30th Anniversary of Sam Okwaraji's death

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
30th Anniversary of Sam Okwaraji's death

Post by theYemster »

I still remember watching live on TV.

May his soul continue to test in peace.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 30th Anniversary of Sam Okwaraji's death

Post by aruako1 »

May he continue to rest in peace.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

theYemster wrote:I still remember watching live on TV.

Woow how time flies. It seems just like yesterday. I was at the stadium life that day thanks to IBB's one-year ban on 6 unis.
May he soul continue to rest in perfect peace.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Amin!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

One of the doctors who attended to him on the pitch was on Brila Fm today, talking about the incident. Very sad and touching.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Lolly wrote:
What a lovely tribute, however how does the NFF managed to have such $#% video production?
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

Sam Okwaraji is a skiller
He passed the ball to Osondu
Osondu passed to Ohenhen
Ohenhen shoots inside the net
Chris Ohenhen fired the free kick inside the net!!!

Sam Okwaraji - A certified baller and lawyer - RIP!!!!
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

100%Naija wrote:Sam Okwaraji is a skiller
Osondu passed to Ohenhen

Lol
Okwaraji and Osondu play together?
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

megapro wrote:
Osondu passed to Ohenhen

Lol

I was about to ask, but I no too dey familiar with that epoch.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

azuka wrote:

Woow how time flies. It seems just like yesterday. I was at the stadium life that day thanks to IBB's one-year ban on 6 unis.
One year ban?

Sam Okwaraji
Super Eagles
1988-1989

Okwaraji's presence on the scene was just too sudden and too short
Gifted fellow, in the brief 18 months he presented himself he gave his best and showed his class

His playing for Nigeria is more like a case of happenstance
Nigeria had great performers in the middle, with stiff competition from the actors of early eighties Henry Nwosu, Sylvanus Okpala and Ademola Adeshina contending with the new, younger foreign based pros Osaro Obobaifo, Austin Igbinabaro, not to mention guys like Dahiru Sadi, Thompson Oliha, Ayo Ogulana and Friday Ekpo and the Kpakpor brothers

Competition was actually fierce for few spaces and Sam Okwaraji though not completely unknown but was not in the picture, and within few months he had attended the African Nations cup and the Olympics!

Just how did it happen?

Nigeria was hosting Algeria in a crucial last qualifying game for the 1988 Olympics after losing 0:1 to Algeria just inside the new year in Annaba

For the return game the Eagles were taken to Enugu where they camped and trained at the stadium

Few days to the game the team vere playing Probables vs Possibles (starters) but were only 21 and needed someone to make the training look complete

They spotted a well kitted guy with beautiful canvas jogging around in the stadium. He looked sound and fitted the bill so they approached him

Okwaraji was on a winter break holiday from SSV Ulm (on loan from VFB Stuttgart) and jogged at the Enugu stadium everyday to keep fit

He entered the pitch and change the team and his life that very day. With a commanding, virtuoso performance he won his automatic spot that moment and remained a regular until his last minute where he died wearing the green and white colours for Nigeria

At the 1988 Nations cup he scored the hitherto fastest goal, and got his rasta dreadlocks in the style of CIV's Zahoui François during the friendly matches just before the 1988 Seoul Olympics

He was a sure starter for the penultimate WC group qualifier against Angola which had become dicey after the loss in Gabon

For such crucial games, Nigeria looked on to foreign based players like him, but the atmosphere was already heated because of the passion to serve and the competition for spaces

The simultaneously held qualifiers for the Nations cup had been executed by many homebased players who wrapped up the qualifying spot before this game

Brilliant home based Friday Ekpo was quoted before the march as saying 'over his dead body for any foreign based player to come and pick his shirt'

The match was tense. The weather was hot. At half time in the dressing room Okwaraji poured a lot of cold water on his head and dreadlocks. He returned to the pitch to give his best...and his rest!

Eboigbe was the first to rush to him when he noticed he remained in a motionless position after falling

8 years later August 1997, playing for Reutlingen near Ulm, Emmanuel Nwanegbo slumped after taking a free kick very early in the March. He also did not make it

Okwaraji served his country to the last, and deserves to be the icon he is

Megapro
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I read somewhere that the ambulance at the stadium struggled to start. And there were other failures with equipment at the hospital.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

cic old boy wrote:I read somewhere that the ambulance at the stadium struggled to start. And there were other failures with equipment at the hospital.
where is your source? Are you aware some fans also died in the stadium due to overcrowding?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Thirty years ago, today, I was at the National Stadium in Surulere to watch Nigeria VS Angola in anItalia 90 World Cup qualifier. Samuel Okwaraji collapsed just in the section of the crowd I was sitting. The event happened off the ball. We screamed and shouted seeing Sam go down. Immediately we knew this was serious. The medics came on the pitch, but the sad part was that the ambulance stationed inside the stadium could not start. Yes, the ambulance could not move – precious minutes lost, and Sam died in that stadium.
https://www.aclsports.com/remembering-s ... -years-on/
http://www.naijiant.com/
Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

cic old boy wrote:
Thirty years ago, today, I was at the National Stadium in Surulere to watch Nigeria VS Angola in anItalia 90 World Cup qualifier. Samuel Okwaraji collapsed just in the section of the crowd I was sitting. The event happened off the ball. We screamed and shouted seeing Sam go down. Immediately we knew this was serious. The medics came on the pitch, but the sad part was that the ambulance stationed inside the stadium could not start. Yes, the ambulance could not move – precious minutes lost, and Sam died in that stadium.
This is not the account of one of the doctors who attended to him on the day who spoke on Brilla FM a few days ago. Okwaraji was actually given oxygen on the pitch before he was moved into the ambulance.

He even said an Angolan player "collapsed" at almost exactly the same time as Okwaraji and the referee initially allowed the Angolan medics on the pitch thinking he was in a more serious condition than Okwaraji until one of our players started screaming and calling them on.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
megapro wrote:
Osondu passed to Ohenhen

Lol

For where?
Daddy Osondu no pass 'U17' level nah.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
This is not the account of one of the doctors who attended to him on the day who spoke on Brilla FM a few days ago. Okwaraji was actually given oxygen on the pitch before he was moved into the ambulance.

He even said an Angolan player "collapsed" at almost exactly the same time as Okwaraji and the referee initially allowed the Angolan medics on the pitch thinking he was in a more serious condition than Okwaraji until one of our players started screaming and calling them on.
Wasnt that Siasia, or am I mixing things up?
No, it couldn't have been SSS.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Siasia it was
megapro 2012:
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

megapro wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Lolly wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Siasia it was
I think the late Uche Okafor also said he was the closest to Sam when he fell, and Sam asked him to call a doctor
AFCON 2019 sweet o

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Damunk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
megapro wrote:
Osondu passed to Ohenhen

Lol

For where?
Osondu was in Green Eagles camp in 1981. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

folem wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
megapro wrote:
Osondu passed to Ohenhen

Lol

For where?
Yep, Phillip "Za n' za" Osondu was there in the early 1980s. However, that was when Onigbinde invited well over 100 footballers as he (Onigbinde) started to rebuild the team.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

megapro wrote:
azuka wrote:

One year ban?

Sam Okwaraji
Super Eagles
1988-1989

Okwaraji's presence on the scene was just too sudden and too short
Gifted fellow, in the brief 18 months he presented himself he gave his best and showed his class

His playing for Nigeria is more like a case of happenstance
Nigeria had great performers in the middle, with stiff competition from the actors of early eighties Henry Nwosu, Sylvanus Okpala and Ademola Adeshina contending with the new, younger foreign based pros Osaro Obobaifo, Austin Igbinabaro, not to mention guys like Dahiru Sadi, Thompson Oliha, Ayo Ogulana and Friday Ekpo and the Kpakpor brothers

Competition was actually fierce for few spaces and Sam Okwaraji though not completely unknown but was not in the picture, and within few months he had attended the African Nations cup and the Olympics!

Just how did it happen?

Nigeria was hosting Algeria in a crucial last qualifying game for the 1988 Olympics after losing 0:1 to Algeria just inside the new year in Annaba

For the return game the Eagles were taken to Enugu where they camped and trained at the stadium

Few days to the game the team vere playing Probables vs Possibles (starters) but were only 21 and needed someone to make the training look complete

They spotted a well kitted guy with beautiful canvas jogging around in the stadium. He looked sound and fitted the bill so they approached him

Okwaraji was on a winter break holiday from SSV Ulm (on loan from VFB Stuttgart) and jogged at the Enugu stadium everyday to keep fit

He entered the pitch and change the team and his life that very day. With a commanding, virtuoso performance he won his automatic spot that moment and remained a regular until his last minute where he died wearing the green and white colours for Nigeria

At the 1988 Nations cup he scored the hitherto fastest goal, and got his rasta dreadlocks in the style of CIV's Zahoui François during the friendly matches just before the 1988 Seoul Olympics

He was a sure starter for the penultimate WC group qualifier against Angola which had become dicey after the loss in Gabon

For such crucial games, Nigeria looked on to foreign based players like him, but the atmosphere was already heated because of the passion to serve and the competition for spaces

The simultaneously held qualifiers for the Nations cup had been executed by many homebased players who wrapped up the qualifying spot before this game

Brilliant home based Friday Ekpo was quoted before the march as saying 'over his dead body for any foreign based player to come and pick his shirt'

The match was tense. The weather was hot. At half time in the dressing room Okwaraji poured a lot of cold water on his head and dreadlocks. He returned to the pitch to give his best...and his rest!

Eboigbe was the first to rush to him when he noticed he remained in a motionless position after falling

8 years later August 1997, playing for Reutlingen near Ulm, Emmanuel Nwanegbo slumped after taking a free kick very early in the March. He also did not make it

Okwaraji served his country to the last, and deserves to be the icon he is

Megapro
Yes one year ban. The highly successful anti-SAP riot happened. And as a result IBB closed all universities but later recalled the universities bar the following 6: UI, Unilag, Uniben, ABU, OAU and UNN. IBB announced a 1-year closure on these 6 universities which he later reduced to 6 months.
It was at the start of the 1-year ban/closure of 6 universitied that the match took place.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:
folem wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
megapro wrote:
Osondu passed to Ohenhen

Lol

For where?
Yep, Phillip "Za n' za" Osondu was there in the early 1980s. However, that was when Onigbinde invited well over 100 footballers as he (Onigbinde) started to rebuild the team.
I bumped into Segun Fetuga (and Taribo) on Monday and while we were chatting I thought of asking about Osondu but change my mind. :D
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