Chidozie Awaziem at CB

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Chidozie Awaziem at CB

Post by john12 »

The boy is the most comfortable on the Ball and fastest among our Defenders. Who else will like to see him at CB?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chidozie Awaziem at CB

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

john12 wrote:The boy is the most comfortable on the Ball and fastest among our Defenders. Who else will like to see him at CB?
He's a beast at CB. He's also the best a defending crosses, i expect him to bench one of troost or omeruo by the end of this year.
OCCUPY NFF!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
john12 wrote:The boy is the most comfortable on the Ball and fastest among our Defenders. Who else will like to see him at CB?
He's a beast at CB. He's also the best a defending crosses, i expect him to bench one of troost or omeruo by the end of this year.
Every up and coming defender has benched Omeruo by mouth until game day. I think our midfield and defense is set. We just need someone to step up and grab the no. 9 spot.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

1naija wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Every up and coming defender has benched Omeruo by mouth until game day. I think our midfield and defense is set. We just need someone to step up and grab the no. 9 spot.
We've got pretty much only Ndidi and Etebo on midfield, how exactly is it set?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

All I know is if Keshi was still coach (RIP), he would be his prototypical type of CD, not the Ekongs and Baloguns who are not comfortable with the ball at their feet. He preferred Omeruo and Oboabona because of this attribute even though Yobo might have been the better overall defender, but our transition from defense to attack suffers with the likes of Yobo who either hoof or pass back to the keeper being that they are mistake prone when they try to do more. You can see Ekong trying to concentrate hard and work on the distribution part of his game, but its just not natural to him esp when his first touch fails him, while it just seems effortless for Awaziem as his first touch is really good giving him more time to pick a pass and he has a better passing range. But Ekong is better defensively than Awaziem so I can see why Rohr prefers him and he works his socks off to improve.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

maceo4 wrote:All I know is if Keshi was still coach (RIP), he would be his prototypical type of CD, not the Ekongs and Baloguns who are not comfortable with the ball at their feet. He preferred Omeruo and Oboabona because of this attribute even though Yobo might have been the better overall defender, but our transition from defense to attack suffers with the likes of Yobo who either hoof or pass back to the keeper being that they are mistake prone when they try to do more. You can see Ekong trying to concentrate hard and work on the distribution part of his game, but its just not natural to him esp when his first touch fails him, while it just seems effortless for Awaziem as his first touch is really good giving him more time to pick a pass and he has a better passing range. But Ekong is better defensively than Awaziem so I can see why Rohr prefers him and he works his socks off to improve.

Spot on - the big thing for me in your post and his play is that Ekong TRIES very hard and you can see the frustration when he gets it wrong but he keeps trying, he did get like 3 or 4 long balls out to musa , very nice diagonals, he also had a few flat on the ground balls to Etebo and Ndidi few Ndidi promptly wasted. Omeruo no try at all he was huffing balls or trying to dribble out ( which funny enough he did well in tunis game , had like 4 dribbles )
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

IN RECENT DAYS...

…how many times have heard me make the same suggestion?
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I really got to like Awaziem in this tournament.
I think of all the players, it was his stature that grew the most.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

You people are funny...a defense that let in 7 goals ...the worst in our history...smh ....all those defenders wont win anything.....open una eyes...we had the worst defense in Afcon and only Tanzania let in more goals
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Awaziem used to be a midfielder, that's how he perfected his range of passing. To move to the next level, he needs to start with one of Ekong/Balogun/Omeruo. He has more experience than Omeruo and Oboabona when they were thrown in. Hopefully his club future is about to be sorted out as Nantes are currently negotiating to buy him from Porto. My only worry is Herr Rohr, a man who is unwilling to make the right decisions.
To those who say Ekong and Omeruo are better defenders, stats from AFCON says otherwise, despite playing out of position, Awaziem was not dribbled past by any attacker, not once was he beaten by a dribble. That's awesome!
I am happy
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:You people are funny...a defense that let in 7 goals ...the worst in our history...smh ....all those defenders wont win anything.....open una eyes...we had the worst defense in Afcon and only Tanzania let in more goals
The thread is about Awaziems performance in the AFCON, not sure how he was culpable for us letting in 7 goals.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Bigpokey24 wrote:You people are funny...a defense that let in 7 goals ...the worst in our history...smh ....all those defenders wont win anything.....open una eyes...we had the worst defense in Afcon and only Tanzania let in more goals

It was the coach. No one can withstand that level of assault. Best form of defense is not usually parking the bus.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:I really got to like Awaziem in this tournament.

First time I saw him play, I knew he had the ball in him. I was amazed that some wanted him dropped pre-tournament. I am not sure about his central defense pairing with the current central defenders, but he certainly belongs there.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

An Awaziem/Omeruo pairing is definitely one to build on.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Tobi17 wrote:An Awaziem/Omeruo pairing is definitely one to build on.

We don't know that, West and Uche were great individually, but playing together apparently didn't bring the best out of both. I tell you I didn't like Balogun, because I felt he was "flat footed" (no speed), but I have become a fan after this Afcon. He is a steading force in the back. Troost I am no longer show about, Awziem should start ahead of him perhaps.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

ANC wrote:

We don't know that, West and Uche were great individually, but playing together apparently didn't bring the best out of both. I tell you I didn't like Balogun, because I felt he was "flat footed" (no speed), but I have become a fan after this Afcon. He is a steading force in the back. Troost I am no longer show about, Awziem should start ahead of him perhaps.
Ekong for me is behind Awaziem and Omeruo, but our top 3 currently in particular order are Omeruo, Awaziem, Ekong, and Balogun (still very solid and efficient, but age and form isn't on his good side)... so whomever will be coach, will definitely be searching for one or two quality defenders to add to depth. But we are generally ok in the defense, our most worrying position is definitely that midfield...with Mikel retired, we are left with only Ndidi who is world class enough to step to that leadership role, and Etebo. Hopefully the likes of Azubuike, Joe Aribo, Mikel Agu, Esiti etc will come good, the upcoming Olympics will sure be a foundation to utilize such opportunity.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

To be fair I wouldn't count the two goals conceded against Madagascar.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

Omeruo is too soft and mistake prone. And very slow

Goldenera94
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ANC wrote:
Damunk wrote:I really got to like Awaziem in this tournament.

First time I saw him play, I knew he had the ball in him. I was amazed that some wanted him dropped pre-tournament. I am not sure about his central defense pairing with the current central defenders, but he certainly belongs there.
ANC

Good point. I always thought he was better than any of our Cs going back to his first few games for Nigeria. Unfortunately, he was pilloried here on CE as responsible for the goals SE gave up against South Africa. He isn't free of mistakes but his attribute is his technical ability which is better than what Omeruo, Balogun, or Ekong have. He harkens back to the old era when Nigerian cornerbacks were technical guys. We have missed those types since I believe the period of Uche and West. Many may argue that West was not technical but he certainly developed into that type of player.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I don't see Rohr making the adjustment. He's still trying to get Ighalo to change his mind. I can't believe I'm saying this but Rohr could be the biggest impediment to the SE's progress.
I am happy
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote:I don't see Rohr making the adjustment. He's still trying to get Ighalo to change his mind. I can't believe I'm saying this but Rohr could be the biggest impediment to the SE's progress.
Believe it.

We have a small group of young players with potential and it'll be to their and our detriment if they're reared by Rohr - a coach who simply doesn't know how to get the best out of them.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Dammy wrote:I don't see Rohr making the adjustment. He's still trying to get Ighalo to change his mind. I can't believe I'm saying this but Rohr could be the biggest impediment to the SE's progress.
Believe it.

We have a small group of young players with potential and it'll be to their and our detriment if they're reared by Rohr - a coach who simply doesn't know how to get the best out of them.
Rohr has reached his ceiling, the problem is who takes over without losing the progress made?
I am happy
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The guy is a baller