Nwakali is the missing piece

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cally
Egg
Egg
Re: Nwakali is the missing piece

Post by Cally »

green4life wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
green4life wrote:Meanwhile we have been told time without number that Arsenal is the best club for our players to sign for because they develop young talent. Chelsea will ruin your career. Etc. etc. Look at Kelechi Nwakali. We are still waiting for Arsenal to show us whatever development plan they have for our boy.
This is a very good point, by the way how many hours does it take the security at Cobham to let Omeruo through even after he tells them he's a Chelsea player?
I haven’t a clue but what I do know is he’s consistently played football in various good leagues in Europe and currently plys his trade in La Liga.

@Cally, there’s nothing wrong with going out on loan as long as the player uses the loan opportunities to get their career off the ground.
I couldn't agree more. So why blame Arsenal for Nwakali when its clear he hasn't used his opportunities well so far? We are saying the same thing.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cally wrote:
green4life wrote:Meanwhile we have been told time without number that Arsenal is the best club for our players to sign for because they develop young talent. Chelsea will ruin your career. Etc. etc. Look at Kelechi Nwakali. We are still waiting for Arsenal to show us whatever development plan they have for our boy.
Oh please! I suggest you concentrate on Chelsea and the 40 to 50 young players they send out on loan every season. Those players come from countries like Nigeria too.

Talking about Nwakali, Arsenal have taken 17,18, and 19 year olds on their pre-season tour after training in london for 2 weeks or so. Kelechi participated in those trainings and from all indications, did not do well enough to earn a place in the tour squad. Arsenal should not get the blame for that.

I support Kelechi and wish him well in his career. I would be happy for him to leave Arsenal as long as he starts playing regularly for a competitive club in Europe. Any call for him to start playing for the SE right now is just simply unfair to him, and to the numerous Nigerian players out there grinding week in week out to feature for their clubs.

I just saw one Akintola score for Rosenberg in the UEFA Champions League yesterday sef.
Arsenal have got two kiddy Nigerians on that tour, both of whom scored yesterday, including 17 yr old Bukayo Saka the "new Messi" they're calling him.
https://www.legit.ng/1249135-bukayo-sak ... apids.html

So what's Nwakali's excuse?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

X
Last edited by green4life on Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

green4life wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
This is a very good point, by the way how many hours does it take the security at Cobham to let Omeruo through even after he tells them he's a Chelsea player?
I haven’t a clue but what I do know is he’s consistently played football in various good leagues in Europe and currently plys his trade in La Liga.

@Cally, there’s nothing wrong with going out on loan as long as the player uses the loan opportunities to get their career off the ground. At Arsenal, a club that supposedly guarantees the best development for young talents, Nwakali has become a forgotten man.
Maybe there's an unspeakable truth in there somewhere - somn about unfulfilled potential?

We are still struggling with the undeniable fact that excelling at the U17 level guarantees absolutely nothing because the attrition rate is unbelievably high.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Damunk wrote:
Cally wrote:
Oh please! I suggest you concentrate on Chelsea and the 40 to 50 young players they send out on loan every season. Those players come from countries like Nigeria too.

Talking about Nwakali, Arsenal have taken 17,18, and 19 year olds on their pre-season tour after training in london for 2 weeks or so. Kelechi participated in those trainings and from all indications, did not do well enough to earn a place in the tour squad. Arsenal should not get the blame for that.

I support Kelechi and wish him well in his career. I would be happy for him to leave Arsenal as long as he starts playing regularly for a competitive club in Europe. Any call for him to start playing for the SE right now is just simply unfair to him, and to the numerous Nigerian players out there grinding week in week out to feature for their clubs.

I just saw one Akintola score for Rosenberg in the UEFA Champions League yesterday sef.
Arsenal have got two kiddy Nigerians on that tour, both of whom scored yesterday, including 17 yr old Bukayo Saka the "new Messi" they're calling him.

