Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 38505
Location: Somewhere
oloye wrote:
If you were a keeper, you were either a Fregene, Rigogo or Okalla. If you can shoot the ball hard, you were called a Thunder, for Thunder Balogun.

Those were the days when the owner of the ball would inspect your toes to see if you have sharp nails and toeing the ball was forbidden for obvious reasons. You toe the ball you get a severe warning, in some instances it was automatic red. Your offence, you are trying to burst the ball. The Felele ball or Wembley was succeptible to anything sharp, even your sharp nails could lead to a leak.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Image
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 2805
Na Monkey Post we only played with for goals.

Where did the name "monkey post " even come from ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 38505
Location: Somewhere
Damunk wrote:
Don't forget the 'terminology

"Bodi" - feint or swerve, sending your marker in the wrong direction

"S̩abalẹ"- Sliding or scissor tackle; take the man and the ball together.

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Window/Findow" - now commonly known as 'nutmegging'.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ago/Bell ringing" - to completely miss the ball, to kick "fresh air".

"Ege" - dribble.

"Troway Cup" - to miss a sitter/'open net' a la Aiyegbeni.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

'Choosing' - unique team selection process for 'set'.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.



do you know the origin/meaning of 'Ago'?

_________________
Image
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:28 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 39971
Location: UK
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Don't forget the 'terminology

"Bodi" - feint or swerve, sending your marker in the wrong direction

"S̩abalẹ"- Sliding or scissor tackle; take the man and the ball together.

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Window/Findow" - now commonly known as 'nutmegging'.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ago/Bell ringing" - to completely miss the ball, to kick "fresh air".

"Ege" - dribble.

"Troway Cup" - to miss a sitter/'open net' a la Aiyegbeni.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

'Choosing' - unique team selection process for 'set'.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.



do you know the origin/meaning of 'Ago'?
'Ago' in Yoruba means 'time' which I suspect is linked to the 'bell', often used in marking time.
So when a player kicks fresh air, the swinging leg motion might be seen as similar to the swinging pendulum in a clock, or even the arm motion of someone ringing a bell.

That's my own deduction of where the name 'ago' came from wrt football.
Just my own deductions o.

It'd be interesting to hear what the Igbos and others call the same unfortunate mishap in their language :idea:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:49 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20033
Location: Canada
oloye wrote:
All I know is that woe betide the person who burst the ball...
As for the brat who owns the ball, only God can forgive their oppressive regime.
If you are not on good terms with him, we'll remember that advice Jesus gave about making up with the person you have offended.. Well the brat won choose you, you can be sure of that unless you beg and grovel, and possibly give him one of your toffees or even bribe him with your pocket money.

It does not stop there, he is the coach, the ref, the captain of not only his own team, but the two teams. He selects all the best players on his team.

If you don't pass to him, he will ask you to leave or he will leave with his ball. If you tackle him or foul him even outside the field he will demand a penalty be awarded to himself which he will take, if you refuse he will grab his ball and leave.

If you shoot the ball too hard he takes offence, do you want to bust my ball he screams.

Everything revolves around him, he must be the best and no one, I repeat no one must outshine him.

I always feel like wrapping my hands around their neck and squeeze until they beg for mercy for a change.

:lol: Owning the ball was king. Another similar analogy was having the current newspapers. My dad used to bring home the day's newspapers from the office. An uncle in Uni that lived with us would take those papers and immediately become the hotshot on the street. He had a bunch of friends that would grovel, beg and long for the benefit of reading those papers. We've always had the tendency to create a hell hole for ourselves. Looking back at the demand, I wonder how Punch, Tribune, Vanguard etc. didn't become 50B dollar companies hiring 70k+ employees with branches in finance, mining, oil and gas etc. Either mismanagement or the oyinbos took it from us.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:56 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20033
Location: Canada
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
felarey wrote:
There was also that grown up (uncle, aunty, parent etc.) around like the Grinch that stole Christmas, looking to seize the ball if played into their compound or somewhere they disapprove of. Sometimes it's just because they wanted to sleep and didn't like the noise or a NIMBY (not in my back yard) move. Then comes the begging....



I used to think Felarey was na ajebota that grew up in Manchester o

:D I believe any Nigerian schoolboy that played a decent amount of soccer would have had atleast some of this experience. Also anyone that went to a govt (state or federal) run school probably went through this. We haven't touched on building kites, suwe, ten-ten (for girls tho) etc.

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 4628
I only played organized soccer in my youth. This is all foreign to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 11811
Location: seattle
"police game" pretty much - kick and run football, when players lack proper fundamentals and ball control skills

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 11811
Location: seattle
blueangel wrote:
Na Monkey Post we only played with for goals.

Where did the name "monkey post " even come from ?


monkey post comes from monkey arms length swing from branch to another

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 38505
Location: Somewhere
Damunk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Don't forget the 'terminology

"Bodi" - feint or swerve, sending your marker in the wrong direction

"S̩abalẹ"- Sliding or scissor tackle; take the man and the ball together.

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Window/Findow" - now commonly known as 'nutmegging'.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ago/Bell ringing" - to completely miss the ball, to kick "fresh air".

"Ege" - dribble.

"Troway Cup" - to miss a sitter/'open net' a la Aiyegbeni.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

'Choosing' - unique team selection process for 'set'.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.



do you know the origin/meaning of 'Ago'?
'Ago' in Yoruba means 'time' which I suspect is linked to the 'bell', often used in marking time.
So when a player kicks fresh air, the swinging leg motion might be seen as similar to the swinging pendulum in a clock, or even the arm motion of someone ringing a bell.

That's my own deduction of where the name 'ago' came from wrt football.
Just my own deductions o.

It'd be interesting to hear what the Igbos and others call the same unfortunate mishap in their language :idea:


quite close. The full yoruba expression, per senior uncles, na “L’ago epan/epon”. When you swing and miss, your testicles ring the bell. Kai, Yoruba people sef.

_________________
Image
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 10594
kalani JR wrote:
I only played organized soccer in my youth. This is all foreign to me.




:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:08 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 39971
Location: UK
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Don't forget the 'terminology

"Bodi" - feint or swerve, sending your marker in the wrong direction

"S̩abalẹ"- Sliding or scissor tackle; take the man and the ball together.

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Window/Findow" - now commonly known as 'nutmegging'.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ago/Bell ringing" - to completely miss the ball, to kick "fresh air".

"Ege" - dribble.

"Troway Cup" - to miss a sitter/'open net' a la Aiyegbeni.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

'Choosing' - unique team selection process for 'set'.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.



do you know the origin/meaning of 'Ago'?
'Ago' in Yoruba means 'time' which I suspect is linked to the 'bell', often used in marking time.
So when a player kicks fresh air, the swinging leg motion might be seen as similar to the swinging pendulum in a clock, or even the arm motion of someone ringing a bell.

That's my own deduction of where the name 'ago' came from wrt football.
Just my own deductions o.

It'd be interesting to hear what the Igbos and others call the same unfortunate mishap in their language :idea:


quite close. The full yoruba expression, per senior uncles, na “L’ago epan/epon”. When you swing and miss, your testicles ring the bell. Kai, Yoruba people sef.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:12 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 4628
ANC wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
I only played organized soccer in my youth. This is all foreign to me.




:lol:


Sadly I was noticed as a prodigious footballing talent at the toddler stage so I never engaged in these childhood games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:03 pm
Posts: 25703
Location: The Kingdom
Where did you guys play your football?

Nepa
Toros
If you miss the ball, don’t miss the leg

_________________
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:28 pm
Posts: 4190
Location: UK
Damunk wrote:
Don't forget the 'terminology

"Bodi" - feint or swerve, sending your marker in the wrong direction

"S̩abalẹ"- Sliding or scissor tackle; take the man and the ball together.

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Window/Findow" - now commonly known as 'nutmegging'.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ago/Bell ringing" - to completely miss the ball, to kick "fresh air".

"Ege" - dribble.

"Troway Cup" - to miss a sitter/'open net' a la Aiyegbeni.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

'Choosing' - unique team selection process for 'set'.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.


Sagalo - Mario Zagalo

Window - also Pata/Toros

_________________
YNWA
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 pm
Posts: 1040
Damunk wrote:
Aswani wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Don't forget the 'terminology

"Bodi" - feint or swerve, sending your marker in the wrong direction

"S̩abalẹ"- Sliding or scissor tackle; take the man and the ball together.

"Round table" - a dribble where you turn your marker 360 degrees starting and ending on the same spot leaving him dizzy....and very angry.

"Heighting/Tailor" - to lob ball over your marker's head to collect the other side.

"Window/Findow" - now commonly known as 'nutmegging'.

"Sagalo" - full defensive 'back to sender' volley, named after a famous unknown Brazilian footballer.

"Ago/Bell ringing" - to completely miss the ball, to kick "fresh air".

"Ege" - dribble.

"Troway Cup" - to miss a sitter/'open net' a la Aiyegbeni.

'Set' - local street/yard/field game where 6 or 7-man teams play each other in 'first to 3 goals' matchups; winning side remains on the pitch while beaten side is replaced by another. Games continue until dem drive all of una comot.

'Choosing' - unique team selection process for 'set'.

"F.A." - name given to any ajebota kid that plays football like oyibo, or turns up for 'set' fully kitted in boots, socks and Yarshnal jersey. Usually has his own ball. :biggrin:

Add or modify your own.


Good list but the very first anywhere in the country would have been 'Odiye'.

How could you forget Damunk?
Actually I didn't forget but confused myself.
Thinking about it now, an 'Odiye' was different from a 'Sagalo', but I confused the two and went for Sagalo instead, thinking they were the same thing.
An odiye is an own goal, abi?


Yes, Odiye started out as a headed own goal but then morphed into any own goal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:16 am
Posts: 20033
Location: Canada
kalani JR wrote:
ANC wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
I only played organized soccer in my youth. This is all foreign to me.




:lol:


Sadly I was noticed as a prodigious footballing talent at the toddler stage so I never engaged in these childhood games.

Did you grow up in Nigeria? If so, where did you play this organized soccer?

_________________
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group