"NIgeria's Strength Is In Transition"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
"NIgeria's Strength Is In Transition"

Post by Damunk »

Is Another Golden Generation About to Emerge?
In the FIFA video below, Oliseh states how in hindsight our strength in those 'golden' years was "in our transition'' - from defense into ferocious attack.

I remember how Finidi on the right and Amuneke on the left would swoop like vultures onto unsuspecting defenses, with Yekini galloping down the middle and Amokachi and Okocha close behind.

I will forever recall a newspaper report when Nigeria came to Wembley in 1994 and a local British paper reported watching a SE training session. The report described how they witnessed Finidi and Amunike "thundering down the wings at frightening speed" with Coach Amodu (may he RIP) shouting "Fire! Fire!!!". :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

[/video]

Nigeria's first-ever WC goal v Bulgaria (Yekini) typifies that approach.
Actually, it has always been obvious in our youth teams who's style of play could be said to be 'unadulterated'. The Iheanacho (2013) and Osimhen (20015) sets in particular were deadly counterattacking teams with light-speed transitional play.
Maybe then, this is the "Nigerian style' people vaguely refer to.

As much as I have the greatest respect for Mikel Obi, I can see how his presence influenced a different approach which was not quite where our strength is. The team was built around him and to be honest we didn't quite have the same quality of players. It was difficult for his many fans to recognise that his style as being almost incompatible with the rapid transition approach that brought us so much joy in the past. But now he is gone, it seems more obvious. His so-called 'big man football' was just his more cerebral approach to the game and his role.

Today I see Kalu, Chukwueze and Osimhen in the exact same light as that 'frighteningly fast' attack line of 94-98, with Iwobi and Aribo just behind them. In addition, I believe they bring an additional level of trickery to the game which, if harnessed to the max would continuously win us set pieces.

[/video]

Not quite there yet but that 'Nigerian style' might be on its way back.
Brazil awaits.
Fingers crossed. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: "NIgeria's Strength Is In Transition"

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Do you have a clue what a golden generation is? My goodness calm down..With Mikel SE qualified for 3 worldcups and won Afcon ...that's what you call a successful career. You are excited about bench warmers as well as midfielders struggling for minutes at Leicester, Rangers , Stoke City, POAK, :rotf: these are your go too rightttttrr....delusional de grandeur at it's finest

None of your players are being nominated for APOY or in fact trying to win it counting almost 10 to 20 years...(Kanu last won it in 2000, 19 freaking years ago....).the closest we ever smelt that was the same Mikel who finished 2nd behind Yaya Toure , who in fact isn't a quick player.. .all the fast transition midfielders in the only league you watch (EPL)aren't even tearing up Europe...

.it's a freaking friendly for goodness sake...same friendly vs Argentina, but when a real competition pops up reality sets in we saw what happened vs Argentina and Algeria..

You are too blind to see how tactically inept this team is..well Rohrbots chooses what they see

**** is a failure you choose to ignore how clueless the guy is and you get so excited about drawing world super powers AKA Ukraine....SE will never get better under ****....Madagascar says hello
Last edited by Bigpokey24 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Mikel Obi was the worst thing to happen to Nigerian football imho by concentrating focus at the central midfield and slowing the transition. Nigeria's strength has always been SPEED + Attacking through the wings and the Ukraine game you saw two players who brought it out wide - Kalu and Chukwueze with Iwobi almost playing a support striker.

Rohr should not get carried away. The 1994 team was excellent in defense (other than Eguavoen) and its central midfield of Oliseh and Adepoju were mobile enough to cut out attacks from the middle and to link quickly with the attack. Joe Aribo is lightening quick but he left gaping holes in the middle when he joined the attack. Etebo may be a good tackler but he does not link well with the attack.

I would like to see Rohr experiment with the central midfield and the backline. I would like to see how a midfield combination of Ndidi and Aina would work. Aina to me is a far better passer of the ball than either Etebo or Ndidi and someone who can defend in less space than out wide. I would like to see Etebo played out wide as a wing back where his tackling and speed could complement the attack.

As for the backline, they are not impressive and confused too often. There needs to be alternatives tried out to Omeruo and Troost Ekong as central backs.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

^ this joker wants to play Etebo as a wingback, and aina as a DM :rotf: oh my who is this? :rotf: why not play Uzoho as an attacking midfielder and draft Iwobi as a CB to pair Ekong?
SuperEagles

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:Is Another Golden Generation About to Emerge?
In the FIFA video below, Oliseh states how in hindsight our strength in those 'golden' years was "in our transition'' - from defense into ferocious attack.

I remember how Finidi on the right and Amuneke on the left would swoop like vultures onto unsuspecting defenses, with Yekini galloping down the middle and Amokachi and Okocha close behind.

I will forever recall a newspaper report when Nigeria came to Wembley in 1994 and a local British paper reported watching a SE training session. The report described how they witnessed Finidi and Amunike "thundering down the wings at frightening speed" with Coach Amodu (may he RIP) shouting "Fire! Fire!!!". :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

[/video]

Nigeria's first-ever WC goal v Bulgaria (Yekini) typifies that approach.
Actually, it has always been obvious in our youth teams who's style of play could be said to be 'unadulterated'. The Iheanacho (2013) and Osimhen (20015) sets in particular were deadly counterattacking teams with light-speed transitional play.
Maybe then, this is the "Nigerian style' people vaguely refer to.

As much as I have the greatest respect for Mikel Obi, I can see how his presence influenced a different approach which was not quite where our strength is. The team was built around him and to be honest we didn't quite have the same quality of players. It was difficult for his many fans to recognise that his style as being almost incompatible with the rapid transition approach that brought us so much joy in the past. But now he is gone, it seems more obvious. His so-called 'big man football' was just his more cerebral approach to the game and his role.

Today I see Kalu, Chukwueze and Osimhen in the exact same light as that 'frighteningly fast' attack line of 94-98, with Iwobi and Aribo just behind them. In addition, I believe they bring an additional level of trickery to the game which, if harnessed to the max would continuously win us set pieces.

[/video]

Not quite there yet but that 'Nigerian style' might be on its way back.
Brazil awaits.
Fingers crossed. :thumb:
I was at that training session and Oloye was part of the squad. Amodu would roll the ball and Finidi would move at top speed and cross the ball, while the strikers Yekini, Siasia, Ikpeba, Ekoku, Amokachi and Mutiu will attack the ball with the coach shouting "fire, fire", he would then move to the other wing and roll the ball for Amunike to do the same. The either hit the ball or headed the ball with astounding power. The height that Mutiu climbed to head the ball was inhuman and the accuracy of the shots was unbelievable. That day I knew what top level players do in training.
I am happy
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Dammy wrote:

I was at that training session and Oloye was part of the squad. Amodu would roll the ball and Finidi would move at top speed and cross the ball, while the strikers Yekini, Siasia, Ikpeba, Ekoku, Amokachi and Mutiu will attack the ball with the coach shouting "fire, fire",
he would then move to the other wing and roll the ball for Amunike to do the same. The either hit the ball or headed the ball with astounding power. The height that Mutiu climbed to head the ball was inhuman and the accuracy of the shots was unbelievable. That day I knew what top level players do in training.
Wow. Didnt know Oloye was in that squad.
I've mentioned that specific newspaper report a few times over the years here on CE because it was so graphic. I was at the game - only my second time at Wembley on a cold November night.

[/video]

Twas a pity we lost the game but the speed at which we attacked defenses back then is what Rohr needs to optimize and I believe he has the players to do it.

Truth be told, I am not sure we had the greatest defense back in '94. Even in the Eng v Ngr highlights you can see how our defense was repeatedly opened up almost at will. The young Taribo was just coming into the team and the England game might even have been his debut. I remember the TV commentators gushing over Taribo's physique. Kanu also featured as a sub in the game and it might have been his own debut too.

Today our defense still needs positive reinforcement and if we find the players, then it looks like Balogun might be the first to go.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Correction: It seems Tribo didn't play that match and maybe it was in '96 that the commentators were admiring his physique.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Bigpokey24 wrote:^ this joker wants to play Etebo as a wingback, and aina as a DM :rotf: oh my who is this? :rotf: why not play Uzoho as an attacking midfielder and draft Iwobi as a CB to pair Ekong?
Thats why you are called big piggy. Use your brain. Victor Moses who was a striker once upon a time has played right wing, attacking midfield and wing back. The Brazilian great Cafu was a right midfielder converted to the wing back role which he made his own. Dani Alves has played everything from forward to winger to wing back. It is all about players adapting to formations to maximize team strength.

Etebo's assets are his speed, strength and defending. His major weakness is his passing range. Playing in the central midfield position has restricted his game tremendously and I think he would be better out wide as a wing back behind a more adventurous Kalu or Chukwueze.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

kali wrote:Mikel Obi was the worst thing to happen to Nigerian football imho by concentrating focus at the central midfield and slowing the transition. Nigeria's strength has always been SPEED + Attacking through the wings and the Ukraine game you saw two players who brought it out wide - Kalu and Chukwueze with Iwobi almost playing a support striker.

Rohr should not get carried away. The 1994 team was excellent in defense (other than Eguavoen) and its central midfield of Oliseh and Adepoju were mobile enough to cut out attacks from the middle and to link quickly with the attack. Joe Aribo is lightening quick but he left gaping holes in the middle when he joined the attack. Etebo may be a good tackler but he does not link well with the attack.

I would like to see Rohr experiment with the central midfield and the backline. I would like to see how a midfield combination of Ndidi and Aina would work. Aina to me is a far better passer of the ball than either Etebo or Ndidi and someone who can defend in less space than out wide. I would like to see Etebo played out wide as a wing back where his tackling and speed could complement the attack.

As for the backline, they are not impressive and confused too often. There needs to be alternatives tried out to Omeruo and Troost Ekong as central backs.
I never understood why he was allowed to play as an attacking midfielder, it killed attacks each time for us.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

The problem with Nigerians is that we tend to suffer from DELUSIONS, and when praising new talents, we insult legend. First of all, 1994 team was a legend but their highest achievement was “ANC win and R16 Wc” Mikel Obi, VM, and enyeama crew already qualified us for 3 Wc and also 1ANC and 1r16 they basically matched 1994 squad achievements. (Don’t denigrate legends) Now, we have potential superstars that can become superstars but let’s be honest, we have had similar situation in the past 10 years but none “broke the yoke” and became superstars. Do you remember after 2008 Olympics when most of you guys were raving about Obinna, Obasi, osaze, uche, adeleye calling them your new “Golden generation?? How did it end? My point is that I would not call these guys “Golden generation” until I see atleast 2/3 Global superstars and as for now, they’re just Talented players balling at MIDRATED teams in the Big 5
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:The problem with Nigerians is that we tend to suffer from DELUSIONS, and when praising new talents, we insult legend. First of all, 1994 team was a legend but their highest achievement was “ANC win and R16 Wc” Mikel Obi, VM, and enyeama crew already qualified us for 3 Wc and also 1ANC and 1r16 they basically matched 1994 squad achievements. (Don’t denigrate legends) Now, we have potential superstars that can become superstars but let’s be honest, we have had similar situation in the past 10 years but none “broke the yoke” and became superstars. Do you remember after 2008 Olympics when most of you guys were raving about Obinna, Obasi, osaze, uche, adeleye calling them your new “Golden generation?? How did it end? My point is that I would not call these guys “Golden generation” until I see atleast 2/3 Global superstars and as for now, they’re just Talented players balling at MIDRATED teams in the Big 5
You are not a golden generation until you achieve collectively and individually.
Plus the fact that each generation needs to match and even beat those GGs before them.

But looking at the quality of teams this generation of players all belong to, even by your own logic, their potential is high

Everton
Bordeaux
Udinense
Leicester
Lille
Villareal
Lagones
Torino

And many of them are still kids at the beginning of their careers on an upward trajectory.
So expect many of them to rise to even higher profile clubs.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

How can a team yet to do or win nada be classified as a golden generation....chei damunk you really aren't intelligent...I very much doubt you have any idea what the term golden generation means...kai..let me help you out

In sport, a golden generation or golden team is an exceptionally gifted group of players of similar age, whose achievements reach or are expected to reach a level of success beyond that which their team had previously achieved.
SuperEagles

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

^^^^
This guy certainly has comprehension problems.
That's what you get when you fail to get a formal education. :?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:^^^^
This guy certainly has comprehension problems.
That's what you get when you fail to get a formal education. :?
Forgot about your education, focus on the topic at head we can discuss about our educational background and occupation offline...however you had zero clue on what the term golden generation means...
SuperEagles

DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Let me add, The phrase "Golden Generation" is purely relative. So when the phrase is used, I would advise not to think of countries like Brazil & Argentina. The comparison is to previous and successive SE squads. Hope that puts it in better perspective.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

DIMKA76 wrote:Let me add, The phrase "Golden Generation" is purely relative. So when the phrase is used, I would advise not to think of countries like Brazil & Argentina. The comparison is to previous and successive SE squads. Hope that puts it in better perspective.
Educate damunk pleasen... we have only had one golden generation and that's the 94 team...every other team after that are yet to surpass them...
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:How can a team yet to do or win nada be classified as a golden generation....chei damunk you really aren't intelligent...I very much doubt you have any idea what the term golden generation means...kai..let me help you out

In sport, a golden generation or golden team is an exceptionally gifted group of players of similar age, whose achievements reach or are expected to reach a level of success beyond that which their team had previously achieved.
If only you read what you copied and paste, you would realize you already answered your question.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:

I was at that training session and Oloye was part of the squad. Amodu would roll the ball and Finidi would move at top speed and cross the ball, while the strikers Yekini, Siasia, Ikpeba, Ekoku, Amokachi and Mutiu will attack the ball with the coach shouting "fire, fire",
he would then move to the other wing and roll the ball for Amunike to do the same. The either hit the ball or headed the ball with astounding power. The height that Mutiu climbed to head the ball was inhuman and the accuracy of the shots was unbelievable. That day I knew what top level players do in training.
Wow. Didnt know Oloye was in that squad.
I've mentioned that specific newspaper report a few times over the years here on CE because it was so graphic. I was at the game - only my second time at Wembley on a cold November night.

[/video]

Twas a pity we lost the game but the speed at which we attacked defenses back then is what Rohr needs to optimize and I believe he has the players to do it.

Truth be told, I am not sure we had the greatest defense back in '94. Even in the Eng v Ngr highlights you can see how our defense was repeatedly opened up almost at will. The young Taribo was just coming into the team and the England game might even have been his debut. I remember the TV commentators gushing over Taribo's physique. Kanu also featured as a sub in the game and it might have been his own debut too.

Today our defense still needs positive reinforcement and if we find the players, then it looks like Balogun might be the first to go.
I was at Wembley that night too. There was a contrast of football culture on the terraces. While we made noise at every slick Nigeria move and got excited, the English jusr sat there until that sausage Platt scored.
It was annoying. You got the feel our boys thought it was an exhibition match while the England boys came for a win. They were second best in every every aspects of the game but carted away the victory.
Last edited by pajimoh on Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:How can a team yet to do or win nada be classified as a golden generation....chei damunk you really aren't intelligent...I very much doubt you have any idea what the term golden generation means...kai..let me help you out

If only you read what you copied and paste, you would realize you already answered your question.
Hey Cameroonian. how come you've stopped logging in as bigpokey to post ? :rotf:
SuperEagles

Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Damunk wrote:
Dammy wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Rohr's most successful period as a footballer was under the dour Aime Jacquet at Bordeaux. Fast transition and entertaining football were not in Jacquet's DNA. The same DNA at Bordeaux was replicated with the French national team at the 1998 World Cup. The French team played dourly but they became World Champions.

It is same formulae I am seeing with Rohr stewardship of the Super Eagles - dour football that brings stability and results.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

Hey Cameroonian. how come you've stopped logging in as bigpokey to post ? :rotf:
What?
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

We may be on to something. Bench warmers or not.
Nigeria needs to play Naija footie. Unpredictable and as Big Uche put it...Mysterious.

We do not thrive with slow midfielders. Any European team can counter that approach.

As for Taribo, Babanffida and Kanu, their debut was in 1994 before the World Cup. We played and lost to Sweden prior to the Mundial. 1-3. That was the last viewing of Wole Odegbami and Sunday Daniel.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

kalani JR wrote:
kali wrote:Mikel Obi was the worst thing to happen to Nigerian football imho by concentrating focus at the central midfield and slowing the transition. Nigeria's strength has always been SPEED + Attacking through the wings and the Ukraine game you saw two players who brought it out wide - Kalu and Chukwueze with Iwobi almost playing a support striker.

I never understood why he was allowed to play as an attacking midfielder, it killed attacks each time for us.
Bigmanism.

Wha choo looking at?!