ROHR AND BUILDING A TEAM WITH MORE THAN ONE SPEED

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROHR AND BUILDING A TEAM WITH MORE THAN ONE SPEED

Post by deanotito »

Watching the Ukraine game was very rewarding. There were points during the first half that the passing was simply heavenly. It was counter attacking football at its finest. Not just efficient but also skillful..in the way we Nigerians love.

But...yes there is a but. From Afcon until now, it doesn’t seem apparent to me that this team knows how to play in another gear. When you look at the possession statistics we have racked up recently, they’re just downright lopsided against us. So you have a situation where if we don’t keep scoring, the only thing we can do is give away the ball...which doesn’t work. You cannot solely defend for 45 minutes. We’re not built that way. We don’t apparently know how to hold the ball and keep possession.

In this game for instance, we were 2 goals up away from home, but it just didn’t seem that we knew how to sit on that lead. We know what we know how to do...which is counter. And that’s it.

I do think it will have to start from personnel. If we don’t have the personnel that can hold the ball and slow things down when they need to, then there’s precious little Rohr can do. In a way, the eagles seem confused when the game doesn’t offer them an opportunity to do what they do best (counter).
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
kali
Egg
Egg
Re: ROHR AND BUILDING A TEAM WITH MORE THAN ONE SPEED

Post by kali »

Dean possession is overrated. These were possession stats of World Cup Champion France last year.

FINAL: France 39% Croatia 61%
SEMI-FINAL: France 40% Belgium 60%
Q-FINAL: France 57% Uruguay 43%
ROUND-16: France 41% Argentina 59%
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kali wrote:Dean possession is overrated. These were possession stats of World Cup Champion France last year.

Can you post the possession stats of First Round drop out, Nigeria? Thanks!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

deanotito wrote:Watching the Ukraine game was very rewarding. There were points during the first half that the passing was simply heavenly. It was counter attacking football at its finest. Not just efficient but also skillful..in the way we Nigerians love.

But...yes there is a but. From Afcon until now, it doesn’t seem apparent to me that this team knows how to play in another gear. When you look at the possession statistics we have racked up recently, they’re just downright lopsided against us. So you have a situation where if we don’t keep scoring, the only thing we can do is give away the ball...which doesn’t work. You cannot solely defend for 45 minutes. We’re not built that way. We don’t apparently know how to hold the ball and keep possession.

In this game for instance, we were 2 goals up away from home, but it just didn’t seem that we knew how to sit on that lead. We know what we know how to do...which is counter. And that’s it.

I do think it will have to start from personnel. If we don’t have the personnel that can hold the ball and slow things down when they need to, then there’s precious little Rohr can do. In a way, the eagles seem confused when the game doesn’t offer them an opportunity to do what they do best (counter).
Why are you guys afraid to look at the culprit? Everything you mentioned points to one thing--- huge tactical failure. Yet, you dont want to point the hand at the thing responsible for it!

Over the last 3 years we have changed the team multiple time and there has been only one constant-- the german thing. And Nothing has changed, tactically. Yet, you guys keep looking at the players while ignoring the big rotten german elephant in the room. O pa ri o!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

kali wrote:Dean possession is overrated. These were possession stats of World Cup Champion France last year.

I don’t seek possession for its own sake. But to me, it’s one indicator of the one-speed thing I am talking about.

Let’s consider Man City...a team that I would liken Nigeria to when going forward. Man City has higher quality and also has better passing/possession. So when they need to slow it down, they can. When they need to go score another, they can do so at will. So even if they fall behind or are ahead, they’ll still win. Nigeria on the other hand, at its best, can look as breathtaking as MC going forward, but it can neither do so at will or hold possession as well. To cap it off, though you can classify our counter-attacking style as defensively-oriented, it is still not our DNA and we often lose defensive discipline at critical points in the game. So we’re not really built to sit back and soak pressure.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Possession football was the creme de la creme of football back in the Barcelona peak era of Pep Guardiola, then tiki-taka was a thing of immaculate beauty, especially when it translated to meaningful attacks and end products. Now it's just whatever, pass pass pass pass no end product, just as bland as driving a Ferrari through a dark alley.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

danfo driver wrote:
deanotito wrote:Watching the Ukraine game was very rewarding. There were points during the first half that the passing was simply heavenly. It was counter attacking football at its finest. Not just efficient but also skillful..in the way we Nigerians love.

Why are you guys afraid to look at the culprit? Everything you mentioned points to one thing--- huge tactical failure. Yet, you dont want to point the hand at the thing responsible for it!

Over the last 3 years we have changed the team multiple time and there has been only one constant-- the german thing. And Nothing has changed, tactically. Yet, you guys keep looking at the players while ignoring the big rotten german elephant in the room. O pa ri o!

Some blame, maybe. Primarily in substitutions. Some of Rohr’s sub choices exacerbate this problem rather than salve it, but to me, the real culprit is talent.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Maybe the goal was not to sit on a lead but to see how the newer players can fit into a team that for the most part is already formed except for one or 2 positions. We tend over analyze sometimes. This coach knows best. He built the team from scratch and know every player's capabilities in this team.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

1naija wrote:

Maybe the goal was not to sit on a lead but to see how the newer players can fit into a team that for the most part is already formed except for one or 2 positions. We tend over analyze sometimes. This coach knows best. He built the team from scratch and know every player's capabilities in this team.
I didn't come to this conclusion after one game
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Our defense is horrible
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

deanotito wrote:

I don’t seek possession for its own sake. But to me, it’s one indicator of the one-speed thing I am talking about.

Let’s consider Man City...a team that I would liken Nigeria to when going forward. Man City has higher quality and also has better passing/possession. So when they need to slow it down, they can. When they need to go score another, they can do so at will. So even if they fall behind or are ahead, they’ll still win. Nigeria on the other hand, at its best, can look as breathtaking as MC going forward, but it can neither do so at will or hold possession as well. To cap it off, though you can classify our counter-attacking style as defensively-oriented, it is still not our DNA and we often lose defensive discipline at critical points in the game. So we’re not really built to sit back and soak pressure.
The stats that matter is not possession but effectiveness. A team in possession can pass all day long but as long as it leads to nothing no matter. So you look at shots on goal, corners, tackles won in midfield to know how effective teams are not just holding the ball.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kali wrote:
deanotito wrote:

The stats that matter is not possession but effectiveness. A team in possession can pass all day long but as long as it leads to nothing no matter. So you look at shots on goal, corners, tackles won in midfield to know how effective teams are not just holding the ball.
KPOM.
We had more shots on goal and more shots on target despite Ukraine's 58% possession.
These same eternal whiners will happily flip the whine if/when we have greater possession but don't win the game. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Lol. Nigeria is fast becoming an Epl team with players running all over the place. So much work but the result the same.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Robotnik wrote:Lol. Nigeria is fast becoming an Epl team with players running all over the place. So much work but the result the same.
I thought that was what was being demanded ....the 'Nigerian style' of football.
No? :lol: :lol: :lol:
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Robotnik wrote:Lol. Nigeria is fast becoming an Epl team with players running all over the place. So much work but the result the same.
The reason it feels like that is the inability to diversify. When we're on, we're on. But we don't know how to change our style and be effective. So it looks to you like they're just running up and down non-stop.

If these boys camp for a while, they'll become a lot more efficient upfront. That is not the issue. The issue is that it appears that is all they know how to do...so unless we're planning to score 5 goals against any opponent, I think there is a need to work on possession.

I think back to Mourinho's first team in Chelsea. When they needed to score, they were counter-attacking gold. When they needed to sit, they were almost impenetrable. Nigeria has the first part down, but not the 2nd part.

When you really think about it, a counter-attacking team has to be a defensive team to be successful. Nigeria is a counter-attacking team, but is not a defensive team....yet
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Very simple fix. You need two HOLDING midfielders and not one and an actor. Joe Aribo and Ndidi will ensure possession. Etebo is a great and hard worker but a square peg in a round hole.

The front three are on spot. They just need to make the right passes at the right time.

The defense needs Tomori and Uduokhai and Torunarigha to challenge Emeruo, Awaziem and Ekong.

That's it.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote:
I thought that was what was being demanded ....the 'Nigerian style' of football.
No? :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is not actually "Nigerian" style football ...at least not the style of the 90s. It is exciting still, and I like it.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Possession is not always overrated. Part of our problem in the AFCON was our lack of possession put too much pressure on our defense. Also several of our counter attacks were killed by a poor final bass from Musa or a turnover from Iwobi. Having the ball for long stretches gives your defense a chance to rest and regroup.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

olu wrote:Possession is not always overrated. Part of our problem in the AFCON was our lack of possession put too much pressure on our defense. Also several of our counter attacks were killed by a poor final bass from Musa or a turnover from Iwobi. Having the ball for long stretches gives your defense a chance to rest and regroup.
Agreed. The poor final ball thing can be solved with personnel and camping....
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

nzeogwu wrote:Very simple fix. You need two HOLDING midfielders and not one and an actor. Joe Aribo and Ndidi will ensure possession. Etebo is a great and hard worker but a square peg in a round hole.

The front three are on spot. They just need to make the right passes at the right time.

The defense needs Tomori and Uduokhai and Torunarigha to challenge Emeruo, Awaziem and Ekong.

That's it.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Nzeogwu go kill persin with laff this night o.
''Actor''. Chai!. Anybody wey go carry that title, e own don finish be dat!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

deanotito wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Some blame, maybe. Primarily in substitutions. Some of Rohr’s sub choices exacerbate this problem rather than salve it, but to me, the real culprit is talent.

Peeps need to educate themselves better on the game.

The issues here are almost entirely systemic.

A pedestrian tactical organization was well evident the entire game. The team is not structured to squeeze the lines but instead isolates defenders in space.

The only way Rohr was able to PARTIALLY limit this was to badly compromise the attack at the AFCON.

The man should've been an economist, so we can say of him- on one hand...because he can only think from one side of his brain (and slooooowly) at a time!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

[/video]
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote:[/video]
Is Rohr still wearing his bronze medal in the video?
I am happy