Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:53 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 9579
Location: loughborough.
Drama, controversy as Falcons fail to qualify for Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Quote:
The Nigeria women national team, Super Falcons’ hope of moving to the next round of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games African qualifying series was dashed yesterday by Cote D’Ivoire, who held the team to a 1- 1 draw at the Agege Township Stadium, Lagos.
The Cote d’Ivoire team, who held the Super Falcons to a 0-0 draw in the first leg of the tie, opened scoring 10 minutes into the game through a nice free kick taken at the edge of Nigeria’s 18-yard box.

After the goal, the Ivoirians continued to pile pressure on the Nigerian side, but Super Falcons’ new captain, Asisat Oshoala capitalized on a fast break from the midfield to get the equaliser in the 40th minute.

When fans thought the Falcons will go on to win the tie on aggregate, their Ivoirians dug in and repelled everything the Nigerians threw at them until the final whistle. And then drama ensued.

The match officials, who were not sure if the away goals rule applied in the encounter, attempted to order a penalty shoot out.

For over 30 minutes, the Nigerian and Cote d’Ivoire players and officials were on the pitch waiting for the final decision of the centre referee to either signal extra time or follow the away goal rules.

The match commissioner had to make numerous calls before the match was awarded to Cote d’Ivoire, who started jubilating, while the Falcons walked out of the pitch disappointed.

According to reports, CAF and FIFA rules conflicted on games tied like yesterdays.

Speaking on the Falcons loss, NFF Vice President, Seyi Akinwunmi confirmed that the away goal rules had been applied to give the Ivoirians the game.

“The Ivoirians have won. If we had scored the second goal, it would have been our day. But notwithstanding the result, the NFF will keep making the team stronger the best way we can.

“Currently the Super Eagles are in Camp in Singapore, where they will start training tomorrow.

“Coach Rohr has started mapping out a strategy for the tie, which will give the Nigerian players and coaches an insight into the standard of the team. I cannot talk on the Super Falcons’ foreign coach because it is an official matter,” he said.

https://guardian.ng/sport/drama-controv ... -olympics/


Rather unfortunate, for the falcons!

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 22485
Location: Ukwuani
Certainly we are not good enough to qualify for the Olympics. In two legs, we couldn't put the Ivorians away? I think we are very bad, indeed

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 pm
Posts: 4987
Location: London
If we are honest, this NFF probably ranks among the worst. The appalling state of home based eagles , poor performances of youth teams and the absolute disarray surrounding the Falcons team (some key players banned from the national team for protesting, Dennerby situation etc). Only the SE are doing OK albeit nothing special.

_________________
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:03 pm
Posts: 26176
Location: The Kingdom
Zelex wrote:
If we are honest, this NFF probably ranks among the worst. The appalling state of home based eagles , poor performances of youth teams and the absolute disarray surrounding the Falcons team (some key players banned from the national team for protesting, Dennerby situation etc). Only the SE are doing OK albeit nothing special.


I hope people can see the difference between Maigari who worked hard for all our teams (SE, Youth, CHAN Eagles, Falcons etc) and Pinnick whose only concern is the SE and the international travel that comes with it. We are in trouble.

_________________
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 9579
Location: loughborough.
Lolly wrote:
Zelex wrote:
If we are honest, this NFF probably ranks among the worst. The appalling state of home based eagles , poor performances of youth teams and the absolute disarray surrounding the Falcons team (some key players banned from the national team for protesting, Dennerby situation etc). Only the SE are doing OK albeit nothing special.


I hope people can see the difference between Maigari who worked hard for all our teams (SE, Youth, CHAN Eagles, Falcons etc) and Pinnick whose only concern is the SE and the international travel that comes with it. We are in trouble.

Unfortunately, those who are supposed to talk are silent, because they are on Pinnick payroll. Whilst Pinnick, new found friends on CE will be quiet as well.

Pinnick is is worst NFF chairman ever, like a journalist friend said over the weekend ¨i have never met someone so vacuous as Pinnick¨ in order words using CE lingo Empty Suit.

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 9797
Falcons have not qualified for the Olympics since 2008 but have continued to win the African championships and qualify for the world cup. It seems we've dropped the ball when it comes to the Olympics and this happened long before Pinnick assumed office. This is despite CAF slots being increased to 2 teams.

_________________
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:47 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 9579
Location: loughborough.
Orion wrote:
Falcons have not qualified for the Olympics since 2008 but have continued to win the African championships and qualify for the world cup. It seems we've dropped the ball when it comes to the Olympics and this happened long before Pinnick assumed office. This is despite CAF slots being increased to 2 teams.

