IGHALO RETIRES FROM SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ighalo not coming back

Post by Gooner1 »

big mistake......let sleeping dogs lie
the AFCON is way behind other international tourneys as regards technical quality
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...too much confusion for land

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: IGHALO RETIRES FROM SE

Post by Enugu II »

BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:He retires with one of the highest scoring ratio EVER for Nigeriia. He was scoring at a clip of 0.45 per game. Compare to Usiyan (0.57), Yekini (0.56), Odegbami (0.50), Martins (0.41), Ike Uche (0.39), and Aiyegbeni (0.36). You may state what you like but the stats remain firm and now etched in HISTORY. Shares highest individual scoring record for a Nigerian representative at an AFCON.
My Guy ...
We should also look at minutes played per game and all the other variables that ultimately affect the 0.45 per game stat you cite .. :mrgreen:

I d be more interested in the Goals per Minutes Played Stat than Goals per game .. I mean in two minutes on the field yesterday Kalu forced the goalie to make more saves than Igalo probably did in 6 games ..

Chief we can play the stat game all day :mrgreen:
BAP,

Well, here is the stats you requested. Ighalo actually does better in goal/per minute. He is third among those listed, right behind the leader (Usiyan) and Yekini but ahead of the rest. So what do you think now?

1 goal/minutes
Aiyegbeni 1/168 ---- TOTAL MINUTES = 3526 minutes
Ighalo 1/138 ----- 2205 minutes
Martins 1/158 ------ 2851 minutes
Odegbami 1/165 ----- 3948 minutes
Usiyen 1/128 -------- 1915 minutes
Uche 1/159 ------- 3019 minutes
Yekini 1/132 ----- 4883 minutes

Now, move the goal posts :rotf: :mrgreen:

Just for jokes and because you mentioned him, here is Samuel Kalu's goals per minute for Nigeria:

S. Kalu 1/542 ------ 542 minutes
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

cchinukw wrote:Thank God. Let him enjoy his bronze medal. Hopefully we'll be able to aim for the trophy next time.

At least him better pass Makinwa and Brown Ideye. :taunt: :taunt:

Brown Ideye was not so bad.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I don't know what to believe - at all. Thus, as it is, I assume the young man is still retired from our national team.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
BAP
Egg
Egg

Post by BAP »

Enugu II wrote:
BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:He retires with one of the highest scoring ratio EVER for Nigeriia. He was scoring at a clip of 0.45 per game. Compare to Usiyan (0.57), Yekini (0.56), Odegbami (0.50), Martins (0.41), Ike Uche (0.39), and Aiyegbeni (0.36). You may state what you like but the stats remain firm and now etched in HISTORY. Shares highest individual scoring record for a Nigerian representative at an AFCON.
My Guy ...
We should also look at minutes played per game and all the other variables that ultimately affect the 0.45 per game stat you cite .. :mrgreen:

I d be more interested in the Goals per Minutes Played Stat than Goals per game .. I mean in two minutes on the field yesterday Kalu forced the goalie to make more saves than Igalo probably did in 6 games ..

BAP,

Well, here is the stats you requested. Ighalo actually does better in goal/per minute. He is third among those listed, right behind the leader (Usiyan) and Yekini but ahead of the rest. So what do you think now?

1 goal/minutes

Just for jokes and because you mentioned him, here is Samuel Kalu's goals per minute for Nigeria:

Chief, Ighalo is a pure nine while many of the people you mention didnt play as pure # Nines
Martins and Uche often played as support strikers and Odegbami was primarily a winger

So of all the pure #9's the only one Ighalo beats in GPM is Aiyegbeni :mrgreen:
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Odas wrote:I don't know what to believe - at all. Thus, as it is, I assume the young man is still retired from our national team.
Again in Nigeria we impose complexity (e.g rumors) on things that are rather simple and expand energy in untangling ourselves from the complexities we create. - Expanding tons of energy but rarely moving forward
JACKAL
Egg
Egg
JUST WHEN HE WAS BEGINNING TO GET GOOD, IGHALO QUIT

Post by JACKAL »

I cant believing I am writing this..!!

