Calling Oloye, Txj et al: The Nigerian Coach 'Situation'.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Obong
Egg
Egg
Re: Calling Oloye, Txj et al: The Nigerian Coach 'Situation'

Post by Obong »

Enugu II wrote:Damunk,

Thanks for this important question. Like you, it is incredible to claim that there isn't a sound coaching mind among a Nigerian population that excels in much more complex endeavor than coaching football. Yet, we are unable to even mention a single Nigerian coach that can measure up to the very best coaching minds in the world. So what is wrong? For me there are multiple plausible explanations for this anomaly.

Let me be clear. By top coaching minds, I am talking of those coaches who make significant difference wherever they go. Those coaches are very few in the world. In the EPL, they are extremely a small number with most others average. There are certainly several Nigerians, given the opportunity, that will perform just as well as the average EPL coach. The key word is opportunity. Already someone has asked why Africans, who are in environments like Europe, not making it big in coaching. Opportunity is the key. If coaching continues to depend on an archaic Old Boys Network in its hiring practices, then it will take a long time to have a Nigerian get the opportunity to show that they are just as good as any of the numerous "average EPL" coaches.

But why are they not doing well in Nigeria? I think many on this thread have already provided answers. Let me add mine and they all are related to the environment. Think about the following: (1) how will you notice a good coach in an environment where match-fixing is rife and all home teams win their games? (2) Good coaching requires managing a stable team that learns your system over time. This is hard to come by in an environment where significant number of players leave every year to other clubs or to foreign countries. (3) Good coaching does not occur in a vacuum. In Nigeria, how will you easily achieve good coaching when numerous players are battling hunger and battling for labor compensation?

The points above are designed to point out that there may well be good Nigerian coaches as the law of averages ought to predict, however you will not notice them because of the impediments mentioned above. There are likely to be even more impediments based on what others have already identified.

Nevertheless, there are a few local coaches that have shown some consistency in terms of results inspite of the match-fixing, etc. Look towards the likes of Gbenga Ogunbote, Abdu Maikaba, and Kennedy Boboye.
A summary of the Nigerian coaches conundrum. Top notch!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Enugu II wrote:Damunk,

Thanks for this important question. Like you, it is incredible to claim that there isn't a sound coaching mind among a Nigerian population that excels in much more complex endeavor than coaching football. Yet, we are unable to even mention a single Nigerian coach that can measure up to the very best coaching minds in the world. So what is wrong? For me there are multiple plausible explanations for this anomaly.

Let me be clear. By top coaching minds, I am talking of those coaches who make significant difference wherever they go. Those coaches are very few in the world. In the EPL, they are extremely a small number with most others average. There are certainly several Nigerians, given the opportunity, that will perform just as well as the average EPL coach. The key word is opportunity. Already someone has asked why Africans, who are in environments like Europe, not making it big in coaching. Opportunity is the key. If coaching continues to depend on an archaic Old Boys Network in its hiring practices, then it will take a long time to have a Nigerian get the opportunity to show that they are just as good as any of the numerous "average EPL" coaches.

But why are they not doing well in Nigeria? I think many on this thread have already provided answers. Let me add mine and they all are related to the environment. Think about the following: (1) how will you notice a good coach in an environment where match-fixing is rife and all home teams win their games? (2) Good coaching requires managing a stable team that learns your system over time. This is hard to come by in an environment where significant number of players leave every year to other clubs or to foreign countries. (3) Good coaching does not occur in a vacuum. In Nigeria, how will you easily achieve good coaching when numerous players are battling hunger and battling for labor compensation?

The points above are designed to point out that there may well be good Nigerian coaches as the law of averages ought to predict, however you will not notice them because of the impediments mentioned above. There are likely to be even more impediments based on what others have already identified.

Nevertheless, there are a few local coaches that have shown some consistency in terms of results inspite of the match-fixing, etc. Look towards the likes of Gbenga Ogunbote, Abdu Maikaba, and Kennedy Boboye.
Well said EII

I agree with you to an extent.

Football coaching does rely on an old boys network system but there was a time when many of the jobs that Nigerians currently excel in were 'closed' or difficult to break into years ago. With hard work, determination and focus however many finally broke through and showed their quality, opening the door to many others that came after them. Damunk asked a pertinent question - "is football not attracting the right individuals"? Considering there is a pathway for coaching now with the UEFA Licence courses how come we havent seen a similar number of dedicated and determined aspiring coaches striving to earn these qualifications and then going all out to apply their knowledge in foreign clubs even if in the lower leagues? I am not sure of the answer but could one possible explanation be that the returns to be had as a coach are not as much as traditional careers in Medicine, LAw, IT, Education etc hence the dearth of candidates looking to plot that particular career path? Or as you say the challenges in Football coaching abroad are tougher and harder to surmount?

One of my bug bears with Samson Siasia was that the guy did not capitalise on the huge profile he had built up between 2005 and 2008 by taking Nigeria's youth teams to finals of major football competitions. Its quite shocking that he did not pursue any UEFA license qualification to date as far as i know (i may be wrong) and i asked him about this when i met him in SA in 2010. His response was he was working on it. I believe he was/is a talented coach but he obviously lacked the drive and determination that was necessary to improve and better himself. We all know the extent we are required to go in order to advance in our careers in the west (acquiring extra certification, degrees, attending conferences etc just to get an edge over an Oyinbo who doesnt have the qualifications but will still be considered for a job as your boss!).

I have met a cuple of ex footballers coaching here in England, Clement Temile that i mentioned earlier and more recently Joseph Afusi (ex Gabros International striker) who runs a very vibrant soccer school in Kent that my son attended over the holidays. Feedback from the sessions he has been running has beeen great and his profile seems to be growing so it is possible if individuals are ready and willing to put the work in.
YNWA
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Calling Oloye, Txj et al: The Nigerian Coach 'Situation'.

Post by Damunk »

:bump: :bump: :bump:
An ongoing discussion IMHO, triggered for me by the Finidi dispute at Enyimba, the local coach apathy as revealed by the NFF VP Seyi Akinwunmi and the desperately loud calls for the sacking of Rohr by BigPorkey and Fatporkey.

Two names mentioned in the thread two years ago: Clement Temile and Joseph Afusi.
Any updates? :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Eguavon now in charge....not for the first time of course.
W wish him all the best for the sake of our SE

In another thread earlier today, I asked:

If a so-called ‘football-mad’, football-playing nation of nearly 200m people can barely boast of 3 or 4 quality coaches good enough for the national team, and none of whom have exactly covered themselves in past glory, then you definitely have a coaching problem!
You don’t think so?

It's a legit question.
What can we do to change the situation?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

txj wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm
Damunk wrote:
txj wrote:
Damunk wrote:
cchinukw wrote:The same way you put structures in place to unearth and nurture any sort of talent is what should be done for Nigerian football coaching and administration.

I think football organisation in Nigeria can borrow from the self organising and drive for excellence we now find happening in Nollywood.

It may even have to be a club or 2 leading the way to set the agenda with some visionary leadership to set up centres of excellence that eventually transform the environment.

Waiting for NFF to do the needful is a futile exercise.
I agree with this and it may be the only way in the absence of a well structured and focussed national football body.
But they say cream always rises to the top, even in the gutter and I am seriously wondering why we haven't seen exceptionally gifted coaches sporadically arising from our so-called 'jungle".

Your reference to Nollywood is perfect. Music same thing. There is no structured industry on ground but it is still attracting some extremely talented people. The secret is the potential monetary rewards that can be acquired if you plan right.

But is coaching still stuck in the 80s when Nigerians only thought law, medicine, engineering and accountancy were worth pursuing until football, music and the arts proved them all wrong?

Which two clubs?

All the clubs are as dysfunctional as the next!

You keep citing examples that are not appropriate.

However talented a coach may be individually, his skills will have to interact with multiple factors that are outside his control- human factors like players- their welfare, motivation, health and nutrition; quality of pitch, refereeing, etc...
Even the corresponding quality of opposition which would create the competition that helps hone his skills...

So however good he is individually, if the environment is not conducive, he will eventually be dragged down...

It could be argued that cream already rose to the top wrt Keshi and possibly Amodu; but what followed next?
But don't these same factors apply to players as well?

You make the assumption that other things are excelling except coaching, which is just wrong..

We cannot develop a GK. We are looking for players in the diaspora...many of our presumed top talents cannot break thru in Europe, although other factors do come in...

Contrast that with the US, where the MLS began just over two decades ago. Tyler Adams just moved from the MLS direct to the first team of a major European team, RB Leipzig.

The last time any Nigerian player did that was when George Finidi moved from Sharks to Ajax!
Taiye Taiwo from Lobi Stars to Marseille
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bump.
I thought I’d bring this back since we are again preoccupied with our yearly obsession with sacking the coach and bringing in ‘one of our own’.

Omo wa ni. E j’o se!” (Na awa pikin. Give am, make e do am)
This is the old version of what is today known as ‘Emi Lokanism

So, we are facing the sacking of Peseiro, and want to bring in…….who again? :blink:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:11 am Bump.
I thought I’d bring this back since we are again preoccupied with our yearly obsession with sacking the coach and bringing in ‘one of our own’.

So, we are facing the sacking of Peseiro, and want to bring in…….who again? :blink:
There would be no "obsession" if the coaches in question did not play unusually tentative football. Peseiro was given the benefit of the doubt (even after losing to Guinea Bissau at home) until he drew his two opening world cup qualifiers against mighty Lesotho (at home) and a Zimbabwe team forced to play away from home. He then played an ultra defensive style in the AFCON leading fans to worry about his ability to score against teams adopting a low block in games we need to win. This is despite us having some of the most exciting attacking talent in the world.

Rohr spent 5 years and many really soured to him in the last two years of his tenure. We lost home games to South Africa and CAR under him and barely escaped with a draw in our final WC first round game against Cape Verde.

We should therefore not pretend that there are no football reasons behind the clamour. When the NFF shows itself incapable of hiring coaches that understand the traditional strengths of a Nigerian team, is it any wonder that fans clamour for a Nigerian coach? Even if there were no football reasons, why us it strange that Nigerians get a job that is based in Nigeria?

On who to bring in? That is the NFF's job. There is no shortage of good coaches that can play effective, attacking football. Even if they wanted a foreigner, we saw what the young Angolan team did with far less talent available to him.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:26 am

There would be no "obsession" if the coaches in question did not play unusually tentative football. Peseiro was given the benefit of the doubt (even after losing to Guinea Bissau at home) until he drew his two opening world cup qualifiers against mighty Lesotho (at home) and a Zimbabwe team forced to play away from home. He then played an ultra defensive style in the AFCON leading fans to worry about his ability to score against teams adopting a low block in games we need to win. This is despite us having some of the most exciting attacking talent in the world.

Rohr spent 5 years and many really soured to him in the last two years of his tenure. We lost home games to South Africa and CAR under him and barely escaped with a draw in our final WC first round game against Cape Verde.

We should therefore not pretend that there are no football reasons behind the clamour. When the NFF shows itself incapable of hiring coaches that understand the traditional strengths of a Nigerian team, is it any wonder that fans clamour for a Nigerian coach? Even if there were no football reasons, why us it strange that Nigerians get a job that is based in Nigeria?

On who to bring in? That is the NFF's job. There is no shortage of good coaches that can play effective, :ohmy: attacking football. Even if they wanted a foreigner, we saw what the young Angolan team did with far less talent available to him.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Classical cop-out.
If there was “no shortage” you’d be dropping names like hot akara- with evidence to back you up.
Turns out all we ever hear are the same recycled names of Amuneke, Finidi, Siasia, Eguavoen.

Yes, it’s the NFF’s decision last-last, but since when did Cybereagles not have a list as long as Schindler’s to back up whatever argument they are making in the name of Nigerian football?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:09 am

On who to bring in? That is the NFF's job. There is no shortage of good coaches that can play effective, :ohmy: attacking football. Even if they wanted a foreigner, we saw what the young Angolan team did with far less talent available to him.
Classical cop-out.
If there was “no shortage” you’d be dropping names like hot akara- with evidence to back you up.
Turns out all we ever hear are the same recycled names of Amuneke, Finidi, Siasia, Eguavoen.

Yes, it’s the NFF’s decision last-last, but since when did Cybereagles not have a list as long as Schindler’s to back up whatever argument they are making in the name of Nigerian football?
This is a fan's forum, and we will give our views. I have given a few names, foreign and local, in the past few days but you cannot see past your obsession to put down any local manager suggestion. In fact my top two suggestions have been foreign but I am happy with local coaches as well - they will not defend as if they were San Marino playing Brazil when they have Africa's best talent and they are playing Ivory Coast.

If I was convinced that Peseiro would make the changes requires to beat a low block in the WCQ I would not be in this discussion. After the 2019 Afcon I did not ask for Rohr to go, even with my frustrations with him, because I thought he could build the team from there. He failed to do it. Peseiro has not showed that he can build a coordinated attack against African defensive formations and that is exactly what we need in the WCQ.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:22 am

Classical cop-out.

This is a fan's forum, and we will give our views. I have given a few names, foreign and local, in the past few days but you cannot see past your obsession to put down any local manager suggestion. In fact my top two suggestions have been foreign but I am happy with local coaches as well - they will not defend as if they were San Marino playing Brazil when they have Africa's best talent and they are playing Ivory Coast.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This is blackmail.
I do not have an “obsession” with putting down local managers.
I am simply asking you and others to back up the suggestions with evidence as to why they are good enough for the SE.

Like someone asked - and I’ve asked the same - is simply being a Nigerian coach a guarantee of quality? What parameters are you using to evaluate suitability for a national team coach? That’s not an obsession or a put down.
It is putting you on the spot and it might make you feel less comfortable because you know you’d never shortlist Amuneke or Finidi if the applicants list was anonymized.
Never.

So your case is a sentimental one and won’t stand up to scrutiny.
But that’s fair enough, as long as Nigerians are ready to sink or swim with their sentimental decision.
History tells us otherwise.
Nor be today we dey destroy coach. Their only release seems to be death, unfortunately. May they RIP.
If I was convinced that Peseiro would make the changes requires to beat a low block in the WCQ I would not be in this discussion. After the 2019 Afcon I did not ask for Rohr to go, even with my frustrations with him, because I thought he could build the team from there. He failed to do it. Peseiro has not showed that he can build a coordinated attack against African defensive formations and that is exactly what we need in the WCQ.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but don’t try and gaslight the counterview by saying it is down to an “obsession” with rubbishing local coaches.

You are obviously totally oblivious to the flack - not to mention personal insults - many of us attracted by standing up for local coaches like Keshi, Amodu and Siasia…even Oliseh.
And it was ‘live’, not after the fact.
I was one of the so-called ‘Keshi Houseboys’. Someone dug up one of the threads recently. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So no, it’s not any “obsession” or mindless prejudice against local coaches.
All I want is success and I am not convinced any of our local coaches today gives me assurances to move the needle up for a country that is now no 28 in FIFA rankings.
We are not just talking AFCON here. We are talking World Cup too.

I think that’s a fair point not to be rubbished.

As for other African coaches, I am completely up for it as long they have a credible track record of some sort. So it’s not about ‘WOWOism’ either, in case that’s what you are secretly thinking. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:23 am
aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:22 am

Classical cop-out.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This is blackmail.
I do not have an “obsession” with putting down local managers.
I am simply asking you and others to back up the suggestions with evidence as to why they are good enough for the SE.

Like someone asked - and I’ve asked the same - is simply being a Nigerian coach a guarantee of quality? What parameters are you using to evaluate suitability for a national team coach? That’s not an obsession or a put down.
It is putting you on the spot and it might make you feel less comfortable because you know you’d never shortlist Amuneke or Finidi if the applicants list was anonymized.
Never.

So your case is a sentimental one and won’t stand up to scrutiny.
But that’s fair enough, as long as Nigerians are ready to sink or swim with their sentimental decision.
History tells us otherwise.
Nor be today we dey destroy coach. Their only release seems to be death, unfortunately. May they RIP.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but don’t try and gaslight the counterview by saying it is down to an “obsession” with rubbishing local coaches.

You are obviously totally oblivious to the flack - not to mention personal insults - many of us attracted by standing up for local coaches like Keshi, Amodu and Siasia…even Oliseh.
And it was ‘live’, not after the fact.
I was one of the so-called ‘Keshi Houseboys’. Someone dug up one of the threads recently. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So no, it’s not any “obsession” or mindless prejudice against local coaches.
All I want is success and I am not convinced any of our local coaches today gives me assurances to move the needle up for a country that is now no 28 in FIFA rankings.
We are not just talking AFCON here. We are talking World Cup too.

I think that’s a fair point not to be rubbished.

