John Ogu's all time SE 11

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
John Ogu's all time SE 11

Post by deanotito »

https://soccernet.ng/2019/08/super-eagl ... hoice.html

Apologies if this has been posted...

Enyeama
Keshi
Okechukwu
Babayaro
Yobo

Oliseh
Mikel
Okocha
Amo

Yekini
Kanu

I must confess I am intrigued by Ogu's selection....especially the midfield. Thinking of a midfield of JJ, The Bull, Oliseh and Mikel makes my mouth water ...I mean, this is a WC winning side.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: John Ogu's all time SE 11

Post by Bigpokey24 »

that is one top line up.., Mikel and Oliseh behind JJ, Kanu, Yekini and AMO..that Defense got some ball playing defenders....
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Bigpokey24 wrote:433,
that is one top line up.., Mikel and Oliseh behind JJ, Kanu, Yekini and AMO..that Defense got some ball playing defenders....
I gotta say...the guy put some thought into this. Didnt fall prey to choosing some usual suspects like Finidi and Amunike....but hard to see who those 2 could really improve upon in this lineup.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Where’s MAK? Dis Ogu of a man is useless. :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

The players he selected better fit the 4-2-2-2 "magic rectangle" associated with Brazil but sometimes used by other teams ... with Okocha and Kanu as the creative two between Mikel and Oliseh behind, and Yekini and Amokachi in front.

Ogu's is an interesting take on an old topic. Truth be told, you can predict someone's age-group by looking at their all-time Eagles 11 list.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

deanotito wrote:
I gotta say...the guy put some thought into this. Didnt fall prey to choosing some usual suspects like Finidi and Amunike....but hard to see who those 2 could really improve upon in this lineup.
It is a system thing. In a different universe, a manager who had all of these players at his disposal could change his approach to each match by changing his starting 11.

PS: Is no one going to question Babayaro's presence on the list? :)
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

The Eagle wrote:
deanotito wrote:
It is a system thing. In a different universe, a manager who had all of these players at his disposal could change his approach to each match by changing his starting 11.

PS: Is no one going to question Babayaro's presence on the list? :)
Babayaro, in his prime, was pretty darn good.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

His bench would be deadly as well.. Finidi , Amunike, Ikpeba, Mutui and Nwanu
SuperEagles

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Bigpokey24 wrote:His bench would be deadly as well.. Finidi , Amunike, Ikpeba, Mutui and Nwanu
Omo, na die! Although this is where I may start to argue with him
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote:Babayaro, in his prime, was pretty darn good.
Good going forward...
On defense, Cele was always BACKING UP! :oops:
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Anyway, this is a post-1990s list...
No Big Sege, no Muda, no Chairman, no... :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Gotti wrote:Anyway, this is a post-1990s list...
Space no dey...every player on that list won Something for the SE and played at the worldcup
SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Those players except Musa would not have even been invited to camp in modern football. The list is on point. And we know who the captain of Ogu's team would have been.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Good squad on paper, but don't like the squad because he doesn't have any real wingers which could give his team some width. Finidi and Amunike would make the squad so much better.
deanotito wrote:https://soccernet.ng/2019/08/super-eagl ... hoice.html

Apologies if this has been posted...

Enyeama
Keshi
Okechukwu
Babayaro
Yobo

Oliseh
Mikel
Okocha
Amo

Yekini
Kanu

I must confess I am intrigued by Ogu's selection....especially the midfield. Thinking of a midfield of JJ, The Bull, Oliseh and Mikel makes my mouth water ...I mean, this is a WC winning side.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
Good going forward...
>
KPOM. Annoyingly, to state the least.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

olu wrote:Good squad on paper, but don't like the squad because he doesn't have any real wingers which could give his team some width. Finidi and Amunike would make the squad so much better.
In a version of 4-2-2-2, the "wing play" comes from the fullbacks (think Cafu and Roberto Carlos), and to a degree from the second striker and attacking midfielders receiving and playing the ball from wide positions.

Babayaro, in his youngest incarnation, was essentially a winger ... and if memory serves, the youngest version of Yobo (the right-back version) overlapped, providing width on the right side for the Eagles. Okocha and Amokachi could attack from wide positions, though not in the way of traditional "wingers". I am not sure about Kanu ... he could do things from there (thinking of one of his goals against Chelsea), but I don't somehow see him "providing width" in its true meaning. :)

It is an interesting list, and an interesting thought experiment, but I am not sure it would work well in practice, especially defensively.

PS: As for my Port Harcourt neighbour's post .... the captain would likely be Keshi (RIP). Ogu's list is heavy with former captains. As near as I can recall, only Babayaro and Yekini (RIP) were not captains .... though surely I am wrong about Yekini? He had to have been captain at some point? :???:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

The Eagle wrote:
olu wrote:Good squad on paper, but don't like the squad because he doesn't have any real wingers which could give his team some width. Finidi and Amunike would make the squad so much better.
In a version of 4-2-2-2, the "wing play" comes from the fullbacks (think Cafu and Roberto Carlos), and to a degree from the second striker and attacking midfielders receiving and playing the ball from wide positions.

Babayaro, in his youngest incarnation, was essentially a winger ... and if memory serves, the youngest version of Yobo (the right-back version) overlapped, providing width on the right side for the Eagles. Okocha and Amokachi could attack from wide positions, though not in the way of traditional "wingers". I am not sure about Kanu ... he could do things from there (thinking of one of his goals against Chelsea), but I don't somehow see him "providing width" in its true meaning. :)

It is an interesting list, and an interesting thought experiment, but I am not sure it would work well in practice, especially defensively.

PS: As for my Port Harcourt neighbour's post .... the captain would likely be Keshi (RIP). Ogu's list is heavy with former captains. As near as I can recall, only Babayaro and Yekini (RIP) were not captains .... though surely I am wrong about Yekini? He had to have been captain at some point? :???:
Naah bro. One place this team would certifiably NOT struggle is defensively. I would say the most experimental part of this team is the Kanu-Yekini combo. I am honestly not sure that would work, but it remains intriguing nonetheless
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu II wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Good going forward...
>
KPOM. Annoyingly, to state the least.

I dunno if it was as bad as you guys recall. There was one glaring time he did it (can’t remember the game) and it seemed to me that his reputation never recovered from that...at least in the eyes of the fans. All things considered, I think he was a pretty good player, though I would admit, he’s one of the few players on that list I wouldn’t go to war about if he were replaced.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Babayaro good offensively but always backing up. I remember his backing up cost Chelsea vs Barcelona (Luis figo) and Argentina vs Nigeria 2002 (ortega
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I think you guys are judging Babayaro after he started partying. When he was on top of his game, he was one of the best in the world!!! But when he started slipping Udeze went in and grabbed his spot in the SE. Then Taye Taiwo came in and straight up jacked the left back from Udeze. That's why I have ZERO sympathy for players like Onyekuru, Osinhem, Uzoho, kelechi etc, who want multiple chances to nail down a spot in the SE. My types of players are Yobo, Ndidi, Mikel, Taiwo, Udeze,
and recently Etebo. You have to grab every opportunity you have with both hands.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Babayaro was good. He was a improvement as per Ben Iroha and Mike Emenalo.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

1naija wrote:I think you guys are judging Babayaro after he started partying. When he was on top of his game, he was one of the best in the world!!! But when he started slipping Udeze went in and grabbed his spot in the SE. Then Taye Taiwo came in and straight up jacked the left back from Udeze. That's why I have ZERO sympathy for players like Onyekuru, Osinhem, Uzoho, kelechi etc, who want multiple chances to nail down a spot in the SE. My types of players are Yobo, Ndidi, Mikel, Taiwo, Udeze,
and recently Etebo. You have to grab every opportunity you have with both hands.
Your post is on point, except for your Yobo fetish :taunt:
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

We can conclude from the line-up that Ogu is not in his 40s/50s.
http://www.naijiant.com/