Why Osimhen Did not Start v St. Etienne

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why Osimhen Did not Start v St. Etienne

Post by Enugu II »

Victor Osimhen: Why I dropped Lille’s Nigerian striker to the bench - Galtier
Gbenga Adewoye
13:42 8/29/19
https://www.goal.com/en-za/news/victor- ... ptmwqh7flb

The 20-year-old was the standout performer in his side’s victory over the Greens and his boss is confident he will continue to improve
Lille manager Christophe Galtier believes Victor Osimhen will continue to improve after his impressive performance in their 3-0 victory over Saint-Etienne in Wednesday’s Ligue 1 game.
The forward grabbed a brace in his third appearance for the Great Danes after replacing injured Loic Remy to ensure his side clinched their second win of the season.
Galtier has praised the man-of-the-match display from the striker but admitted the forward still needs to improve on his performances.

"Victor Osimhen is only 20-years-old, so he has a lot of room for improvement,” Galtier told the club website.
“He's going to get better physically because I remember he only had seven days off this summer. I hope that he will go better and better.”

The 20-year-old teamed up with Lille in the summer as a direct replacement for Nicolas Pepe, who joined Premier League side Arsenal in a club-record fee of £72 million.
Osimhen immediately hit the ground running, scoring a brace in his debut appearance for the Great Danes in their 2-1 victory over Nantes.
Despite the convincing showings, the forward who is part of the Super Eagles 24-man squad for September’s friendly game against Ukraine, was dropped to the bench with Remy preferred ahead of him.
“I had made the choice not to start him, despite his magnificent start especially against Nantes, because after the match in Reims, Victor will fly to participate in two games with his national team,” the Lille boss continued.
“I was very happy with Loic Remy during the preparation, he unfortunately quickly hurt himself. This is the advantage of having a workforce like ours, with Victor, who came back without asking any questions.
“He understood my choice to put him on the substitutes' bench, and he came back to be decisive. I think about the goals, of course, but also about what I'm looking for in the game of an attacker: to put intensity and to press forward."
Osimhen will hope to maintain his form when Lille take on Reims in their next league game on Sunday.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why Osimhen Did not Start v St. Etienne

Post by danfo driver »

Exactly what I said in the Osimehn thread.

It would be irresponsible to play a 20 year old, who didnt rest this summer, in a match on wednesday and then he plays again on sunday, and then goes to the National team and plays twice. Then comes back and plays league and CL.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

danfo driver wrote:Exactly what I said in the Osimehn thread.

It would be irresponsible to play a 20 year old, who didnt rest this summer, in a match on wednesday and then he plays again on sunday, and then goes to the National team and plays twice. Then comes back and plays league and CL.
Yeap makes sense, we don't want more Ndidi situations where they seemed to be getting burnt out...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:Exactly what I said in the Osimehn thread.

if this wasn't posted i am very sure mace would be all over condemning Osimhen for being on the bench
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Play twice with the national team? do we have another friendly match after the Ukraine one?
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Tobi17 wrote:Play twice with the national team? do we have another friendly match after the Ukraine one?
Our Olympic team plays Sudan within that same window. As a joint member of the Olympic and Super Eagles teams, I don't know if he'll get to play both matches.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Obong wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:Play twice with the national team? do we have another friendly match after the Ukraine one?
Our Olympic team plays Sudan within that same window. As a joint member of the Olympic and Super Eagles teams, I don't know if he'll get to play both matches.
Osimhen will not play for the U23 team...
For starters, those games are on different continents.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

We read what we want to see. The coach clearly picked Remy ahead of him, Remy was performing well in training. Remy got hurt then Osihmen was brought in. Perhaps he had planned to play him from the bench, at some point, but clearly Remy was the the card he planned to play for this game.

Kudos to Osihmen, may he continue to grow and may he surpass Drogba and Eto combined.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Gotti wrote:
Obong wrote:
Osimhen will not play for the U23 team...
For starters, those games are on different continents.

The bolded should be common sense. :???:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote:We read what we want to see. The coach clearly picked Remy ahead of him, Remy was performing well in training. Remy got hurt then Osihmen was brought in. Perhaps he had planned to play him from the bench, at some point, but clearly Remy was the the card he planned to play for this game.

Kudos to Osihmen, may he continue to grow and may he surpass Drogba and Eto combined.
Odiegwu! When you arrived at the training ground, did they serve you chocolate and croissants? or did you demand nkwobi, upon your arrival?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

danfo driver wrote:
ANC wrote:We read what we want to see. The coach clearly picked Remy ahead of him, Remy was performing well in training. Remy got hurt then Osihmen was brought in. Perhaps he had planned to play him from the bench, at some point, but clearly Remy was the the card he planned to play for this game.

Odiegwu! When you arrived at the training ground, did they serve you chocolate and croissants? or did you demand nkwobi, upon your arrival?

not me the coach.