The truth is Ighalo only just started to score meaningful goals for the Eagles in the last 12 Months. Most of the goals he scored for us before the 2 back to back Libya games in the AFCON qualifiers were mostly scored in friendlies, or they were Penalties. His only goal agaisnt real opposition was the 1 goal he scored agaisnt Cameroon in the WC qualifier.

Suddenly, the coach was threathing to drop him. That, coupled with death threats to his family and then he woke up and started scoring in the Libya game. Since that game he has shown a consistency that he never showed before. He demonstrated skill, awareness and determination to succeed in the last year. This is something that weirdly enough does not show up in African players until they are in their 30's.

Now he is getting the accolades, the recognition, heck even Barcelona is paying attention to him, then he decides to quit.

WHAT A MORON !!!!! :curse: :curse: :curse:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg
Re: JUST WHEN HE WAS BEGINNING TO GET GOOD, IGHALO QUIT

Post by Synopsis »

Posts like this is why he's quitting.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Ighalo is washed up! We don't need him!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

JACKAL wrote:I cant believing I am writing this..!!

The truth is Ighalo only just started to score meaningful goals for the Eagles in the last 12 Months. Most of the goals he scored for us before the 2 back to back Libya games in the AFCON qualifiers were mostly scored in friendlies, or they were Penalties. His only goal agaisnt real opposition was the 1 goal he scored agaisnt Cameroon in the WC qualifier.

Suddenly, the coach was threathing to drop him. That, coupled with death threats to his family and then he woke up and started scoring in the Libya game. Since that game he has shown a consistency that he never showed before. He demonstrated skill, awareness and determination to succeed in the last year. This is something that weirdly enough does not show up in African players until they are in their 30's.

Now he is getting the accolades, the recognition, heck even Barcelona is paying attention to him, then he decides to quit.

Well, if he improved because of threats by coach and the fans, perhaps fans should threaten him to reverse his retirement from the Super-eagles. What do you think?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Odas wrote:
JACKAL wrote:I cant believing I am writing this..!!

Well, if he improved because of threats by coach and the fans, perhaps fans should threaten him to reverse his retirement from the Super-eagles. What do you think?
Fans don't need him. We have sent him off and wish him well for the future and all. :sneaky:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Went out with his golden boot like a boss.....Thanks for your service.

One less scapegoat for CE noisemakers.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:BIghalooooooo!!!!!!! Thanks for your contribution, I dunno who the heck we have that will replace you sef...we might be begging you back soon...
Thought Osimhen did ok yesterday. Maybe Iheanacho will get his acts together this season.
:lol: The only thing wrong with Iheanacho is your uninformed opinion :lol: :!:

Cheers.
It's either you don't like Nacho or you his agent.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Undertaker wrote:It is a great day in Nigerian football history! Another overrated chinese league player retires from the SE? Ighalo was as useless as they come. He had half a good reason at Watford and a below average effort playing for the SE!
Now we see why you named yourself undertaker.....SMH.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

wale1974 wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:BIghalooooooo!!!!!!! Thanks for your contribution, I dunno who the heck we have that will replace you sef...we might be begging you back soon...
Thought Osimhen did ok yesterday. Maybe Iheanacho will get his acts together this season.
:lol: The only thing wrong with Iheanacho is your uninformed opinion :lol: :!:

Cheers.
It's either you don't like Nacho or you his agent.
Mods, you really shouldn’t admit kids into this forum until they’ve reached the age of puberty. Sometimes when I come here, I think I’m on a kiddies cartoon show :idea: :!:

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

BAP wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
BAP wrote:
My Guy ...

BAP,

1 goal/minutes

Chief, Ighalo is a pure nine while many of the people you mention didnt play as pure # Nines
Martins and Uche often played as support strikers and Odegbami was primarily a winger

So of all the pure #9's the only one Ighalo beats in GPM is Aiyegbeni :mrgreen:
BAP,

Are you serious with the highlighted above (that Martins and Uche often played as support strikers)? Abeg, who were the strikers that they supported? I am truly surprised by that take as the records are there to be easily examined. Martins played a great deal with Nwankwo Kanu, for instance. Are you stating that Kanu was the pure striker in those games? In the case of Ikechukwu Uche, he did play quite a lot as the most advanced player but also as a second striker.

The bottomline is while you may not admire Ighalo's play (I don't either), there is no denial of his scoring output for Nigeria. No amount of goal post shifting will do. He deserves the accolades that he gets as a pure goal scorer. The records speak clearly on this. Instead of goal shifting, accept Ighalo's records and respect it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

History rewrite begins. Ighalo do not let the door hit your back.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Thanks for your service. You will be missed. Some of your critics will soon be calling for your return when the goals dry up.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
We need another Ighalo to keep the dominance over Cameroon

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] It appears nobody has noticed the fact that whenever Odion Ighalo is on the pitch for Nigeria, Cameroon is toast
[2] Make no mistake it about, this is not accidental. he is the one player who can match them muscle for muscle
[3] Those Indomitable wrestlers got their way over Nigeria in the past by outmuscling us. With Ighalo, their centrebacks suddenly found out that they no longer had an advantage over Nigeria
[4] Both with his back to goal and when facing it, Ighalo gives the Cameroonians as good as he gets
[5] Now, who eats more plantain out of Osimhen, Kayode and Onuachu? It should be a key determinant about who gets the number nine shirt
[6] In 2000, if we had Ighalo playing, we would easily have beaten Cameroon in that final
[7] It maybe that Rohr has to place his new targetman on a special plantain diet so he can hold the ball up well
[8] Pace is of no use to you when the opposing defence sits back ans there is no space between the back four and the goalkeeper. What you need is to have both options, so you can run behind them when they hold a high line and play the ball to a targetman to hold it up when they defend deep
[9] When the ball stops sticking upfront, some of you will start to appreciate Ighalo. He has his faults but at least we known he can perform that role well
[10] Alternatively, should the NFF make it compulsory that all Eagles eat plantain daily?
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We need another Ighalo to keep the dominance over Camero

Post by wale1974 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] It appears nobody has noticed the fact that whenever Odion Ighalo is on the pitch for Nigeria, Cameroon is toast
[2] Make no mistake it about, this is not accidental. he is the one player who can match them muscle for muscle
[3] Those Indomitable wrestlers got their way over Nigeria in the past by outmuscling us. With Ighalo, their centrebacks suddenly found out that they no longer had an advantage over Nigeria
[4] Both with his back to goal and when facing it, Ighalo gives the Cameroonians as good as he gets
[5] Now, who eats more plantain out of Osimhen, Kayode and Onuachu? It should be a key determinant about who gets the number nine shirt
[6] In 2000, if we had Ighalo playing, we would easily have beaten Cameroon in that final
[7] It maybe that Rohr has to place his new targetman on a special plantain diet so he can hold the ball up well
[8] Pace is of no use to you when the opposing defence sits back ans there is no space between the back four and the goalkeeper. What you need is to have both options, so you can run behind them when they hold a high line and play the ball to a targetman to hold it up when they defend deep
[9] When the ball stops sticking upfront, some of you will start to appreciate Ighalo. He has his faults but at least we known he can perform that role well
[10] Alternatively, should the NFF make it compulsory that all Eagles eat plantain daily?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Time for Stephen Odey, David Okereke, Victor Osimhen, Paul Onuahu, and Henry Onyekuru to shine upfront
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Ighalo is one of the best strikers in GWG.
If only our wingers could serve him better balls.
The penalty against ALgeria was one of the best ever taken.
One thing that still pisses me off about him is his miss against Argentina in the last World Cup. On that level, there are no acceptable excuses.

If we do not improve on our crosses or passing close to and around the eighteen yard box, fans will be calling for the retirement of any replacement #9

W E L L D O N E O D I O N I G H A L O :clap: :clap: