Colin Udoh's Take on Rohr Debate

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Colin Udoh's Take on Rohr Debate

Post by fabio »

txj wrote:
fabio wrote:
deanotito wrote:Just don't think firing Rohr is wise. He is a good coach.

I get frustrated with him just like any other, but he has hit all his targets in a pretty efficient manner. I don’t believe he’s the best coach in the world, but he’s good for Nigeria. And Nigeria can neither attract or afford the best. To me, Rohr’s the best type of coach we can get.

Hounding him out would put us in no-mans-land…and the likes of Odegbami will start to push their candidates, so they can make a quick buck.
Rohr’s record is unimpeachable as far as I am concerned. How many Nations Cups did Westerhof win? Bonfrere nko? How many years were they in their jobs? Let’s be realistic.

I do agree that the level of talent we have is not great…and Rohr has been able to do much with this little. Nigeria’s football was floundering under our ex-internationals…for whatever reason, it just was. Then comes this man who brings some stability and professionalism …and results too.
How many years was Keshi in the Job, when he won AfCON and got to the WC second round?

You have to offer a more intelligent argument than simply regurgitating Keshi's name...
If providing empirical evidence to dispute a claim is not an intelligent argument, i would like to read what an unintelligent argument reads like.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Goldleaf wrote:I am sure most seasoned analysts will agree that with the quality of that squad, we should have won AFCON 2019. If it took Algeria a last minute winner to beat us, that tells you how close we were. The main problem was in formation and tactics. That squad had enough talent to win. They simply were too defensive in their strategy. You could even argue that the 2019 squad was stronger and had more depth than the 2013 AFCON-winning squad, with Vincent Enyeama as exception.
Really? Where is this seasoning you people are sprinkling? Even by my eye test, our team was technically deficient, talk less of when we just look at the data.

In soccer, there is elite, and then there is the middle class. The middle class is wide…but the difference in quality is not. Our team was middle class in most places. So was Burundi’s.

You people always go back to 2013 and forget that was not the only Nations Cup we played in. We’ve had much better teams that didn’t win …under several coaches. And even that AFCON 2013 didn’t exactly light up the place…
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

deanotito wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:I am sure most seasoned analysts will agree that with the quality of that squad, we should have won AFCON 2019. If it took Algeria a last minute winner to beat us, that tells you how close we were. The main problem was in formation and tactics. That squad had enough talent to win. They simply were too defensive in their strategy. You could even argue that the 2019 squad was stronger and had more depth than the 2013 AFCON-winning squad, with Vincent Enyeama as exception.
Really? Where is this seasoning you people are sprinkling? Even by my eye test, our team was technically deficient, talk less of when we just look at the data.

In soccer, there is elite, and then there is the middle class. The middle class is wide…but the difference in quality is not. Our team was middle class in most places. So was Burundi’s.

You people always go back to 2013 and forget that was not the only Nations Cup we played in. We’ve had much better teams that didn’t win …under several coaches. And even that AFCON 2013 didn’t exactly light up the place
Because you said it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ............it's getting harder to take some folks here serious. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Tobi17 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:So in a nutshell Rohr will leave and he'll be replaced by someone who deep down knows that Nigeria has no stable footballing foundation and he'll just try his luck and see how long his run will last and then he'll leave or will be sacked and the cycle will continue.
makes no difference...football is a revolving door
And you can keep revolving until the hinges fall off without evolving if you don’t fix the foundations,the problem wasn’t imported with Rohr it was in Nigeria years before I even heard of him!
You should ask yourself why Keshi failed to build on the momentum of his success... Maybe that's one of the problems other coaches after him have to deal with... like I said, I want Rohr gone just because he's just not a good enough coach... But I'm more cautious enough not to expect the next available coach to come in and do wonders either.
Nigerians where planning to sack him on the eve of the Quarter Final with CIV, maybe he was disheartened I for one will never understand why he didn’t quit straight after receiving the cup!
The coach after Rohr will turn up with the mess that has been there even before Rohr was there are he’ll be expected to know what’s going on until he also gets sacked!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

when Rohr leaves, will jam this all day long

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Yes it is a major concern. The same people that hired Rohr would be in charge of hiring the next coach.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

At the end we've got at some point admit that Keshi's(may he RIP) failure to build on the momentum of his success of 2013 - notably ruining the chemistry of a very promising team with dodgy call up's etc, culminated in part as a remote cause to the current problems we are facing now...the fact that the likes of Siasia and Oliseh failed, was as a result of a weak foundation left behind for them to build on.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tobi17 wrote:At the end we've got at some point admit that Keshi's(may he RIP) failure to build on the momentum of his success of 2013 - notably ruining the chemistry of a very promising team with dodgy call up's etc, culminated in part as a remote cause to the current problems we are facing now...the fact that the likes of Siasia and Oliseh failed, was as a result of a weak foundation left behind for them to build on.
name these so called dodgy call ups? You've been making a lot of stuff up lately.....
SuperEagles

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:At the end we've got at some point admit that Keshi's(may he RIP) failure to build on the momentum of his success of 2013 - notably ruining the chemistry of a very promising team with dodgy call up's etc, culminated in part as a remote cause to the current problems we are facing now...the fact that the likes of Siasia and Oliseh failed, was as a result of a weak foundation left behind for them to build on.
name these so called dodgy call ups? You've been making a lot of stuff up lately.....
Don't act you don't know them, you are not new on CE so we both know one of the major issues folks had with Keshi was the junk players he kept calling up, I mean we even took the likes of Gambo Mohammed to the Confed cup, Gabriel Reuben, Babatunde, Ejike Uzoenyi to the world cup among other crap players who ended up wasting our time.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Don't act you don't know them, you are not new on CE so we both know one of the major issues folks had with Keshi was the junk players he kept calling up, I mean we even took the likes of Gambo Mohammed to the Confed cup, Gabriel Reuben, Babatunde, Ejike Uzoenyi to the world cup among other crap players who ended up wasting our time. I will forever respect his legacy, but the truth hurts sometimes.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote:Yes it is a major concern. The same people that hired Rohr would be in charge of hiring the next coach.
:clap: And the circus continues, one below average coach gone will be replaced by another one,(this is no prophecy)!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Tobi17 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Don't act you don't know them, you are not new on CE so we both know one of the major issues folks had with Keshi was the junk players he kept calling up, I mean we even took the likes of Gambo Mohammed to the Confed cup, Gabriel Reuben, Babatunde, Ejike Uzoenyi to the world cup among other crap players who ended up wasting our time.
[/video]
enjoy Babatunde
SuperEagles

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Tobi17 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Don't act you don't know them, you are not new on CE so we both know one of the major issues folks had with Keshi was the junk players he kept calling up, I mean we even took the likes of Gambo Mohammed to the Confed cup, Gabriel Reuben, Babatunde, Ejike Uzoenyi to the world cup among other crap players who ended up wasting our time. I will forever respect his legacy, but the truth hurts sometimes.
TRUTH is that Keshi on a lower pay, with saboteurs everywhere won the AFCON and qualified for the WC 2nd round. Something ROHR can only DREAM about!

For KOC to say that Keshi met a ready made team??? Haba !!!!

How you can support Rohr and complain about Keshi beats me.

Reminded me of those supporting Berti 'stash' :tic:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

fabio wrote:
txj wrote:
fabio wrote:
deanotito wrote:Just don't think firing Rohr is wise. He is a good coach.

I get frustrated with him just like any other, but he has hit all his targets in a pretty efficient manner. I don’t believe he’s the best coach in the world, but he’s good for Nigeria. And Nigeria can neither attract or afford the best. To me, Rohr’s the best type of coach we can get.

Hounding him out would put us in no-mans-land…and the likes of Odegbami will start to push their candidates, so they can make a quick buck.
Rohr’s record is unimpeachable as far as I am concerned. How many Nations Cups did Westerhof win? Bonfrere nko? How many years were they in their jobs? Let’s be realistic.

I do agree that the level of talent we have is not great…and Rohr has been able to do much with this little. Nigeria’s football was floundering under our ex-internationals…for whatever reason, it just was. Then comes this man who brings some stability and professionalism …and results too.
How many years was Keshi in the Job, when he won AfCON and got to the WC second round?

You have to offer a more intelligent argument than simply regurgitating Keshi's name...
If providing empirical evidence to dispute a claim is not an intelligent argument, i would like to read what an unintelligent argument reads like.
lately this fabio done dey get correct sense , just maybe you be correct bobo afterall :D 8-)
SuperEagles

kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Colin is right. The system is broken. Maybe Rohr can be a better tactical coach but truth be told I have actually felt calmness and collegiality around the SE the last 3 years. Maybe just me but proud about something Nigerian that ran reasonably smoothly. Not because he is FC stuff but just maybe he has good management skills, something say Oliseh definitely sucks at. His players like him and he can make tough calls. We had this also through most of Keshi’s reign so possible someone local can do it but why change now. Keep him going for what his good at and get him some help in the technical part
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Goalgetter wrote:Colin’s perspective is biased.. the guy kisses up in order to protect/preserve what access he has to the coach and team. He lacks credibility on this issue. I would listen to the Akpobories and Odegbamis of this world..the Oluwashina guy from BBC also has some credibility- he’s been saying it like it is. Colin? Forget about him. Anyone that watches the match vs Algeria and look back at the WC match vs Argentina and still want Rhor to remain the coach is either compromises or just a lunatic.

Colins is not interested in the SE doing well, he is infected with the loser mentality Rohr is spreading. He wants Rohr to stay because it’s beneficial to him.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

@Tobi17, you joined in June 2017 and you are confidently talking about Keshi alleged dodgy call up's on CE. That sounds really dodgy.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Colin’s is a journalist....and is entitled to his opinion. Good or bad....he is not a prophet, just another guy with his opinion....

What is the issue with changing managers?

It is the NFF job to properly seek out great managers.......

Few years back, I was asked...who is this manager that is good.... I contacted Glen Hoodle and he was interested but after the meeting, the pay structure was criminal and he decided to back away and so did I

I do not know Pinnick but all intends show that he was to progress the federation, so he needs to go out and get a coach that will give him that....

I mentioned Seedorf and Kluivert....actually Kluivert is the person everyone is talking about yrs ago. I believe he is the real deal if given the support.
Others like Cocu - just joined Derby....ppl like that.

Get someone that will partner with Finidi or even Seyi Olofinjana.....

Siasia once said "Give me 2-3 years to put together a team that can play the way Nigerians want - offensive-minded, hard-working, using the wings properly and being tactically disciplined,"

That’s what Nigerians what, add that to team stability, lack of bribery and players picked on merit....

Then you have a really great SE.....

Am sure this is not too much to ask....
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Nigerians are so mentally unstable that will request for a Quality coach then complain about his “Expensive” salary. Remember this, whenever you hire a Coach, you’re paying for his “Worth” and not “Results” meaning a Quality coach can receive a salary of $1,000,000 and still fail to qualify is for World Cup. We must understand that coaches aren’t the problem but delusional fans. When you don’t have Superstars anyone just make sure your coach can maximize his available talents and accept his results
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Who cares about anyone’s salary?.....

Do u think that if we pay Rohr more, he will play more attractive football...? At least have 50% of the possession in a tournament match? Is that based on pay...?

It is harder to get a superstar is Nigeria don’t have one...we can’t pluck a Salah off the air tomorrow but we can get a coach that can negate the effects of not having a salah by building a unit that believes in itself and puts its best leg forward.....

A team with Ighalo 7goals in 9 games, Oshimen -20goals, Onyekuru - 15 goals, Chukwueze, Iwobi, Kalu and co and we depend on Omeruo and Ekong to get us thru games....

You are telling me about salary and quality
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Cellular wrote:He is a POOR coach that is being given all manner of excuses because he is an LC.

He has shown that he is not good at coaching in tournaments.

This is a simple case of ambition. If our ambition is to enter a tournament and stand a chance at winning it, ROHR is not the man for the job.

I am yet to see one player who has played well (as in great) under Rohr.

I can understand an Arsenal fan being a fan of Rohr but from a Liverpool fan? At least you saw improvement at Pool despite not winning... constant improvement. Can you say the same about Rohr's team? Where is the improvement?
Sure you meant to say “an FC”, but otherwise you are spot on...

Irregardless of FC or LC, the reality is that Rohr has turned out to be at best an extremely LIMITED coach (and I wouldn’t take issue with folks who label him a POOR coach), which is such a shame because he engendered such high hopes and expectations for a minute and finally it seemed that we had a federation up to the task of providing credible administrative support. His on-field LIMITATIONS have been repeatedly made so obvious that one can reasonably surmise that the principal (perhaps sole) reason that some fail to acknowledge such basic reality is his nationality.

I was not born in Nigeria and did not spend the early parts of my life in Nigeria, but once I finally made my way to Nigeria (or precisely arrived HOME), I was bequeathed with one everlasting legacy and philosophy of life - strive to be good, and when you become good fight to get better, and once better kill yourself to be the best! This has been at the foundational core of the success (personal and professional) of most of my generation of Nigerians (many of whom populated this forum). Sadly, we are now being collectively lectured to sacrifice (the quest for) excellence for stability.

DISRUPTION can be a very positive thing, and unless we simply want to SETTLE for the comfort zone of being able to qualify for tournaments but with no particular ambition to win, then perhaps it’s time to move on from this relationship. To head off the Strawman's Argument undoubted to follow, hiring a new coach (whomever it may be) does NOT guarantee that we will win the next AFCON or even do any better than we did at this past AFCON or at the WC (because the reality is that life offers no such guarantees, if any at all), but it will be a tangible signal that we won’t settle for Average.
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote: No Nigerian journalist can survive on CE because they're highly compromised. CE is made up mainly of Nigerian fans based abroad or have been based abroad, they call it as it is. They're not looking for any favours unlike our journalists. Yes, we do go overboard at times, but it's part of the terrain. All Nigerian journalists have run away from CE.
I don't know what you're trying to imply but being based abroad does not give Nigerians any special insights or intelligence.
If you haven't consistently read the rubbish posted by FB and HB Nigerians on this board in equal measure then you need to check your address bar when you log in.
If anything, HB Nigerians are more in tune with what's really going on.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Gotti wrote:
Cellular wrote:He is a POOR coach that is being given all manner of excuses because he is an LC.

He has shown that he is not good at coaching in tournaments.

This is a simple case of ambition. If our ambition is to enter a tournament and stand a chance at winning it, ROHR is not the man for the job.

I am yet to see one player who has played well (as in great) under Rohr.

I can understand an Arsenal fan being a fan of Rohr but from a Liverpool fan? At least you saw improvement at Pool despite not winning... constant improvement. Can you say the same about Rohr's team? Where is the improvement?
Sure you meant to say “an FC”, but otherwise you are spot on...

Irregardless of FC or LC, the reality is that Rohr has turned out to be at best an extremely LIMITED coach (and I wouldn’t take issue with folks who label him a POOR coach), which is such a shame because he engendered such high hopes and expectations for a minute and finally it seemed that we had a federation up to the task of providing credible administrative support. His on-field LIMITATIONS have been repeatedly made so obvious that one can reasonably surmise that the principal (perhaps sole) reason that some fail to acknowledge such basic reality is his nationality.

I was not born in Nigeria and did not spend the early parts of my life in Nigeria, but once I finally made my way to Nigeria (or precisely arrived HOME), I was bequeathed with one everlasting legacy and philosophy of life - strive to be good, and when you become good fight to get better, and once better kill yourself to be the best! This has been at the foundational core of the success (personal and professional) of most of my generation of Nigerians (many of whom populated this forum). Sadly, we are now being collectively lectured to sacrifice (the quest for) excellence for stability.

DISRUPTION can be a very positive thing, and unless we simply want to SETTLE for the comfort zone of being able to qualify for tournaments but with no particular ambition to win, then perhaps it’s time to move on from this relationship. To head off the Strawman's Argument undoubted to follow, hiring a new coach (whomever it may be) does NOT guarantee that we will win the next AFCON or even do any better than we did at this past AFCON or at the WC (because the reality is that life offers no such guarantees, if any at all), but it will be a tangible signal that we won’t settle for Average.
>
Well said! The way Rhor was celebrating after that 3rd place match was just unbelievable. It was as if we’ve never won the AFCON before. If all prior coaches had his mentality we’d have zero titles. The guy has to go!
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?