The case for the "cockney eagles"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The case for the "cockney eagles"

Post by fabio »

airwolex wrote:Bros Cellular,

When I was a rookie in Ebun Comets, we had a continental game in Algeria. A few of us were on the fringes, so you can imagine our consternation when some mercenaries from US College bball turned up in training.

I was already on the fringes so I knew automatically nothing for me. A few others were in the same boat and were very angry, as these guys were not even registered to be on the team. It was pure mago mago.

However, when Tunji Awojobi (he was in Boston College) at that time started playing, I knew that I was playing only joke basketball. It wasn't really my fault, as I did not have the exposure he had, but deep down in me, I realized that I just wasn't good enough and to be even close to what Tunji was, I had to quadruple my effort. Tbh seeing these guys was one of the reasons that I knew top level bball might not be for me. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So really what I am trying to say is that the likes of Iwobi, V Moses, and real high quality Nigerian foreign-born talent can only add to the team. Trust me, the true intelligent and self-aware local players that have an opportunity to train with them can only be inspired.

Honestly, I'm not as pissed with Pinnick as you guys. This is what he feels he needs to do to be successful. I don't know about a quota for local players like you suggested. Quotas and sports do not work well together. If a local player is just the best of the rest, he needs to work harder to get to a level where he cannot be ignored.

The likes of Finidi George and Amokachi did it so it's not impossible.
The likes of Finidi and Amokachi were given a chance, the HB are not even given a chance, that´s the crux of the matter, because the NFF believe, if you are in the league you are not good enough for SE.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

wanaj0 wrote:Maybe if you are less emotional we can actually have a debate.

So our 'most viable talents' are 'Those that make and have made the SE 23 man squads ON MERIT in the last three years'. Firtsly, If we have this discussion at the end of the ANC, some of the players we are salivating about now will not meet that your criteria. Unless people are given equal opportunity difficult to know what they can do. Secondly who and how do you determine those who made the SE 23 on MERIT?

Not sure I understand you and bushboy's position. It is BAD enough that we give foreign based players 'special' privilege. It is now WORSE that place of birth is now an added criteria that you and bushboy want to include in the selection criteria. So if you are not BORN abroad, you are not considered as part of our MOST VIABLE TALENT! Make una continue.
When it comes to Pinnick and Rohr, Damunk is always emotional.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

fabio wrote:

When I was a rookie in Ebun Comets, we had a continental game in Algeria. A few of us were on the fringes, so you can imagine our consternation when some mercenaries from US College bball turned up in training.

I was already on the fringes so I knew automatically nothing for me. A few others were in the same boat and were very angry, as these guys were not even registered to be on the team. It was pure mago mago.

However, when Tunji Awojobi (he was in Boston College) at that time started playing, I knew that I was playing only joke basketball. It wasn't really my fault, as I did not have the exposure he had, but deep down in me, I realized that I just wasn't good enough and to be even close to what Tunji was, I had to quadruple my effort. Tbh seeing these guys was one of the reasons that I knew top level bball might not be for me. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So really what I am trying to say is that the likes of Iwobi, V Moses, and real high quality Nigerian foreign-born talent can only add to the team. Trust me, the true intelligent and self-aware local players that have an opportunity to train with them can only be inspired.

Honestly, I'm not as pissed with Pinnick as you guys. This is what he feels he needs to do to be successful. I don't know about a quota for local players like you suggested. Quotas and sports do not work well together. If a local player is just the best of the rest, he needs to work harder to get to a level where he cannot be ignored.

The likes of Finidi and Amokachi were given a chance, the HB are not even given a chance, that´s the crux of the matter, because the NFF believe, if you are in the league you are not good enough for SE.
What's the proof that the HB are not being given a chance bros?
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

My position has absolutely nothing to do with where players are BORN, but where they are TRAINED. I am not sure why we act so confused by this premise. It is a no brainer that a young footballer schooled in a more stable environment with top notch coaches, facilities and nutrition will 9 times out of 10 develop into a BETTER footballer than a player (who might be more SKILLED) without access to the same standard.
It goes back to my example about a LUTH trained doctor versus a John Hopkins trained one.

If you look at our current SE roster top to bottom, a HUGE MAJORITY are foreign trained. 99% of our team have never played a single minute of NPFL football, and most got their start in professional football abroad. Our entire back like. Our entire attack. Any player worth his salt is discovered at a very young age and quickly whisked away to be developed abroad.
Can you even compare the level of Iwobi's vision and passing to his "naija peers?" In the first half alone, his passing could have led to 3 goals!
To learn to pass under the football tutelage of Wenger is light years ahead of learning it under some local academy coach. That is just plain FACT!

