Ranked: Nigeria's best defensive midfielders

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg
Ranked: Nigeria's best defensive midfielders

Post by Ezesportsworld »

1. Mudashiru Lawal.
2. John michael Obi
3. Sunday Oliseh.
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Ademola Adeshina.

Well done Mikel , African legend ...thanks for your years of service for Nigeria.
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ranked: Nigeria's best defensive midfielders

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Mikel over Oliseh is a tough tough one to decide. Happy to have them all.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Ezesportsworld wrote:1. Mudashiru Lawal.
2. John michael Obi
3. Sunday Oliseh.
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Ademola Adeshina.

Well done Mikel , African legend ...thanks for your years of service for Nigeria.
Midfielders or defensive Midfielders. MudaL awal was an attacking Midfielder, and Oliseh was a defensive Midfielder.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

...And Mudashiru can score.

If time can be reversed, we will have Garba Okoye and Muda as attacking midfielders,
with Oliseh and Mikel as the DMs.
With Usiyen as the striker, we would have been lethal.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Oliseh > Mikel any day.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Oliseh over Mikel
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

1. Oliseh
2. Mikel
3. Ndidi
4. Etebo
5. Muda Lawal (never saw him that much so I can't rank him above people I see play against top players game in game out)
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Mikel NEVER played defensive midfield for Nigeria. He’s played mostly as a playmaker, and at times, central midfielder.

So your ranking doesn’t make sense ...and if you dare compare Mikel to Okocha, I go submit petition

I for one have always felt that for some unexplained reason, Mikel worked in that position for 10 years at Chelsea. I don’t know why but I think Jose’s alchemy was responsible

But....

If you told me that Nigeria was about to play a big match, and Mikel would be the shield in front of our defense, my heart would be in my mouth for 90 mins. I just don’t think that kind of player can work in that position for Nigeria.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Ndidi
Ademola Adeshina (I just like the name)
Ndidi
Ndidi
Oliseh.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sir V wrote:
2. John michael Obi
3. Sunday Oliseh.
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Ademola Adeshina.

Midfielders or defensive Midfielders. MudaL awal was an attacking Midfielder, and Oliseh was a defensive Midfielder.
Me sef dey scratch head for that one.....
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

1. Lawal
2. Oliseh
3. Mikel
4. Ndidi
5. Adeshina

Etebo is not a defensive midfielder.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Thompson Oliha (RIP)was one of the finest midfielders Nigeria has ever produced.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

But Oliha played from the bench
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Ezesportsworld wrote:But Oliha played from the bench
From which bench? The one in your palour?
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

2. John michael Obi
3. Sunday Oliseh.
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Ademola Adeshina.

I would have thought Muda Lawal was an attacking midfielder. Perhaps he kind of overlapped. Great one there.

I would include the headmaster above Adesina.
The blockbuster nko????
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

Wasn’t Haruna Ilerika an attacking midfielder too? A today’s number 10 position? I thought that was the position he played in for the winning Nigeria ‘s ‘73 All Africa team. He reminds me of Chukwueze of that era...
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:
2. John michael Obi
3. Sunday Oliseh.
4. Sam Garba Okoye.
5. Ademola Adeshina.

Sir V,

They were just midfielders. This differentiation between defensive and central and attacking was not always there. It is much easier to compare them as midfielders. It is like differentiating a wide midfielder from a winger of those days. How can one then set up an all time team if these minor differences are established as obstacles? I do not even think Muda was an attacking midfielder? So what was Aloysius Atuegbu or what was Henry Nwosu who all were part of the same team. Of those three, Muda was in fact the most defensive. Yes, he did score but so did Atuegbu and Henry.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

For all the insults mikel gets at that DM position he dosent just give opponents free freekicks. His actually a good “deep lying DM” not a foul magnet like ndidi
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

This is a tough one and the names already mentioned deserve super credit. Muda Lawal was a central midfielder who defended but that was not his best quality. Muda covered every blade of the grass, a good dribbler who scored goals but he was best at placing serious passes; long, short, crossfield lobs and defence splitting passes.

