Super Eagles Yet to Get AFCON Funds: CAF in Red....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Super Eagles Yet to Get AFCON Funds: CAF in Red....

Post by Enugu II »

CAF’s Finances In Red, Owes Super Eagles N502m AFCON 2019 Prize Money
0 September 7, 2019 5:08 pm
https://www.completesports.com/cafs-fin ... ize-money/

Nigeria Super Eagles, who emerged 2019 Africa Cup of Nations bronze medal winners after a hard fought 1-0 triumph over the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia in the Third-Place match, are still being owed a substantial part of their $2m prize money by CAF, Completesports.com reports.

CAF, Completesports.com gathered, is still owing the Super Eagles $1.4m (about N502m) having only last month, (August) released the sum of $600,000 (about N215m) to the three time African champions.

Similarly, champions, Desert Foxes of Algeria and runners up, Teranga Lions of Senegal, and fourth placed Carthage Eagles of Tunisia are yet to receive the full value of their entitlements.

The Super Eagles, The Carthage Eagles and Teranga Lions were due to receive $2m each for reaching the last four stage of the tournament.

Champions, Desert Foxes of Algeria were to take home $4.5m according to CAF’s enhanced AFCON winning packages.

But Completesports.com understands that nearly two months after Africa’s flagship football showpiece ended in Cairo, Egypt, only parts of the winning prize monies have been released to the teams.

It was also learnt that Senegal and Tunisia have equally been paid in part, with that of Algeria slightly more.

CAF wrote the NFF in August conveying a release of $800, 000, explaining that $600, 000 was part of their 2019 AFCON prize money while $200,000 was their annual grant from CAF due for each member association.

“We have written to CAF, asking for clarifications on the money that was paid to us,” an official of NFF said.

“It is quite odd that it is getting close to two months since we played at the AFCON in Egypt and we are yet to receive our prize money.

“It is a rather unusual situation for which we require an explanation.”

The situation, it was further gathered, also affected Esperance of Tunisia who are current CAF Champions League holders.

The ‘Blood and Yellow’ side are understood not to have received their $2.5m prize money from CAF, fuelling suggestion CAF finances are in red.

Morocco’s Fouzi Lekjaa, who is CAF Finance Committee chairman, had warned his colleagues during their meeting on June 19 that, “CAF has entered a cycle of structural deficit that will reach about $6m at the end of the year (2019)”.

He added: “If this deficit is not corrected, it will lead to the consumption of financial reserves and the deficit will reach to the point of reaching $120m after 10 years.”

By Sab Osuji
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Super Eagles Yet to Get AFCON Funds: CAF in Red....

Post by Orion »

I did say when I watched the last AFCON, it looked like a competition on its death bed. Some kind of radical change needs to happen to wake it up again to its past glory.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Orion wrote:I did say when I watched the last AFCON, it looked like a competition on its death bed. Some kind of radical change needs to happen to wake it up again to its past glory.
I agree and solution is simple; Caf needs to work with African Union cultural wing and assign tickets to all 54 member nations which they must redeem. this would not only fill up the empty stadiums but would increase participation. and involvement after-all football is a cultural event.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

jette1 wrote:
Orion wrote:I did say when I watched the last AFCON, it looked like a competition on its death bed. Some kind of radical change needs to happen to wake it up again to its past glory.
I agree and solution is simple; Caf needs to work with African Union cultural wing and assign tickets to all 54 member nations which they must redeem. this would not only fill up the empty stadiums but would increase participation. and involvement after-all football is a cultural event.
Soialism is not the solution. cAF should do a better job marketing the event.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Even the level of football in AFCON has declined seriously! Apart from Nigeria Cameroon game,I don't remember watching any exciting game. It sometimes looked as if I was watching Gidigbo!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

gochino wrote:Even the level of football in AFCON has declined seriously! Apart from Nigeria Cameroon game,I don't remember watching any exciting game. It sometimes looked as if I was watching Gidigbo!
It’s a makeshift competition they don’t even have requirements for hosts remember they picked Cameroon to host it initially and then changed the amount of qualified teams from 16 to 24!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

Hold it every four years and let FIFA run the whole thing. Reduce the Final teams to 8.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The Jagaban wrote:
Hold it every four years and let FIFA run the whole thing. Reduce the Final teams to 8.
Ahmad has been very bad news for CAF. Yes, CAF had problems before him but he has taken it to a new level of incompetence. Infantino and Pinnick, among others, share the blame for this appointment in their desperation to get rid of Hayatou.

First, get rid of Ahmad ASAP. :evil:

Next, immediately reduce the competition back to 16 teams. Or as you suggested, make it home and away games until the last 8 teams. Hence, all the games before the final competition will be packed with home fans watching their team. Africans are not travellers for sports so it's pointless having more teams at the AFCON as it will not bring more fans but only create more empty stadiums and lifeless games.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

The Jagaban wrote:
Why, because Africans can't organize a football competition? Inviting FIFA is asking the powers that be to take control ala US companies, UEFA, big clubs etc. FIFA just gave us links to watch our qualifiers for free. Wonder how CAF came up with these prize monies and what the plan was to get them.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ohenhen1 wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Soialism is not the solution.
Definitely. But Jette1 has a point in that the cultural element should be tapped. Its still part of marketing. I also think there should be a proactive strategy to get more women into the stadia. Make it attractive to them and even families.
Still marketing.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

felarey wrote:
The Jagaban wrote:
Why, because Africans can't organize a football competition? Inviting FIFA is asking the powers that be to take control ala US companies, UEFA, big clubs etc. FIFA just gave us links to watch our qualifiers for free. Wonder how CAF came up with these prize monies and what the plan was to get them.

True they gave us links. But they are collecting the data and once we get hooked, they will start charging! Pull up this thread down the road.
Kuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga