Agu Puts Nigeria On Hold as Germany Comes Calling.......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Agu Puts Nigeria On Hold as Germany Comes Calling.......

Post by Enugu II »

Realistically, below is the drill for most eligible Nigerian players who are born overseas. Not surprising, TBH and it does make sense.
Felix Agu Makes U-Turn On Replacing Injured Ebuehi For Ukraine Friendly, Honours Call Up To Germany U21
August 29, 201901513
https://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/08/29/f ... rmany-u21/

The plan of coach Gernot Rohr of the senior national team of Nigeria to beat Germany to the services of highly rated right full back Felix Agu has suffered a setback following his invitation by the U21 of Germany.

Agu who plays for VFL Osnabruck had talks with the coach of the senior national team of Nigeria on the possibility of replacing Benfica Tyrone Ebuehi in the squad of Nigeria for the upcoming friendly game against Ukraine and he will was willing to commit to the game.
However his call up to the U21 team of Germany has put a halt to the plans as he is willing to honour the call up to represent Germany in their upcoming friendly game against Greece on the 5th of September and European Championship qualifiers against Wales.

Already he has informed Rohr of his decision but he is still open to the idea of representing Nigeria in the future particularly if he fails to progress through the youth ranks of Germany.

Speaking on his invitation to the German team, the 19 year old said ” For me the invitation by national team coach Stefan Kuntz is a huge honour. The U21 of Germany has developed strongly in recent years, many Bundesliga players are part of the team, so I was overwhelmed by the call and I am looking forward to the games”, Agu said.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Agu Puts Nigeria On Hold as Germany Comes Calling.......

Post by danfo driver »

Felix Uduokhai also ran after Germany U-21.

Since then, he has been useless. Wolfsburg has now cut their losses and thrown him to Ausburg.

Good luck with him getting into the German National Team.

How is Akpogoma and Toritortor-ri, abi na Torunarigha, whose father played for us? I hope they are doing fine. :D
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I really wish Nigeria would leave guys like these alone. They should be given a simple choice...when someone commits to you and then decommits and joins the German U21 side, that should be it. He shouldn't be considered ever again.

Going back to them after something like this weakens you psychologically, and makes your team feel inferior. Is Felix Agu really going to change life in the eagles? Probably not...so why?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

We need to get used to SE being "second choice" for most foreign born players. They've probably struggled for acceptance in their country.
To now dump their country and be called a "Nigerian international" without their country first deciding there's no need of them might result in some unwarranted attention from fans and the public alike.
Last edited by pajimoh on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote:I really wish Nigeria would leave guys like these alone. They should be given a simple choice...when someone commits to you and then decommits and joins the German U21 side, that should be it. He shouldn't be considered ever again.

Going back to them after something like this weakens you psychologically, and makes your team feel inferior. Is Felix Agu really going to change life in the eagles? Probably not...so why?
Maybe for you the fan, but for their professional teammates, it don't mean shytt.
Its part f the game. Soldier come, soldier go. It is central to professional football life.
You accept wholeheartedly what's yours; you let go of he who goes elsewhere.
They fully understand that.
You and I don't quite get it. We are driven by ego.
Footballer na ashawo, no disrespect to them.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Good luck to him,Nigeria won’t learn from this so they might as well start capping amateur players with Nigerian backgrounds as long as they play abroad after all the NPL is worth śhíī!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

deanotito wrote:I really wish Nigeria would leave guys like these alone. They should be given a simple choice...when someone commits to you and then decommits and joins the German U21 side, that should be it. He shouldn't be considered ever again.

We need to get used to this. Put yourself in the shoes of the player, born and raised in a country that has been your home since birth. He is always going to relate to Germany first and Nigeria second. He'll only commit to playing for Nigeria if he thinks he doesn't have a shot at playing for Germany. These players have options now and they're basically keeping their options open.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote:

We need to get used to this. Put yourself in the shoes of the player, born and raised in a country that has been your home since birth. He is always going to relate to Germany first and Nigeria second. He'll only commit to playing for Nigeria if he thinks he doesn't have a shot at playing for Germany. These players have options now and they're basically keeping their options open.
Thank you.
Its not that hard to understand but as fans our feelings are easily hurt.

I wonder how we would turn the argument in our favour if those of us living and working abroad were accused of being unpatriotic or even 'traitors' by friends, family and colleagues living in Nigeria.
Its not as if Nigeria doesn't desperately need our services. :lol:

It's a very young man making a career choice.
Finish.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

danfo driver wrote:Felix Uduokhai also ran after Germany U-21.

Since then, he has been useless. Wolfsburg has now cut their losses and thrown him to Ausburg.

Good luck with him getting into the German National Team.

How is Akpogoma and Toritortor-ri, abi na Torunarigha, whose father played for us? I hope they are doing fine. :D
:D :P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote:

Maybe for you the fan, but for their professional teammates, it don't mean shytt.
Its part f the game. Soldier come, soldier go. It is central to professional football life.
I disagree. Completely and Totally. You can’t fill your team with German rejects and expect to have a psychological edge over Germany/like countries.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:

Thank you.

I wonder how we would turn the argument in our favour if those of us living and working abroad were accused of being unpatriotic or even 'traitors' by friends, family and colleagues living in Nigeria.

Finish.
I don’t disagree that a boy like this would have split loyalties/a hard time making a decision. However, we should NOT make his problem our problem. It’s like wanting to marry a woman who’s still pining over her ex. Her pining may be understandable but you don’t need to marry her, and make it your problem. These boys should be given simple choices. Nigeria or U21 for whatever country?? Yes, we should toast them before they make the decision, but once someone says he’s only going to consider you if he can’t rise through the German ranks, and you still dey dere dey wait with open arms, na yourself you dey deceive.

That we took Shola Aneobi to the World Cup still pains me. And what did he do for us?? Zippo. Though there’s always a chance, some fall through the cracks, I am personally unconvinced that someone who can’t make the German bench can be transformative for Nigeria...so what exactly do we gain from rejects beyond psychological weakness??
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

I really don't understand. The amateau leaugue is $#%, but the administrators are still make a killing. Something is definitely wrong somewhere.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

pajimoh wrote:We need to get used to SE being "second choice" for most foreign born players. They've probably struggled for acceptance in their country.
To now dump their country and be called a "Nigerian international" without their country first deciding there's no need of them might result in some unwarranted attention from fans and the public alike.
You were always second choice in everything, so this is the norm you go by....so we understand...and I mean every aspect of your life is 2nd choice....public and private
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:

I disagree. Completely and Totally. You can’t fill your team with German rejects and expect to have a psychological edge over Germany/like countries.
That's one way of looking at it.
I am not entirely convinced the footballers themselves see it the same way.
There's a counter-argument that they might feel they have a point to prove. Think of club 'rejects' like Mo Salah, KDB, Pogba and even Eto'o.
The fact that one party 'rejects' you is in no way a reflection of where your star will eventually carry you.
Just sayin'...
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Hear, hear.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: so that **** wants a useless div 2 players and he rejected the SE, now you people can see how **** never attracts any Niaja born foreigners
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Real Madrid had/has a simply unwritten rule --- "they come for you once!" I am not sure if they still do it, but they had the rule that they will try to buy you once. If you reject them, your chance is gone forever.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Damunk wrote:

No sire I side with Dean on this one. While no one begrudge their decision to play for Germany, the truth remains we should also be clear on this that we would not play second fiddle. Good luck to them.

I mean this one already agreed to play for us and was even penned down for friendly, only to drop us for German's u21, what an insult.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:

God bless you. You fill your team with foreign rejects and you wear your green white green and start deluding yourself you are going to beat the country who told them they were not good enough in the first place. :clap:

People tend to say what can we offer them, one thing for sure, we offer them the surest path to play in the world Cup if they are good enough. That is one benefit we should dangle before them, and we must not cheapen it by making it available to those who come to us after they have been rejected.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:

God bless you. You fill your team with foreign rejects and you wear your green white green and start deluding yourself you are going to beat the country who told them they were not good enough in the first place. :clap:

People tend to say what can we offer them, one thing for sure, we offer them the surest path to play in the world Cup if they are good enough. That is one benefit we should dangle before them, and we must not cheapen it by making it available to those who come to us after they have been rejected.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wearing the shirt, no matter how stained you think it is, is such an honor. It is such a privilege to wear it that we should demand that it is your first choice. How do you think people will "die for a shirt," which they are only wearing because they had no other option??!!!

No one is saying anyone should pick us! You can pick another country and we wish you well. HOWEVER, we will never agree to be sloppy seconds. As it is your right to choose your beloved Germany or England, its our own right to demand you choose us first of good luck in your future endeavor.

I always remember this Jong Tae guy of North Korea who always cries EVERYTIME they play the National Anthem:

[/video]
Jong was actually born in Japan to South Korean parents and has lived his entire life in Japan, where he currently plays in the J-League for Kawasaki Frontal. Jong is only "eligible to play for the DPRK after handing back his South Korean citizenship and [being] handed his new passport at the North Korean consulate in Tokyo."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

We have Chukwueze, Osimehn, Ndidi and the likes. These are first-rate players who will walk into those teams. We have them! We were their first choice and they were our first choice. Same way we found these 3, we can find first choices better than those who think we should be their second choice.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:

Thank you.

Finish.
Would you now see the racial abuse angle in this behavior could you then please apologies to Dele ali
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

oloye wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:

There are more than one way to look at this; being rejected by Germany can be a motivation to those players to beat Germany etc. Back in the 80 for example when we had limited admission slots and few universities in Nigeria lots of guys left to the US to go to school because they couldn't get into Nigerian schools and they have far more accomplished anything their peers who were offered admission in Nigeria because they had people in high places. Same thing applied to Mexican american born players back in the 80 when the US was rejecting them and instead flooded their national team with white boys. those Mexican players joined the mexico national team to flog US badly and finally thought them a lesson
Last edited by jette1 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."