Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:43 pm
Posts: 2130
Location: US
Eze the former CHAN best defender is playing regular europa football for 90min in games.
Is he not much better than all these people Rohr is running around for?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17542
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
I understand that it feels bad to see Nigeria as second fiddle. However, it is what it is. The truth is that Nigeria, at this time, does not have the leverage to insist on a position comparable to its competitors (England, Germany, for e.g.). Think of this: If we replaced Nigeria with Brazil. It will be a huge difference because Brazil has built the brand not to be considered as second fiddle to any other country.

Nigeria can surely work towards that brand but right now we are not at that point. We have not achieved much to convince these boys that a Nigerian choice should be better than "second fiddle." First, for Agu, if he ever makes the German team he has a far better opportunity of winning laurels than playing for the SE. Moreover, he will be in familiar environment with lifelong friends. Now, if he is not able to make the German team then of course his fall back will be Nigeria because it will guarantee him an international place in a senior team. After all, Nigeria is offering SE position to all and sundry as long as they have played for an academy overseas. Nigeria is INDEED offering them a place to play internationally but little probability of winning it big. This is REALITY as of today. The truth hurts but do not ever think that these boys are dumb.

If it was Brazil that Agu has to choose then it is going to be a much tougher decision. But that is not the case here.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:29 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 82115
Location: Earth
oloye wrote:
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
I really wish Nigeria would leave guys like these alone. They should be given a simple choice...when someone commits to you and then decommits and joins the German U21 side, that should be it. He shouldn't be considered ever again.

Going back to them after something like this weakens you psychologically, and makes your team feel inferior. Is Felix Agu really going to change life in the eagles? Probably not...so why?
Maybe for you the fan, but for their professional teammates, it don't mean shytt.
Its part f the game. Soldier come, soldier go. It is central to professional football life.
You accept wholeheartedly what's yours; you let go of he who goes elsewhere.
They fully understand that.
You and I don't quite get it. We are driven by ego.
Footballer na ashawo, no disrespect to them.

No sire I side with Dean on this one. While no one begrudge their decision to play for Germany, the truth remains we should also be clear on this that we would not play second fiddle. Good luck to them.

I mean this one already agreed to play for us and was even penned down for friendly, only to drop us for German's u21, what an insult.

when i talk say damunk no be am , una go think say i dey find trouble this is a perfect response from a ****bot

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13116
I think you guys are missing the point.

No one is saying that we are the sexiest nation in the world. No one is saying that we have the leverage to compete with anybody.

All we are saying is that even in our ugliness, we should have the pride of a Benin man and demand to be first choice or nothing! We will not die if we stop accepting to be second choice.

Afterall, because a woman is perceived as ugly does not mean that she should accept to be the second choice of a man whose fiance rejected him.

Enugu II wrote:
I understand that it feels bad to see Nigeria as second fiddle. However, it is what it is. The truth is that Nigeria, at this time, does not have the leverage to insist on a position comparable to its competitors (England, Germany, for e.g.). Think of this: If we replaced Nigeria with Brazil. It will be a huge difference because Brazil has built the brand not to be considered as second fiddle to any other country.

Nigeria can surely work towards that brand but right now we are not at that point. We have not achieved much to convince these boys that a Nigerian choice should be better than "second fiddle." First, for Agu, if he ever makes the German team he has a far better opportunity of winning laurels than playing for the SE. Moreover, he will be in familiar environment with lifelong friends. Now, if he is not able to make the German team then of course his fall back will be Nigeria because it will guarantee him an international place in a senior team. After all, Nigeria is offering SE position to all and sundry as long as they have played for an academy overseas. Nigeria is INDEED offering them a place to play internationally but little probability of winning it big. This is REALITY as of today. The truth hurts but do not ever think that these boys are dumb.

If it was Brazil that Agu has to choose then it is going to be a much tougher decision. But that is not the case here.

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:39 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 82115
Location: Earth
danfo driver wrote:
I think you guys are missing the point.

No one is saying that we are the sexiest nation in the world. No one is saying that we have the leverage to compete with anybody.

All we are saying is that even in our ugliness, we should have the pride of a Benin man and demand to be first choice or nothing! We will not die if we stop accepting to be second choice.

Afterall, because a woman is perceived as ugly does not mean that she should accept to be the second choice of a man whose fiance rejected him.

Enugu II wrote:
I understand that it feels bad to see Nigeria as second fiddle. However, it is what it is. The truth is that Nigeria, at this time, does not have the leverage to insist on a position comparable to its competitors (England, Germany, for e.g.). Think of this: If we replaced Nigeria with Brazil. It will be a huge difference because Brazil has built the brand not to be considered as second fiddle to any other country.

Nigeria can surely work towards that brand but right now we are not at that point. We have not achieved much to convince these boys that a Nigerian choice should be better than "second fiddle." First, for Agu, if he ever makes the German team he has a far better opportunity of winning laurels than playing for the SE. Moreover, he will be in familiar environment with lifelong friends. Now, if he is not able to make the German team then of course his fall back will be Nigeria because it will guarantee him an international place in a senior team. After all, Nigeria is offering SE position to all and sundry as long as they have played for an academy overseas. Nigeria is INDEED offering them a place to play internationally but little probability of winning it big. This is REALITY as of today. The truth hurts but do not ever think that these boys are dumb.

If it was Brazil that Agu has to choose then it is going to be a much tougher decision. But that is not the case here.

this is the mentality **** has instilled on some Nigerians like damunk, accepting the term learning as well as 2nd best, etc..we saw this in Russia and Egypt

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17542
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
danfo driver,

Good point and I understand that view. What, however, I point to is that the fact a player chooses another team instead of us should never mean that we close the chapter on such players considering the circumstances that I have alluded to. Instead, if that player is likely to add value to SE then we can always call him. Further, it may also make us really think about other players for whom Nigeria is ALWAYS #1 choice. There are many such players and several of them are good. They are playing in the NPFL as well as all over the world. Our scouts and coaches should never restrict the scope of their search.

dance driver wrote:
I think you guys are missing the point.

No one is saying that we are the sexiest nation in the world. No one is saying that we have the leverage to compete with anybody.

All we are saying is that even in our ugliness, we should have the pride of a Benin man and demand to be first choice or nothing! We will not die if we stop accepting to be second choice.

Afterall, because a woman is perceived as ugly does not mean that she should accept to be the second choice of a man whose fiance rejected him.

Enugu II wrote:
I understand that it feels bad to see Nigeria as second fiddle. However, it is what it is. The truth is that Nigeria, at this time, does not have the leverage to insist on a position comparable to its competitors (England, Germany, for e.g.). Think of this: If we replaced Nigeria with Brazil. It will be a huge difference because Brazil has built the brand not to be considered as second fiddle to any other country.

Nigeria can surely work towards that brand but right now we are not at that point. We have not achieved much to convince these boys that a Nigerian choice should be better than "second fiddle." First, for Agu, if he ever makes the German team he has a far better opportunity of winning laurels than playing for the SE. Moreover, he will be in familiar environment with lifelong friends. Now, if he is not able to make the German team then of course his fall back will be Nigeria because it will guarantee him an international place in a senior team. After all, Nigeria is offering SE position to all and sundry as long as they have played for an academy overseas. Nigeria is INDEED offering them a place to play internationally but little probability of winning it big. This is REALITY as of today. The truth hurts but do not ever think that these boys are dumb.

If it was Brazil that Agu has to choose then it is going to be a much tougher decision. But that is not the case here.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:34 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 39971
Location: UK
Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
I think you guys are missing the point.

No one is saying that we are the sexiest nation in the world. No one is saying that we have the leverage to compete with anybody.

All we are saying is that even in our ugliness, we should have the pride of a Benin man and demand to be first choice or nothing! We will not die if we stop accepting to be second choice.

Afterall, because a woman is perceived as ugly does not mean that she should accept to be the second choice of a man whose fiance rejected him.

Enugu II wrote:
I understand that it feels bad to see Nigeria as second fiddle. However, it is what it is. The truth is that Nigeria, at this time, does not have the leverage to insist on a position comparable to its competitors (England, Germany, for e.g.). Think of this: If we replaced Nigeria with Brazil. It will be a huge difference because Brazil has built the brand not to be considered as second fiddle to any other country.

Nigeria can surely work towards that brand but right now we are not at that point. We have not achieved much to convince these boys that a Nigerian choice should be better than "second fiddle." First, for Agu, if he ever makes the German team he has a far better opportunity of winning laurels than playing for the SE. Moreover, he will be in familiar environment with lifelong friends. Now, if he is not able to make the German team then of course his fall back will be Nigeria because it will guarantee him an international place in a senior team. After all, Nigeria is offering SE position to all and sundry as long as they have played for an academy overseas. Nigeria is INDEED offering them a place to play internationally but little probability of winning it big. This is REALITY as of today. The truth hurts but do not ever think that these boys are dumb.

If it was Brazil that Agu has to choose then it is going to be a much tougher decision. But that is not the case here.

this is the mentality **** has instilled on some Nigerians like damunk, accepting the term learning as well as 2nd best, etc..we saw this in Russia and Egypt
How many times have you mentioned my name today?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
This your fixation na wa o.
Calm down.
We know what you want but you aint getting it.
Stick to pork and your imaginary shewens.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:49 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20032
Location: Canada
Very funny, dunno why this topic has to be discussed over and over again. Those having issues with the player fail to realize playing for Nigeria is his birthright and the SE by design should choose the best players available to represent the country. Being rejected by Germany is not a curse as most of our players can't start for Germany. Who are the 'We' that decide whether or not we're 2nd choice?? Do those 'We' include nigerians of which these players are amongst them. If you want to implement a discriminatory policy of overlooking nigerians for the SE because they tried to play for Germany, go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face with your misplaced ego. We are not dealing with a German here but a Nigerian, that's why we approached him in the first place. The best Nigerian footballers have a birthright and human right to play for the SE and it will ever remain that way. It's not like these players ever invite themselves or can force themselves on the team.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20032
Location: Canada
deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
I really wish Nigeria would leave guys like these alone. They should be given a simple choice...when someone commits to you and then decommits and joins the German U21 side, that should be it. He shouldn't be considered ever again.

Going back to them after something like this weakens you psychologically, and makes your team feel inferior. Is Felix Agu really going to change life in the eagles? Probably not...so why?
Maybe for you the fan, but for their professional teammates, it don't mean shytt.
Its part f the game. Soldier come, soldier go. It is central to professional football life.
You accept wholeheartedly what's yours; you let go of he who goes elsewhere.
They fully understand that.
You and I don't quite get it. We are driven by ego.
Footballer na ashawo, no disrespect to them.


I disagree. Completely and Totally. You can’t fill your team with German rejects and expect to have a psychological edge over Germany/like countries.

I wonder what psychological edge Liverpool have over Chelsea with Salah. You guys make shocking statements sometimes. This is football where players can be late bloomers. Imagine if Austria had thrown Alaba away when he was still travelling to camp in Nigeria. It is outright discriminatory to decide to banish a Nigerian from representing his national team. That won't even hold in a human right court. Such misplaced ego is what makes this world a worse place and leads to wars. It is how people become disenfranchised by smartys in power thinking they're doing the right thing. Have you had any thought that you may be denying a nigerian his right?

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13116
felarey wrote:
Very funny, dunno why this topic has to be discussed over and over again. Those having issues with the player fail to realize playing for Nigeria is his birthright and the SE by design should choose the best players available to represent the country. Being rejected by Germany is not a curse as most of our players can't start for Germany. Who are the 'We' that decide whether or not we're 2nd choice?? Do those 'We' include nigerians of which these players are amongst them. If you want to implement a discriminatory police of overlooking nigerians for the SE because they tried to play for Germany, go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face with your misplaced ego. We are not dealing with a German here but a Nigerian, that's why we approached him in the first place. The best Nigerian footballers have a birthright and human right to play for the SE and it will ever remain that way. It's not like these players ever invite themselves or can force themselves on the team.


People say this misconception all the time. Actually, ts not. It is a privilege.

Same thing as when people think freedom is a right. its not, its a privilege.

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:37 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20032
Location: Canada
danfo driver wrote:
felarey wrote:
Very funny, dunno why this topic has to be discussed over and over again. Those having issues with the player fail to realize playing for Nigeria is his birthright and the SE by design should choose the best players available to represent the country. Being rejected by Germany is not a curse as most of our players can't start for Germany. Who are the 'We' that decide whether or not we're 2nd choice?? Do those 'We' include nigerians of which these players are amongst them. If you want to implement a discriminatory police of overlooking nigerians for the SE because they tried to play for Germany, go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face with your misplaced ego. We are not dealing with a German here but a Nigerian, that's why we approached him in the first place. The best Nigerian footballers have a birthright and human right to play for the SE and it will ever remain that way. It's not like these players ever invite themselves or can force themselves on the team.


People say this misconception all the time. Actually, ts not. It is a privilege.

Same thing as when people think freedom is a right. its not, its a privilege.

Ofcourse the right is by virtue of eligibility. It does not mean we can all suit up and play for the team.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 2900
The moment SE called Ameobi for 2014 WC and we had people defending that selection was the moment I realized that SE fans are DELUSIONAL. For example, even If Tammy snubs us 100 times and finally accept us then score a hattrick, his stubbornness would be immediately forgotten.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:57 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 9507
Location: loughborough.
Enugu II wrote:
I understand that it feels bad to see Nigeria as second fiddle. However, it is what it is. The truth is that Nigeria, at this time, does not have the leverage to insist on a position comparable to its competitors (England, Germany, for e.g.). Think of this: If we replaced Nigeria with Brazil. It will be a huge difference because Brazil has built the brand not to be considered as second fiddle to any other country.

Nigeria can surely work towards that brand but right now we are not at that point. We have not achieved much to convince these boys that a Nigerian choice should be better than "second fiddle." First, for Agu, if he ever makes the German team he has a far better opportunity of winning laurels than playing for the SE. Moreover, he will be in familiar environment with lifelong friends. Now, if he is not able to make the German team then of course his fall back will be Nigeria because it will guarantee him an international place in a senior team. After all, Nigeria is offering SE position to all and sundry as long as they have played for an academy overseas. Nigeria is INDEED offering them a place to play internationally but little probability of winning it big. This is REALITY as of today. The truth hurts but do not ever think that these boys are dumb.

If it was Brazil that Agu has to choose then it is going to be a much tougher decision. But that is not the case here.

This is a nice spin on the failed flagship policy of Pinnick. Lest we forget, all leverage was lost when Pinnick become NFF chairman.

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:59 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 9507
Location: loughborough.
john12 wrote:
The moment SE called Ameobi for 2014 WC and we had people defending that selection was the moment I realized that SE fans are DELUSIONAL. For example, even If Tammy snubs us 100 times and finally accept us then score a hattrick, his stubbornness would be immediately forgotten.

This is from a DELUSIONAL poster, with DELUSIONAL post and DELUSIONAL mentality.

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 4941
Location: London
I have no qualms if a player decides to pledge their allegiance to another nation, fair enough. Whilst I don't agree that the chapter should be closed such players if they do decide to play for Nigeria in the future, in no way should Nigeria put themselves out there to try and "convince" these players again. They have to openly declare themselves available for selection. The idea of going back to convince someone who has rejected you previously is frankly embarrassing, particularly in the context of International football where it is a privilege to where the green jersey.

_________________
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 14038
danfo driver wrote:
felarey wrote:
Very funny, dunno why this topic has to be discussed over and over again. Those having issues with the player fail to realize playing for Nigeria is his birthright and the SE by design should choose the best players available to represent the country. Being rejected by Germany is not a curse as most of our players can't start for Germany. Who are the 'We' that decide whether or not we're 2nd choice?? Do those 'We' include nigerians of which these players are amongst them. If you want to implement a discriminatory police of overlooking nigerians for the SE because they tried to play for Germany, go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face with your misplaced ego. We are not dealing with a German here but a Nigerian, that's why we approached him in the first place. The best Nigerian footballers have a birthright and human right to play for the SE and it will ever remain that way. It's not like these players ever invite themselves or can force themselves on the team.


People say this misconception all the time. Actually, ts not. It is a privilege.

Same thing as when people think freedom is a right. its not, its a privilege.


Pardon me for a second Mr Keke conductor, how is freedom a privilege? I thought rights are freedoms afforded to all member of a society and not just a chosen few.

_________________
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."

You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Posts: 13116
Cito wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
felarey wrote:
Very funny, dunno why this topic has to be discussed over and over again. Those having issues with the player fail to realize playing for Nigeria is his birthright and the SE by design should choose the best players available to represent the country. Being rejected by Germany is not a curse as most of our players can't start for Germany. Who are the 'We' that decide whether or not we're 2nd choice?? Do those 'We' include nigerians of which these players are amongst them. If you want to implement a discriminatory police of overlooking nigerians for the SE because they tried to play for Germany, go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face with your misplaced ego. We are not dealing with a German here but a Nigerian, that's why we approached him in the first place. The best Nigerian footballers have a birthright and human right to play for the SE and it will ever remain that way. It's not like these players ever invite themselves or can force themselves on the team.


People say this misconception all the time. Actually, ts not. It is a privilege.

Same thing as when people think freedom is a right. its not, its a privilege.


Pardon me for a second Mr Keke conductor, how is freedom a privilege? I thought rights are freedoms afforded to all member of a society and not just a chosen few.


You are pardoned, Sir.

1. Go out and commit a crime and when you are arrested and sentenced, please come back and let us know whether Freedom is a right.

2. During a coup or uprising, after the government has instituted a curfew, please come back and let us know whether freedom is a right.

3. I dont know what country you are presently located, but why dont you get on a plane and head to any country in the world and just walk in, without being inspected at the border. Once you have done that, please, let us know how freedom is a right.

_________________
metalalloy wrote:
Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 pm
Posts: 14038
danfo driver wrote:
Cito wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
felarey wrote:
Very funny, dunno why this topic has to be discussed over and over again. Those having issues with the player fail to realize playing for Nigeria is his birthright and the SE by design should choose the best players available to represent the country. Being rejected by Germany is not a curse as most of our players can't start for Germany. Who are the 'We' that decide whether or not we're 2nd choice?? Do those 'We' include nigerians of which these players are amongst them. If you want to implement a discriminatory police of overlooking nigerians for the SE because they tried to play for Germany, go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face with your misplaced ego. We are not dealing with a German here but a Nigerian, that's why we approached him in the first place. The best Nigerian footballers have a birthright and human right to play for the SE and it will ever remain that way. It's not like these players ever invite themselves or can force themselves on the team.


People say this misconception all the time. Actually, ts not. It is a privilege.

Same thing as when people think freedom is a right. its not, its a privilege.


Pardon me for a second Mr Keke conductor, how is freedom a privilege? I thought rights are freedoms afforded to all member of a society and not just a chosen few.


You are pardoned, Sir.

1. Go out and commit a crime and when you are arrested and sentenced, please come back and let us know whether Freedom is a right.

2. During a coup or uprising, after the government has instituted a curfew, please come back and let us know whether freedom is a right.

3. I dont know what country you are presently located, but why dont you get on a plane and head to any country in the world and just walk in, without being inspected at the border. Once you have done that, please, let us know how freedom is a right.


Are those the norm or just abnormal circumstances you are using to buttress your point? And to your 3rd point, my last line specifically pointed out the boundary of my supposition...’members’.

_________________
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."

You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:19 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20032
Location: Canada
Zelex wrote:
I have no qualms if a player decides to pledge their allegiance to another nation, fair enough. Whilst I don't agree that the chapter should be closed such players if they do decide to play for Nigeria in the future, in no way should Nigeria put themselves out there to try and "convince" these players again. They have to openly declare themselves available for selection. The idea of going back to convince someone who has rejected you previously is frankly embarrassing, particularly in the context of International football where it is a privilege to where the green jersey.

Embarrassing to who specifically? Who are the whos or nigerians that decide what is embarassing and what is not for the rest of us? Fellow Nigerians? A free citizen makes a decision regarding his country, you don't like so want to sanction it and advocate such as policy. How callous? It would be foolish to not approach a player eligible and good enough for the SE at any time. Especially if it's because he chose to exercise his free will at some point. The privilege of wearing the shirt doesn't come with any assurances regarding personal aspirations that people care about such as career, family, money etc and we want to keep it that way. It's benefit is mostly in the emotional, qualitative intangibles and a stamp of call ups and appearances.

I'm currently seeing firsthand what often happens with these kids. I know a naija kid and his family heading to Brazil in Oct for the U17 WC. He's in the Canadian squad. The boy was wanted in the Nigeria U17 camp but the logistics of his dad having to travel and stay with him (only 16 yrs) while in camp plus footing all the bills eventually led to opting for Canada with coaches blowing up his phone. This kid has been seeing all sorts of specialists since he was 12 on several injuries. He's had to do lots of work in specialized gyms with the attendant trainers and lots of encouragement. His father is a doctor and has used his connections extensively to get him care making up the difference with his academy in England. Guess which govt(s) was paying or subsidizing all these activities?? When his parents don't, someone else is picking up the tab in the system. When they can't drive him to practice, it's the neighbors or friends that have picked up the slack.

The school and teachers are involved, a pride often showed as one of their own and a credit to their sports program. His entire street is involved and we the family friends are also dropping words of encouragement every moment we can get. There's an entourage gathering and planning to follow him to Brazil as we speak. Now, imagine this 16 yr old kid is fortunate to make it to a standard where he's good enough, decides to play for Canada or England where he also has eligibility and somewhere on CE someone is feeling slighted because he didn't just jump at the privilege of wearing the GWG.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 4941
Location: London
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
I have no qualms if a player decides to pledge their allegiance to another nation, fair enough. Whilst I don't agree that the chapter should be closed such players if they do decide to play for Nigeria in the future, in no way should Nigeria put themselves out there to try and "convince" these players again. They have to openly declare themselves available for selection. The idea of going back to convince someone who has rejected you previously is frankly embarrassing, particularly in the context of International football where it is a privilege to where the green jersey.

Embarrassing to who specifically? Who are the whos or nigerians that decide what is embarassing and what is not for the rest of us? Fellow Nigerians? A free citizen makes a decision regarding his country, you don't like so want to sanction it and advocate such as policy. How callous? It would be foolish to not approach a player eligible and good enough for the SE at any time. Especially if it's because he chose to exercise his free will at some point. The privilege of wearing the shirt doesn't come with any assurances regarding personal aspirations that people care about such as career, family, money etc and we want to keep it that way. It's benefit is mostly in the emotional, qualitative intangibles and a stamp of call ups and appearances.

I'm currently seeing firsthand what often happens with these kids. I know a naija kid and his family heading to Brazil in Oct for the U17 WC. He's in the Canadian squad. The boy was wanted in the Nigeria U17 camp but the logistics of his dad having to travel and stay with him (only 16 yrs) while in camp plus footing all the bills eventually led to opting for Canada with coaches blowing up his phone. This kid has been seeing all sorts of specialists since he was 12 on several injuries. He's had to do lots of work in specialized gyms with the attendant trainers and lots of encouragement. His father is a doctor and has used his connections extensively to get him care making up the difference with his academy in England. Guess which govt(s) was paying or subsidizing all these activities?? When his parents don't, someone else is picking up the tab in the system. When they can't drive him to practice, it's the neighbors or friends that have picked up the slack.
.
The school and teachers are involved, a pride often showed as one of their own and a credit to their sports program. His entire street is involved and we the family friends are also dropping words of encouragement every moment we can get. There's an entourage gathering and planning to follow him to Brazil as we speak. Now, imagine this 16 yr old kid is fortunate to make it to a standard where he's good enough, decides to play for Canada or England where he also has eligibility and somewhere on CE someone is feeling slighted because he didn't just jump at the privilege of wearing the GWG.


Don't really see how your point relates to mine. As I've said, I have no qualms with whatever decision an individual makes. I genuinely could care less. My thing is that once you have rejected Nigeria. Nigeria shouldn't chase after you or try and "convince" you. It's up to you to declare yourself available so for national selection if you change your mind. I think this is entirely fair (maybe you misread my post?).

Funny thing is that as someone who was born and raised outside Nigeria, I think would probably understand better than yourself where the mindset of these kids and how these things work. I've never implied (or at least I didn't feel I did) that I don't empathize with their situation but just like how they have decided to pursue the path they feel is best for them. Nigeria also has to do the same and I just don't buy the idea of spending more resources (time) on players that have once rejected Nigeria previously. The onus should be on them to reach out if they want to represent the country IMO.

_________________
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20032
Location: Canada
Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
I have no qualms if a player decides to pledge their allegiance to another nation, fair enough. Whilst I don't agree that the chapter should be closed such players if they do decide to play for Nigeria in the future, in no way should Nigeria put themselves out there to try and "convince" these players again. They have to openly declare themselves available for selection. The idea of going back to convince someone who has rejected you previously is frankly embarrassing, particularly in the context of International football where it is a privilege to where the green jersey.

Embarrassing to who specifically? Who are the whos or nigerians that decide what is embarassing and what is not for the rest of us? Fellow Nigerians? A free citizen makes a decision regarding his country, you don't like so want to sanction it and advocate such as policy. How callous? It would be foolish to not approach a player eligible and good enough for the SE at any time. Especially if it's because he chose to exercise his free will at some point. The privilege of wearing the shirt doesn't come with any assurances regarding personal aspirations that people care about such as career, family, money etc and we want to keep it that way. It's benefit is mostly in the emotional, qualitative intangibles and a stamp of call ups and appearances.

I'm currently seeing firsthand what often happens with these kids. I know a naija kid and his family heading to Brazil in Oct for the U17 WC. He's in the Canadian squad. The boy was wanted in the Nigeria U17 camp but the logistics of his dad having to travel and stay with him (only 16 yrs) while in camp plus footing all the bills eventually led to opting for Canada with coaches blowing up his phone. This kid has been seeing all sorts of specialists since he was 12 on several injuries. He's had to do lots of work in specialized gyms with the attendant trainers and lots of encouragement. His father is a doctor and has used his connections extensively to get him care making up the difference with his academy in England. Guess which govt(s) was paying or subsidizing all these activities?? When his parents don't, someone else is picking up the tab in the system. When they can't drive him to practice, it's the neighbors or friends that have picked up the slack.
.
The school and teachers are involved, a pride often showed as one of their own and a credit to their sports program. His entire street is involved and we the family friends are also dropping words of encouragement every moment we can get. There's an entourage gathering and planning to follow him to Brazil as we speak. Now, imagine this 16 yr old kid is fortunate to make it to a standard where he's good enough, decides to play for Canada or England where he also has eligibility and somewhere on CE someone is feeling slighted because he didn't just jump at the privilege of wearing the GWG.


Don't really see how your point relates to mine. As I've said, I have no qualms with whatever decision an individual makes. I genuinely could care less. My thing is that once you have rejected Nigeria. Nigeria shouldn't chase after you or try and "convince" you. It's up to you to declare yourself available so for national selection if you change your mind. I think this is entirely fair (maybe you misread my post?).

Funny thing is that as someone who was born and raised outside Nigeria, I think would probably understand better than yourself where the mindset of these kids and how these things work. I've never implied (or at least I didn't feel I did) that I don't empathize with their situation but just like how they have decided to pursue the path they feel is best for them. Nigeria also has to do the same and I just don't buy the idea of spending more resources (time) on players that have once rejected Nigeria previously. The onus should be on them to reach out if they want to represent the country IMO.

Ok but I will say it again....it would be extremely foolish for Nigeria not to actively approach a player that is good enough and eligible at any time. That is a self deprecating move especially if it's because the player played youth football with his other country. All the big teams do it, examples exist for Brazil, Italy, so why not Nigeria? Moses would have started for England last year if he was eligible. Imagine if we had turned away when he was in the England youth setup and stayed waiting for him till he declared his desire to play for Nigeria. Pursuing players is a progressive move. Siasia pursued Moses and two years later he was key to winning the AFCON. My issue with your post is the enduring perception of slight or embarassment when a player doesn't chose to play for one of his countries. Playing for another country doesn't make these players any less Nigerians and there's no good reason to create any special cases. Today it's a no, tomorrow it's a yes, nothing wrong with that. For them it's more than just the privilege of international football, it's also a career decision.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:32 pm
Posts: 30894
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
I have no qualms if a player decides to pledge their allegiance to another nation, fair enough. Whilst I don't agree that the chapter should be closed such players if they do decide to play for Nigeria in the future, in no way should Nigeria put themselves out there to try and "convince" these players again. They have to openly declare themselves available for selection. The idea of going back to convince someone who has rejected you previously is frankly embarrassing, particularly in the context of International football where it is a privilege to where the green jersey.

Embarrassing to who specifically? Who are the whos or nigerians that decide what is embarassing and what is not for the rest of us? Fellow Nigerians? A free citizen makes a decision regarding his country, you don't like so want to sanction it and advocate such as policy. How callous? It would be foolish to not approach a player eligible and good enough for the SE at any time. Especially if it's because he chose to exercise his free will at some point. The privilege of wearing the shirt doesn't come with any assurances regarding personal aspirations that people care about such as career, family, money etc and we want to keep it that way. It's benefit is mostly in the emotional, qualitative intangibles and a stamp of call ups and appearances.

I'm currently seeing firsthand what often happens with these kids. I know a naija kid and his family heading to Brazil in Oct for the U17 WC. He's in the Canadian squad. The boy was wanted in the Nigeria U17 camp but the logistics of his dad having to travel and stay with him (only 16 yrs) while in camp plus footing all the bills eventually led to opting for Canada with coaches blowing up his phone. This kid has been seeing all sorts of specialists since he was 12 on several injuries. He's had to do lots of work in specialized gyms with the attendant trainers and lots of encouragement. His father is a doctor and has used his connections extensively to get him care making up the difference with his academy in England. Guess which govt(s) was paying or subsidizing all these activities?? When his parents don't, someone else is picking up the tab in the system. When they can't drive him to practice, it's the neighbors or friends that have picked up the slack.
.
The school and teachers are involved, a pride often showed as one of their own and a credit to their sports program. His entire street is involved and we the family friends are also dropping words of encouragement every moment we can get. There's an entourage gathering and planning to follow him to Brazil as we speak. Now, imagine this 16 yr old kid is fortunate to make it to a standard where he's good enough, decides to play for Canada or England where he also has eligibility and somewhere on CE someone is feeling slighted because he didn't just jump at the privilege of wearing the GWG.


Don't really see how your point relates to mine. As I've said, I have no qualms with whatever decision an individual makes. I genuinely could care less. My thing is that once you have rejected Nigeria. Nigeria shouldn't chase after you or try and "convince" you. It's up to you to declare yourself available so for national selection if you change your mind. I think this is entirely fair (maybe you misread my post?).

Funny thing is that as someone who was born and raised outside Nigeria, I think would probably understand better than yourself where the mindset of these kids and how these things work. I've never implied (or at least I didn't feel I did) that I don't empathize with their situation but just like how they have decided to pursue the path they feel is best for them. Nigeria also has to do the same and I just don't buy the idea of spending more resources (time) on players that have once rejected Nigeria previously. The onus should be on them to reach out if they want to represent the country IMO.

Ok but I will say it again....it would be extremely foolish for Nigeria not to actively approach a player that is good enough and eligible at any time. That is a self deprecating move especially if it's because the player played youth football with his other country. All the big teams do it, examples exist for Brazil, Italy, so why not Nigeria? Moses would have started for England last year if he was eligible. Imagine if we had turned away when he was in the England youth setup and stayed waiting for him till he declared his desire to play for Nigeria. Pursuing players is a progressive move. Siasia pursued Moses and two years later he was key to winning the AFCON. My issue with your post is the enduring perception of slight or embarassment when a player doesn't chose to play for one of his countries. Playing for another country doesn't make these players any less Nigerians and there's no good reason to create any special cases. Today it's a no, tomorrow it's a yes, nothing wrong with that. For them it's more than just the privilege of international football, it's also a career decision.

Abegi, leave the sentimental mugus alone. Make dem take pride in their disorganization now.
Get use to it, bobo wey done spend all his life abroad and probably has never stepped foot in Nigeria, if he makes Nigeria his second choice behind all his ever known, na wetin bad about that?
Una go like am if a proper Naija man come decide go another country go play for them? Unless the bobo useless, the thing go pIn una well well.

Abegi, naija wan chop for pot dem no put money inside, come dey talk say na me go take the first meat. Mssshhheeww

_________________
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 4941
Location: London
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
felarey wrote:
Zelex wrote:
I have no qualms if a player decides to pledge their allegiance to another nation, fair enough. Whilst I don't agree that the chapter should be closed such players if they do decide to play for Nigeria in the future, in no way should Nigeria put themselves out there to try and "convince" these players again. They have to openly declare themselves available for selection. The idea of going back to convince someone who has rejected you previously is frankly embarrassing, particularly in the context of International football where it is a privilege to where the green jersey.

Embarrassing to who specifically? Who are the whos or nigerians that decide what is embarassing and what is not for the rest of us? Fellow Nigerians? A free citizen makes a decision regarding his country, you don't like so want to sanction it and advocate such as policy. How callous? It would be foolish to not approach a player eligible and good enough for the SE at any time. Especially if it's because he chose to exercise his free will at some point. The privilege of wearing the shirt doesn't come with any assurances regarding personal aspirations that people care about such as career, family, money etc and we want to keep it that way. It's benefit is mostly in the emotional, qualitative intangibles and a stamp of call ups and appearances.

I'm currently seeing firsthand what often happens with these kids. I know a naija kid and his family heading to Brazil in Oct for the U17 WC. He's in the Canadian squad. The boy was wanted in the Nigeria U17 camp but the logistics of his dad having to travel and stay with him (only 16 yrs) while in camp plus footing all the bills eventually led to opting for Canada with coaches blowing up his phone. This kid has been seeing all sorts of specialists since he was 12 on several injuries. He's had to do lots of work in specialized gyms with the attendant trainers and lots of encouragement. His father is a doctor and has used his connections extensively to get him care making up the difference with his academy in England. Guess which govt(s) was paying or subsidizing all these activities?? When his parents don't, someone else is picking up the tab in the system. When they can't drive him to practice, it's the neighbors or friends that have picked up the slack.
.
The school and teachers are involved, a pride often showed as one of their own and a credit to their sports program. His entire street is involved and we the family friends are also dropping words of encouragement every moment we can get. There's an entourage gathering and planning to follow him to Brazil as we speak. Now, imagine this 16 yr old kid is fortunate to make it to a standard where he's good enough, decides to play for Canada or England where he also has eligibility and somewhere on CE someone is feeling slighted because he didn't just jump at the privilege of wearing the GWG.


Don't really see how your point relates to mine. As I've said, I have no qualms with whatever decision an individual makes. I genuinely could care less. My thing is that once you have rejected Nigeria. Nigeria shouldn't chase after you or try and "convince" you. It's up to you to declare yourself available so for national selection if you change your mind. I think this is entirely fair (maybe you misread my post?).

Funny thing is that as someone who was born and raised outside Nigeria, I think would probably understand better than yourself where the mindset of these kids and how these things work. I've never implied (or at least I didn't feel I did) that I don't empathize with their situation but just like how they have decided to pursue the path they feel is best for them. Nigeria also has to do the same and I just don't buy the idea of spending more resources (time) on players that have once rejected Nigeria previously. The onus should be on them to reach out if they want to represent the country IMO.

Ok but I will say it again....it would be extremely foolish for Nigeria not to actively approach a player that is good enough and eligible at any time. That is a self deprecating move especially if it's because the player played youth football with his other country. All the big teams do it, examples exist for Brazil, Italy, so why not Nigeria? Moses would have started for England last year if he was eligible. Imagine if we had turned away when he was in the England youth setup and stayed waiting for him till he declared his desire to play for Nigeria. Pursuing players is a progressive move. Siasia pursued Moses and two years later he was key to winning the AFCON. My issue with your post is the enduring perception of slight or embarassment when a player doesn't chose to play for one of his countries. Playing for another country doesn't make these players any less Nigerians and there's no good reason to create any special cases. Today it's a no, tomorrow it's a yes, nothing wrong with that. For them it's more than just the privilege of international football, it's also a career decision.


I didn't say it is embarrassing when a player doesn't select Nigeria rather to continue to pursue that player once he has already rejected you once, is. This goes for any country. I understand your point however. As I've stated I have no problems with a player of dual-national playing for Nigeria even after they have initially rejected the opportunity to play for the country previously. What I'm personally against is actively pursuing such a player, the onus is on them to come out and say I am ready to play for Nigeria now. Take Agu for example, I would accept him with open arms (not that my validation is required) if he decided to play for Nigeria in 3 years or so but the ball is in his court. To expect Nigeria to reach out again after already being put on hold (after serious discussions had already taken) is IMO what I would find embarrassing. He should declare himself available for selection if that time ever comes. To each his own though.

_________________
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Sheikh and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group