The wind of change is blowing. Each time we get to the world stage, we lose! Our world cup record is shambles! And instead of embracing NIGERIAN kids trained under the same conditions as the foreign players who regularly beat us, we insist on some yeye national pride?

Let us bring in EVERY SINGLE foreign trained NIGERIAN player we can find. They are the future. They are our most VIABLE chance to compete with the best in the world. Its as simple as that.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

bushboy wrote:My position has absolutely nothing to do with where players are BORN, but where they are TRAINED. I am not sure why we act so confused by this premise. It is a no brainer that a young footballer schooled in a more stable environment with top notch coaches, facilities and nutrition will 9 times out of 10 develop into a BETTER footballer than a player (who might be more SKILLED) without access to the same standard.
It goes back to my example about a LUTH trained doctor versus a John Hopkins trained one.

If you look at our current SE roster top to bottom, a HUGE MAJORITY are foreign trained. 99% of our team have never played a single minute of NPFL football, and most got their start in professional football abroad. Our entire back like. Our entire attack. Any player worth his salt is discovered at a very young age and quickly whisked away to be developed abroad.
Can you even compare the level of Iwobi's vision and passing to his "naija peers?" In the first half alone, his passing could have led to 3 goals!
To learn to pass under the football tutelage of Wenger is light years ahead of learning it under some local academy coach. That is just plain FACT!

The wind of change is blowing. Each time we get to the world stage, we lose! Our world cup record is shambles! And instead of embracing NIGERIAN kids trained under the same conditions as the foreign players who regularly beat us, we insist on some yeye national pride?

Let us bring in EVERY SINGLE foreign trained NIGERIAN player we can find. They are the future. They are our most VIABLE chance to compete with the best in the world. Its as simple as that.
Ol boy you don dey lose me o. I don't know that the gap is as wide as all that. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Every once in a while, we go thru this grand standing about how we are neglecting several Okochas hiding under the bridge!

But in reality its a lot of horse manure!!!

Look at the players in our youth teams, 95% of whom are home-based players. Look at their quality and understanding of the game- NOT the talent. Just look at their overall understanding of the game. Almost to a man it is based on self-help....

The peeps here jerking off about HB players in the SE, WE CANNOT find a decent goalkeeper for the SE, and had to use a player from the reserve side of a Segunda B team.

And you are telling me about reserving spots for HB players? What a retarded thought!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stupid!!!! Stupid!!!

You have to look deeper at the issues, the root cause of the problem I have said it here for years that the Nigerian domestic game is not developing players. Every time I raise it up folks who don't have a clue start giving irrelevant examples...

To reverse this trend requires the kind of systemic effort we are incapable of in Nigeria.

Yes, Pinnick deserves blame for not leading on this issue; he has overall responsibility for development of the game in Nigeria and thus deserves blame; but it goes way beyond him.

To expect any coach or NFF in this circumstance to not focus on the one area where our football is growing- the diaspora, does not make sense. It amounts to tying one hand to the back and expecting to win a swimming contest!

The world is changing, and so is football. The sources of players for the NT today transcends our international boundaries. There is a Nigerian diaspora football like we have never had before.

Peeps need to get used to it. People need to understand that the nature of citizenship has changed.

It's not a choice between Oloye's son (hoping he doesn't inherit those slide tackling skills :winking: ) and Ikpeba's. That's not how to look at it. Neither is it about creating artificial quotas. Where does it end? A quota for starting shirts?

There is a legitimate, BUT SEPARATE issue about development of the local game. That is a major issue that requires to be addressed by itself...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I see two questions here:

1. The development of home-grown players
2. Fielding overseas-born players (or those who started their development overseas) in the national team.

These are two separate issues.

I wouldn't have a problem if Nigeria fielded a team which consisted of players born in Europe - provided they were chosen on merit.

At the same time, I would like to see the improvements in the local game - playing (technical), coaching, and off field activities.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Stop being silly wanaj0.
You are definitely playing to the gallery with this 'emotional' accusation you're making.
What is "emotional" about the points I've made?
Just stick to the topic, abeg.
It wasn't me bringing up 'wowoisms' and 'Oyibo na oyibo' abstracts into a factual debate. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

airwolex wrote:
What's the proof that the HB are not being given a chance bros?
This is the video....

[/video]
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:
Stop being silly wanaj0.
You are definitely playing to the gallery with this 'emotional' accusation you're making.
What is "emotional" about the points I've made?
Just stick to the topic, abeg.
It wasn't me bringing up 'wowoisms' and 'Oyibo na oyibo' abstracts into a factual debate. :roll:
damunk, on the real, you do get very emotional when it comes to **** and peakmilk, you are known as a rohrbot . don't get into your feelings when you talk about ****
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:

So our 'most viable talents' are 'Those that make and have made the SE 23 man squads ON MERIT in the last three years'. Firtsly, If we have this discussion at the end of the ANC, some of the players we are salivating about now will not meet that your criteria. Unless people are given equal opportunity difficult to know what they can do. Secondly who and how do you determine those who made the SE 23 on MERIT?

Not sure I understand you and bushboy's position. It is BAD enough that we give foreign based players 'special' privilege. It is now WORSE that place of birth is now an added criteria that you and bushboy want to include in the selection criteria. So if you are not BORN abroad, you are not considered as part of our MOST VIABLE TALENT! Make una continue.
When it comes to Pinnick and Rohr, Damunk is always emotional.
...Says he who can't get himself to utter a single positive word about either of them. :roll:
Both of you are in a self-congratulatory dance of self-delusion. See how you no even see the strawman Wanajo is putting up there and you are accusing others of being "emotional". :rotf: :rotf:
I say stick to the facts and stop arguing on feelings.

This is what Yoruba people call 'Ai tete m'ole' - you accuse me before I accuse you.
Emotional ko, devotional ni. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

airwolex wrote:
bushboy wrote:My position has absolutely nothing to do with where players are BORN, but where they are TRAINED. I am not sure why we act so confused by this premise. It is a no brainer that a young footballer schooled in a more stable environment with top notch coaches, facilities and nutrition will 9 times out of 10 develop into a BETTER footballer than a player (who might be more SKILLED) without access to the same standard.

Ol boy you don dey lose me o. I don't know that the gap is as wide as all that. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You miss the point. Its not about the "wideness" of the gap. Even if the foreign trained lads are onlu 0.1% better, it still means they are BETTER and should make the team. The SE should represent the BEST NIGERIANS available, and those invariably are foreign trained. Its not rocket science.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I challenge any of the pro-home based dudes here to mention 3...JUST 3 players from the local league right now that are GOOD ENOUGH to walk into that SE team, maybe apart from the Enyimba GK who is hit and miss, I'll be waiting to see a list.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote:I challenge any of the pro-home based dudes here to mention 3...JUST 3 players from the local league right now that are GOOD ENOUGH to walk into that SE team, maybe apart from the Enyimba GK who is hit and miss, I'll be waiting to see a list.
You go wait tire.
Then they'll deflect the matter by accusing you of being "emotional".
Bring facts to support your argument nah.....they start going menstrual.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Tobi17 wrote:I challenge any of the pro-home based dudes here to mention 3...JUST 3 players from the local league right now that are GOOD ENOUGH to walk into that SE team, maybe apart from the Enyimba GK who is hit and miss, I'll be waiting to see a list.

is that all you can reduce the topic too? You need to stay in your mom's basement and watch more videos before you start opaking here. Mods shoud delete this thread sef. :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Idiots like Kongi and Fabio cannot name any Local based player good enough to walk into the Nigerian squad but they will push against Nigeria getting QUALITY players of Nigerian decent to play for Nigeria. Look at how the likes of Ekong, Iwobi and Balogun have improved the NT. Look at how well they have personally improved at footballers. Compare and contrast to the likes of Egwekwe, Mba ,Ogboabona etc who are MIA. I am glad Pinnick is aggressively pursuing these foreign born players. I hope in the next few months the likes of Lookman, Tomori, Eze and Ovie come on board.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

is that all you can reduce the topic too? You need to stay in your mom's basement and watch more videos before you start opaking here. Mods shoud delete this thread sef. :boo:
Of course you didn't disappoint :rotf:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

bret- hart wrote:Idiots like Kongi and Fabio cannot name any Local based player good enough to walk into the Nigerian squad but they will push against Nigeria getting QUALITY players of Nigerian decent to play for Nigeria. Look at how the likes of Ekong, Iwobi and Balogun have improved the NT. Look at how well they have personally improved at footballers. Compare and contrast to the likes of Egwekwe, Mba ,Ogboabona etc who are MIA. I am glad Pinnick is aggressively pursuing these foreign born players. I hope in the next few months the likes of Lookman, Tomori, Eze and Ovie come on board.
When we talk about these realities, they call us enemies of Nigerian football, arse kissers of anything foreign blah blah blah blah, we just hate when we are told the truth... it's a innate flaw in an African man! I've challenged the emotional blockheads to name just 3 local based players today in the NPFL who can make the bench of teams even in North Africa, South Africa and other decent leagues in Africa... much more the SE.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

bushboy wrote:I grew up in the era of the "green eagles" and at some point, I grew accustomed to the new name to the "super eagles" but I think we are headed for the biggest and most significant change of all. All hail the "cockney eagles!"

As I watched the game against Ukraine yesterday, I noticed a level of calm and confidence in the fundamentals of 4 players that seemed out of place with the "run fast, dribble and shoot" mentality of their peers. It was obvious to me that their peers possibly had more natural talent than the 4 aforementioned, but something about them seemed "mentally" better. These 4 were: Iwobi. Aribo. Ajayi. Aina.

This got me thinking. What if the other players on this team had also benefited from having their football foundation built in a structured academy of a team with resources to spare? The EPL is without question the best league in the world and some of these academies are truly world class. It is no coincidence that even the English national team is in the midst of the best talent the nation has produced in decades!

I am tired of the local academy, with falsified ages and profit making model. I think the future of our SE lies with these Nigerian young men trained and taught football from a young age at the highest level under former club legends and top level coaches.

Adarabioyo. Tomori. Abraham. Ejaira. And a host of other Nigerian brits MUST be brought in.

Yes, there is room for the brilliant talents of the Chukwueze, Kalu, Osimhen, Onyekuru, Etebo...but I really believe for us to hit the dizzying heights of world dominance, our team must be 60-70% made up of the cockney boys! That in my opinion will be a jolly good show!
So the “bush” in your moniker refers to your mentality...smh :oops:
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Tobi17 wrote:When we talk about these realities, they call us enemies of Nigerian football, arse kissers of anything foreign blah blah blah blah, we just hate when we are told the truth... it's a innate flaw in an African man! I've challenged the emotional blockheads to name just 3 local based players today in the NPFL who can make the bench of teams even in North Africa, South Africa and other decent leagues in Africa... much more the SE.
Not even to going bother to read the rest of this thread...
As I see it’s obviously flooded by slow folks with LOW self-esteem.

Suffice it note my eternal delight that you are one of those “flawed” African man (explains a whole lot), and would also have loved to point out all your progenitor and progeny (if you happen to be so lucky wrt latter) that are similarly “flawed” African males, but do not want to risk a ban by partisan moderators. SMH
>
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

bret- hart wrote:Idiots like Kongi and Fabio cannot name any Local based player good enough to walk into the Nigerian squad but they will push against Nigeria getting QUALITY players of Nigerian decent to play for Nigeria. Look at how the likes of Ekong, Iwobi and Balogun have improved the NT. Look at how well they have personally improved at footballers. Compare and contrast to the likes of Egwekwe, Mba ,Ogboabona etc who are MIA. I am glad Pinnick is aggressively pursuing these foreign born players. I hope in the next few months the likes of Lookman, Tomori, Eze and Ovie come on board.
Exactly bros!
Plus Ade Akinbiyi, Hope Akpan, Ugo “Stiffy” Ukah, Danny Shittu (Lord Bless him, all the same), Steve Ukoh, etc. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Same Tunji Awojobi (a personal acquaintance btw) who went straight from the streets of Lagos...
To comprehensively DOMINATE one year of high school and the entire conference in 4 years of college?

Dude, there’s a little thing called TALENT...
Tunji obviously has much more of it than you did!

Meanwhile, football is to Nigerians what basketball is to Americans.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Gotti wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:When we talk about these realities, they call us enemies of Nigerian football, arse kissers of anything foreign blah blah blah blah, we just hate when we are told the truth... it's a innate flaw in an African man! I've challenged the emotional blockheads to name just 3 local based players today in the NPFL who can make the bench of teams even in North Africa, South Africa and other decent leagues in Africa... much more the SE.
Not even to going bother to read the rest of this thread...
As I see it’s obviously flooded by slow folks with LOW self-esteem.

Suffice it note my eternal delight that you are one of those “flawed” African man (explains a whole lot), and would also have loved to point out all your progenitor and progeny (if you happen to be so lucky wrt latter) that are similarly “flawed” African males, but do not want to risk a ban by partisan moderators. SMH
>
Goatee enters the fray :rotf: