AFCON 19: All the "Big" teams flopped

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
AFCON 19: All the "Big" teams flopped

Post by Tobi17 »

We can argue that the teams that enjoyed themselves in this tournament were the so called "minnows": Uganda, Kenya, Madagascar etc played some gutsy football given their standards, and if moral victory was a trophy... they definitely won the tournament for me. Now the so called big teams massively flopped, I won't even put Nigeria in my top 5 flops cause we pretty much had the most inexperienced team plus a tepid coach among the top seeded teams. For me the biggest flops were Ivory Coast and Egypt, the latter are in focus cause they had probably the most complete squad bar Algeria in these tournament... you can't have a team with the likes of Zaha and Pepe among other top players, and still flatter to deceive. Egypt on their own part were the host nation, had a decent squad with a world class player in Salah... yet failed to even make it past the 1/4 final. The rest like Cameroon, Ghana, Morocco, Tunisia were just massive disappointments... Nigeria wasn't far off the disappointing nomenclature either, but with a limited coach, and a team of largely AFCON debuting rookies... you can't really complain about winning third place (standards aside, and considering the circumstances at the very least).

So apparently the best coached team is the one in the FINAL... And that is Algeria, Senegal for me played way below their true potential and were arguably lucky to somehow get to the final.
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON 19: All the "Big" teams flopped

Post by john12 »

Mad lunatic calling your coach that got inexperienced backwater players 3rd position as “Tepic” my friend will you keep quiet
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

I don't see how CIV was a flop at all.

Their entire Defence was out injured and they still took the tournaments best team to penalty kicks. They played by far a much better game against Algeria than both Senegal and Nigeria. I think CIV actually has much to build on from this tournament.

To me the biggest disappointments in this order.

1. Egypt - being outplayed by SA in front of 50,000 soccer mad fans was a disgrace.

2. Morocco - so much promise, so little end product. Flattered to deceive in the end.

3. Cameroon - defending champs never got quite going throughout their short tournament

4. Nigeria - despite finishing 3rd play was very uninspiring, they made it this far simply because teams were worse than them

5. Senegal - yes even though they are in they final they have been piss poor IMO and operating way below their potential. Like Nigeria their opposition has simply just been worse than the Senegalese uninspiring play.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

vancity eagle wrote:I don't see how CIV was a flop at all.

Their entire Defence was out injured and they still took the tournaments best team to penalty kicks. They played by far a much better game against Algeria than both Senegal and Nigeria. I think CIV actually has much to build on from this tournament.

1. Egypt - being outplayed by SA in front of 50,000 soccer mad fans was a disgrace.

2. Morocco - so much promise, so little end product. Flattered to deceive in the end.

3. Cameroon - defending champs never got quite going throughout their short tournament

4. Nigeria - despite finishing 3rd play was very uninspiring, they made it this far simply because teams were worse than them

5. Senegal - yes even though they are in they final they have been piss poor IMO and operating way below their potential. Like Nigeria their opposition has simply just been worse than the Senegalese uninspiring play.
collect the trophy and gold medals, and dash them to your beloved CIV then.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

A team in the finals is a disappointment? nwoke, you need to stop mixing tapioka water with your kaikai.. wtf are you on about? :roll:
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

collect the trophy and gold medals, and dash them to your beloved CIV then.
Vankitty is 30% Nigerian, 60% Ivorian and 10% Marijuanian!
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

john12 wrote:Mad lunatic calling your coach that got inexperienced backwater players 3rd position as “Tepic” my friend will you keep quiet
This mad man, when did you start watching the Eagles?

Before Rohr there were Marotzek, Goller, Hoener, Libregts, and Vogts. Excellent organizers but just didn't fit Naijaria and the way we play the game and the way we think the game should be played.

Even the current German setup was a concerted effort by the GFA to adopt a certain style and went about a rebuilding process. They didn't go and hire any of the numerous retired old players/managers. They sought out young managers.

