Ola Aina Played AFCON 2023 Final with Injury, Nottingham Forest Coach Says

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Ola Aina Played AFCON 2023 Final with Injury, Nottingham Forest Coach Says

Post by iworo »

Nottingham Coach Explains Why Ola Aina Struggled in AFCON Final, Nigerians Pen Emotional Tribute
  • Nottingham Forest manager Nuno Espirito Santos gave an update on Ola Aina's injury ahead of their weekend game against Aston Villa
  • The manager, in a pre-match statement, revealed the Super Eagles' defender played the AFCON final with an injury
  • The latest update about Ola Aina has stirred emotions from many Nigerian football fans as they penned tributes to the defender

Super Eagles defender and Nottingham Forest star Ola Aina is trending on social media platform X, formerly Twitter, after the Premier League club manager Nuno Espirito Santos gave an update about the footballer.

Aina, who was among the recognised players at the recently concluded AFCON final in Cote d'Ivoire, will be unavailable when Nottingham Forest takes on Aston Villa this weekend.

According to Nottingham's manager, the defender, who was given a warm welcome back to the club, played the AFCON finals against Cote d'Ivoire with an injury.

Espirito Santos said the Super Eagles defender sustained the injury during the semi-final win over South Africa, Daily Post reported. The football club manager said in a pre-match conference:

“Ola got injured in the semi-final and played the final with an injury, he tried but didn’t really play in the final."

Nigerian fans react to update about Ola Aina

Many have taken to social media to pour emotional tributes to the footballer. Legit.ng captured some of the comments, see them below:

abayomi4sam:

"So, Ola Aina played that final with injury? No wonder his performance is below par. He has served his nation well and we are proud of him. Jose Peseiro ought to have used an alternative i.e Osayi Samuel. In all, we thank you Ola Aina for your self-sacrifice and patriotism."
Ola Aina speaks about his AFCON experience

Legit.ng also reported that also reported that Ola Aina spoke about his experience in Cote d'Ivoire. The Super Eagles defender spoke about the AFCON consistently eluding Nigeria over the last three attempts. However, he was optimistic that he and the current Super Eagles players would win it soon.

https://www.legit.ng/entertainment/cele ... l-tribute/
iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: Ola Aina Played AFCON 2023 Final with Injury, Nottingham Forest Coach Says

Post by iworo »

Now it makes sense why the Ivorian winger dominated him with those crosses. This further underscores why Jose should have substituted him towards the end of the game. A decision that I'm certain Jose will be reflecting on for quite some time.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

iworo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm Nottingham Coach Explains Why Ola Aina Struggled in AFCON Final, Nigerians Pen Emotional Tribute
  • Nottingham Forest manager Nuno Espirito Santos gave an update on Ola Aina's injury ahead of their weekend game against Aston Villa
  • The manager, in a pre-match statement, revealed the Super Eagles' defender played the AFCON final with an injury
  • The latest update about Ola Aina has stirred emotions from many Nigerian football fans as they penned tributes to the defender

Super Eagles defender and Nottingham Forest star Ola Aina is trending on social media platform X, formerly Twitter, after the Premier League club manager Nuno Espirito Santos gave an update about the footballer.

Aina, who was among the recognised players at the recently concluded AFCON final in Cote d'Ivoire, will be unavailable when Nottingham Forest takes on Aston Villa this weekend.

According to Nottingham's manager, the defender, who was given a warm welcome back to the club, played the AFCON finals against Cote d'Ivoire with an injury.

Espirito Santos said the Super Eagles defender sustained the injury during the semi-final win over South Africa, Daily Post reported. The football club manager said in a pre-match conference:

“Ola got injured in the semi-final and played the final with an injury, he tried but didn’t really play in the final."

Many have taken to social media to pour emotional tributes to the footballer. Legit.ng captured some of the comments, see them below:

abayomi4sam:

"So, Ola Aina played that final with injury? No wonder his performance is below par. He has served his nation well and we are proud of him. Jose Peseiro ought to have used an alternative i.e Osayi Samuel. In all, we thank you Ola Aina for your self-sacrifice and patriotism."

Legit.ng also reported that also reported that Ola Aina spoke about his experience in Cote d'Ivoire. The Super Eagles defender spoke about the AFCON consistently eluding Nigeria over the last three attempts. However, he was optimistic that he and the current Super Eagles players would win it soon.

I wonder how those “fans” who insulted him feel now. One even said Aina should drink acid water!
I am happy
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Wow that makes so much sense. He was outran at every attempt and couldnt even control simple passes. Had so many turnovers. Adringa noticed that and completely took advantage. The coach is to blame for this. Terrible decision to risk an injured player for a high stakes final.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Goalgetter wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:38 pm Wow that makes so much sense. He was outran at every attempt and couldnt even control simple passes. Had so many turnovers. Adringa noticed that and completely took advantage. The coach is to blame for this. Terrible decision to risk an injured player for a high stakes final.
Maybe he didn’t reveal his injury to the coaches. Now you could blame the coach for not substituting him for his poor play.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Dammy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:32 pm
iworo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm Nottingham Coach Explains Why Ola Aina Struggled in AFCON Final, Nigerians Pen Emotional Tribute

abayomi4sam:

I wonder how those “fans” who insulted him feel now. One even said Aina should drink acid water!
So why did he not open his mouth to tell the coach that he was not fit?? If this is true then he is at fault!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Yall are missing the point. Shows how committed and dedicated these boys are towards our Country. Well done and get well soon Ola
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:29 pm Yall are missing the point. Shows how committed and dedicated these boys are towards our Country. Well done and get well soon Ola
Kpom! Even Troost Ekong played with a strap on his thigh all throughout the knockout stages. They put their bodies on the line for Nigeria and would probably not have played for their clubs if they had such injuries
I am happy
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:41 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:29 pm Yall are missing the point. Shows how committed and dedicated these boys are towards our Country. Well done and get well soon Ola
Kpom! Even Troost Ekong played with a strap on his thigh all throughout the knockout stages. They put their bodies on the line for Nigeria and would probably not have played for their clubs if they had such injuries
It's also very foolhardy to play with an injury. I appreciate the commitment but I'd rather field a fully-fit player especially if I have a strong replacement.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:53 pm
It's also very foolhardy to play with an injury. I appreciate the commitment but I'd rather field a fully-fit player especially if I have a strong replacement.
Maybe the injury was underestimated by the player, or the medics, or both.
Or maybe it simply got progressively worse.
Players are always pushing themselves to keep going, unless they just know it’s something serious, or is a recurring injury.

Don’t joke with adrenaline. :)
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Run into the ground by a manager that bizarrely chose two men short of the allowed squad number and proceeded not to spread the burden around his squad.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:41 pm
Players are always pushing themselves to keep going, unless they just know it’s something serious, or is a recurring injury.

If it got worse, the team handlers should have subbed him off or something because it was clear he was hurting the team. Unless, Nigeria Eagles didn’t have any options on the bench.

If they didn’t know about his injury, they should have. In this day and age, team handlers look for players hiding injury during match fitness assessment. Even if they missed it, they should have figured out the problem from the evidence on the green grass.

The club, and Nuno were probably upset by the mishandled situation.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:41 pm

Let's be clear, it shows the players are committed but may also demonstrate a selfish reason -- playing in an AFCON final is a big deal. Now do I blame them? Nope. I would also hide an injury to play in the final. Recall an earlier episode which was not even the final game when Peseiro asked Onyeka how he felt during a water break. Onyeka reportedly said he was okay. A visibly angry coach was miffed minutes later when he was forced to replace same player when Ekong reported that the guy was just not himself. Point is that you cannot rely on these players because they all want to play but wamting to play, while injured, may cost a team. Obviously Aina was not 100% and it ended up being part of the reason Nigeria lost given that it was Aina's worst game and now we know why. One of the goals, as I recall, came from Adingra getting past Aina and putting in a cross. Ordinarily, Adingra would unlikely have gone past Aina.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

A player playing an important game with injury only shows commitment if the situation is transparent with the medics and coaching staff. Else it’s selfishness, dereliction of duty and foolishness combined.
The latter seems to be the case as Peseiro in an interview blamed the loss on youth and inexperience. Unless he was lying to himself ignoring his poor squad management which was apparent. Worse is what he did about it in real time.
For their sakes could only hope Aina didn’t hide his injury and Peseiro didn’t know about it.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

BS!

It shows incompetence on the part of the coach. AKA Coaching Malpractice.

If he is not confident of his bench who should he blame? Did we assemble his bench? I actually thought the fullback position was one we had credible and competent options.

During the game and after the game we kept talking about how some of our players looked a step off.

The coach is employed to make tough decisions. To save the player from themselves. I have never met a competitor who didn't feel that he was better playing for the team than making way for a healthier player. That is the nature of being a competitor.

It is the job of the coach to sit a player down when he is not at his optimum best.

Ola Aina had a great tournament and was at a point one of the best if not the best player on the team. His display in that final game wasn't up to his usual standards. The coach ought to have known that as it was obvious in the first half. The same thing/issues the Ivorien coach saw and took advantage of.

We missed a great opportunity because of a coach who refused to rotate his squad adequately and played fatigued players in the finals. A finals we are not sure the next time we will smell...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:06 pm
BS!

If he is not confident of his bench who should he blame? Did we assemble his bench? I actually thought the fullback position was one we had credible and competent options.

During the game and after the game we kept talking about how some of our players looked a step off.

The coach is employed to make tough decisions. To save the player from themselves. I have never met a competitor who didn't feel that he was better playing for the team than making way for a healthier player. That is the nature of being a competitor.

It is the job of the coach to sit a player down when he is not at his optimum best.

Ola Aina had a great tournament and was at a point one of the best if not the best player on the team. His display in that final game wasn't up to his usual standards. The coach ought to have known that as it was obvious in the first half. The same thing/issues the Ivorien coach saw and took advantage of.

We missed a great opportunity because of a coach who refused to rotate his squad adequately and played fatigued players in the finals. A finals we are not sure the next time we will smell...

Its too easy to blame a coach, esp without details of the situation.
If your player tells you he's ready to go in a final, not much a coach can do about it.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:14 pm
BS!

If your player tells you he's ready to go in a final, not much a coach can do about it.
He can tell you he is ready to go. You give him the benefit of the doubt.
But when you see him struggling and not giving you what he normally gives you, you should make the change.
Me and my people watching the game saw he was not tracking back and was always chasing the man/ball. He was also miss-trapping and misplacing passes... signs that something wasn't quite right with him.

He wasn't the only one.

If you remember the last time we won the cup, the coach had to make tough decisions on Yobo, Igiebor, and Ikechukwu Uche.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

BS!

Cell

If the injury cannot be detected by the coach then there is nothing the coach can do oooo. It is up to the play to report this but in such a big game, many players tend to hide the injury to the detriment of the team. That, in my view, may have been the case here.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:14 am
BS!

Cell

If the injury cannot be detected by the coach then there is nothing the coach can do oooo. It is up to the play to report this but in such a big game, many players tend to hide the injury to the detriment of the team. That, in my view, may have been the case here.
Starting him is one thing, but refusing to sub him when he is struggling is on the coach…
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Dammy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:32 pm
...I am not for players being insulted but if you have injury you stay out.
The final was a massive game.
Was this a case of he knew but hid it from the coaches, or the coach knew but risked it?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:23 pm
BS!

But when you see him struggling and not giving you what he normally gives you, you should make the change.
Me and my people watching the game saw he was not tracking back and was always chasing the man/ball. He was also miss-trapping and misplacing passes... signs that something wasn't quite right with him.

He wasn't the only one.

If you remember the last time we won the cup, the coach had to make tough decisions on Yobo, Igiebor, and Ikechukwu Uche.

As you rightly noted, he wasn't the only one. So does the coach then change everybody?
Its too easy to point at the coach....

The report is that there are about 5 players who played with injury. So does the coach change all of them in order to avoid the "malpractice" accusation?

Its very easy to be seated comfortably in your home, a glass of Hennessy marinating in the corner :tic: and make these claims...

And the example with Yobo and others is badly misplaced. That was a decision based on form..
Last edited by txj on Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

BS!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

In addition to possible medical malpractice.

If you've worked with the players long enough you (the coach had a good number of weeks with them) and your medical team know if a player is "off". This is where saving the player from himself comes in - if there's any suspicion of a player not being able to perform at an optimal level (to be determined), the coaching team (including the medics) have to make a call i.e. stand the player down, put through a fitness test, comes in at a defined point in the game etc etc.

These issues are not things a serious national team should be facing as again the optics look very bad. It not only tarnishes the player but the coaching and the medical team. If I lend you my Rolls Royce and you run it onto the ground (even if the warning lights came on highlighting a possible fault) you'd better not come back to ask for it again because I'd chase you off with my Gucci slippers. :mad: :mad:

Im tired :blink: :veryangry: :oops:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:20 pm
Cellular wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:23 pm
BS!

He wasn't the only one.

As you rightly noted, he wasn't the only one. So does the coach then change everybody?
Its too easy to point at the coach....

The report is that there are about 5 players who played with injury. So does the coach change all of them in order to avoid the "malpractice" accusation?

Its very easy to be seated comfortably in your home, e glass of Hennessy marinating in toe corner :tic: and make these claims...

And the example with Yobo and others is badly misplaced. That was a decision based on form..
Oga, I wasn't the only one who observed it. The opposing coach observed it as well.
It is the nature of players to hide injuries. But you can detect injury or the severity of an injury during the course of a game.

I hope the Technical Department did a post-tournament debrief like you and the crew did on CE.
We have to identify things we did well and areas of improvement.

These opportunities are not guaranteed to repeat itself.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...