So Pinnick met a ¨failure¨ and he continued with the ¨failure¨. We are supposed to progressing not stagnating. Find a better excuse, please!!

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:39 am
Posts: 17603
The same people cheering when the coach was frustrated out a few ago are now blaming the nff. You can’t win because you’re Nigeria, you win because you’re prepared.

_________________
OCCUPY NFF!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:43 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 9797
fabio wrote:
Orion wrote:
Falcons have not qualified for the Olympics since 2008 but have continued to win the African championships and qualify for the world cup. It seems we've dropped the ball when it comes to the Olympics and this happened long before Pinnick assumed office. This is despite CAF slots being increased to 2 teams.

So Pinnick met a ¨failure¨ and he continued with the ¨failure¨. We are supposed to progressing not stagnating. Find a better excuse, please!!

Not an excuse, just an observation. It is an unusual failure (considering they kept winning the African cup) that precedes Pinnick and certainly needs to be looked into.

_________________
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 48857
Odas wrote:
Certainly we are not good enough to qualify for the Olympics. In two legs, we couldn't put the Ivorians away? I think we are very bad, indeed
...men and women teams very bad. The football administration very bad too.
This is what Colin Udoh wrote on espn site;


Immediate reactions to the elimination focused largely on the lack of league action for players. The Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) has been on a forced break since concluding with a six-team playoff in June, meaning 18 of the 24 clubs have seen no competitive action in nearly half a year.

Not that the season before was any better. The league ended prematurely after 24 rounds of games, following a two-month break for the FIFA World Cup; no champions were declared but Lobi Stars were picked as the nation's CAF Champions League representatives.


https://global.espn.com/football/wafu-c ... re-straits

What kind of country will succeed in any sport with this kind shambolic behavior? When you talk dem collaborating thieves go say you too dey complain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:39 pm
Posts: 1835
Location: New York
Sunday Dare vows to probe Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games miss

Image

The African champions failed to qualify for the quadrennial tournament for the third consecutive time
Nigeria's Sports Minister Sunday Dare has disclosed that he will dig into what led to the country's exit from the Africa Women's Olympic Qualifiers against Cote d'Ivoire.

Kapho Nani fired Clementine Toure's side ahead in the 12th minute but Asisat Oshoala levelled 16 minutes from half time to ensure the teams played out a 1-1 draw at Agege Stadium, Lagos on Monday.

Following a 0-0 first-leg draw in Abidjan, the 1-1 result on aggregate means the Super Falcons bowed out of the qualification series on the third consecutive attempt, on away goals.

The disappointed Minister has assured he would launch an inquiry into the cause of the team's exit, including the circumstance surrounding Thomas Dennerby's alleged resignation.


"Our Super Falcons, unfortunately, failed to secure a ticket to the Olympics even though they were gallant," Dare posted via his Twitter handle.

"This offers an opportunity to dig into what led to this failure and to take proactive steps for the future and Nigeria’s football administration."

Olympic qualifiers: Our Super Falcons unfortunately failed to secure a ticket to the Olympics even though they were galant. This offers an opportunity to dig into what led to this failure and to take proactive steps for the future and Nigeria’s football administration.

— Sunday Dare (@SundayDareSD) October 7, 2019

In September, Dare had intervened in the alleged contractual issues between the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and Dennerby, but the latter refused to return to his post.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/super-falc ... ml4de7oc2k


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 38687
Location: Somewhere
Picnic..... :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:

_________________
Image
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:03 pm
Posts: 26176
Location: The Kingdom
mcal wrote:
Odas wrote:
Certainly we are not good enough to qualify for the Olympics. In two legs, we couldn't put the Ivorians away? I think we are very bad, indeed
...men and women teams very bad. The football administration very bad too.
This is what Colin Udoh wrote on espn site;


Immediate reactions to the elimination focused largely on the lack of league action for players. The Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) has been on a forced break since concluding with a six-team playoff in June, meaning 18 of the 24 clubs have seen no competitive action in nearly half a year.

Not that the season before was any better. The league ended prematurely after 24 rounds of games, following a two-month break for the FIFA World Cup; no champions were declared but Lobi Stars were picked as the nation's CAF Champions League representatives.


https://global.espn.com/football/wafu-c ... re-straits

What kind of country will succeed in any sport with this kind shambolic behavior? When you talk dem collaborating thieves go say you too dey complain.


There is only one person to blame for all this shambles. He is usually seen in faraway and exotic London and Johannesburg.

_________________
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 29809
Here's my thoughts on a different thread yesterday....
The SPINE of the team (CD Onome, MD Chekwelu, CF Oparanozie) was gutted and the coaches changed.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=294709&start=23

Gotti wrote:
JACKAL wrote:
We just failed to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics

Is anyone really surprised? :blink:

Several senior players (including WWC 2019 skipper Desire Oparanozie, Onome Ebi, Rita Chikeluba, etc.) were blacklisted and prohibited from being called-up by the NFF for reportedly leading the protest for the payment of the Falcons’ unpaid allowances and bonuses, and the assistant coaches fired (apparently for being sympathetic towards the protests), causing the substantive coach Tom Dennerby to excuse himself and stay away from this qualifier, and resulting in the hurried appointment of Chris Danjuma as caretaker coach of an NFF-selected squad. You reap what you sow!

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 29809
Orion wrote:
Falcons have not qualified for the Olympics since 2008 but have continued to win the African championships and qualify for the world cup. It seems we've dropped the ball when it comes to the Olympics and this happened long before Pinnick assumed office. This is despite CAF slots being increased to 2 teams.

We Nigerians just love to chase shadows... :oops:

We all know what destabilized the team, but prefer to embark on history lessons..
Players were blacklisted for asking for their dues, and coaches were fired for supporting them. QED!
>

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 22485
Location: Ukwuani
iworo wrote:
Sunday Dare vows to probe Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games miss

Image

The African champions failed to qualify for the quadrennial tournament for the third consecutive time
Nigeria's Sports Minister Sunday Dare has disclosed that he will dig into what led to the country's exit from the Africa Women's Olympic Qualifiers against Cote d'Ivoire.

Kapho Nani fired Clementine Toure's side ahead in the 12th minute but Asisat Oshoala levelled 16 minutes from half time to ensure the teams played out a 1-1 draw at Agege Stadium, Lagos on Monday.

Following a 0-0 first-leg draw in Abidjan, the 1-1 result on aggregate means the Super Falcons bowed out of the qualification series on the third consecutive attempt, on away goals.

The disappointed Minister has assured he would launch an inquiry into the cause of the team's exit, including the circumstance surrounding Thomas Dennerby's alleged resignation.


"Our Super Falcons, unfortunately, failed to secure a ticket to the Olympics even though they were gallant," Dare posted via his Twitter handle.

"This offers an opportunity to dig into what led to this failure and to take proactive steps for the future and Nigeria’s football administration."

Olympic qualifiers: Our Super Falcons unfortunately failed to secure a ticket to the Olympics even though they were galant. This offers an opportunity to dig into what led to this failure and to take proactive steps for the future and Nigeria’s football administration.

— Sunday Dare (@SundayDareSD) October 7, 2019

In September, Dare had intervened in the alleged contractual issues between the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and Dennerby, but the latter refused to return to his post.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/super-falc ... ml4de7oc2k

Oh, so coach Dennerby already resigned from the position of coaching our ladies? Hmm. Maybe that was why we did not qualify

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 22485
Location: Ukwuani
Gotti wrote:
Orion wrote:
Falcons have not qualified for the Olympics since 2008 but have continued to win the African championships and qualify for the world cup. It seems we've dropped the ball when it comes to the Olympics and this happened long before Pinnick assumed office. This is despite CAF slots being increased to 2 teams.

We Nigerians just love to chase shadows... :oops:

We all know what destabilized the team, but prefer to embark on history lessons..
Players were blacklisted for asking for their dues, and coaches were fired for supporting them. QED!
>

... and that's why we didn't qualify. Even a one day old baby knew that was why we failed. What else is there to probe/investigate?

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 22485
Location: Ukwuani
... but how do you suspend players for asking, or demanding for their monies? No team or player should be asking for his/her entitlement. Payments of such should be automatic

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:29 pm
Posts: 528
You reap what you sow!
The sad thing here is that NFF could care less if the ladies qualified or not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 38687
Location: Somewhere
Gotti wrote:
Orion wrote:
Falcons have not qualified for the Olympics since 2008 but have continued to win the African championships and qualify for the world cup. It seems we've dropped the ball when it comes to the Olympics and this happened long before Pinnick assumed office. This is despite CAF slots being increased to 2 teams.

We Nigerians just love to chase shadows... :oops:

We all know what destabilized the team, but prefer to embark on history lessons..
Players were blacklisted for asking for their dues, and coaches were fired for supporting them. QED!
>



the lover of shiny European things....Picnic...what a disaster of a so-called enlightened man.

_________________
Image
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am
Posts: 4395
It's not like they will medal anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 82797
Location: Earth
They won't be missed

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 29809
Benedict Iroha wrote:
It's not like they will medal anyway.

Exactly! Unlike the sprinters we send every time.......oh wait :oops:

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eaglezbeak, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group