Argentina and Nigeria friendly in China cancelled after furious Lionel Messi fallout

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg
Argentina and Nigeria friendly in China cancelled after furious Lionel Messi fallout

Post by iworo »

A fixture between Argentina and Nigeria has been cancelled amid a growing backlash against Lionel Messi’s failure to play in an Inter Miami match in Hong Kong last week.

The organisers of Inter Miami’s friendly against a Hong Kong XI on Sunday, in which Messi failed to appear due to a groin injury, said they would offer refunds of 50 per cent after the Hong Kong government as fans criticised the event.

The refunds will cost magazine and lifestyle brand Tatler Asia $56million Hong Kong Dollars (£5.7million).

Messi’s no-show sparked outrage in Hong Kong with fans booing the 36-year-old and Inter Miami co-owner David Beckham. On Wednesday Messi said in a Weibo post that the situation was “regrettable” and that he hoped to return to Hong Kong. “Friends who know me will know that I want to give my best in every game,” he

But the anger soon spread to mainland China, with state media and Hong Kong legislators suggesting that the incident may have been a politically motivated snub.

And the debacle has now taken another turn as Chinese sporting authorities cancelled next month’s friendly in Hangzhou between Argentina and Nigeria amid the growing backlash.

"As a commercial event, a company and the Argentinean soccer team negotiated that the team would play a friendly match in March this year in the city of Hangzhou," the Hangzhou authorities said in a statement.

Messi remained on the bench for the game in Hong Kong

"In view of the current well-known reasons, according to the competent authorities, conditions to hold the friendly match are not mature, therefore (we) have decided to cancel it."

It was not yet clear if Argentina's other friendly against Ivory Coast in Beijing will also be cancelled.

SPORTbible have contacted the Chinese FA for comment and clarification on the matter.

Meanwhile, Tatler Asia said in a statement on Instagram that it was "deeply sorry" and "heartbroken" that fans were let down after Messi stayed on the bench during Sunday's match.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/foo ... 4-20240206
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina and Nigeria friendly in China cancelled after furious Lionel Messi fallout

Post by danfo driver »

Smh, demonic midget.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Argentina and Nigeria friendly in China cancelled after furious Lionel Messi fallout

Post by Tobi17 »

Messi is such a whining entitled midget

Tufiakwa
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Putting my superstitious hat on, if they cancel Nigeria friendly but not CIVs, what does that foretell about our final match against CIV.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Abeg mek dem carry go! :arrow:

Wha choo looking at?!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

That one, I no care.... Nigeria should simply find another international friendly or have Argentina agree to play the game elsewhere with another sponsor.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Enugu II wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:27 am That one, I no care.... Nigeria should simply find another international friendly or have Argentina agree to play the game elsewhere with another sponsor.
apparently they are trying to find another venue.

Also I dont think the CIV game has been cancelled yet, just our own.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:52 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:27 am That one, I no care.... Nigeria should simply find another international friendly or have Argentina agree to play the game elsewhere with another sponsor

Also I dont think the CIV game has been cancelled yet, just our own
Why then, should they cancel only our own, instead of both?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Odas wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:39 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:27 am That one, I no care.... Nigeria should simply find another international friendly or have Argentina agree to play the game elsewhere with another sponsor

The city in China where we were scheduled to play were the ones to cancel.

CIV play in a different city, and I think different organizers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

vancity eagle wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:45 am
Odas wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:39 am

The city in China where we were scheduled to play were the ones to cancel.

CIV play in a different city, and I think different organizers.
Oh, certainly difference in organizers make a big difference, especially when financial gains are factored in
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

This argument does not make sense, so I refuse to buy it. What has an international friendly got to do with an Inter Miami game? If two FAs have signed a deal, you cannot just wake up and cancel the game because you are unhappy with a player.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:09 pm This argument does not make sense, so I refuse to buy it. What has an international friendly got to do with an Inter Miami game? If two FAs have signed a deal, you cannot just wake up and cancel the game because you are unhappy with a player.
Messi with Inter Miami disappoints them with his no show, then someone made a political assumption and the rest became politics.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:09 pm This argument does not make sense, so I refuse to buy it. What has an international friendly got to do with an Inter Miami game? If two FAs have signed a deal, you cannot just wake up and cancel the game because you are unhappy with a player.
The host of the friendly, which is neither Argentina nor Nigeria, can cancel the engagement if she deems it appropriate. If you don’t like it, go to court🤔🤐❗️

Cheers.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:49 pm
The host of the friendly, which is neither Argentina nor Nigeria, can cancel the engagement if she deems it appropriate. If you don’t like it, go to court🤔🤐❗️

Cheers.

In the real world, you cannot just wake up and walk away from your obligations without dire consequences. If the Argentine and Nigerian FAs have signed a contract with the municipal authorities in Hong Kong to host their game, they cannot just wake up one morning and tear up the agreement because they have a dispute with Lionel Messi.

To annul a contract, you must pay serious compensation. Even in Nigeria, you cannot just do as you please because you are unhappy with someone.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:03 pm

Cheers.

In the real world, you cannot just wake up and walk away from your obligations without dire consequences. If the Argentine and Nigerian FAs have signed a contract with the municipal authorities in Hong Kong to host their game, they cannot just wake up one morning and tear up the agreement because they have a dispute with Lionel Messi.

To annul a contract, you must pay serious compensation. Even in Nigeria, you cannot just do as you please because you are unhappy with someone.
Depends on the terms of the contract. We're not privy to it.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

bushboy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:34 pm

Cheers.

Which is why I refuse to buy the argument that the match can be called off that easily. Argentina’s FA would have insisted on a legally binding contract, which cannot just be torn up at will!
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

The 2 games have been cancelled. Thing is: can NFF rustle up options?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68261461
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Cheers.

Why not if the contract stipulations allow for cancellation within a number of days.

It makes sense for them to cancel if they can cancel NOW, considering that Messi has become bad market.

The question you should be asking is why organize friendlies involving Argentina, Nigeria and CIV in the Far East? How do you draw crowd? Messi. I won't be surprised that his appearance in the friendlies will be one of the fulcrums of the deal.

But his no-show in Hong Kong makes him a huge insurance risk. Cancel the friendlies now and don't risk the kind of situation where the organizers now have to refund 50% of tickets to buyers, probably after paying appearance fees to all concerned. Even Messi may have commanded special fees personally.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Cheers.

You’ve been around to observe how many times our proposed matches at Brentford got canceled, often without any reason being given. How much compensation did the Brentford folks ever pay? No host would ever put itself in a situation where they would have to pay compensation for a friendly they are not taking part in🤔❗️

Cheers.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:30 pm
bushboy wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:34 pm

Cheers.

Which is why I refuse to buy the argument that the match can be called off that easily. Argentina’s FA would have insisted on a legally binding contract, which cannot just be torn up at will!
Oya go to china court and try and collect your money now :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I read that Argentina are trying to rearrange the matches in a new venue
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Apparently Argentina will still play both Nigeria and CIV with possible venues being

Indonesia, Malaysia, India, USA

https://www.pulsesports.ng/football/sto ... 9052350591