Nigeria 1-1 Brazil (FT) Int. Friendly/Learning Experience

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria 1-1 Brazil (FT) Int. Friendly/Learning Experienc

Post by pajimoh »

I would like to read Brazilian journos take on the match. Our own fans are denigrating our performance
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

pajimoh wrote:I would like to read Brazilian journos take on the match. Our own fans are denigrating our performance
...as usual, win lose or draw, dem no like.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

ohenhen1 wrote:It is a friendly and Brazil was not really in full gear. But overall good game.
...saw the match, they were in the last gear, huffing and puffing.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigeria will be back to square once they start looking for a new coach, hopefully we make the next Afcon and qualify to the World Cup with their next coach or two.
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

metalalloy wrote:This was a much better defensive performance than the Ukraine game where we were cut through time and time again by 1 pass. I see now the refrain has changed to "them hit bar" :lol: :lol: . We were promised that "against better opponents" we would not get away with miscues, abi Brazil is not one of those better team?
Some of you clowns behave as if we should never get attacked. :lol: Unless you are blind or simply daft, the way Rohr organizes his team is to sit back, soak up pressure and counter, Of course we will get attacked. Whether you like it or not, that is how he wants his team to play. If you think you can do a better job, submit your CV, otherwise quit whining like a Christmas goat and watch your team like the clueless fan that you are.

This team is good. We need to shore up a few areas, particularly the LB, RB , CF (once Osimhen is taken off) and a sub for Iwobi once he goes off or has an off day . Once they get more consistent on how they break on the counter, this team can be a force to reckon with.
I remember that quote from several ITKs after the Ukraine game. They can't say that today cos like you said, who comes better than Brazil?

Bottom line is, like I've always said, the majority of our fans haven't got the liver to go thru a transition process and if they're not calling and cursing for the sack of the coach, they're calling for the chopping and changing of the players - all at the drop of a hat.

Iwobi was "world class" v Ukraine.....see what they're saying about him today after a bad day at the office. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

cchinukw wrote:Only the most disingenuous fan will look at this performance with any hint of positivity.

I mean look at the bloody stats and compare with our learning experience over 2 tournaments. Wtf has changed?

Absolutely nothing!

They had 20 shots on target. We had 9. We couldn't even keep a clean sheet after scoring first.

Goodluck with making an impact in any future competitions.

We ain't going nowhere near a trophy with our lifelong learning coach in charge.

:???: :???: :???: :???:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
airwolex wrote:For me the best players

Aribo - Gaddemit this cockney boy can ball. One of those players that glides around. His first goal was pure class

Awaziem - Honestly this guy is a pure baller. I'd like to see him in CD and perhaps Aina moving to RB. I believe he is better than Ajayi.

Uzoho - He has improved a lot. Love his confidence

Chukwueze - He wan kill dem for the first half but then got sorted in the second half

Osimhen - Pure hustler

Worst performers

Collins - Gabriel took his soul
Iwobi - Too many giveaways
Ajayi - Didn't do anything wrong but I expected him to dominate more aerially. The guy got beaten too many times

