Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:51 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17645
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Quote:
Francis Uzoho's Form
In his last three games for Nigeria, Francis Uzoho has excelled. In fact, he has made improvements from one to the next game. Against Brazil, he was clearly Nigeria's best player. He made several world class saves that any goalkeeper, any where in the world, would have been proud of. This is not to state that he is world class but his play yesterday was nothing less. His reflexes were astounding in stopping shots that were heading to the back of the net. It was a major downer to see him stretchered off.


Quote:
Rohr's Substitution Awareness
Manager Gernot Rohr has been severally criticized over his slow substitution decisions, yesterday may have provided additional ammunition to the critics. The boys had put up a major effort pressing and closing down lanes that some of them were obviously tired much earlier than the decision to take them off. Examples were Alex Iwobi and Samuel Chukwueze. Both were well spent before Rohr decided to take them off. The fact that the game was a friendly raises even more questions since the coaches had the opportunity to make six substitutions. Rohr did not make the fifth and sixth substitutions until seconds to the end of the game and then in injury time.



Details here:
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/10/five-key-lessons-from-game-v-brazil.html

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:25 pm
Posts: 7335
Nice blogpost prof, as always!

There is something I dont think we understand about Rohr. He is clearly very methodical in his preparation, and has a close attention to detail. Yet I dont understand his philosophy when it comes to late substitutions. Like you, I thought they were made very late, but there has to be some method to his reasoning we havent understood.

Maybe he doesnt like introducing disruptive changes during key defensive phases of the game. Maybe he is trying to stretch out the stamina of his key players. I personally think it is an old school philosophy and probably not adapted to the modern game which relies on stats to show when players reach and pass their peak use performance levels.

That said, you cannot fault Rohr's strategic and tactical preparation though. He always has the right tactical setup to counter the opponents strengths.

_________________
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17645
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
charlie wrote:
Nice blogpost prof, as always!

There is something I dont think we understand about Rohr. He is clearly very methodical in his preparation, and has a close attention to detail. Yet I dont understand his philosophy when it comes to late substitutions. Like you, I thought they were made very late, but there has to be some method to his reasoning we havent understood.

Maybe he doesnt like introducing disruptive changes during key defensive phases of the game. Maybe he is trying to stretch out the stamina of his key players. I personally think it is an old school philosophy and probably not adapted to the modern game which relies on stats to show when players reach and pass their peak use performance levels.

That said, you cannot fault Rohr's strategic and tactical preparation though. He always has the right tactical setup to counter the opponents strengths.


Charlie,

I was surprised yesterday to an extent because of how tired the players were and yet he did not make a move. However, I think his decision to wait in the AFCON semi-final game v Algeria was strategic. In that Algerian game, he clearly thought that the game was headed for overtime, and with the opportunity to bring in more players than the Algerians could, presented the opportunity to swing the game to Nigeria's favor. The last gasp win by Algeria squashed that strategy but yesterday was a surprise.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:43 pm
Posts: 5518
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
Francis Uzoho's Form
In his last three games for Nigeria, Francis Uzoho has excelled. In fact, he has made improvements from one to the next game. Against Brazil, he was clearly Nigeria's best player. He made several world class saves that any goalkeeper, any where in the world, would have been proud of. This is not to state that he is world class but his play yesterday was nothing less. His reflexes were astounding in stopping shots that were heading to the back of the net. It was a major downer to see him stretchered off.


Quote:
Rohr's Substitution Awareness
Manager Gernot Rohr has been severally criticized over his slow substitution decisions, yesterday may have provided additional ammunition to the critics. The boys had put up a major effort pressing and closing down lanes that some of them were obviously tired much earlier than the decision to take them off. Examples were Alex Iwobi and Samuel Chukwueze. Both were well spent before Rohr decided to take them off. The fact that the game was a friendly raises even more questions since the coaches had the opportunity to make six substitutions. Rohr did not make the fifth and sixth substitutions until seconds to the end of the game and then in injury time.



Details here:
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/10/five-key-lessons-from-game-v-brazil.html


ON UZOHO...


...I couldn't believe why he came under so much doubt and criticism going into the AFCON after doing acceptably in Russia 2018. I'm happy people are beginning to see that their criticisms were unwarranted and premature. With Uzoho and Okoye, both of whom still have years to play, that position is being solidified for the next AFCON and WC.
Bell

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:31 am
Posts: 1511
Location: gdrjggm
You forgot the 6th one. We don't play to win games anymore rather we play not to lose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:22 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 9640
Location: loughborough.
Prof. On substitution. This was the first thing, i noticed in Rohr first ever match.

Anyhow, i posted an interview after the Argentina game at the WC. In which, the Super Eagles spokesman said something along the lines, that Rohr makes late substitution because injuries and red card could affect the team. Hence last substitution.

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:10 pm
Posts: 1781
Location: pittsburgh
As much as I'm a fan of the coach, could the early substitution against Brazil be a reflex reaction towards Brazil? Remember, by the time he made his first sub, Brazil had already made two.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 83593
Location: Earth
eyan wrote:
You forgot the 6th one. We don't play to win games anymore rather we play not to lose.

gbosa!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

_________________
SuperEagles

[img]I%20big%20pokey%20deleted%20that%20crap[/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:58 pm
Posts: 22650
Location: Ukwuani
Sometimes I agree with you guys and in other times, I disagree. Knowing and understanding you people's whining; or so, will not change anything, why don't you people let the coach be?

_________________
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10168
Location: Nigeria
Removing Unavailable Kalu and Etebo, the gulf between the starters and the bench is so wide
He needed to keep a result against Brazil and it was obvious he was not going to reduce the quality of the team with a lot of time left
Ukraine was a clear example
If the opponents were poorer or the score was lopsided for or against us, he would have used all the subs half an hour to go

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:56 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40642
Location: UK
megapro wrote:
Removing Unavailable Kalu and Etebo, the gulf between the starters and the bench is so wide
He needed to keep a result against Brazil and it was obvious he was not going to reduce the quality of the team with a lot of time left
Ukraine was a clear example
If the opponents were poorer or the score was lopsided for or against us, he would have used all the subs half an hour to go
People want to eat their cake and have it.
The substitutions vs Ukraine were why we lost the initiative bcos of the drop in quality.
Against a far superior Brazil they are still shouting for subs that could have lost us the game.
You can almost sense that this is what some of these autocritics want. :lol:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 47121
Bell wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
Francis Uzoho's Form
In his last three games for Nigeria, Francis Uzoho has excelled. In fact, he has made improvements from one to the next game. Against Brazil, he was clearly Nigeria's best player. He made several world class saves that any goalkeeper, any where in the world, would have been proud of. This is not to state that he is world class but his play yesterday was nothing less. His reflexes were astounding in stopping shots that were heading to the back of the net. It was a major downer to see him stretchered off.


Quote:
Rohr's Substitution Awareness
Manager Gernot Rohr has been severally criticized over his slow substitution decisions, yesterday may have provided additional ammunition to the critics. The boys had put up a major effort pressing and closing down lanes that some of them were obviously tired much earlier than the decision to take them off. Examples were Alex Iwobi and Samuel Chukwueze. Both were well spent before Rohr decided to take them off. The fact that the game was a friendly raises even more questions since the coaches had the opportunity to make six substitutions. Rohr did not make the fifth and sixth substitutions until seconds to the end of the game and then in injury time.



Details here:
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/10/five-key-lessons-from-game-v-brazil.html


ON UZOHO...


...I couldn't believe why he came under so much doubt and criticism going into the AFCON after doing acceptably in Russia 2018. I'm happy people are beginning to see that their criticisms were unwarranted and premature. With Uzoho and Okoye, both of whom still have years to play, that position is being solidified for the next AFCON and WC.
Bell


We didn't freeze in time between Russia and the AFCON. He was criticized and rightfully so because he was poor in ANC qualifying games . No one has a vendetta against him but he was simply poor, and offered no reassurance as a starting goal keeper of a national team. We all watched his blunders against Libya and Seychelles in the qualifiers even in games we won where he was rightfully criticized. Coupled with the fact that after the world cup, he couldn't get playing time at Elche, went to Cyprus and had his debacle with his transfer over his medical papers. For Rohr, someone notorious for sticking to his guns with his starters, to bench him, (especially for someone as underwhelming as like Akpeyi, he clearly did something wrong). There was nothing "unwarranted" or "premature" about the criticisms he rightfully received.

Thank goodness he has made strides now, Nigeria can only benefit from a good goalkeeper, that being said, there is no need for revisionist history.

_________________
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 45906
My Brazilian co-worker has forgotten about this very very friendly game.

_________________
The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Last edited by 1naija on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:22 pm
Posts: 47121
1naija wrote:
My Brazilian go worker has forgotten about this very very friendly game.


:lol: :lol:

_________________
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 2227
metalalloy wrote:
Bell wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
Francis Uzoho's Form
In his last three games for Nigeria, Francis Uzoho has excelled. In fact, he has made improvements from one to the next game. Against Brazil, he was clearly Nigeria's best player. He made several world class saves that any goalkeeper, any where in the world, would have been proud of. This is not to state that he is world class but his play yesterday was nothing less. His reflexes were astounding in stopping shots that were heading to the back of the net. It was a major downer to see him stretchered off.


Quote:
Rohr's Substitution Awareness
Manager Gernot Rohr has been severally criticized over his slow substitution decisions, yesterday may have provided additional ammunition to the critics. The boys had put up a major effort pressing and closing down lanes that some of them were obviously tired much earlier than the decision to take them off. Examples were Alex Iwobi and Samuel Chukwueze. Both were well spent before Rohr decided to take them off. The fact that the game was a friendly raises even more questions since the coaches had the opportunity to make six substitutions. Rohr did not make the fifth and sixth substitutions until seconds to the end of the game and then in injury time.



Details here:
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/10/five-key-lessons-from-game-v-brazil.html


ON UZOHO...


...I couldn't believe why he came under so much doubt and criticism going into the AFCON after doing acceptably in Russia 2018. I'm happy people are beginning to see that their criticisms were unwarranted and premature. With Uzoho and Okoye, both of whom still have years to play, that position is being solidified for the next AFCON and WC.
Bell


We didn't freeze in time between Russia and the AFCON. He was criticized and rightfully so because he was poor in ANC qualifying games . No one has a vendetta against him but he was simply poor, and offered no reassurance as a starting goal keeper of a national team. We all watched his blunders against Libya and Seychelles in the qualifiers even in games we won where he was rightfully criticized. Coupled with the fact that after the world cup, he couldn't get playing time at Elche, went to Cyprus and had his debacle with his transfer over his medical papers. For Rohr, someone notorious for sticking to his guns with his starters, to bench him, (especially for someone as underwhelming as like Akpeyi, he clearly did something wrong). There was nothing "unwarranted" or "premature" about the criticisms he rightfully received.

Thank goodness he has made strides now, Nigeria can only benefit from a good goalkeeper, that being said, there is no need for revisionist history.


Poeple always forget. Especially Nigerians and most especially CE members.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 17645
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
metalalloy wrote:
Bell wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Quote:
Francis Uzoho's Form
In his last three games for Nigeria, Francis Uzoho has excelled. In fact, he has made improvements from one to the next game. Against Brazil, he was clearly Nigeria's best player. He made several world class saves that any goalkeeper, any where in the world, would have been proud of. This is not to state that he is world class but his play yesterday was nothing less. His reflexes were astounding in stopping shots that were heading to the back of the net. It was a major downer to see him stretchered off.


Quote:
Rohr's Substitution Awareness
Manager Gernot Rohr has been severally criticized over his slow substitution decisions, yesterday may have provided additional ammunition to the critics. The boys had put up a major effort pressing and closing down lanes that some of them were obviously tired much earlier than the decision to take them off. Examples were Alex Iwobi and Samuel Chukwueze. Both were well spent before Rohr decided to take them off. The fact that the game was a friendly raises even more questions since the coaches had the opportunity to make six substitutions. Rohr did not make the fifth and sixth substitutions until seconds to the end of the game and then in injury time.



Details here:
https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/10/five-key-lessons-from-game-v-brazil.html


ON UZOHO...


...I couldn't believe why he came under so much doubt and criticism going into the AFCON after doing acceptably in Russia 2018. I'm happy people are beginning to see that their criticisms were unwarranted and premature. With Uzoho and Okoye, both of whom still have years to play, that position is being solidified for the next AFCON and WC.
Bell


We didn't freeze in time between Russia and the AFCON. He was criticized and rightfully so because he was poor in ANC qualifying games . No one has a vendetta against him but he was simply poor, and offered no reassurance as a starting goal keeper of a national team. We all watched his blunders against Libya and Seychelles in the qualifiers even in games we won where he was rightfully criticized. Coupled with the fact that after the world cup, he couldn't get playing time at Elche, went to Cyprus and had his debacle with his transfer over his medical papers. For Rohr, someone notorious for sticking to his guns with his starters, to bench him, (especially for someone as underwhelming as like Akpeyi, he clearly did something wrong). There was nothing "unwarranted" or "premature" about the criticisms he rightfully received.

Thank goodness he has made strides now, Nigeria can only benefit from a good goalkeeper, that being said, there is no need for revisionist history.


KPOM. Things change. They are never static. If Uzoho messes up again, he will be duly criticized.

_________________
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40642
Location: UK
1naija wrote:
My Brazilian go worker has forgotten about this very very friendly game.
That's what normal people do with bad memories. :taunt:

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ANC, EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA, maceo4, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 40 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group