As for other African coaches, I am completely up for it as long they have a credible track record of some sort. So it’s not about ‘WOWOism’ either, in case that’s what you are secretly thinking. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I borrowed the word obsession from you. And if you read again, "Classic cop out" was not very fkattering language from you. And I have backed up the reasons why I would put Amuneke, Finidi and Egbo on a shortlist several times. They would totally go on my shortlist if they were annonymysied. They all understand how Nigeria play. Amuneke has had tournament experience in Africa and youth team experience. Finidi won the league in Nigeria and has experience as an assistant in Europe. Egbo has coached in the champions league. An added bonus for them is that they have all been Nigerian internationals and understand what it means to the fans.

The above points are good enough for me to get them on a shortlist and for them to be in any conversation about SE coaches. I have heard about a few other local coaches like Daniel Ogunmodede of Remo Stars but I havent watched them enough. You might have supported Keshi and other local coaches in the past but that does not mean that your are not applying a broad brush of dismissal about every local coach that we dare to mention on a fans forum.

I also looked at Goncalves because he took a largely homebased Angolan team to the quarter finals after an initial stint with their U-17 team. And they played some of the best attacking football without looking poor in defence. Mosimane has won several champions league trophies with Sundowns and Al-Ahly and so his knowledge base of the lesser known teams is immense. He is a keen follower of the African game and will understand the right balance between attack and defence.

Even if I am happy with Peseiro (I'm not simply because of my concerns about his attacking play), I won't try to shut down evert discussion about local coaches.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:02 pm
I borrowed the word obsession from you. And if you read again, "
Aruako, you might have borrowed the word from me but you’ve used it in a completely different context.
Mine was collective. Yours was personal.
I was talking about how after bad and not-so-bad SE spells, we are looking to sack the coach. Remember my famous phrase, “20/20 ‘vision’”?
That was 20 coaches in 20 years. Probably a world record., and na we get am :rotf:
That’s what I was talking about.

Yours was about me. You believe I am now obsessed with putting down local coaches.
Can your case for that stand up in court? Of course not. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
”Classic cop out" was not very fkattering language from you.
I am not sure why you find this unacceptable language, but if you feel offended by it, I apologise.
I was simply suggesting you were taking the easy way out of the debate by avoiding the question and referring me to the NFF. I don’t really see that as unflattering, unless to disagree with you is an issue, which I know it isn't usually.

As for your shortlist criteria, I’ll zip my mouth. :D :D :D
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:24 pm
Aruako, you might have borrowed the word from me but you’ve used it in a completely different context.
I was talking about how after bad and not-so-bad SE spells, we are looking to sack the coach. Remember my famous phrase, “20/20 ‘vision’”?
That was 20 coaches in 20 years. Probably a world record., and na we get am :rotf:

Yours was about me. You believe I am now obsessed with putting down local coaches.
I am not sure why you find this unacceptable language, but if you feel offended by it, I apologise.
I was simply suggesting you were taking the easy way out of the debate by avoiding the question and referring me to the NFF. I don’t really see that as unflattering, unless to disagree with you is an issue, which I know it isn't usually.

If the only issue for you is my shortlist criteria, I'm sure I can live with that. At least you know that I would have shortlisted them if the process was anonymous. However, whether you agree or not, it is never unreasonable to advocate for local coaches for the SE. Just as it is not unreasonable for people to advocate for Peseiro to stay (even if it is not my position)

And it is not shocking that people ask for the coaches to be fired. Most times such decisions are poorly made. That is how we got Rohr, Eguavoen and Peseiro. It is no wonder that they are sacked. The defence of Osimhen should tell you that if people are convinced that you are the best and you give the right effort, they will defend you in lean times.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:37 pm

If the only issue for you is my shortlist criteria, I'm sure I can live with that. At least you know that I would have shortlisted them if the process was anonymous. However, whether you agree or not, it is never unreasonable to advocate for local coaches for the SE. Just as it is not unreasonable for people to advocate for Peseiro to stay (even if it is not my position)

And it is not shocking that people ask for the coaches to be fired. Most times such decisions are poorly made. That is how we got Rohr, Eguavoen and Peseiro. It is no wonder that they are sacked. The defence of Osimhen should tell you that if people are convinced that you are the best and you give the right effort, they will defend you in lean times.
My position and the position of several others is that it would be unreasonable to advocate for local coaches to take on the huge job of SE coach if they are getting the job simply because they are Nigerian, and not because they have an accompanying CV that speaks for itself.

I love my people, but I will not push an unqualified person into position just because they are Nigerian.
It’s setting them up to fail in my view, and I won't do that.

Your position is that they are qualified for the job.
It’s a simple difference of opinion, not an obsession of mine to denigrate the locals.
I forgive you sha. Nuttin spoil.

Just for the record: I’d much rather Nigeria win the World Cup with a Nigerian coach than with a foreigner.
That’s my ideal.

Next in line would be another African. See where my heart is?

But until our Nigerian and African coaches begin to demonstrate they really have what it takes, I will go for whoever has the best CV including track record to carry us as far as we can go. I am not sentimental when it comes to Nigeria in the world spotlight.

Meanwhile, I’m really excited about the young manager at Beyond Limits.
Something about him tells me he is going places. He is building his pedigree and going about his self-development the right way.
Fingers crossed. :thumb:
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:06 pm

My position and the position of several others is that it would be unreasonable to advocate for local coaches to take on the huge job of SE coach if they are getting the job simply because they are Nigerian, and not because they have an accompanying CV that speaks for itself.

I love my people, but I will not push an unqualified person into position just because they are Nigerian.

It’s a simple difference of opinion, not an obsession of mine to denigrate the locals.

Just for the record: I’d much rather Nigeria win the World Cup with a Nigerian coach than with a foreigner.
That’s my ideal.

But until our Nigerian and African coaches begin to demonstrate they really have what it takes, I will go for whoever has the best CV including track record to carry us as far as we can go. I am not sentimental when it comes to Nigeria in the world spotlight.

Something about him tells me he is going places. He is building his pedigree and going about his self-development the right way.
Aliou Cisse would never have coached Senegal if we went by your criteria. Before he took over from Senegal, he was at the same level as the coaches you insist should not be mentioned at all.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:16 pm

That’s my ideal.

Aliou Cisse would never have coached Senegal if we went by your criteria. Before he took over from Senegal, he was at the same level as the coaches you insist should not be mentioned at all.
If he were Nigerian, trust me, we would have booted him out within his first two years, if not earlier.
Our people and our expectations are very different.
20/20 “vision”, remember? Or maybe, the lack of.
We have enough advocates already pushing for the dismissal of an AFCON silver medal-winning coach within a week of him tying it round his neck. Meanwhile, Cisse’s job is secure as we speak.

Senegal and Nigeria nor be di same.
You think Amodu’s dismissal was simply an NFF affair?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:47 pm
aruako1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:16 pm

That’s my ideal.

If he were Nigerian, trust me, we would have booted him out within his first two years, if not earlier.
Our people and our expectations are very different.
20/20 “vision”, remember? Or maybe, the lack of.
We have enough advocates already pushing for the dismissal of an AFCON silver medal-winning coach within a week of him tying it round his neck. Meanwhile, Cisse’s job is secure as we speak.

Senegal and Nigeria nor be di same.
You think Amodu’s dismissal was simply an NFF affair?
Now the goal post moves. You wouldn't have had pre national team Cisse on the shortlist if he were Nigerian because people would call for his head. Do you remove foreign coaches from shortlists because people call for their heads?

On the silver winning coach, the best time to make a clean break is after a major tournament. Many are calling from his head because we need to attack and win almost all our games against African teams (bar Sao Tome) playing the low block against them. He is not the type that will look to make the changes required to change this.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lifted from another thread but relevant to this conversation IMHO
packerland wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:04 am
Damunk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:08 am This guy is really paying his dues and working his way up to greater things.
You can tell he’s ambitious.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
He looks the part. I don’t mind a guy like this getting a shot instead of all these recycled coaches getting multiple opportunities with nothing to show for.
I’m telling you!
He can start with the u20s which is a team with very limited success by Nigerian youth standards.
Depending on how well he does, he can continue to work his way up.

Hopefully there are more like him ready to do the hard work.

You can just tell that this kind of guy already has medium and long term, self-development plans.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Viareggio Cup: The future stars of Nigerian football on parade
Beyond Limits vs Ojodu City FC: A story about two young Nigerian coaches

by Lolade Adewuyi 4 days ago.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/02/viareggio- ... arade.html

Last weekend I took a short flight from Berlin to Pisa in Italy where I was picked up at the airport by my good friend and aburo, Oluwabunmi Moses Egbebi of OE Sports, at the Galileo Galilei International Airport.

It was a warm welcome and embrace as we had not seen each other since April when we met in Aarhus, Denmark, during my trip to report the purchase of a club by Nigerian tech entrepreneur Shola Akinlade.

As he led me to his rental van, he introduced me to Paul Ogunlaja, the Sporting Director of Ojodu City FC. Ogunlaja’s team was playing in the Viareggio Cup for the first time and Moses wanted me to witness their game and see some of the talents in the squad.

We drove about 25 minutes from Pisa to the city of Lucca where we had pasta for dinner in a restaurant. Due to their busy schedule, the two men had not had time to savour the culinary treats of Italy since they arrived. So it was a good opportunity for them to relax that Friday night as we talked and discussed the vision of Ojodu City, a club founded in 2022.

We then drove to an apartment in the middle of town where I finally rested after midnight. On Saturday morning we drove into the mountains outside of Lucca to the team camp of Ojodu City in Calannori. The 23 players of the team were camped in a Florentine style stone villa. When we arrived, they were ready to proceed for their game against Empoli FC U18s, their third group game.

They needed a win to secure passage into the Round of 16 following one win and one defeat in their first two matches.
There were two vans available for everybody. As the club’s official agent, Moses drove one while Paul drove the bigger one. I sat in front with Paul and next to Ammeer “Kaka” Auwal, a Kano-born midfielder. We drove along meandering highways across the mountainous region towards Empoli’s training centre.

As we arrived, the players got ready for the game. It was a sunny day and temperatures rose to 18 degrees. They played a good game and defeated the hosts 2-0 with goals from Yahya Olayemi Subair and Hafiz Umar Ibrahim. At the end of the game, the boys celebrated like they had won the tournament. They were through to the Round of 16 as Empoli was eliminated.

We drove back to their camp in high spirits.

On Sunday morning, I returned to the camp to interview some of the players to document their stories for the future. It was important to do this because I could clearly see the talent that was on display and to recognize that some of the players would be signed up by European clubs after the tournament. I interviewed Bruno Alaekwe, Yahya Subair, Ammeer Auwal and Hafiz Ibrahim.

The interviews ran late as I lost track of the time and eventually missed my flight to Berlin. It was tough because I had promised my wife and children that I would be back with them on Sunday evening. I had to apologise to the family.

A historic visit
Later that Sunday, the camp received guests from Beyond Limits Football Academy, one of the other Nigerian teams participating in the competition. Beyond Limits’ coach Olumide Ajibolade and members of his crew including Muzamil Raji (a young lad that attended a conference that I organized in Lagos in 2019) had come to check on the Ojodu Tigers.

They came along with some food items to support the Ojodu boys. It was a great gesture from one Nigerian team to another.

As we all sat down around the dining table, we talked about Nigerian football. I asked the two coaches why teams in the NPFL are not offering opportunities to young men like them to take up head coaching roles instead of recycling old hands that is happening again and again in the league.

We also talked about why the cadet national teams are not giving younger coaches opportunities to manage the Nigeria U17 and U20 squads, considering the success they were having at the Viareggio Cup.

Then it came up that there was a possibility that both could be drawn to face each other in the competition’s latter stages. Olumide, a soft-spoken man, said that there would be no problem facing each other.

At that moment, it occurred to me to make a picture of both Paul and Olumide to keep the moment frozen in history.

The two teams progressed through their Round of 16 games. Beyond Limits defeated Avellino 3-1 while Ojodu whooped Westchester United 5-0.

They also won their quarterfinals games where Beyond Limits defeated Torino 2-1 while Ojodu beat Honved 4-0.

Fate has brought them together at last. They will meet in the semifinals for a chance to reach the final where they could meet either Nigerian side Mavlon or Congoless team Centre Nationale Brazzaville.

Whatever happens between them, after the game they will shake hands like brothers and wish the best for the other team to win the tournament as the first African side.

The future of Nigerian football is being shaped on the fields of Viareggio. And what glorious talents are emerging from the tournament, on the field and on the sidelines. Men of character and empathy. May their careers blossom beyond Viareggio into the four corners of the earth.
Interesting that he chose not to publish the answers to his own questions. :D

Anyway, we too are asking the same thing.