OLISEH: Eagles Should Not Celebrate Third Place.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
OLISEH: Eagles Should Not Celebrate Third Place.....

Post by Enugu II »

Super Eagles: Nigeria cannot celebrate 3rd place – Oliseh
ON JULY 23, 20199:33 AMIN NEWS, SPORTSBY EMMANUEL OKOGBA
By Jacob Ajom

Former Super Eagles captain, Sunday Oliseh has said he was baffled that Nigerians were celebrating a third-place finish at the just concluded Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt. The Super Eagles picked up their eighth AFCON bronze medal Wednesday, after recording a 1-0 win over Tunisia in a lacklustre third/fourth place playoff.

A lot of Nigerians believe the Super Eagles ought to have done better than the Bronze finish. Speaking on Sport Radio Brila fm Saturday morning, Oliseh who was Super Eagles coach before Gernot Rohr took over said, “Benin can celebrate third place, Madagascar can celebrate third place. Nigeria cannot celebrate second place. That was why I cried after the 2000 AFCON when we lost to Cameroon in the final. I cried because I felt Nigeria deserved nothing but the trophy.”

The 1994 AFCON winner said Nigerians must change their mentality and become more demanding. “Nigerians must be demanding. We cannot be asking for less when we know our capacity. We are blessed with abundant talents. We ought to be the best in Africa.”

Oliseh, however, said there was still hope in the national team as he saw very exciting young talents in the team that went to Egypt. “Yes there were some good, young talents I saw in the team. It was fascinating to note that,” he said.

He frowned at the decision by the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick to send Gernot Rohr on a refresher course. He said, “if we want to continue to ridicule ourselves before the world let it be. It is unfortunate that our football federation wants to take a foreigner, on contract out for a refresher course when we have very many Nigerian coaches that would need such opportunities that would benefit the country.”

Oliseh said that if the NFF were serious about the improvement of coaches, he could be of assistance in that respect. “If the NFF calls on me and proposed that they want three, four or five of their coaches on attachment with, say Ajax, I can arrange for them to go and observe what their counterparts out there do, maybe for one or two weeks. That can be done.”

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/07/sup ... ce-oliseh/
Last edited by Enugu II on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OLISEH: Eagles Should Not Celebrate Third Place.....

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

:P Oya Oliseh haters club...5 4 3 2 1...
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Oliseh should be the last one talking.
We haven't forgotten your lackluster performance as coach.

[/video]
[/video]
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

he should shut up. if not for him quitting cowardly we would have made the last two editions
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

I am not sure who I dislike more Eguavon or Oliseh. I think its Oliseh, come to think of it. Eguavon is just always where I do not want him, but Oliseh does one even better...opens mouth too often.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Oliseh is speaking facts, Rohr has infected so many Nigerians with the loser mentality that it’s so sad to read comments on this site. Yes oliseh was a terrible coach but at least he did not create a loser mentality in the SE. those rohr supporters Berra apply for ghananese citizenship. Real Nigerians win. Cowards celebrate 3rd place
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

There are things Rohr has really brought into the Nigerian game, half of me wants him to stay, but overall he is just the wrong man.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Is this not the bags that chased Enyeama away from SE? Is he not the the first coach to pick race because of juju.Ok.. I get it. We should celebrate the gold dust he won us in the few days he was coach. :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Is this not the bags that chased Enyeama away from SE? Is he not the the first coach to pick race because of juju.Ok.. I get it. We should celebrate the gold dust he won us in the few days he was coach. :roll:

For real?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

He's right.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

kalani JR wrote:He's right.

Well well, we have Emir, who can remedy that, if thats his only problem.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote:
By Jacob Ajom

Former Super Eagles captain, Sunday Oliseh has said he was baffled that Nigerians were celebrating a third-place finish at the just concluded Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt. The Super Eagles picked up their eighth AFCON bronze medal Wednesday, after recording a 1-0 win over Tunisia in a lacklustre third/fourth place playoff.

A lot of Nigerians believe the Super Eagles ought to have done better than the Bronze finish. Speaking on Sport Radio Brila fm Saturday morning, Oliseh who was Super Eagles coach before Gernot Rohr took over said, “Benin can celebrate third place, Madagascar can celebrate third place. Nigeria cannot celebrate second place. That was why I cried after the 2000 AFCON when we lost to Cameroon in the final. I cried because I felt Nigeria deserved nothing but the trophy.”

The 1994 AFCON winner said Nigerians must change their mentality and become more demanding. “Nigerians must be demanding. We cannot be asking for less when we know our capacity. We are blessed with abundant talents. We ought to be the best in Africa.”

Oliseh, however, said there was still hope in the national team as he saw very exciting young talents in the team that went to Egypt. “Yes there were some good, young talents I saw in the team. It was fascinating to note that,” he said.

He frowned at the decision by the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick to send Gernot Rohr on a refresher course. He said, “if we want to continue to ridicule ourselves before the world let it be. It is unfortunate that our football federation wants to take a foreigner, on contract out for a refresher course when we have very many Nigerian coaches that would need such opportunities that would benefit the country.”

Oliseh said that if the NFF were serious about the improvement of coaches, he could be of assistance in that respect. “If the NFF calls on me and proposed that they want three, four or five of their coaches on attachment with, say Ajax, I can arrange for them to go and observe what their counterparts out there do, maybe for one or two weeks. That can be done.”

WELL, WELL, WELL

This is what I've been saying on this subject in other threads using different words. Rejoicing over third place (even Buhari knew better and didn't invite them to Abuja or offer them land or cars), sending an older foreign coach on training at the expense of Nigerian who need it more? That's insane and that seems to be the sentiment from retired internationals as well.
Bell
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

He is right, we should celebrate how great he left the SE instead. We Nigerians are some %%%% up people. This is like ole Obasanjo lecturing Buhari about good governance and corruption.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

When I say some Nigerians are DELUSIONAL, people think I’m just saying it to wind people up. Oliseh was the same one that invited his “Brother Agent” (Client) Paul onobi to SE and dude even benched “Mikel Obi” for some games (the nerve) previously, the same oliseh was highly critical of Keshi team until he got a chance to coach SE and started drawing minors while explaining his stalemate results against minors the same minors that Keshi failed to defeat and he was critical of Keshi team. Anyway, oliseh if you’re DELUSIONAL let’s remind you that you, Siasia and Eguavoen combined failed to Qualify us for 3 Different ANC that’s why ROHR was Hired and yes you’re right, on a normal circumstance we shouldn’t be celebrating 3rd place result but on the basis of failing to Qualify for 2 back to back ANC in Succession, 3rd place was a progressive Success. We can learn, build from that 3rd place and become finalist or Winners but it’s much much better than FAILING to QUALIFY. Mr Oliseh, you have no moral justification to even criticize Rohr team at all because Pinnick loved, provided all amenities for you. He even deemed you as “African guadiola” but you still disappointed.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

9jaMan wrote:Oliseh is speaking facts, Rohr has infected so many Nigerians with the loser mentality that it’s so sad to read comments on this site. Yes oliseh was a terrible coach but at least he did not create a loser mentality in the SE. those rohr supporters Berra apply for ghananese citizenship. Real Nigerians win. Cowards celebrate 3rd place
Yes we should win,I don’t see the point in celebrating 3rd place because we’ve ran out of steam at that stage too many times, we’ve also reached 7 finals and only won 3 so it’s not as if we always win we are surely good enough to win but there seems to be a mental hurdle to get over.
Employing below average European coaches isn’t a winning mentality, having incompetent over weight beer bellied governors as club owners is not a winners mentality, your NFF taking government money and still not owning an academy is not a winning mentality, the list goes on.Nigerians always beat their chest and talk about being great but don’t put the work in, praying and hoping can only take you so far, if you fail to plan, plan to fail.Greatness isn’t rewarded by luck alone the talent must be utilised and standards must be raised before the belief is not that of fantasy.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Lol Oliseh is a Nigerian legend and all as a player so I will come at him sideways, but abeg he needs to STFU on this one...he's the least person to even talk about Rohr winning bronze... at least Rohr aside from having a far better record than him, won something... and didn't abandon shop amidst crisis.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I am not the biggest fan of his time coaching Nigeria but he is spot on! Face the message, not the messenger.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Oliseh is right! I agree with every single word, sentence and paragraph. Spot on!

*If Oliseh should shut up then no one here, and I repeat, not a single person on CE is qualified to talk about Nigerian football.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

YemiBrazil wrote:Oliseh is right! I agree with every single word, sentence and paragraph. Spot on!

*If Oliseh should shut up then no one here, and I repeat, not a single person on CE is qualified to talk about Nigerian football.
GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...Oliseh like many of his foolhardy compatriots on CE does it again.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
By Jacob Ajom

“Benin can celebrate third place, Madagascar can celebrate third place. Nigeria cannot celebrate second place. That was why I cried after the 2000 AFCON when we lost to Cameroon in the final. I cried because I felt Nigeria deserved nothing but the trophy.”
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

aruako1 wrote:I am not the biggest fan of his time coaching Nigeria but he is spot on! Face the message, not the messenger.
I am not Oliseh's fan either.

But we should aspire for more... much more.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

john12 wrote:When I say some Nigerians are DELUSIONAL, people think I’m just saying it to wind people up. Oliseh was the same one that invited his “Brother Agent” (Client) Paul onobi to SE and dude even benched “Mikel Obi” for some games (the nerve) previously, the same oliseh was highly critical of Keshi team until he got a chance to coach SE and started drawing minors while explaining his stalemate results against minors the same minors that Keshi failed to defeat and he was critical of Keshi team. Anyway, oliseh if you’re DELUSIONAL let’s remind you that you, Siasia and Eguavoen combined failed to Qualify us for 3 Different ANC that’s why ROHR was Hired and yes you’re right, on a normal circumstance we shouldn’t be celebrating 3rd place result but on the basis of failing to Qualify for 2 back to back ANC in Succession, 3rd place was a progressive Success. We can learn, build from that 3rd place and become finalist or Winners but it’s much much better than FAILING to QUALIFY. Mr Oliseh, you have no moral justification to even criticize Rohr team at all because Pinnick loved, provided all amenities for you. He even deemed you as “African guadiola” but you still disappointed.

Agreed.

I don't know who is celebrating, so I won't go there. But unless you think that the SE is only allowed to win an AFCON gold, then I don't understand the criticism either. Rohr has hit all his targets. They set a semi-final target for Rohr, and he got there. Chikena! Especially considering the team missed the last 2.

I wouldn't mind if Rohr's targets are elevated, but calling him less than a success, considering all, is odd. Coaching is hard. Successful coaching, even harder. Lots of factors have to be managed - especially in a climate like Nigeria's. I remember when Oliseh first took over the gig. He started asking for time to build and mould a team, saying the boys were young etc. i.e. Exactly what Rohr says!

Oliseh and his ilk could not manage all the factors needed to match Rohr's record....Rohr has been able to. Punditry is far easier.
Last edited by deanotito on Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet