LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ALGERIA FREE KICK

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet
LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ALGERIA FREE KICK

Post by Ekorian »

I finally rewatched the game after days of mourning.
There were so many things wrong in that last minute that i didn't know where to begin.
Prior to the foul, a clearance attempt was made by our player ( not sure who) but the ball was kicked to an Algerian player. Was the foul necessary? Why was Onyekuru lying on the floor behind the wall? I've never seen such poor attempt at block incoming free kicks. And contrary to the report here on CE, Akpeyi was well positioned but he moved to his left behind the wall before moving back to the right in an attempt to stop the kick.
Such nuances should be noted by our mercenary coach. After watching the lackluster final yesterday, I still can't get over the agony of the defeat.
Last edited by Ekorian on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: LET'S TALK ABOUT THE ALGERIA FREE KICK

Post by maceo4 »

Lol I don’t know where that idea to lay down came from but see our boys yabbing Onyekuru here (minute 2:40)

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Onyekuru was on the floor to stop the ball if kicked low.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if the ball was kicked low and his laying down blocked it una for dey call am brilliant.
Anyway, Mahrez na pro who plays with pros wey big pass anything we have on SE, so he knows a thing or 2 how to beat unsuspecting minnows.
It's hurting, but I immediately accepted the defeat there than going extra 30 mins and/or pk, then lose.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Synopsis wrote:Onyekuru was on the floor to stop the ball if kicked low.
KPOM
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Almost felt like the team was playing for a script- a Nigerian player deemed it smart to foul an Algerian player in a dangerous position just in the death of time, and of course who steps up to take the free kick against a badly positioned wall... Mahrez of all people , sounds about convenient.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ekorian wrote:I finally rewatched the game after days of mourning.
There were so many things wrong in that last minute that i didn't know where to begin.
Prior to the foul, a clearance attempt was made by our player ( not sure who) but the ball was kicked to an Algerian player. Was the foul necessary? Why was Onyekuru lying on the floor behind the wall? I've never seen such poor attempt to block incoming free kicks. And contrary to the report here on CE, Akpeyi was well positioned but he moved to his left behind the wall before moving back to the right in an attempt to stop the kick.
Such nuances should be noted by our mercenary coach. After watching the lackluster final yesterday, I still can't get over the agony of the defeat.

Finally someone else saw it. A video taken from behind the goalposts clearly shows that Akpeyi was well positioned. People simply saw a still photo taken from a poor angle and concluded that Akpeyi was behind the wall.

Nevertheless, and in certain cases, staying behind the wall can also be good. We saw Mbolhi do this yesterday v Senegal and he made a crucial save when the ball went over the wall. It is the distance from where a kick is taken that determines optimal positioning for a kick and not an edict that states NEVER stand behind the wall. Thus, it is wrong to claim that a goalkeeper must ALWAYS stay away from a wall on every free kick! The wall is designed to do the following -- (1) create difficulty for the kicker, no more. The goalie can stand behind it if there is enough distance that the chance of looping a ball over it and into goal but then stand away from it if it a short distance making a looping kick highly unlikely to be successful. So context matters.

Now, why did Akpeyi not make the save in spite of the fact that he was well positioned for it? My thinking is as follows: (1) The split second move to the left was adverse. It meant he could not return to his right on time to save the kick, or (2) I wonder if he had stayed the course whether the kick was even possible to save except if it came directly to him. I state this because a human body's reaction to a powerfully hit ball is never going to be quick enough to reach for a ball outside of the body if the ball is traveling at great speed. This is actually what you see with Ronaldo and Messi's kicks that whizz past a goalie that is just about two feet out. The goalie's reaction can never be quick enough for such balls. What happens is often a late reaction as you also see during penalty kicks taken from just 12 yards out.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

if anyone of you has yet to get over the loss then you might have underlying issues besides the football loss
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tobi17 wrote:Almost felt like the team was playing for a script- a Nigerian player deemed it smart to foul an Algerian player in a dangerous position just in the death of time, and of course who steps up to take the free kick against a badly positioned wall... Mahrez of all people , sounds about convenient.
:clap: I totally feel the same way how on earth would a seasoned footballer give away a foul in such a place with a minute to go?
Even though Onyekuru thought it was wise to lie on the floor the wall needed an extra body or two as it was most likely Mahrez was going to strike the ball with the inside of his left boot and try to curl it around the wall as the keeper was blind behind the wall and it was visually a great option.I don’t think this was deliberate but it was so amateur it became clear why we struggled to make a difference in that game just like Argentina last summer!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Enugu II wrote:
Prior to the foul, a clearance attempt was made by our player ( not sure who) but the ball was kicked to an Algerian player. Was the foul necessary? Why was Onyekuru lying on the floor behind the wall? I've never seen such poor attempt to block incoming free kicks. And contrary to the report here on CE, Akpeyi was well positioned but he moved to his left behind the wall before moving back to the right in an attempt to stop the kick.

Finally someone else saw it. A video taken from behind the goalposts clearly shows that Akpeyi was well positioned. People simply saw a still photo taken from a poor angle and concluded that Akpeyi was behind the wall.

Nevertheless, and in certain cases, staying behind the wall can also be good. We saw Mbolhi do this yesterday v Senegal and he made a crucial save when the ball went over the wall. It is the distance from where a kick is taken that determines optimal positioning for a kick and not an edict that states NEVER stand behind the wall. Thus, it is wrong to claim that a goalkeeper must ALWAYS stay away from a wall on every free kick! The wall is designed to do the following -- (1) create difficulty for the kicker, no more. The goalie can stand behind it if there is enough distance that the chance of looping a ball over it and into goal but then stand away from it if it a short distance making a looping kick highly unlikely to be successful. So context matters.

Now, why did Akpeyi not make the save in spite of the fact that he was well positioned for it? My thinking is as follows: (1) The split second move to the left was adverse. It meant he could not return to his right on time to save the kick, or (2) I wonder if he had stayed the course whether the kick was even possible to save except if it came directly to him. I state this because a human body's reaction to a powerfully hit ball is never going to be quick enough to reach for a ball outside of the body if the ball is traveling at great speed. This is actually what you see with Ronaldo and Messi's kicks that whizz past a goalie that is just about two feet out. The goalie's reaction can never be quick enough for such balls. What happens is often a late reaction as you also see during penalty kicks taken from just 12 yards out.
EII, I am disappoint with your comparison of Senegal's free kick with Algeria's. Please look at the positions. Look at the walls. The Senegalese player didnt have a direct shot on goal based on the angle. The GK didnt have an open gaping hole that the wall didnt cover.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Almost felt like the team was playing for a script- a Nigerian player deemed it smart to foul an Algerian player in a dangerous position just in the death of time, and of course who steps up to take the free kick against a badly positioned wall... Mahrez of all people , sounds about convenient.
:clap: I totally feel the same way how on earth would a seasoned footballer give away a foul in such a place with a minute to go?
Even though Onyekuru thought it was wise to lie on the floor the wall needed an extra body or two as it was most likely Mahrez was going to strike the ball with the inside of his left boot and try to curl it around the wall as the keeper was blind behind the wall and it was visually a great option.I don’t think this was deliberate but it was so amateur it became clear why we struggled to make a difference in that game just like Argentina last summer!
Thick and lazy. Strange things happen when people turn up to represent regressive Nations. Give Ndidi the same situation at the King Power stadium, the outcome? Likely a stark contrast...
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

EII, I am disappoint with your comparison of Senegal's free kick with Algeria's. Please look at the positions. Look at the walls. The Senegalese player didnt have a direct shot on goal based on the angle. The GK didn't have an open gaping hole that the wall didnt cover.