But how can we put together a list of best DMs and leave out (for me) one of the most versatile ever, tough and fearsome in defence, magnificent at tackling and played with supreme confidence and self belief; Sylvanus Okpalla.

My top 5 DMs are:

Sunday Oliseh
JM Obi
Sylvanus Okpalla
Ademola Adeshina
Sam Garba Okoye
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ndidi is no way in the discussion. He breaks up well but offers little else, the guy doesnt even threaten to score with his air. he's a pure destroyer and thats it.
OCCUPY NFF!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

deanotito wrote: I for one have always felt that for some unexplained reason, Mikel worked in that position for 10 years at Chelsea. I don’t know why but I think Jose’s alchemy was responsible..
He worked in that position at Chelsea because he was very tactically disciplined in terms of his positioning/ awareness/ reading of the game AND his superior ball control skills and passing accuracy. When you infuse his strengths into a disciplined midfield where each player covers their roles and complements the team, weaknesses of each player involved in the team will be mitigated. Mikel was smart enough to understand that concept early on and therefore played within himself which allowed his teammates and team to function at the highest level. World class Coach after world class coach almost every year were hired by Chelsea and each ended up playing him significantly on teams that won big trophies almost annually for the 10 years.
deanotito wrote: If you told me that Nigeria was about to play a big match, and Mikel would be the shield in front of our defense, my heart would be in my mouth for 90 mins. I just don’t think that kind of player can work in that position for Nigeria.
Mikel was never a traditional 'midfield shield' for the super eagles. That is not to say that he couldn't have played the position at the highest level for Nigeria during his prime but the reality was Nigeria needed a lot more from Mikel than sitting in front of a back 4. Nevertheless, Mikel was one of the best players in the ANC in 2013 which was won by Nigeria. He also was an influential player in many qualifiers that led to WC campaigns in 2010, 2014 & 2018. ... in addition to the bronze Olympic medal in Brazil where he effectively carried the team on his back and also through his checkbook to mask organizational shortfalls from the Olympic team administrators.

My hope for the current and future SE players is to experience at least a fair percentage of the success enjoyed by Mikel over his illustrious Chelsea and Super Eagles career. #properlegend.
Last edited by green4life on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:
deanotito wrote: I for one have always felt that for some unexplained reason, Mikel worked in that position for 10 years at Chelsea. I don’t know why but I think Jose’s alchemy was responsible..
He worked in that position at Chelsea because he was very tactically disciplined in terms of his positioning/ awareness/ reading of the game AND his superior ball control skills and passing accuracy. When you infuse his strengths into a disciplined midfield where each player covers their roles and complements the team, weaknesses of each player involved in the team will be mitigated. Mikel was smart enough to understand that concept early on and therefore played within himself which allowed his teammates and team to function at the highest level. World class Coach after world class coach almost every year were hired by Chelsea and each ended up playing him significantly on teams that won big trophies almost annually for the 10 years.
deanotito wrote: If you told me that Nigeria was about to play a big match, and Mikel would be the shield in front of our defense, my heart would be in my mouth for 90 mins. I just don’t think that kind of player can work in that position for Nigeria.
Mikel was never a traditional 'midfield shield' for the super eagles. That is not to say that he couln't have played the position at the highest level for Nigeria during his prime but the reality was Nigeria needed a lot more from Mikel than sitting in front of a back 4. Nevertheless, Mikel was one of the best players in the ANC in 2013 which was won by Nigeria. He also was an influential player in many qualifiers that led to WC campaigns in 2010, 2014 & 2018.

My hope for the current and future SE players is to experience at least a fair percentage of the success enjoyed by Mikel over his illustrious Chelsea and Super Eagles career. #properlegend.
G4L,

He was possibly the BEST player not just one of the best. I like your breakdown. It seems many have forgotten how wonderful a player he was at his prime and for years his play was the determinant on how successful the SE would be in a game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Mutiu Adepoju?
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8