I'm sorry Onuachu should not be playing for us... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I agree with the above. Omeruo and even Balogun should def keep Ajayi deep on the bench. As for Chukwueze, they dropped a midfielder and even a striker to provide help to the left back in the second half. Heck they even switched the CB on his side because of the problems he caused. rohr suppose adjust to those moves as he seemed to be a big part of our attack. They continually fed the ball to him.
The same Ajayi that saved our bacon with that goal line clearance? OK !
Ajayi was one of our best players today, winning many headers and interceptions.
Collins had a hit and miss game, despite being beaten a few times, he made vital interceptions.
Aribo is a class act and should be in the EPL next season. His vision and movement were top notch and he took his goal with aplomb.
Uzoho has finally come of age, what we need is a top quality back-up for him
Ekong was solid but had a few rash clearances and missed passes
Awaziem continued from where he left off at AFCON. Top quality player
What are we going to do about Iwobi? He gave away too many balls, easily outmuscled off the ball and looks dead on his feet. By now he should be dominating the SE midfield but even his place in the starting XI is not assured.
Osimhen was a handful all throughout the match and forced Ederson into 2 good saves. We have finally found a top quality international striker.
Simon Moses despite the assist was a huge downgrade on Samuel Kalu and offered little or nothing in attack or defence.
Chukwueze was a handful for the Brazilians in the first half and spent more time in defensive duties in the 2nd half. He only sparked back to life when Dennis came on.
Ndidi was a boss in the middle of the park, breaking up many Brazilian attacks but seem to tire off towards the end of the game.
It was a solid performance against the South American champions and if we could get hold of a couple of solid midfielders, the SE will be difficult to beat.
The SE seem to be gradually improving with the addition of better players and players moving to better leagues. It's still a work in progress.

Yes that very same Ajayi. He was beaten several times in the air and his positioning was off as a CB on several occasions, and he also gave away the ball like you accused Ekong, who most certainly had a better game than him. Again, he is a good squad player, but Omeruo and Balogun have nothing to fear from him.
You are in a minority regarding your opinion about Ajayi in today's match. All Nigerian football online outlets have rated him highly, a lot voted for him as our best defender. Visit ratings at owngoalnigeria, completesportsnigeria, football 360 etc.
Complete sports rates him the same as Ekong which I insist is too high. Goal's rating is more in line with what I saw.

#4 Semi Ajayi: 5.5/10

Solid performance from the West Brom man. Gave the ball away on a few sorties forward, and rightly got his ear chewed off. However, when he kept it simple and focused on his defensive fundamentals, he was strong in the tackle and largely attentive in position (except on one occasion in particular). His partnership with Ekong looks a promising one.
https://www.goal.com/en-ng/lists/player ... qsfys73gul

Go back and look at the highlights and you can even see some of the miscues, even in the goal we conceded, he was beaten in the air once again. He is not bad, but at best is a squad player behind Omeruo and Balogun IMO.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

txj wrote:
cchinukw wrote:Only the most disingenuous fan will look at this performance with any hint of positivity.

I mean look at the bloody stats and compare with our learning experience over 2 tournaments. Wtf has changed?

Absolutely nothing!

They had 20 shots on target. We had 9. We couldn't even keep a clean sheet after scoring first.

We ain't going nowhere near a trophy with our lifelong learning coach in charge.

:???: :???: :???: :???:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Some things you read and keep moving oh...
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Aribo - Gaddemit this cockney boy can ball. One of those players that glides around. His first goal was pure class

Awaziem - Honestly this guy is a pure baller. I'd like to see him in CD and perhaps Aina moving to RB. I believe he is better than Ajayi.

Chukwueze - He wan kill dem for the first half but then got sorted in the second half

Osimhen - Pure hustler

Worst performers

Ajayi - Didn't do anything wrong but I expected him to dominate more aerially. The guy got beaten too many times

I'm sorry Onuachu should not be playing for us... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I agree with the above. Omeruo and even Balogun should def keep Ajayi deep on the bench. As for Chukwueze, they dropped a midfielder and even a striker to provide help to the left back in the second half. Heck they even switched the CB on his side because of the problems he caused. rohr suppose adjust to those moves as he seemed to be a big part of our attack. They continually fed the ball to him.
Ajayi was one of our best players today, winning many headers and interceptions.
Collins had a hit and miss game, despite being beaten a few times, he made vital interceptions.
Aribo is a class act and should be in the EPL next season. His vision and movement were top notch and he took his goal with aplomb.
What are we going to do about Iwobi? He gave away too many balls, easily outmuscled off the ball and looks dead on his feet. By now he should be dominating the SE midfield but even his place in the starting XI is not assured.
Osimhen was a handful all throughout the match and forced Ederson into 2 good saves. We have finally found a top quality international striker.
Simon Moses despite the assist was a huge downgrade on Samuel Kalu and offered little or nothing in attack or defence.
Chukwueze was a handful for the Brazilians in the first half and spent more time in defensive duties in the 2nd half. He only sparked back to life when Dennis came on.
Ndidi was a boss in the middle of the park, breaking up many Brazilian attacks but seem to tire off towards the end of the game.
It was a solid performance against the South American champions and if we could get hold of a couple of solid midfielders, the SE will be difficult to beat.
The SE seem to be gradually improving with the addition of better players and players moving to better leagues. It's still a work in progress.

Yes that very same Ajayi. He was beaten several times in the air and his positioning was off as a CB on several occasions, and he also gave away the ball like you accused Ekong, who most certainly had a better game than him. Again, he is a good squad player, but Omeruo and Balogun have nothing to fear from him.
You are in a minority regarding your opinion about Ajayi in today's match. All Nigerian football online outlets have rated him highly, a lot voted for him as our best defender. Visit ratings at owngoalnigeria, completesportsnigeria, football 360 etc.
Complete sports rates him the same as Ekong which I insist is too high. Goal's rating is more in line with what I saw.

Solid performance from the West Brom man. Gave the ball away on a few sorties forward, and rightly got his ear chewed off. However, when he kept it simple and focused on his defensive fundamentals, he was strong in the tackle and largely attentive in position (except on one occasion in particular). His partnership with Ekong looks a promising one.

Go back and look at the highlights and you can even see some of the miscues, even in the goal we conceded, he was beaten in the air once again. He is not bad, but at best is a squad player behind Omeruo and Balogun IMO.
Yep, Ekong chewed his ear off for those plays, he did the same vs Ukraine and lost the ball also, I'm not sure what he was thinking.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Osimhen - Pure hustler

Worst performers

This is Brazil we are talking about, with some of the most fearful strikers in the world. IMO, Ajayi, had a very good game and being beaten once or twice against the awesome Brazilian attack, takes nothing away from him. Show me a defender in the world that will win all challenges against a team as strong as Brazil, then I will keep quiet.
Compare his performance to that of £80 million Harry Maguire and his multi million pound fellow defenders against unknown Czechs including a 30 year old debutant who ran rings around them puts Ajayi's performance against Brazil in proper perspective.
Even the highly rated Maquinhus and Thiago Silva were beaten to balls and misplaced some passes during the game and I don't understand why Ajayi has to score 100% before being rated.
I am happy
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Osimhen - Pure hustler

Worst performers

This is Brazil we are talking about, with some of the most fearful strikers in the world. IMO, Ajayi, had a very good game and being beaten once or twice against the awesome Brazilian attack, takes nothing away from him. Show me a defender in the world that will win all challenges against a team as strong as Brazil, then I will keep quiet.
Compare his performance to that of £80 million Harry Maguire and his multi million pound fellow defenders against unknown Czechs including a 30 year old debutant who ran rings around them puts Ajayi's performance against Brazil in proper perspective.
Even the highly rated Maquinhus and Thiago Silva were beaten to balls and misplaced some passes during the game and I don't understand why Ajayi has to score 100% before being rated.
m

Kpom !!!!some football fans don’t know how to read the game ....... all the players put in a shift we just need Iwobi & Chuk to make better decisions when in procession. The players that don’t belong have shown themselves.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Dammy wrote: This is Brazil we are talking about, with some of the most fearful strikers in the world. IMO, Ajayi, had a very good game and being beaten once or twice against the awesome Brazilian attack, takes nothing away from him. Show me a defender in the world that will win all challenges against a team as strong as Brazil, then I will keep quiet.
He does not, the highlighted is not an statement I made. He was rated, but rated about average. He has played two games in a row for Nigeria and was error prone in both. I simply said that between the three options, (Balogun, Ajayi and Omeruo) he is third of my list. You are free to disagree.

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

pajimoh wrote:I would like to read Brazilian journos take on the match. Our own fans are denigrating our performance
Disappointed and wondering if they should fire the coach.
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

We are seriously "peppered" by Brazil :P :P
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Senator WIRES wrote:We are seriously "peppered" by Brazil :P :P
Dominated, but not peppered
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

metalalloy wrote:
Dammy wrote: This is Brazil we are talking about, with some of the most fearful strikers in the world. IMO, Ajayi, had a very good game and being beaten once or twice against the awesome Brazilian attack, takes nothing away from him. Show me a defender in the world that will win all challenges against a team as strong as Brazil, then I will keep quiet.
He does not, the highlighted is not an statement I made. He was rated, but rated about average. He has played two games in a row for Nigeria and was error prone in both. I simply said that between the three options, (Balogun, Ajayi and Omeruo) he is third of my list. You are free to disagree.
Let's agree to disagree. Oluwasemilogo IMO was a colossus against Brazil. The evidence before my eyes that has watched football for over 40 years is enough for me.
I am happy
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Absolutely nothing!

What exactly were you expecting? :?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

theYemster wrote:

Absolutely nothing!

To flog this Brazilian team without Neymar for most of the match.

Unlike you, I expect my SE team to play to win. Not turn up to learn!
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Not that it matters, but Ukraine (a team we nearly beat last month) just beat a Ronaldo led Portugal in the Euros 2020 qualifiers, they qualified from their group unbeaten... I know it was just a friendly when we met them... but in context, it still showed our team can on their day hang with some of the best teams in the world.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

cchinukw wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Absolutely nothing!

Ol boy, no one can ever acuse you of having realistic expectations.

Did you watch copa America? This same Brazil didnt need Neymar to trash most of South Americas big teams. And even when Neymar was injured, Coutinho stepped in and was the best player on the field for the rest of the game.

You expecting Nigeria to flog Brazil is just nonsensical.
Just saying.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

cchinukw wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Absolutely nothing!

Flog?

Even without Neymar they had Continuo, Firminho, Jesus, Casemiro, Richarlison, Dani Alves, Ederson, Fabinho and Thiago Silva, all of whom position for position are arguably more established players than any of ours. Also don't forget they're currently both Olympic and Copa America champs.

Does that mean we couldn't/shouldn't try to win regardless? No. But you need to match your expectation with realty not hubris. Barely two years ago we couldn't qualify for back to back AFCONs, not to mention we were missing a few players as well including Uzoho which rightfully would make them more cautious knowing Okoye is playing his first game. Couldn't risk exposing him.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

theYemster wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Absolutely nothing!

Flog?

Even without Neymar they had Continuo, Firminho, Jesus, Casemiro, Richarlison, Dani Alves, Ederson, Fabinho and Thiago Silva, all of whom position for position are arguably more established players than any of ours. Also don't forget they're currently both Olympic and Copa America champs.

Does that mean we couldn't/shouldn't try to win regardless? No. But you need to match your expectation with realty not hubris. Barely two years ago we couldn't qualify for back to back AFCONs, not to mention we were missing a few players as well including Uzoho which rightfully would make them more cautious knowing Okoye is playing his first game. Couldn't risk exposing him.
The same fantastic team that was beaten by Peru last month? :roll:

I am not talking of the Brazil of the COPA America. I am talking of the team that we played against this weekend. It was a much weakened side. :sneaky:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

cchinukw wrote:
theYemster wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Absolutely nothing!

Flog?

The same fantastic team that was beaten by Peru last month? :roll:

I am not talking of the Brazil of the COPA America. I am talking of the team that we played against this weekend. It was a much weakened side. :sneaky:
How was it much weakened? Because Neymar went out early?

I listed their players compared to ours. Position for position, which of our players is more established?

Interesting you conveniently ignored Peru's two blowout losses just prior to that narrow win.

This is not to absolve Rohr of criticism cos I believe he waited too long to make subs, but the notion that a draw was a horrible result is one that I refuse to accept.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