The comparison is clearly to identify the difference between the two and why it was correct for Mbolhi to stand behind the wall because of the distance. In Akpeyi's case, it was correct to stand away from the wall just as Akpeyi ACTUALLY did (although many are using a still photo taken from a poor angle to claim inaccurately that he was directly behind the wall). That is the comparison to point out that goalkeepers can be behind the wall (e.g. Mbolhi) based on the context of the kick. I hope that is clear. You probably misread the above.
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Enugu II wrote:

Forget all these sugar coating. Akpeyi took a step to his left anticipating that Mahrez wld go over the wall, wrong gamble. As a keeper, you need to protect your side first and let Mahrez do the hard job of lifting the ball over the wall, especially the close proximity to the post makes the lifting of the ball harder cos the ball has to be high enough to go over the wall and dip at the right moment. Akpeyi failed to cover his side, hence the fault is on him. He made same mistake against Argentina.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Enugu II wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

EII, I am disappoint with your comparison of Senegal's free kick with Algeria's. Please look at the positions. Look at the walls. The Senegalese player didnt have a direct shot on goal based on the angle. The GK didn't have an open gaping hole that the wall didnt cover.

The comparison is clearly to identify the difference between the two and why it was correct for Mbolhi to stand behind the wall because of the distance. In Akpeyi's case, it was correct to stand away from the wall just as Akpeyi ACTUALLY did (although many are using a still photo taken from a poor angle to claim inaccurately that he was directly behind the wall). That is the comparison to point out that goalkeepers can be behind the wall (e.g. Mbolhi) based on the context of the kick. I hope that is clear. You probably misread the above.
my apologies
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Two basic rules.
1. Position yourself in a way that you can see the ball
2. Do not move until the player kicks the ball.
Akpeyi did exactly the opposite!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Coach wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Thick and lazy. Strange things happen when people turn up to represent regressive Nations. Give Ndidi the same situation at the King Power stadium, the outcome? Likely a stark contrast...
:agree: If those that claim to be in charge do things half hearted the likelihood of those on the field being the same is high!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Nigerians always find it difficult to give credit where credit is due. There's no need blaming akpeyi, coach etc for that goal just accept that it was a World class goal that even the best of the world wouldn't save.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

john12 wrote:Nigerians always find it difficult to give credit where credit is due. There's no need blaming akpeyi, coach etc for that goal just accept that it was a World class goal that even the best of the world wouldn't save.
That wasn't a world class goal. More like a penalty kick from outside the box. The wall was thin, Mahrez couldn't believe the Manna in front of him. We wouldn't be complaining if we did everything right and the ball still went in. Please rewatch the match. My U10 and U 13 teams wouldn't have made such blunder. We can sweep the error under the grass and applaud the so called " world class" free kick or discern what happened so such wouldn't occur again....
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ekorian wrote:
john12 wrote:Nigerians always find it difficult to give credit where credit is due. There's no need blaming akpeyi, coach etc for that goal just accept that it was a World class goal that even the best of the world wouldn't save.
That wasn't a world class goal. More like a penalty kick from outside the box. The wall was thin, Mahrez couldn't believe the Manna in front of him. We wouldn't be complaining if we did everything right and the ball still went in. Please rewatch the match. My U10 and U 13 teams wouldn't have made such blunder. We can sweep the error under the grass and applaud the so called " world class" free kick or discern what happened so such wouldn't occur again....
Exactly, there’s a reason why Mahrez doesn’t score free kicks left right and centre in the Premier League and European Champions League and that’s exactly why he isn’t one of Manchester City’s main designated free kick takers.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Folks will keep making excuses for this AVERAGE GK until he retires... :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Not caping for the useless Akpeyi but keepers do get beaten on the side they are protecting, happened in the game yesterday.

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

The goal was voted as the goal of the tournament hatf seeing buffon saving
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

I personally would never blame the keeper that’s what children do, the wall was basically saying “look there’s a gap to curl the ball at” and Onyekuru could’ve at least added to the length of the wall instead of thinking Mahrez was going to try to pass the ball into the bass of the wall,Algeria where going to be ultra aggressive considering they where not too interested in playing another game of extra time!