Dokita na wa for you o ...Comparing Nwakali that was born in Nigeria and did not qualify for special talent pool to stay with Arsenal youth when he was bought to Saka and the other kids with british passport is reaching abeg. Dont do that abeg.

Recall the senior nwakali and Kelechi got into City academy this same time but due to visa/work permit only Kelechi ( nacho ) stayed the other Nwakali was loaned out and has achieved the same fate as the younger.

Even Kelechi ( Nacho ) has had it rough , some of this up and downs with these kids ( i mean mental state ) has affected their development, its easy to blame it all on them not taking their chances but we all forget they are young and kids make big mistakes ..

I do believe in a lot of our young players who are struggling now that they will come good as the mature - Awoniyi ( loserpool ) Oshimen ( Wolfsburg , now to backwater ) The Nwakali's and Iheanacho .. the rest I cant say but thse are legit and will come good with time.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Cally wrote:

Dokita na wa for you o ...Comparing Nwakali that was born in Nigeria and did not qualify for special talent pool to stay with Arsenal youth when he was bought to Saka and the other kids with british passport is reaching abeg. Dont do that abeg.

Recall the senior nwakali and Kelechi got into City academy this same time but due to visa/work permit only Kelechi ( nacho ) stayed the other Nwakali was loaned out and has achieved the same fate as the younger.

Even Kelechi ( Nacho ) has had it rough , some of this up and downs with these kids ( i mean mental state ) has affected their development, its easy to blame it all on them not taking their chances but we all forget they are young and kids make big mistakes ..

I do believe in a lot of our young players who are struggling now that they will come good as the mature - Awoniyi ( loserpool ) Oshimen ( Wolfsburg , now to backwater ) The Nwakali's and Iheanacho .. the rest I cant say but thse are legit and will come good with time.
Siddonlook, it not about comparing one with another.
Its the undeniable fact that very, very few U17 stars continue on that trajectory.
If the Nwakali brothers can't get into EPL squads for work permit reasons, sebi they should at least be making an impact in the 'lesser' leagues of Europe?
That they are not doing so may be no fault of their own but like I said, its part of the natural drop-out rate we see all the time in football. Chidera Ezeh, Musa Yahaya, Akinjide Idowu, Musa Mohammed. Dele Alampasu (2013) seem to be somewhere on the planet in hiding
Its hard for our boys but let's not deny the fact that its hard for all young footballers.
Watch any documentary on how young players get dropped and not singed up by their clubs after years of dedicated hard work and sacrifice - its heart-breaking.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

I do believe in a lot of our young players who are struggling now that they will come good as the mature - Awoniyi ( loserpool ) Oshimen ( Wolfsburg , now to backwater ) The Nwakali's and Iheanacho .. the rest I cant say but thse are legit and will come good with time.[/quote]Siddonlook, it not about comparing one with another.
Its the undeniable fact that very, very few U17 stars continue on that trajectory.
If the Nwakali brothers can't get into EPL squads for work permit reasons, sebi they should at least be making an impact in the 'lesser' leagues of Europe?
That they are not doing so may be no fault of their own but like I said, its part of the natural drop-out rate we see all the time in football. Chidera Ezeh, Musa Yahaya, Akinjide Idowu, Musa Mohammed. Dele Alampasu (2013) seem to be somewhere on the planet in hiding
Its hard for our boys but let's not deny the fact that its hard for all young footballers.
Watch any documentary on how young players get dropped and not singed up by their clubs after years of dedicated hard work and sacrifice - its heart-breaking.[/quote]

I agree with you on that " many many worldwide dont make it " ... but the point I am making is they have other barriers working against them that the world others dont have ..basically in addition to the fact that most dont make it, the ones from Africa and generally third countries seperated from family at such young ages have MORE issues to contend with and more hurdles to climb and in other to beat these additional odds they have to be very very very special , infact they cannot be average.

However Lookman, Iwobi, and the two kids you mention can be average and make it ..why ? simple but important differences, culture ( encompassing food, family friends, support etc ) While Iwobi and co go home to sleep while in arsenal school - Kelechi lived in mancity camp .. Taiwo awoniyi will live in a dutch village where he has no friend except for club mates. Check on youtube for a video of Nwakali living in some dutch village where is was one of few black people as an 18 year old ..e no easy o. and those things weigh on your mind in practice etc.

Make we no flog this issue too much but also search for and watch Yannis's ( the Basket ball naija greek guys video ) where he was going to withdraw from draft because his bro and family did not make it from greece no passport .... He was so so so lonely he gave his agent ultimatum ... Today he is big but no one will remember those dark times.

And this is why I am biased - these boys need all the chances they can get from Nigeria , if we keep waiting for Porto to help us , I fear Nwakali may never make it.

I blame Nigeria for not having a thriving league and system to help :(
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Siddonlook11 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Siddonlook11 wrote:I do believe in a lot of our young players who are struggling now that they will come good as the mature - Awoniyi ( loserpool ) Oshimen ( Wolfsburg , now to backwater ) The Nwakali's and Iheanacho .. the rest I cant say but thse are legit and will come good with time.
Siddonlook, it not about comparing one with another.
Watch any documentary on how young players get dropped and not singed up by their clubs after years of dedicated hard work and sacrifice - its heart-breaking.

I agree with you on that " many many worldwide dont make it " ... but the point I am making is they have other barriers working against them that the world others dont have ..basically in addition to the fact that most dont make it, the ones from Africa and generally third countries seperated from family at such young ages have MORE issues to contend with and more hurdles to climb and in other to beat these additional odds they have to be very very very special , infact they cannot be average.

However Lookman, Iwobi, and the two kids you mention can be average and make it ..why ? simple but important differences, culture ( encompassing food, family friends, support etc ) While Iwobi and co go home to sleep while in arsenal school - Kelechi lived in mancity camp .. Taiwo awoniyi will live in a dutch village where he has no friend except for club mates. Check on youtube for a video of Nwakali living in some dutch village where is was one of few black people as an 18 year old ..e no easy o. and those things weigh on your mind in practice etc.

Make we no flog this issue too much but also search for and watch Yannis's ( the Basket ball naija greek guys video ) where he was going to withdraw from draft because his bro and family did not make it from greece no passport .... He was so so so lonely he gave his agent ultimatum ... Today he is big but no one will remember those dark times.

And this is why I am biased - these boys need all the chances they can get from Nigeria , if we keep waiting for Porto to help us , I fear Nwakali may never make it.

I blame Nigeria for not having a thriving league and system to help :(
AT THE END OF THE DAY, THIS IS THE KOKO :thumb:
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

We are discussing the future of SE and someone is suggesting that Nwakali is the future.

It is threads like this that make my blood boil. :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

Nwakali? Thankfully Rohr is not that stupid.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
kzz5joa
Egg
Egg

Post by kzz5joa »

Why do we keep looking for what does not exist? While it is true that we seem to have a conveyor belt of talent and potential, there appears to be no evidence of a process or program to nurture these kids so that they fulfill their potential. It almost seems that we expect that the existence of potential is a guarantee of fulfillment. It is quite obvious that the current strategy of sending them to Europe is not working. Therefore, until we get an FA that sets about putting structures in place to see this happen, we will continue to see kids with immense talent and potential only to see them falter on the big stage. Maybe this is also symptomatic of our lack of a maintenance culture.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

kzz5joa wrote:Why do we keep looking for what does not exist? While it is true that we seem to have a conveyor belt of talent and potential, there appears to be no evidence of a process or program to nurture these kids so that they fulfill their potential. It almost seems that we expect that the existence of potential is a guarantee of fulfillment. It is quite obvious that the current strategy of sending them to Europe is not working. Therefore, until we get an FA that sets about putting structures in place to see this happen, we will continue to see kids with immense talent and potential only to see them falter on the big stage. Maybe this is also symptomatic of our lack of a maintenance culture.
KPOMEST!

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Nwakali's talent of now or yesteryear? Yes, Nigeria need to refresh but in the process, must look at their selection criteria. Nwakali may be a flavour of the month, but is there evidence to substantiate this clamour? Once upon a time, the English Championship was a cesspit and sewer to "small boy" for big boy Nigeria. What then of the comparatively inferior second tier? How does this translate to the missing benzene ring in our otherwise cumbersome crude oil? Theres no teacher beyond experience and needless to say, theres a difference between Grange Hill and Hogwarts.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kzz5joa wrote:Why do we keep looking for what does not exist? While it is true that we seem to have a conveyor belt of talent and potential, there appears to be no evidence of a process or program to nurture these kids so that they fulfill their potential. It almost seems that we expect that the existence of potential is a guarantee of fulfillment. It is quite obvious that the current strategy of sending them to Europe is not working. Therefore, until we get an FA that sets about putting structures in place to see this happen, we will continue to see kids with immense talent and potential only to see them falter on the big stage. Maybe this is also symptomatic of our lack of a maintenance culture.
Which strategy is this and who's?
Nobody is 'sending' kids to Europe. They are being poached because they can hardly earn a decent living playing football at home. Mr Foreigner comes along, offers them the very basics and off they go to obscure places like Indonesia, Vietnam and the Rep of Kutuwenji.

With the level of football interest in Nigeria and our population, I really don't know why clubs are still unable to run a club and pay decent wages to their players.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Damunk wrote:
Nobody is 'sending' kids to Europe. They are being poached because they can hardly earn a decent living playing football at home. Mr Foreigner comes along, offers them the very basics and off they go to obscure places like Indonesia, Vietnam and the Rep of Kutuwenji.

With the level of football interest in Nigeria and our population, I really don't know why clubs are still unable to run a club and pay decent wages to their players.
Doc, you are missing his wider point. The lack of a sustainable programme of local league, player and coach development.

We have been reliant for a while on foreign based professionals. We do not seem to have anything resembling a footballing identity on the pitch. Almost seems like every now and then, we throw 22 players together and hope for the best.

kzz5joa
Egg
Egg

Post by kzz5joa »

Damunk wrote:

When we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail. Strategy might be the wrong word, but we somewhat rely on these European leagues to bring out the best in our players. I could almost bet it that the goal of our academies is to prepare our players to be poached by Foreign clubs so that is really what I was referring to. Regardless, football is so loved in Nigeria that it is sure to turn a real profit if we treat it so. But maybe we are just too short-sighted as a nation.
kzz5joa
Egg
Egg

Post by kzz5joa »

cchinukw wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Doc, you are missing his wider point. The lack of a sustainable programme of local league, player and coach development.

We have been reliant for a while on foreign based professionals. We do not seem to have anything resembling a footballing identity on the pitch. Almost seems like every now and then, we throw 22 players together and hope for the best.
You forgot to add that we always think there is some player toiling away under some bridge (probably in ajegunle) who would turn our fortunes around. We have been believing this fantastical myth for a long time and we still do.

I'm sorry, but Segun Odegami ain't walking through that door, Finidi George is not on his way back, Emmanuel Amunike ain't picking up his boots anytime soon, Amokachie ain't showing up anytime soon, JJ Okocha has already hung up his boots, Kanu Nwankwo can only be an ambassador now. Unless we develop these players, we ain't seen them no more
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kzz5joa wrote:
Damunk wrote:

When we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail. Strategy might be the wrong word, but we somewhat rely on these European leagues to bring out the best in our players. I could almost bet it that the goal of our academies is to prepare our players to be poached by Foreign clubs so that is really what I was referring to. Regardless, football is so loved in Nigeria that it is sure to turn a real profit if we treat it so. But maybe we are just too short-sighted as a nation.
Yeah, I picked up on your use of the word 'strategy' becos it sounded like you believed it was a deliberate policy.
I agree with everything you say otherwise.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kzz5joa wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
Damunk wrote:

You forgot to add that we always think there is some player toiling away under some bridge (probably in ajegunle) who would turn our fortunes around. We have been believing this fantastical myth for a long time and we still do.

I'm sorry, but Segun Odegami ain't walking through that door, Finidi George is not on his way back, Emmanuel Amunike ain't picking up his boots anytime soon, Amokachie ain't showing up anytime soon, JJ Okocha has already hung up his boots, Kanu Nwankwo can only be an ambassador now. Unless we develop these players, we ain't seen them no more
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I hear this all the time on CE. Even during the hysteria of the U20 WC, someone said he could assemble 11 talented players from "under the bridge" and they'd beat the U20 team easily.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Good point there. The secret missing ingredient for Nigerian football is an unproven and untested reserve team player that has not played a single top flight match in his entire career. Nigeria should gamble and pick him even though he was not good enough to get into an Arsenal team in transition, or into Porto's first team. Even though he is playing reserve team football, he is better than more experienced players ahead of him who have played first team football for years, and who have experience of playing in the World Cup, Olympics, and AFCON. Mschew.

:dream:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Kudos to Etebo for his work rate and hustling but we need Nwakali to start playing regularly somewhere and take his rightful position on this team. He’s already better than Etebo at fks and he brings passing and better ball possession. I just don’t see any other player in that position that is better. Pls Arsenal, sell him for cheap and let our boy go to a real team.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

wiseone wrote:Good point there. The secret missing ingredient for Nigerian football is an unproven and untested reserve team player that has not played a single top flight match in his entire career. Nigeria should gamble and pick him even though he was not good enough to get into an Arsenal team in transition, or into Porto's first team. Even though he is playing reserve team football, he is better than more experienced players ahead of him who have played first team football for years, and who have experience of playing in the World Cup, Olympics, and AFCON. Mschew.

:dream:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Kudos to Etebo for his work rate and hustling but we need Nwakali to start playing regularly somewhere and take his rightful position on this team. He’s already better than Etebo at fks and he brings passing and better ball possession. I just don’t see any other player in that position that is better. Pls Arsenal, sell him for cheap and let our boy go to a real team.

No need to think too hard, Its not complicated. Nwakali has a set of skills and abilities that's desperately needed on this team now. I did note that he needs to start playing regularly to be able to make the team so your attempt at being clever failed. there's no other nigerian player better suited for the AM/CM position than he is. Fact!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Tobi17 wrote:
YUJAM wrote:
ANC wrote:I am not going to be dismissive of the Emir just because Nwakali is currently not playing topflight football. Drogba was on top of the world but yet could do nothing for the elephants. This is the reason why you need a solid league in Africa. Whats great for Europe may not always be what is needed for an African team. Kids that have proven themselves nationally for Nigeria, should be given the chance at some point to see if they are a good fit. Right now. Etebo aint it, he has poor football making decisions. Somebody with a strong work rate and good ball passing sense could do wonders for the eagles. Give Nwakali a try.
I won't let you peddle falsehoods here. 65 goals for CIV in 105 games. Three WC qualifications and two ANC finals is what Drogba did for CIv. Drogba helped put them on the world map

As for Nwakali, believe what you want, but the criteria for picking SE players is first team football. The idea that it is the Oyinbo who is somehow holding this guy back is just straight up ridiculous. How many 100s of Nigerian players have played first team football in Europe despite Oyinbo holding them back. Give me a break :roll:
DD is the Messi of CIV, what did he win for CIV? That's why I laugh when people compare him to Etoo.
Tobi, what did George Weah win for Liberia?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Nwakali is now ready to step up.
http://www.naijiant.com/
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:Nwakali is now ready to step up.
What is he doing at the Arsenal hotel? Washing plate? Because he damn well ain't played a got'dang minute all pre-season!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?