This is why we didn't win the cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This is why we didn't win the cup

Post by Orion »

mapet wrote:
jette1 wrote:and why didn't Egypt / morocco/Cameroon/Senegal win then; very baseless stupid stance
I agree with you. Ghana had 5 players on that list and I wonder when Ghana last won anything
This thread is focused solely on OUR players. I'm using that image to highlight something people are choosing to ignore. We have average players, so obscure in fact, that none is featured on a list of "popular" African players compiled by Google for the 2019 AFCON, apart from one that's now retired.

We have not won the AFOY or even had a serious contender for the title for God knows how long. In fact, the last serious contender we had was Okocha in 2004. Enyeama was never really a serious challenger for Yaya. Mahrez won it in 2016, yes, a player from the same team that dumped us out at the semis.

Yet people are acting all entitled when we won the bronze and demanding that the coach be fired because he didn't win the cup.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Tobi17 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Orion wrote:We got bronze with what we currently have. Add two or three top-class players and the odds of winning the cup goes up.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: so you honestly believe we lost to Mada#@$%ingascar and Algeria because of the pedigree of our players?

Where do they get you pipul from, Ghana?
Come on now. You know for the Madagascar game we already qualified and the players didn't seem like they were really into that game. It may even be related to the brief protest over money, who knows. But if you want to go down that route, Tunisia beat them 3-0 and we beat Tunisia. :wink:

Algeria was a better team than Nigeria. No arguments there and they had some top-class players better than anything we had to offer.
And their top class player made the ultimate difference. Something we really don't have now since the likes of Vic Mo and Emenike have retired, a true game winner that can carry the team even when we are struggling...
Their top-class player who is a Carpenter at City?

The loss has nothing to do with the pedigree fo the players. It didn't against Argentina neither did it matter against Algeria. Maceo, you do follow American Football... what is it that they say about "Prevent Defense"?

Same applies in football.
Bros, see how easy it is to sh1t on their top player who does play for the current EPL champions, esp given that we do NOT have a single player of that pedigree (NOT EVEN CLOSE). Last season he played 44 times for City scoring 12 goals and 12 assists (https://www.transfermarkt.com/riyad-mah ... ler/171424). So why try to diminish his pedigree simply to score some points in the argument against Rohr.

We get it, Rohr is not great, but that doesn't mean we would have necessarily won with a different coach as Algeria was the best team in the tournament hands down. The likes of Geudiora and Benecer dominated our so called 'best DM in the EPL thats so splendidly good that nobody wants to buy', so much so that this guy gave up the penultimate FK that sealed our fate.

We need to wake up, our players are NOT that good, yes with a better coach we could build on what we do have which is above average crop of players. However, we do not have a game changer in our team, so in close games we don't have someone like a JJ to turn to and decide it for us. We don't have a single WC player on our team, its not a shock that the two teams that played the final do...

In 2013 we had a WC keeper in our captain Enyeama, and the likes of Vic Mo, Emenike (that you hate so much), that could help decide a game for us and Mikel at the height of his game to steady us in the middle. We exuded class in every part of the field with Enyeama steadying the defense, Mikel holding together the midfield, and Vic Mo, Emenike, Ideye controlling the attack, then add the wild card of an Mba that knew how to play the African game and was unafraid to impose himself when necessary (unlike Iwobi's scurred arse).

This current team has no one willing to step up. Abi na fumbling Musa? Static Ighalo? Indecisive Iwobi and Etebo? Foul machines Etebo and Ndidi? Slow as nails Omeuro and Ekong? Vacationing Akpeyi? Look at the type of fumbling that the so called leaders of our team (3rd captain) like Omeruo can be making in a Semi Final game gifting the Algerian striker a one on one with our GK out of absolutely nothing (talk less of Ekong scoring an own goal). If that was Mahrez the game would have been decided since, we wouldn't even be focusing on one specific FK deciding the game. You can't blame Rohr for such bone-headedness.

That said I do believe he should go and we get a coach that better suits our style of play, but I'm also under no illusions on the type of players that we currently have or try to diminish our opponents to make myself feel better. Fact is we need just a little bit more class to scale to the next rung...
:clap: :clap: :clap: KPOM, I want Rohr out as much as the next man, but we have to tell ourselves the gaddamn truth? Rohr is only a fraction of the whole, the man could be gone in the next minute and we then we all celebrate, while the bigger problem nags us silently... then a new coach comes in, wins a couple of games, gets all our hopes high... until a bad turn dampens all hopes again... then we start crying for the next world class coach to save our aSSes.

The cycle continues.

I AGREE THAT NIGERIA HAS A TALENT PROBLEM, BUT...

…instead of fixing that problem, Nigeria seems to be spending money needlessly on a foreign coach who can't solve that problem.
Bell
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Orion wrote:We got bronze with what we currently have. Add two or three top-class players and the odds of winning the cup goes up.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: so you honestly believe we lost to Mada#@$%ingascar and Algeria because of the pedigree of our players?

Come on now. You know for the Madagascar game we already qualified and the players didn't seem like they were really into that game. It may even be related to the brief protest over money, who knows. But if you want to go down that route, Tunisia beat them 3-0 and we beat Tunisia. :wink:

Algeria was a better team than Nigeria. No arguments there and they had some top-class players better than anything we had to offer.
And their top class player made the ultimate difference. Something we really don't have now since the likes of Vic Mo and Emenike have retired, a true game winner that can carry the team even when we are struggling...

The loss has nothing to do with the pedigree fo the players. It didn't against Argentina neither did it matter against Algeria. Maceo, you do follow American Football... what is it that they say about "Prevent Defense"?

Bros, see how easy it is to sh1t on their top player who does play for the current EPL champions, esp given that we do NOT have a single player of that pedigree (NOT EVEN CLOSE). Last season he played 44 times for City scoring 12 goals and 12 assists (https://www.transfermarkt.com/riyad-mah ... ler/171424). So why try to diminish his pedigree simply to score some points in the argument against Rohr.

We get it, Rohr is not great, but that doesn't mean we would have necessarily won with a different coach as Algeria was the best team in the tournament hands down. The likes of Geudiora and Benecer dominated our so called 'best DM in the EPL thats so splendidly good that nobody wants to buy', so much so that this guy gave up the penultimate FK that sealed our fate.

We need to wake up, our players are NOT that good, yes with a better coach we could build on what we do have which is above average crop of players. However, we do not have a game changer in our team, so in close games we don't have someone like a JJ to turn to and decide it for us. We don't have a single WC player on our team, its not a shock that the two teams that played the final do...

In 2013 we had a WC keeper in our captain Enyeama, and the likes of Vic Mo, Emenike (that you hate so much), that could help decide a game for us and Mikel at the height of his game to steady us in the middle. We exuded class in every part of the field with Enyeama steadying the defense, Mikel holding together the midfield, and Vic Mo, Emenike, Ideye controlling the attack, then add the wild card of an Mba that knew how to play the African game and was unafraid to impose himself when necessary (unlike Iwobi's scurred arse).

This current team has no one willing to step up. Abi na fumbling Musa? Static Ighalo? Indecisive Iwobi and Etebo? Foul machines Etebo and Ndidi? Slow as nails Omeuro and Ekong? Vacationing Akpeyi? Look at the type of fumbling that the so called leaders of our team (3rd captain) like Omeruo can be making in a Semi Final game gifting the Algerian striker a one on one with our GK out of absolutely nothing (talk less of Ekong scoring an own goal). If that was Mahrez the game would have been decided since, we wouldn't even be focusing on one specific FK deciding the game. You can't blame Rohr for such bone-headedness.

That said I do believe he should go and we get a coach that better suits our style of play, but I'm also under no illusions on the type of players that we currently have or try to diminish our opponents to make myself feel better. Fact is we need just a little bit more class to scale to the next rung...
Can you claim with a straight face that the 2013 squad was as solid as 2019 on paper?

This team should be fighting for trophies not dancing npokiti for fake gold abeg. :mad:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

cchinukw wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Orion wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Can you claim with a straight face that the 2013 squad was as solid as 2019 on paper?

This team should be fighting for trophies not dancing npokiti for fake gold abeg. :mad:
Tournaments aren't won on paper though, Senegal on paper probably had the better squad but lost. And if we are being honest we had better talent in critical areas of the field in 2013. As they say, its not just about quantity, its about quality. We have a bunch of similarly average players in 2019 without any of them showing that quality or leadership to be able to affect a game.

From GK - I'm even surprised we got as far as we did using an Akpereyi (I can't think of any previous team that won with such a poor GK), compare that to Enyeama - its not even close

Defense - Our defenders may not have been better defensively, but were 100x more comfortable with the ball and better playing out of the back as our strategy was to have more of the ball and build and attack (even our LB got forward to score a diving header). Because of this they ended up putting a much better defensive display than in 2019. - Here's where I miss Keshi and his offensive strategy which we need to get Rohr to follow or move on to a coach that will fit our style

Midfield - none of our current midfielders is as good as Mikel was in 2013 NONE - his combo with Onazi was much better than Etebo/Ndidi both in breaking up play cleanly and offensively countering and passing - forget all the hype.

Forwards - forget paper, Emenike/Ideye/Moses were way more dynamic and deadly than anything we currently have. Emenike was top scorer without scoring tap ins and PK's. Even Musa quickly vacated to the bench for them as he was his usual brainless self. None of the 2019 forwards was anywhere as deadly as these guys, regardless of paper. Musa was brainless, Ighalo was static, Samu is a raw gem with only 1 season of footie under his belt unlike a Moses who had made it through to Chelsea after being seasoned at different rungs of the English league.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote:Their top-class player who is a Carpenter at City?
Madagascar's top player is a carpenter... in Antananarivo. And we lost to them.

The sooner Rohr goes, the better. I can't abide by settling with mediocrity.

Wake me up when he's gone.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.