The case for the "cockney eagles"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The case for the "cockney eagles"

Post by airwolex »

Bigpokey24 wrote:we should also open a thread and talk about " the Case for the Igbo eagles" also we can add the case for the Hausa eagles, then include the case for the Yoruba eagles. Why stop there we can add the case for the dutch eagle, or better yet the German eagle.
I will like to add the case for the Efik eagles

what a very race baiting thread
Bros...you miss the point. Anyway, this is simple, the best players who are eligible as Nigerians must play without bias.

I love Etebo, Chukwueze etc and if the pako Eagus can dominate the team top to bottom I would be happy...however it would be criminal to have ballers that are better tjhan what we have now and not use them because of sentiments and bias.

Imagine excluding the likes of V Moses, Iwobi, Ekong and Balogun? Just imagine.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

airwolex wrote:The best players should play period! I don't care whether they are cockney or Wawa Eagles.

It's obvious that the likes of Iwobi, Aina, Aribo and if they choose to play for Naija, Ejaria, Tomori and Lookman are better than 90% of players raised in Nigeria. We haven't even mentioned the Bavarian Dutch and German youngsters like Okoye, Ebuehi etc.

Competition is never a bad thing. A player afraid of competition should go and play ludo.

A look at the academies of the major teams in England will shock some of you. Damunk and I have been saying this for Donkey years.

If you are one of those that prefer Ramon Azeez, Ogu, Awoniyi, Kele and Nwakwali simply for sentimental reasons, prepare to not support the SE for the foreseeable future. Enough of these mediocre guys who have been having it easy for years.
Airwolex, the argument is not that players with Nigerian heritage should not be called up and given a chance to play for SE.

The real issue here is Pinnick hegemony which he has stated times without number ¨foreign better, local bad¨.

What people are saying is all the best players regardless of their location should be given equal chance to stake their for SE. This fascination of only inviting foreign based players and investing some such energy into players with Nigerian heritage, even if they are playing in the third division is wrong. Tammy has said No, to SE. Let the matter be. Pinnick is still chasing the boy, day and night.

The Nigerian league is on. Rohr is outside of the country. Rohr arrives Nigeria 5 days before a match and jets out immediately after the match. Peter Rufai was channels tv after a league game saying GK in the league should be given a chance in SE.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:Like I said, suggest local players that are being unjustifiably left out.
Hallelujah, have you sent the memo to Pinnick and Sir V? :mrgreen: :rotf:
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
bushboy wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:we should also open a thread and talk about " the Case for the Igbo eagles" also we can add the case for the Hausa eagles, then include the case for the Yoruba eagles. Why stop there we can add the case for the dutch eagle, or better yet the German eagle.

The use of the word "cockney" in my thread is clearly tongue-in-cheek to mean our British born talents. It is NOT a racial or ethnic identifier. Tons of Nigerians have kids born in London. Igbo, Hausa, Efik, or whatever, they are all "cockney"
I'm not sure why you choose to focus on irrational arguments about ethnicity and miss the point of the thread. Our most viable talents are the ones trained in foreign academies. The time has comes to embrace that fully.
Is there a research or study to support this assertion? Any data to back this your conclusion?
Nothing formal obviously.
But note the word 'viable' which I assume he chose carefully and deliberately.
Anecdotal evidence suggests he has a point worth debating.

He is talking about those ultimately making it through to the full SE team, not the age-grade teams.
Look at the histories of the players in the current squad. Its a snapshot and supports his assertion.

It still boils down to our dysfunctional youth development system.
Is it because the current NFF Chairman is a 'WOWO' who believed that Oyinbo na Oyinbo?

On what basis is the claim that 'OUR MOST VIABLE TALENTS ARE TRAINED IN FOREIGN ACADEMIES'?

Who are the 'most viable talents' to start with? What is the selection criteria for that group?

Makes me remember the discussion about Nigerian youth players not making it big because they are age cheats!
Lets cut out the emotion and personality politics if we really want a mature debate.

If you choose to blame one man for the state of our youth development, then feel free.
But you won't be taken seriously.

So, as things stand today...where are the players most 'viable' for the full SE getting their football education?
And if, as you seem to be insisting, they are in Nigeria and are being ignored because of WOWOism, then please name such players that should be in the SE camp as we speak.

And to help you out, you can take a look at our U23 national team which is full of Nigeria-groomed players. Kindly name those of them that should be displacing the allegedly 'WOWO-enabled' current SE players.

After all, majority of the SE squad is under 25 to the point that with a few exceptions, it could even be an U23 squad itself. :idea:
Doc, Uncle Wanaj0 is 100% correct and right to boot.

Pinnick detests homegrown athletes even during his time in Delta state when he was recruiting Americans to run for Delta State.

The man is a LAZY administrator. He also hires a coach who he encourages to not look at the local-based players.

We have to actually make a concerted effort to search for talent knowing that our base is in identifying young talent in Naijaria not just for our immediate needs but for long-term sustainable growth of our football.

I say that Pinnick is a major problem because he has had opportunities to try to help the local players establish themselves but he prefers players who were either born abroad or are based abroad.

I still maintain that there's nothing wrong with mandating that 2/3 players for such friendlies should be reserved for local players even if to just get a chance to train with foreign-based pros. It helps everyone... not just the players but the FA and the local league.

To think Esiti played and played like a jambodi. Imagine if na homebased... we for no finish hearing about his play.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

fabio wrote:
airwolex wrote:The best players should play period! I don't care whether they are cockney or Wawa Eagles.

It's obvious that the likes of Iwobi, Aina, Aribo and if they choose to play for Naija, Ejaria, Tomori and Lookman are better than 90% of players raised in Nigeria. We haven't even mentioned the Bavarian Dutch and German youngsters like Okoye, Ebuehi etc.

Competition is never a bad thing. A player afraid of competition should go and play ludo.

A look at the academies of the major teams in England will shock some of you. Damunk and I have been saying this for Donkey years.

If you are one of those that prefer Ramon Azeez, Ogu, Awoniyi, Kele and Nwakwali simply for sentimental reasons, prepare to not support the SE for the foreseeable future. Enough of these mediocre guys who have been having it easy for years.
Airwolex, the argument is not that players with Nigerian heritage should not be called up and given a chance to play for SE.

The real issue here is Pinnick hegemony which he has stated times without number ¨foreign better, local bad¨.

What people are saying is all the best players regardless of their location should be given equal chance to stake their for SE. This fascination of only inviting foreign based players and investing some such energy into players with Nigerian heritage, even if they are playing in the third division is wrong. Tammy has said No, to SE. Let the matter be. Pinnick is still chasing the boy, day and night.

The Nigerian league is on. Rohr is outside of the country. Rohr arrives Nigeria 5 days before a match and jets out immediately after the match. Peter Rufai was channels tv after a league game saying GK in the league should be given a chance in SE.
:agree:
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Nigerians and our warped sense that messes up everything that is beautiful. Why do we look at everything from the tinted eyes of we and them, they and us, foreign and local, hausa or igbo, North or South, cockney vs ngbatingbati, omo nna vs omo hausa... Why can we just enjoy the talents on display. Damn!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

airwolex wrote:

Bros...you miss the point. Anyway, this is simple, the best players who are eligible as Nigerians must play without bias.

I love Etebo, Chukwueze etc and if the pako Eagus can dominate the team top to bottom I would be happy...however it would be criminal to have ballers that are better tjhan what we have now and not use them because of sentiments and bias.

It is not about excluding them. It is about giving someone an opportunity especially in positions of need.

You of all people should know this. You were once a local basketball player and went overseas and you saw that with some exposure and better training some of the local players can compete and compete well. If you were called to camp there's no way you won't take back some of the good training and exposure you got in camp back to your team and share with your mates so that collectively you all will get better.

It is just an extension of train the trainer...

Give these guys an opportunity to compete. We are not saying give them automatic shirts or reserve automatic shirts for local players... just give them an opportunity to compete/train with their foreign counterparts. It is a win-win for everyone involved.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
airwolex wrote:

It is not about excluding them. It is about giving someone an opportunity especially in positions of need.

You of all people should know this. You were once a local basketball player and went overseas and you saw that with some exposure and better training some of the local players can compete and compete well. If you were called to camp there's no way you won't take back some of the good training and exposure you got in camp back to your team and share with your mates so that collectively you all will get better.

Give these guys an opportunity to compete. We are not saying give them automatic shirts or reserve automatic shirts for local players... just give them an opportunity to compete/train with their foreign counterparts. It is a win-win for everyone involved.
Pinnick surely has never hidden the fact that his focus is all Europe. Thor has done the same. It is wrong to claim there are no good footballers playing in Nigeria when you have not cared enough to scout them. Surely, if Rohr is enamored by guys barely playing at clubs in Europe then there are some young excellent prospects playing locally. Do not simply dismiss them or given some token attention.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Cellular wrote:

Pinnick detests homegrown athletes even during his time in Delta state when he was recruiting Americans to run for Delta State.

The man is a LAZY administrator. He also hires a coach who he encourages to not look at the local-based players.

We have to actually make a concerted effort to search for talent knowing that our base is in identifying young talent in Naijaria not just for our immediate needs but for long-term sustainable growth of our football.

I say that Pinnick is a major problem because he has had opportunities to try to help the local players establish themselves but he prefers players who were either born abroad or are based abroad.

I still maintain that there's nothing wrong with mandating that 2/3 players for such friendlies should be reserved for local players even if to just get a chance to train with foreign-based pros. It helps everyone... not just the players but the FA and the local league.

To think Esiti played and played like a jambodi. Imagine if na homebased... we for no finish hearing about his play.
End of story. :clap: :clap: :clap:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Enugu II wrote: Pinnick surely has never hidden the fact that his focus is all Europe. Thor has done the same. It is wrong to claim there are no good footballers playing in Nigeria when you have not cared enough to scout them. Surely, if Rohr is enamored by guys barely playing at clubs in Europe then there are some young excellent prospects playing locally. Do not simply dismiss them or given some token attention.
This was also confirmed by SE press Officer who said.. that their line of thinking is: any good HB player will not be in the league for 2 years. If you are in the league for more than 2 years, you are not good enough.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Cellular wrote:
airwolex wrote:

Pinnick surely has never hidden the fact that his focus is all Europe. Thor has done the same. It is wrong to claim there are no good footballers playing in Nigeria when you have not cared enough to scout them. Surely, if Rohr is enamored by guys barely playing at clubs in Europe then there are some young excellent prospects playing locally. Do not simply dismiss them or given some token attention.
I know it is a different sport but the sprinter Divine Oduduru is a prime example of a kid who knew he was good and was begging for an opportunity to prove he was good. Luckily for him there was a platform in Naija where scouts saw him and took a chance on him.

Now, imagine if Blessing was a footballer. He won't be given a platform (International Competition) to show his raw talent.

Pinnick would have gone to the US and Europe looking for someone that was already there or marginal at best.

When I see Esiti play, I am like whoever recommended him should be flogged. Didn't he see a tape of the guy? Would he have recommended him if he wasn't playing in Europe?

Now, contrast that with Aribo. You watch him and you are like, "now, that's a footballer..." His quality was just too obvious.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Cellular wrote:

It is not the end of the story....should never be.
If this is your conviction (and even though there might be points of disagreement, it is still worthy of debate) then we shouldn't just winge and whine like menopausal women.
This is the Cyberagles, the biggest online Nigerian football platform in the world.

What does this mean?
It means we have the power to attract attention and to influence.

Pinnick apparently comes to the UK a lot. I myself ran into him once at the Greenwich Odeon cinema a few years ago. Before I could blink, he was gone.
There are several forumers who have direct and indirect contact with him.

Let's get him in front of a camera and do a Cybereagles Exclusive.
I will guarantee the cameras, the sound and the set (location). Fabio, since you hate him so much, you are guaranteed to be on the panel. :taunt:

I have always said the CE should have long ago been a powerful voice in the Nigerian football space.

Let those that can reach out get him to agree to a full-length TV interview here in the UK.
I can guarantee it will be better than anything we have seen before.

I personally am tired of endlessly debating conjecture and sentiment and feelings.
Let's hear from the horse's mouth.

We have the pedigree within us to pull it off easily

What do you guys say? :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

fabio wrote:
Enugu II wrote: Pinnick surely has never hidden the fact that his focus is all Europe. Thor has done the same. It is wrong to claim there are no good footballers playing in Nigeria when you have not cared enough to scout them. Surely, if Rohr is enamored by guys barely playing at clubs in Europe then there are some young excellent prospects playing locally. Do not simply dismiss them or given some token attention.
This was also confirmed by SE press Officer who said.. that their line of thinking is: any good HB player will not be in the league for 2 years. If you are in the league for more than 2 years, you are not good enough.
Sadly, they want you to go to a backwater league where you might not even be paid and the same NFF won't scout you.

The NFF hasn't even done their own part in promoting local talent. You have players spotted in the youth teams by big clubs. But NFF will drop the ball.
Even when the boys are signed by foreign (EPL clubs) they don't give them the requisite number of invites for them to qualify for Work Permit. You have players who shone and were identified as up and coming talent in youth competitions even managed to get noticed and signed but NFF doesn't see it as a strategic interest to help make them eligible for attracting a permanent move. These boys end up in football wilderness and are frustrated out of the game.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
fabio wrote:
Cellular wrote:

It is not the end of the story....should never be.
If this is your conviction (and even though there might be points of disagreement, it is still worthy of debate) then we shouldn't just winge and whine like menopausal women.
This is the Cyberagles, the biggest online Nigerian football platform in the world.

What does this mean?

Pinnick apparently comes to the UK a lot. I myself ran into him once at the Greenwich Odeon cinema a few years ago. Before I could blink, he was gone.

I will guarantee the cameras, the sound and the set (location). Fabio, since you hate him so much, you are guaranteed to be on the panel. :taunt:

I have always said the CE should have long ago been a powerful voice in the Nigerian football space.

Let those that can reach out get him to agree to a full-length TV interview here in the UK.

I personally am tired of endlessly debating conjecture and sentiment and feelings.

I have access to Pinnick. But Pinnick is more of a politician than an administrator.
I don't blame him in some instances. Naijaria and Naijarians are difficult people and sometimes outrightly bad people.

He said he has tried to do the right thing and go about it the right way but he is in a results-oriented business.

That the same people who are clamouring for him to look inwards will accuse him of being an agent and will commission our cheap for sale media to start making up stories about him.

That they all want his job. And will go to any lengths to get it.

So he was like, "bros, our people are badddd... the only way I can keep my job is to keep on winning..."

Yes, it is not an easy job but I feel he can do both... but he is still seething from the Oliseh debacle. Now he insists on "if you are good, go overseas and show us..."
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
bushboy wrote:

The use of the word "cockney" in my thread is clearly tongue-in-cheek to mean our British born talents. It is NOT a racial or ethnic identifier. Tons of Nigerians have kids born in London. Igbo, Hausa, Efik, or whatever, they are all "cockney"
I'm not sure why you choose to focus on irrational arguments about ethnicity and miss the point of the thread. Our most viable talents are the ones trained in foreign academies. The time has comes to embrace that fully.
Is there a research or study to support this assertion? Any data to back this your conclusion?
Nothing formal obviously.
But note the word 'viable' which I assume he chose carefully and deliberately.
Anecdotal evidence suggests he has a point worth debating.

He is talking about those ultimately making it through to the full SE team, not the age-grade teams.
Look at the histories of the players in the current squad. Its a snapshot and supports his assertion.

It still boils down to our dysfunctional youth development system.
Is it because the current NFF Chairman is a 'WOWO' who believed that Oyinbo na Oyinbo?

On what basis is the claim that 'OUR MOST VIABLE TALENTS ARE TRAINED IN FOREIGN ACADEMIES'?

Who are the 'most viable talents' to start with? What is the selection criteria for that group?

Makes me remember the discussion about Nigerian youth players not making it big because they are age cheats!
Lets cut out the emotion and personality politics if we really want a mature debate.

If you choose to blame one man for the state of our youth development, then feel free.
But you won't be taken seriously.

So, as things stand today...where are the players most 'viable' for the full SE getting their football education?
And if, as you seem to be insisting, they are in Nigeria and are being ignored because of WOWOism, then please name such players that should be in the SE camp as we speak.

And to help you out, you can take a look at our U23 national team which is full of Nigeria-groomed players. Kindly name those of them that should be displacing the allegedly 'WOWO-enabled' current SE players.

After all, majority of the SE squad is under 25 to the point that with a few exceptions, it could even be an U23 squad itself. :idea:
Why not just answer the question

1) Who are the 'most viable talents' to start with? What is the selection criteria for that group?

2) On what basis is the claim that 'OUR MOST VIABLE TALENTS ARE TRAINED IN FOREIGN ACADEMIES'?

Answers will help us to have a nice debate.

Before ANC 2013 that Keshi won, we were told that we dont have any player in the local league worthy of wearing a SE jersey! Keshi decided to give the local players OPPORTUNITY. The result was Sunday Mbah 'the Elephant' slayer helping us to the ANC trophy.

Will Sunday Mbah fit the definition of 'most viable talent'?
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:It is not the end of the story....should never be.

What does this mean?

I don´t hate anybody. Don´t be emotional, chief.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:It is not the end of the story....should never be.

What does this mean?

I don´t hate anybody. Don´t be emotional, chief.
Mention one good thing about him if you can beso kind. It is very hard for you. :taunt:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Mention one good thing about him if you can beso kind. It is very hard for you. :taunt:
He won you over :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wanaj0 wrote:
THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED, BUT YOU'RE IGNORING THEM. SO LET ME TRY AGAIN

1) Who are the 'most viable talents' to start with? What is the selection criteria for that group?
Those that make and have made the SE 23 man squads ON MERIT in the last three years.
Feel free to disagree, WITH EXAMPLES PLEASE

2) On what basis is the claim that 'OUR MOST VIABLE TALENTS ARE TRAINED IN FOREIGN ACADEMIES'?
On the basis that the majority of our squads over the last few years have received their football 'education' overseas. Again, if you have examples of 'viable' local talents that have flourished at home and yet have not been picked ie ignored (on merit) into the SE, THEN PLEASE NAME THEM.

YOU ALREADY HAD THEM, BUT DISAGREED.

Before ANC 2013 that Keshi won, we were told that we dont have any player in the local league worthy of wearing a SE jersey!
Who said that and to whom? You cant be arguing in your local tombo joint and 6 years later start claiming that "Buhari said it, or Trump said it"
'He said, she said' doesn't count.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Keshi decided to give the local players OPPORTUNITY. The result was Sunday Mbah 'the Elephant' slayer helping us to the ANC trophy.

Mbah was one of only six local players in Keshi's 23-man squad. The other five were Oboabona, Egwueke, Agbim, Reuben and Uzoenyi. Was Keshi a 'WOWO' too?

YES!!!!! One of six given the "opportunity".
Now you tell us what happened next to our local 'viable talent.

What you don't seem to realise is that you are making bushboy's case for him but you want to argue rather than seeing it simply for what it is - POOR LOCAL TALENT DEVELOPMENT

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote: Mention one good thing about him if you can be so kind. It is very hard for you. :taunt:
He won you over :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yes.
But that aside, anything else?
Just try.... :taunt:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:Yes.
But that aside, anything else?
Just try.... :taunt:
You said ONE and I gave one :mrgreen:
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Maybe if you are less emotional we can actually have a debate.

So our 'most viable talents' are 'Those that make and have made the SE 23 man squads ON MERIT in the last three years'. Firtsly, If we have this discussion at the end of the ANC, some of the players we are salivating about now will not meet that your criteria. Unless people are given equal opportunity difficult to know what they can do. Secondly who and how do you determine those who made the SE 23 on MERIT?

Not sure I understand you and bushboy's position. It is BAD enough that we give foreign based players 'special' privilege. It is now WORSE that place of birth is now an added criteria that you and bushboy want to include in the selection criteria. So if you are not BORN abroad, you are not considered as part of our MOST VIABLE TALENT! Make una continue.
Damunk wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED, BUT YOU'RE IGNORING THEM. SO LET ME TRY AGAIN

Those that make and have made the SE 23 man squads ON MERIT in the last three years.
Feel free to disagree, WITH EXAMPLES PLEASE

On the basis that the majority of our squads over the last few years have received their football 'education' overseas. Again, if you have examples of 'viable' local talents that have flourished at home and yet have not been picked ie ignored (on merit) into the SE, THEN PLEASE NAME THEM.

YOU ALREADY HAD THEM, BUT DISAGREED.

Before ANC 2013 that Keshi won, we were told that we dont have any player in the local league worthy of wearing a SE jersey!
Who said that and to whom? You cant be arguing in your local tombo joint and 6 years later start claiming that "Buhari said it, or Trump said it"
'He said, she said' doesn't count.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Keshi decided to give the local players OPPORTUNITY. The result was Sunday Mbah 'the Elephant' slayer helping us to the ANC trophy.

Mbah was one of only six local players in Keshi's 23-man squad. The other five were Oboabona, Egwueke, Agbim, Reuben and Uzoenyi. Was Keshi a 'WOWO' too?

YES!!!!! One of six given the "opportunity".
Now you tell us what happened next to our local 'viable talent.

What you don't seem to realise is that you are making bushboy's case for him but you want to argue rather than seeing it simply for what it is - POOR LOCAL TALENT DEVELOPMENT

“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Bros Cellular,

When I was a rookie in Ebun Comets, we had a continental game in Algeria. A few of us were on the fringes, so you can imagine our consternation when some mercenaries from US College bball turned up in training.

I was already on the fringes so I knew automatically nothing for me. A few others were in the same boat and were very angry, as these guys were not even registered to be on the team. It was pure mago mago.

However, when Tunji Awojobi (he was in Boston College) at that time started playing, I knew that I was playing only joke basketball. It wasn't really my fault, as I did not have the exposure he had, but deep down in me, I realized that I just wasn't good enough and to be even close to what Tunji was, I had to quadruple my effort. Tbh seeing these guys was one of the reasons that I knew top level bball might not be for me. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So really what I am trying to say is that the likes of Iwobi, V Moses, and real high quality Nigerian foreign-born talent can only add to the team. Trust me, the true intelligent and self-aware local players that have an opportunity to train with them can only be inspired.

Honestly, I'm not as pissed with Pinnick as you guys. This is what he feels he needs to do to be successful. I don't know about a quota for local players like you suggested. Quotas and sports do not work well together. If a local player is just the best of the rest, he needs to work harder to get to a level where he cannot be ignored.

The likes of Finidi George and Amokachi did it so it's not impossible.