Playing Osihmen

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kali
Egg
Egg
Playing Osihmen

Post by kali »

On further watching the video of the match my observation is that Osihmen is not a target man. He likes to run at defences and his positioning is not great. Where he was most dangerous was when Iwobi pushed up alongside him. Perhaps the best formation for this burgeoning attack would be to play a 4-4-2 with Ndidi as the DM:

------------------------ Iwobi ------------ Osihmen -------------------------

------- Kalu ------------- Aribo ------------- Ndidi ---------- Chukwueze ----

I noticed that Aribo as much as he gets into the box leaves a gaping hole when he joins the attack and does not get back. When paired with Etebo it was clear that Etebo was overwhelmed in the midfield and none of the backline pushed up to close off runs from Ukraine first through the middle then out wide. It would be interesting to see Aribo plays alongside Ndidi who is a first-rate tackler.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Playing Osihmen

Post by Bigpokey24 »

When you show us your coaching credentials we will agree Osimhen isn't a target man..smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

kali wrote:On further watching the video of the match my observation is that Osihmen is not a target man. He likes to run at defences and his positioning is not great. Where he was most dangerous was when Iwobi pushed up alongside him. Perhaps the best formation for this burgeoning attack would be to play a 4-4-2 with Ndidi as the DM:

------------------------ Iwobi ------------ Osihmen -------------------------

------- Kalu ------------- Aribo ------------- Ndidi ---------- Chukwueze ----

I noticed that Aribo as much as he gets into the box leaves a gaping hole when he joins the attack and does not get back. When paired with Etebo it was clear that Etebo was overwhelmed in the midfield and none of the backline pushed up to close off runs from Ukraine first through the middle then out wide. It would be interesting to see Aribo plays alongside Ndidi who is a first-rate tackler.
could you pls also draw sketches of flow of your monies to investments as you dream up more strategies ........
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Kali, you might be right about Victor but I think one game is too premature to make that assessment, unless you've watched him at club level and still feel the same way.
As for the MF gaps, it's the first time a few of these players are playing together. The understanding will not be what it should be. But what we can safely say is there's potential in this team. They caused a more established team all sorts of problem

My biggest moan of the match is Chukwueze. My God, for all his talent he seems to have one thing on his mind, curl the ball into the net when clearly other players are better placed to have a strike on goal. He does all the donkey work to create a scoring opportunity then spoils it with his "Lone Ranger" decisions.
Last edited by pajimoh on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Bigpokey24 wrote:When you show us your coaching credentials we will agree Osimhen isn't a target man..smh

Its amazing the kind of rubbish people post of CE after 90mins. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

pajimoh wrote:Kali, you might be right about Victor but I think one game is too premature to make that assessment, unless you've watched him at club level and still feel the same way.
As for the MF gaps, it's the first time a few of these players are playing together. The understanding will not be what it should be. But what we can safely say is there's potential in this team. They caused a more established team all sorts of problem

My biggest moan of the match is Chukwueze. My God, for all his talent he seems to have one thing on his mind, curl the ball into the net when clearly other players are better placed to have a strike on goal. He does all the donkey work to create a scoring opportunity then spoils it with his "Loan Ranger" decisions.
I have watched him since his U17 days. His style has not changed and I don't think he is a lone striker. He likes to run at defenders rather than position himself to receive the ball to score. He has to improve positioning. For example, just check all the counter-attacking plays, Chukwueze and Iwobi were further up the field from him. Thats not how you play 4-2-3-1. Contrast with Ighalo who always got into position in the final third.

One good thing about Osihmen is that he tracks back and has a good understanding with iwobi. It helps Iwobi tremendously because he is a notoriously poor defender that doesnt track back. I think their partnership will be one to watch.

About Chukwueze, incredible talent and remember he is only 20 years old. He would have scored if he had taken those shots three steps CLOSER. But he will learn.

Finally, the link play between the midfield and the attack is finally clicking. Aribo despite his defensive naivety is the mobile link Nigeria has been looking for - a midfield player who links up with the attack and can get into the box. The Ndidi-Etebo partnership was missing that. I would like to see Ndidi partner with Aribo since they theoretically complement each other better. Ndidi after all is a great defensive tackler who covers acres of space.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kali wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Kali, you might be right about Victor but I think one game is too premature to make that assessment, unless you've watched him at club level and still feel the same way.

My biggest moan of the match is Chukwueze. My God, for all his talent he seems to have one thing on his mind, curl the ball into the net when clearly other players are better placed to have a strike on goal. He does all the donkey work to create a scoring opportunity then spoils it with his "Loan Ranger" decisions.
I have watched him since his U17 days. His style has not changed and I don't think he is a lone striker. He likes to run at defenders rather than position himself to receive the ball to score. He has to improve positioning. For example, just check all the counter-attacking plays, Chukwueze and Iwobi were further up the field from him. Thats not how you play 4-2-3-1. Contrast with Ighalo who always got into position in the final third.

One good thing about Osihmen is that he tracks back and has a good understanding with iwobi. It helps Iwobi tremendously because he is a notoriously poor defender that doesnt track back. I think their partnership will be one to watch.

About Chukwueze, incredible talent and remember he is only 20 years old. He would have scored if he had taken those shots three steps CLOSER. But he will learn.

Finally, the link play between the midfield and the attack is finally clicking. Aribo despite his defensive naivety is the mobile link Nigeria has been looking for - a midfield player who links up with the attack and can get into the box. The Ndidi-Etebo partnership was missing that. I would like to see Ndidi partner with Aribo since they theoretically complement each other better. Ndidi after all is a great defensive tackler who covers acres of space.
Everything you say sounds really credible.
My only concern is what you term Aribo's "defensive naivety".
Is this based on other matches of his you've watched or this one game?

It's frustrating for those of us that never got to watch the full game and are making do with extended highlights, none of which seem to feature much of Aribo apart from his goal and his near-miss header.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Well Said PJ
As for Chukwueze's decision making, "Na Me Score Am" is still affecting our sports. Seeking glory for oneself at the expense of the team.
America got rid of that mentality in Sports decades ago when they gave as much credit to the ASSIST as much as the SCORER. The TEAM mentality got much stronger ( Together Everyone Achieves More ).
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

pajimoh wrote: My biggest moan of the match is Chukwueze. My God, for all his talent he seems to have one thing on his mind, curl the ball into the net when clearly other players are better placed to have a strike on goal. He does all the donkey work to create a scoring opportunity then spoils it with his "Lone Ranger" decisions.
What do you expect, he's a Robben stan, he's basically trying to duplicate what Robben used to do with those curlers, except when Robben was selfish he would actually hit the target more often than not.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Bigpokey24 wrote:When you show us your coaching credentials we will agree Osimhen isn't a target man..smh
Kali is right. Osimhen is not strong enough to hold the ball up. He was repeatedly shoved off the ball when he had his back to goal. The Ukrainians would never have been able to do that to Ighalo, Emenike, Agali or Yekini.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Yes Osihmen likes to run with the ball. He is not a box operator like Ighalo. But he has enough pace and he is a much better player than old Ighalo if we are playing on the counter. His decision-making is second only to Iwobi among all the attacking players we have.
If we are going to play a solid defence with a counterattacking style, Osihmen is a damn good option to have. I like his play a lot.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Its interesting how we read and interpret sha..What read from Kali is simply that Oshimen while great needs to improve his positioning.

Shikena, and remember the young man is young and WILL improve so maybe this might just be one of the areas he will need to work on, I am sure there are more.

That does not change the fact that at the mom , he is definitely our best striking option....note that I said at the moment.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Siddonlook11 wrote:Its interesting how we read and interpret sha..What read from Kali is simply that Oshimen while great needs to improve his positioning.

Shikena, and remember the young man is young and WILL improve so maybe this might just be one of the areas he will need to work on, I am sure there are more.

That does not change the fact that at the mom , he is definitely our best striking option....note that I said at the moment.
Tbh, I think it will be for a long time to come.
I just pray he continues on this his upward trajectory.
John Ogu predicted that Osimhen will "break the highest Nigerian transfer figures" in 4-5 years.
I don't doubt him.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "