Who's our most high profile most instantly recognised player

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Who's our most high profile most instantly recognised player

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Alex Iwobi
[2] Wilfred Ndidi
[3] Samuel Chukwueze
[4] Victor Osimhen

I would go for Iwobi because of his time at Arsenal. Even though Arsenal never win anything on the green grass, the club is a well know global brand.

However, the longer Iwobi stays at Everton, the more obscure he will become. We need someone to fill that vacuum.

Nigeria always has at least one iconic player like Keshi, Okocha, Kanu, Taribo, Osaze or Mikel. I reckon that in Singapore, all the fans will recognise Iwobu and very few of the other players.

Over the course of the season, I would like to see Chukwueze or Osimhen in particular grow into superstars. To be honest, they are never going to be globally revered like say mane, Salah, Mahrez, Aubemeyang of Keita until they move to bigger clubs.

It does not speak well of Nigerian football for us not to have a player who is a global icon. Iheanacho was on the verge of achieving this but alas, the boy just burnt himself out.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: Who's our most high profile most instantly recognised pl

Post by kalani JR »

When was Osaze iconic, I'm not sure most non African football fans recognized Keshi either.

Our most recognizable players have always been the ones who played for the big teams.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Level 1: Okocha, Kanu, Mikel
Level 2: Finidi, Yekini, Taribo, Amokachi
Level 3: Enyeama, Amuneke, Yobo

Current Squad:
Ndidi (L3), Iwobi (L3)
Chikwueze, Osimhen, Kanu soon to enter chart

Just an opinion...
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Damunk wrote:Level 1: Okocha, Kanu, Mikel
Level 2: Finidi, Yekini, Taribo, Amokachi
Level 3: Enyeama, Amuneke, Yobo

Current Squad:
Ndidi (L3), Iwobi (L3)
Chikwueze, Osimhen, Kanu soon to enter chart

Just an opinion...

Hmmmmm. So na Level Three we dey now?

In 1998, however, Taribo West was arguably the most recognisable Nigeria player on earth. He was playing for Inter Milan with those his famous dreadlocks and was arguably the world's best man-marker.

Other players who need to up their game big time include Uzoho, Ebuehi, Collins, Ekong, Ajayi, Aribo and Onyekuru. We should be looking to go to Qatar 2022 with two or three world class players.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

kalani JR wrote:When was Osaze iconic, I'm not sure most non African football fans recognized Keshi either.

Our most recognizable players have always been the ones who played for the big teams.

Osaze was a Champions League player with Lille. He also lit up the English Premiership with WBA, picking up several Player of the Month awards.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Its between Iwobi and Ndidi. Largely due to the popularity and visibility of the EPL.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Obong wrote:Its between Iwobi and Ndidi. Largely due to the popularity and visibility of the EPL.

None of them is really high profile enough in my opinion. Aiyegbeni, Martins and Babayaro had highers profiles than both of them.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

kalani JR wrote:When was Osaze iconic, I'm not sure most non African football fans recognized Keshi either.

You think? One of the few African Players to CAPTAIN an European club. Maybe you need to go back to when Private Jet was stationed to fly Keshi back to his club after ANC matches :thumbs:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] Alex Iwobi
[2] Wilfred Ndidi
[3] Samuel Chukwueze
[4] Victor Osimhen

I would go for Iwobi because of his time at Arsenal. Even though Arsenal never win anything on the green grass, the club is a well know global brand.

However, the longer Iwobi stays at Everton, the more obscure he will become. We need someone to fill that vacuum.

Nigeria always has at least one iconic player like Keshi, Okocha, Kanu, Taribo, Osaze or Mikel. I reckon that in Singapore, all the fans will recognise Iwobu and very few of the other players.

Over the course of the season, I would like to see Chukwueze or Osimhen in particular grow into superstars. To be honest, they are never going to be globally revered like say mane, Salah, Mahrez, Aubemeyang of Keita until they move to bigger clubs.

It does not speak well of Nigerian football for us not to have a player who is a global icon. Iheanacho was on the verge of achieving this but alas, the boy just burnt himself out.
Nwakali :thumbs:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Mak was a grade A level 1 player. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »