The fallacy of Rohr University...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet
The fallacy of Rohr University...

Post by bushboy »

Several times now, the manager of the Nigerian super eagles has told a world at several press conferences that his team is young and learning. Ordinarily, I would have no problem with such an assertion. Learning, after all, is essential to growth and progress. Were Mr. Rohr a manager of some club youth academy, or even a club manager, I would support his fully in his capacity as "teacher." However, Rohr is a the manager of a senior national team. This is not a place to learn. It is a place reserved for those who already have.

The national team is a place like any other. It is supposedly reserved for the very best players of a specific nationality. Of the thousands of possible options, a coach must select only the best 23 each time. These selected players are those who have proven their quality by delivering week in and week out on the world's biggest stages. If these players have not "learned" at this level, then the clubs themselves would have weeded them out already. Roth's job is not to teach, but to select already successful students.

There is a place for modesty. To say your team respects their opponents and that the opposing is filled with quality players. There is also a time to big up your own team, to say "my squad has probably the best DM in the EPL, the current leading scorer in France, quality wingers who recently scored good goals against Real Madrid and inter Milan. My players play week in and week out against these same Brazillians and Croatians on their club teams. We respect them, but we are not intimidated"

I think the time has come for Nigeria to find a coach with the latter mindset.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: The fallacy of Rohr University...

Post by kalani JR »

I don't care so much about the whole learning shtick when it comes to downplaying our chances, it is obviously a mind game. What I have a problem with is that it comes off as paternalistic to me, sort of like teaching these "naive Africans" about football.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Do you know the difference between stupidity and wisdom?

The stupid think they know everything.
The wise know they dont know nearly enough.

Life is a lifelong lesson of moments.
Choose wisely.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

charlie wrote:Do you know the difference between stupidity and wisdom?

Choose wisely.

Yup! He may never know how stupid this thread is if he lived another 200yrs.
OCCUPY NFF!!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

kalani JR wrote:I don't care so much about the whole learning shtick when it comes to downplaying our chances, it is obviously a mind game. What I have a problem with is that it comes off as paternalistic to me, sort of like teaching these "naive Africans" about football.
How long do you think "downplaying our chances" becones a viable tactic? Its one thing to talk it and then do something different on the pitch, but to say it, and then play this very negative 11 men behind the ball, bus parking system and subject your team to wave after wave of attack is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

How do you look at Iwobi, who plays on the exact same club team as Richarlison and tell him he is here to "learn" from his peer?

Or to tell Ndidi, who plays the world's best midfielders every week in the EPL, that he should accept his inferiority and be grateful to share the same pitch with Coutinho?

There has to come a point where a coach looks at his own squad and believes they are good enough to compete. Our players all play in England. Germany, France, Spain, Italy. They play CL and Europa league football. At what point will the manager start playing positive football? Yes, we won't win every game, but its a freaking sport! Its not life and death. Especially friendly games. Play positive football. You may lose. You may win. But it will surely be a highly entertaining match. Isn't that why we tune in? To be entertained?

I'm getting tired of Rohr to be honest.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Can we focus on football please, instead of this stupid jeopardy-word game stuff?

Enough with this idiocy!!!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
charlie wrote:Do you know the difference between stupidity and wisdom?

Choose wisely.
Yup! He may never know how stupid this thread is if he lived another 200yrs.
Bushboy's HATRED for coach Rohr is beyond mention. Even the ants know so. However, even as I state the previous, I am beginning to join those who think coach Rohr needs attitude and tactic adjustments. I am NOT calling for his termination, 'no.'
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

bushboy wrote:
kalani JR wrote:I don't care so much about the whole learning shtick when it comes to downplaying our chances, it is obviously a mind game. What I have a problem with is that it comes off as paternalistic to me, sort of like teaching these "naive Africans" about football.
How long do you think "downplaying our chances" becones a viable tactic? Its one thing to talk it and then do something different on the pitch, but to say it, and then play this very negative 11 men behind the ball, bus parking system and subject your team to wave after wave of attack is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

How do you look at Iwobi, who plays on the exact same club team as Richarlison and tell him he is here to "learn" from his peer?

Or to tell Ndidi, who plays the world's best midfielders every week in the EPL, that he should accept his inferiority and be grateful to share the same pitch with Coutinho?

There has to come a point where a coach looks at his own squad and believes they are good enough to compete. Our players all play in England. Germany, France, Spain, Italy. They play CL and Europa league football. At what point will the manager start playing positive football? Yes, we won't win every game, but its a freaking sport! Its not life and death. Especially friendly games. Play positive football. You may lose. You may win. But it will surely be a highly entertaining match. Isn't that why we tune in? To be entertained?

I'm getting tired of Rohr to be honest.
The coach cannot give what he doesn’t have.
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

bushboy wrote:Several times now, the manager of the Nigerian super eagles has told a world at several press conferences that his team is young and learning. Ordinarily, I would have no problem with such an assertion. Learning, after all, is essential to growth and progress. Were Mr. Rohr a manager of some club youth academy, or even a club manager, I would support his fully in his capacity as "teacher." However, Rohr is a the manager of a senior national team. This is not a place to learn. It is a place reserved for those who already have.

The national team is a place like any other. It is supposedly reserved for the very best players of a specific nationality. Of the thousands of possible options, a coach must select only the best 23 each time. These selected players are those who have proven their quality by delivering week in and week out on the world's biggest stages. If these players have not "learned" at this level, then the clubs themselves would have weeded them out already. Roth's job is not to teach, but to select already successful students.

There is a place for modesty. To say your team respects their opponents and that the opposing is filled with quality players. There is also a time to big up your own team, to say "my squad has probably the best DM in the EPL, the current leading scorer in France, quality wingers who recently scored good goals against Real Madrid and inter Milan. My players play week in and week out against these same Brazillians and Croatians on their club teams. We respect them, but we are not intimidated"

I think the time has come for Nigeria to find a coach with the latter mindset.
ol boi all dis long grama abi you library
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."