Lille 2 Nantes 1 FT (Osimhenx2)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Lille 2 Nantes 1 FT (Osimhenx2)

Post by Damunk »

BAP wrote:
Damunk wrote:
furiously frank wrote:
deanotito wrote:My brothers, I believe we’ve found the one we’ve been looking for.

That first goal was as Yekini-like a goal as I have seen anyone not named Yekini score.
The height, the legs, galloping and the gangling style makes for a tempting desire to compare, but let’s hold on for now
Fingers and toes crossed, he is the heir apparent. A little more muscle and he should be unstoppable :thumb:
How much muscle did Kanu have How much Muscle does Ndidi have ...

Use do think his lack of bulk would be a problem too but he is increasingly proving me wrong
Some people will never put on 'bulk' and my use of the word is really about physical strength. There are those that are wiry thin but phenomenally strong - probably Ndidi is one such person. So don't get hung up on the specific word 'bulk'. Rohr never used the word. I am the one using the word.

But basically, notice that the emphasis seems to be on central strikers - Awoniyi, Sadiq and now Osimhen, all of whom seemed at some point to easily get knocked off the ball.
Kanu definitely grew into a stronger specimen from his young Atlanta '96 days. Egbenike was very strong. Aiyegbeni was actually bulky, just like Yekini and Amokachi - all formidably strong athletes.

So it is not a totally baseless assertion. The last time we had a successful lithe central striker was back in the days of Usiyen. I can't really remember anyone else, but I am willing to be taught.

If Osimhen can develop into a deadly striker and remain as lithe as he is now, good for him. But he will have to be extremely strong to achieve that and as a young man, he has not acquired maximum strength just yet.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

1naija wrote:
theYemster wrote:
1naija wrote:
niyi wrote:Rohr cheated us out of seeing the best Super Eagles possible at the nations cup. And it was deliberate and based on reasons not related to football.

There were 3 strikers ahead of him at the tournament! He did play some minutes and didn't score. Iglalo came in late in our first game and scored! We had Ighalo, Onuachi(sp), and Onyekuru ahead of him. He didn't prove Rohr wrong with these goals. Rohr on the other hand proved he was right with his selection of Ighalo as the top striker with the golden boot. We should commend the boy and wish him continued success, but that should not take away from Rohrs decision.
Rohr was wrong not to play him in the final group match against Madagascar. Nothing you posted above disproves that.
And what's the basis of your conclusion that Rohr was wrong? Gra gra sense? What difference would playing him have made? Would it have stopped the error by Balogun, or the deflection by Ndidi?
We don't know what difference it would've made. That's the point. That was the opportunity to break him out in without much risk. Playing extended minutes in the game might've helped him get over whatever jitters and perhaps this breakout game he just had would've come in the semis against Algeria instead of against Nantes.

Conversely he could've broken out in that dead rubber game against Madagascar and thus changed the trajectory of our path to avoid Algeria until the final.

But either way, we won't ever know now.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

danfo driver wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
danfo driver wrote:By the next SE game, I will bump the thread where I said a coach like Rohr picks his players based on fame. I said Chukwueze was only given a chance because he plays for a visible Villareal. I expect the ram of a coach to play Osimehn and Onyekuru now, once both start scoring in Ligue 1--not as if both all of a sudden became fantastic. They always were. But we have a coach who is a dafty. :oops:
I disagree with you. ROhr said he always advises his players to move to better leagues becos they get the best training, play against the best which makes them improve drastically.

I mean, Omeruo has said this much. He said his game has drastically improved since he moved to the Laliga.

You cant compare Belgium Standard with that of Laliga or EPL. The difference is clear ad the difference in the players game and quality is clearer.
Musa plays in Saudi Arabia, Ighalo and Mikel in China. Did he advise them?
Musa, Ighalo and Mikel are experienced players at the peak or just past the peak of their game. All honed their craft in top leagues.

Oshimen is a rookie who is just starting his career and has much to learn. When he has proven he can play at a high level against top competition, then he can justify his place in the Super Eagles 1st team.

Honesty I cant believe some are even questioning why Rohr didnt play Oshimen ahead of Ighalo, even when Ighalo just won the golden boot, ahead of Salah, Mane, Pepe, Mahrez and others.

Just let the kid develop in peace before you start to crucify him when he inevitably stumbles (which he will at some point, as do all young players).
Last edited by charlie on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

deanotito wrote:My brothers, I believe we’ve found the one we’ve been looking for.

That first goal was as Yekini-like a goal as I have seen anyone not named Yekini score.
For me the goal that convinced me was the u-17 winning goal? vs Mali. If a goal was ever well-taken, that is one example.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...if he's this good (hopefully injury free) why was he not featured at ANC instead na that slow tall forward was paraded?

But make we no make quick conclusion. See Mo Salah flop with Egypt at home but setting fire at club.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

For me the goal that convinced me was the u-17 winning goal? vs Mali. If a goal was ever well-taken, that is one example.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

[/video]
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote:...if he's this good (hopefully injury free) why was he not featured at ANC instead na that slow tall forward was paraded?

But make we no make quick conclusion. See Mo Salah flop with Egypt at home but setting fire at club.
If there is one question I'd like to ask players like Iwobi, Aina, Balogun and Ekong it is whether they see any clear difference playing at AFCON (or on the African continent generally) from playing in Europe.
I think I know what the answer will be....
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
mcal wrote:...if he's this good (hopefully injury free) why was he not featured at ANC instead na that slow tall forward was paraded?

If there is one question I'd like to ask players like Iwobi, Aina, Balogun and Ekong it is whether they see any clear difference playing at AFCON (or on the African continent generally) from playing in Europe.
...great question. Cohesion at national team level is tougher ( for some countries with players far flung) players not together too long.
Playing surface on African continent can be a suspect too.
We have seen many complaints of bumpy fields in Nigeria for example.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

mcal wrote:
Damunk wrote:

...great question. Cohesion at national team level is tougher ( for some countries with players far flung) players not together too long.
Playing surface on African continent can be a suspect too.
We have seen many complaints of bumpy fields in Nigeria for example.
All that aside, I wonder whether there's a noticeable difference playing against fellow African players.
Even at amateur level, playing oyibo teams was a different kettle of fish from playing fellow Africans...
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

This is meant as a compliment. Osimhen reminds me of Jamie Vardy. Both are fast, good finishers, and good at running channels and will chase down long balls all day.