And the process included a policy of going younger for players who met certain requirements.

There's no method to our madness.

What you would see will be us trying to recruit players from overseas who play like robots. Tough to beat until they meet a better-organized team with a better coach... not better players like you like using as an excuse.

You can't out tiki-taka Spain... you can't out Brazilian-football Brazil.... you can't out German-football Germany. And when these teams meet it is a game on contrasting styles of how the game should be played.

We actually do have a style... a mixture of all 3 plus flair and speed.

That's the point about choosing to retain Rohr. Where will the players come from? Is his style of play good enough to win us trophies?

Or are we just happy and satisfied just participating and getting beat by better teams and you coming here to parrot the same nonsense of we lost to a better team.

When we lost to Mada#$%^*gascar, were they the better team? Do we as Naijaria have an underdog mentality? Nobody that plays us ever considers us an underdog so why should we be the ones considering ourselves as the underdog? He has to change that mindset... and if he doesn't want to change that mindset, he just has to go and go take his gospel to Ghana or other minnows. Not Naijaria.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

CIV was not a flop. They lost to a better team.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Any team that makes it to the SEMI is not a flop. Butter it anyway you want it the facts remains the same. However, these teams would not make it past round of 16 in the world cup
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Cellular wrote:
john12 wrote:Mad lunatic calling your coach that got inexperienced backwater players 3rd position as “Tepic” my friend will you keep quiet

Before Rohr there were Marotzek, Goller, Hoener, Libregts, and Vogts. Excellent organizers but just didn't fit Naijaria and the way we play the game and thing the game should be played.

Even the current German setup was a concerted effort by the GFA to adopt a certain style and went about a rebuilding process. They didn't go and hire any of the numerous retired old players/managers. They sought out young managers.

And the process included a policy of going younger for players who met certain requirements.

What you would see will be us trying to recruit players from overseas who play like robots. Tough to beat until they meet a better-organized team with a better coach... not better players like you like using as an excuse.

You can't out tiki-taka Spain... you can't out Brazilian-football Brazil.... you can't out German-football Germany. And when these teams meet it is a game on contrasting styles of how the game should be played.

That's the point about choosing to retain Rohr. Where will the players come from? Is his style of play good enough to win us trophies?

Or are we just happy and satisfied just participating and getting beat by better teams and you coming here to parrot the same nonsense of we lost to a better team.

When we lost to Mada#$%^*gascar, were they the better team? Do we as Naijaria have an underdog mentality? Nobody that plays us ever considers us an underdog so why should we be the ones considering ourselves as the underdog? He has to change that mindset... and if he doesn't want to change that mindset, he just has to go and go take his gospel to Ghana or other minnows. Not Naijaria.
Do we have a technical committee that has defined our style of play and ensures that the coaches retain it? The problem is deeper than the coach else this same NFF would end up picking a coach from Championship.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Do we have a technical committee that has defined our style of play and ensures that the coaches retain it? The problem is deeper than the coach else this same NFF would end up picking a coach from Championship.
Bro, that is why I have a problem with quickly endorsing him to continue.

Golden Bronze has NEVER been good enough for us.

I hope they have a plan for how to get the personnel he needs. Maybe reshuffle some of his assistants.

Have been a big proponent of identifying players who play in positions of need and make a concerted effort of inviting them so that they can qualify for work permits so they can play for their parent clubs where they can get better coaching. Need NFF to put pressure on the players on what they need to do to qualify to play for the Eagles. Increase competition and options.

Also, more opportunities for him to scouting and playing friendlies.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Before Rohr there were Marotzek, Goller, Hoener, Libregts, and Vogts. Excellent organizers but just didn't fit Naijaria and the way we play the game and thing the game should be played.

Good luck on getting a technical committee that would have one voice.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Tobi17 wrote:. The rest like Cameroon, Ghana, Morocco, Tunisia were just massive disappointments... .
Why have you put Ghana there as a Big Team?