Our Individual Players Have Quality...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: Our Individual Players Have Quality...

Post by john12 »

Which retirement employ?? ROhR has done a good job don’t try to belittle his achievements
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Tobi17 wrote:
Zelex wrote:I don't have any set expectations for any SE team. I was heavily invested in circa 2006 SE national pool which I believe was arguably more talented than this current team with players such as Yobo, Obodo, Ayinla, Yakubu, Martins, Odiah, Utaka, Taiwo etc who were all playing regularly in the top 5 leagues plus you had young players such Mikel, Obasi, Nsofor and Apam entering the frame. I believe they were even ranked as high as no.9 in the world by FIFA during that period. They achieved absolutely nothing though.

Back to your point, I think the SE are currently doing OK. I also feel Rohr has got the team playing close their maximum ability. He deserves credit however it must be noted that Rohr hasn't done anything out of the ordinary IMO that his predecessors with less "talented" squads also haven't done. I don't really get the adulation he receives at times.
At least you are honest enough to admit the highlighted part, truth is I even doubt that 2006 circa was more talented than these current generation... yes they were more hyped up and all, and it seemed at the time that that 3006 generation was almost infallible, but as time would go on to prove... they by and large achieved absolutely nothing... just all hype and nothing more. We can even argue that the only players in that generation who went on to have great to decent careers were Mikel, Martins, Yak, and Yobo... the rest flattered to deceive. Talent in many ways is not just about having teams with big names, but their overall achievements and longevity. With the likes Osimhen, Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Simon, Iwobi, Kalu etc we have a core of genuinely young players who are a more ideal ceiling for achieving more, and setting better records at all levels than their predecessors.
:agree:
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Zelex wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
Zelex wrote:I don't have any set expectations for any SE team. I was heavily invested in circa 2006 SE national pool which I believe was arguably more talented than this current team with players such as Yobo, Obodo, Ayinla, Yakubu, Martins, Odiah, Utaka, Taiwo etc who were all playing regularly in the top 5 leagues plus you had young players such Mikel, Obasi, Nsofor and Apam entering the frame. I believe they were even ranked as high as no.9 in the world by FIFA during that period. They achieved absolutely nothing though.

Back to your point, I think the SE are currently doing OK. I also feel Rohr has got the team playing close their maximum ability. He deserves credit however it must be noted that Rohr hasn't done anything out of the ordinary IMO that his predecessors with less "talented" squads also haven't done. I don't really get the adulation he receives at times.
At least you are honest enough to admit the highlighted part, truth is I even doubt that 2006 circa was more talented than these current generation... yes they were more hyped up and all, and it seemed at the time that that 3006 generation was almost infallible, but as time would go on to prove... they by and large achieved absolutely nothing... just all hype and nothing more. We can even argue that the only players in that generation who went on to have great to decent careers were Mikel, Martins, Yak, and Yobo... the rest flattered to deceive. Talent in many ways is not just about having teams with big names, but their overall achievements and longevity. With the likes Osimhen, Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Simon, Iwobi, Kalu etc we have a core of genuinely young players who are a more ideal ceiling for achieving more, and setting better records at all levels than their predecessors.
They were just as hyped as this set and nothing has changed, let them achieve something before we hype them. That set also got golden bronze at ANC, let us see this supposedly better group do more abeg before hyping. Imagine someone saying because of Osimhen we will be in the WC finals when we’ve had better strikers like Martins that didn’t take us anywhere there. We love to hype then when they don’t match the hype we then s on them and hype the next.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

you dey mind them? like if strikers has been SE problem in the last 10 years. as good as chukwueze and osimehn are they must match mikel, V moses, era or surpass it to even be overhyped. anything contrary, na just talk
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

They were just as hyped as this set and nothing has changed, let them achieve something before we hype them. That set also got golden bronze at ANC, let us see this supposedly better group do more abeg before hyping. Imagine someone saying because of Osimhen we will be in the WC finals when we’ve had better strikers like Martins that didn’t take us anywhere there. We love to hype then when they don’t match the hype we then s on them and hype the next.
Bros what are you talking about? The first major tournament the likes of Osimhen and Co experienced was the just concluded AFCON, and they still managed to come third after losing to a better Algerian team. How many tournaments did Martin's set qualify for again? and all they kept winning was the golden bronze... nobody is hyping Osimhen and his generation yet, we all know the limitations of the team right now: which is largely due to the annoyingly conservative coaching of Rohr. The fact remains that that 2006 set was arguably the most overrated generation of SE players... it's no surprise only Mikel and Martin's out of the bunch went on to have very promising careers.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Bros what are you talking about? The first major tournament the likes of Osimhen and Co experienced was the just concluded AFCON, and they still managed to come third after losing to a better Algerian team. How many tournaments did Martin's set qualify for again? and all they kept winning was the golden bronze... nobody is hyping Osimhen and his generation yet, we all know the limitations of the team right now: which is largely due to the annoyingly conservative coaching of Rohr. The fact remains that that 2006 set was arguably the most overrated generation of SE players... it's no surprise only Mikel and Martin's out of the bunch went on to have very promising careers.
Huh? The first tournament Mikel and Martins competed in was the 2006 ANC where they got the same golden bronze. And Mikel and Martins were starters unlike Osimhen that was training material and contributed nothing to our golden bronze. And let’s not forget all the goals Martins scores to qualify us for that ANC, something Osimhen still is yet to do. The hype was so much more for these two who Chelsea and Manure were fighting over and Starting for Inter Milan embarrassing the likes of Arsenal in the CL. We were saying how Martins is better than Etoo and more, and how we can now forget about JJ because of Mikel...the hype was crazy...either you’ve forgotten or were too young to remember...

Abi you forgot? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Af ... of_Nations

And what do you think saying this team is more talented than that team means? Isn’t that serious overhyping?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

Huh? The first tournament Mikel and Martins competed in was the 2006 ANC where they got the same golden bronze. And Mikel and Martins were starters unlike Osimhen that was training material and contributed nothing to our golden bronze. And let’s not forget all the goals Martins scores to qualify us for that ANC, something Osimhen still is yet to do. The hype was so much more for these two who Chelsea and Manure were fighting over and Starting for Inter Milan embarrassing the likes of Arsenal in the CL. We were saying how Martins is better than Etoo and more, and how we can now forget about JJ because of Mikel...the hype was crazy...either you’ve forgotten or were too young to remember...

Abi you forgot? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Af ... of_Nations

And what do you think saying this team is more talented than that team means? Isn’t that serious overhyping?
Well Ighalo has always been the main target man, Osimhen was not even played throughout the AFCON qualifiers to the tournament proper till like the 3rd place match against Tunisia (he only got a chance after Ighalo's injury in that match). So to put things in context, we've never really seen the best of Osimhen in national colors until the retirement of Ighalo... the jury is still out on this generation of players, let's see if they will do better in the next tournaments (AFCON & WC), hopefully under a coach that can actually get them to play good and exciting football.

And oh I still insist that the 2006 SE players massively underachieved, it was in their era winning the golden bronze became a Nigerian thing (even the bredas used to mock us about it), the most embarrassing part is that 2010 AFCON QF game where we lost to a Ghanaian team full of debutants, and of course almighty names like Martin's, Yakubu, Mikel, Osaze, Nsofor etc were in that team.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

niyi wrote:
deanotito wrote:
niyi wrote:You don't know what I mean by value even though my post is predicated on numbers?

I'm not in the business of speculation and guess work... you need to show me our players have more bad touches than Algerian players on average... no use for long epistles really.

Bros, even your data says we're 19th. So that would mean that, based on your data, if we held a WC today, we won't make it out of the first round...theoretically.

So, since we're all in the theoretical realm, that is essentially what Rohr achieved in the last WC.

So he IS in fact maximizing our talent. You say you're not in the business of speculating and guesswork, but your entire data is theoretical....its all guesswork. No one knows the current value of Chukwueze unless somebody makes an offer.
My brother I don't understand you and you probably don't understand me either.

Firstly, I published a value based on numbers and you said you didn't know what value meant.

Next, I said in my post that African players are undervalued and a good coach would have us performing above our potential at a Top 10-12 level and you're teling me a first round exit at the world cup is good enough.

Bros, you don’t understand what you posted so let me clarify:

1. Your “numbers” are made up. They are comprised of Transfermarkt’s proprietary rating of player “value”. They assign a monetary value to players based on their own ranking system. It is neither true nor factual. Just one entity’s estimate. So to say that you don’t deal with guesswork or speculation while presenting guesswork and speculation is a bit ridiculous to be perfectly honest

2. Even if we were to use transfermarkt’s numbers as fact, they tell us that we’re 19th in the world. In a tournament of the best 32 teams in the world (which is the World Cup), it means Nigeria won’t make it out of the first round (which is exactly what happened last year). So even according to Transfermarkt, Rohr maximized the talent pool available to him at last year’s World Cup

So it would seem that my anecdotal conclusions on the ball skills of our players largely have jive with Transfermarkt’s value conclusions.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

john12 wrote:A team that was got 3rd place at nations cup definitely didn’t perform below par. There was 3 teams that our had won that nations cup and the margin of defeat was so mint so I don’t even get your point
Hand on heart, during the AFCON, did u at any point, in any game including Madagascar think......we are about to hammer this team?

Did you at any point think....the SE is far better than any team we played ANY!!! including Madagascar.....?

Set aside the Brazil’s and the Croatia’s of this world..... When last did we play a team out of the park?....

I will tell u, against Argentina in a friendly... they had better players...far better players....then came the WC and Rohr turned into a coward.

Don’t care about ranking, Player quality etc.....Can the SE play like a team with Pride? Play like Nigerians?

Don’t get me wrong, Rohr has done great work...from the building and organizational point of view but we now need to be more proactive on the pitch not reactive....

George Graham was great for Arsenal (he got the job instead of Sir Alex) but his sacking eventually led to the appointment of Wenger. Ppl forget that Graham won the league losing just one game!! But it was boring boring Arsenal..... Wenger changed that....we maintained the defensive wall that Graham built but developed stamina and attacking prowess from Wenger.

Should we just with Rohr cos he is just keeping us above water or should we get a manger that can keep the organizational balance from Rohr but develop our attacking Prowess??
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

it's either you're drunk or DELUSIONAL.
we played better than the first game Guinea, South Africa (eliminated host) Cameroun ( present champions) so idk wth you're talking about. do you even think there are any more easy teams at the ANC?? no matter how you guys twist it, rohr achieved his pre anc target
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

maceo4 wrote:
Zelex wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

You are probably right, I agree we do over-hype our players (I think all fans across the world do though). As I said in my initial post, I have no expectations regarding the development of Nigerian players or team. That 2006 era taught me a big lesson-I still maintain they were more talented than this squad at that point. I genuinely believed Nigeria was set for great things (from a logical perspective). The only reason I feel slightly different with this set is there seems to be a better discipline within the squad. There seems to be a togetherness and focused around the team. So it isn't necessarily "talent" I am making my judgement. However nothing is guaranteed in football.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

john12 wrote:Like I have always said for Nigeria to Compete with the best and achieve something huge in WORLD FOOTBALL, we need our players at the BEST CLUBS in the world and also the BEST LEAGUE in the world playing week in and out anything contrary, we’re still going to remain stagnant in world football and it doesn’t matter whether ROhR, Keshi, Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola is the Coach. Obviously, there can be random upset in football ala Costa Rica 2014 etc but we’re not going to hope on upset. When I see rohr, I see a man that has improved our team immensely because when he came on board, most of our boys were at BACKWATER leagues now our boys are at top 5 leagues playing for MIDRATED teams. The next step is the final step and when they get there, I can understand people arrogance if we’re facing any opposition
This is poor thinking, which as resulted into poor mentality.

If Nigeria had a squad of 22 players, playing in the so called best leagues in the world, Rohr will still find an excuse to play his style of football. This is an individual who has the mentality of a Volkswagen Beetle driver, you now give him a Ferrari to play with, he will forever be afraid to utilise the full potential of the Ferrari, That´s rohr style of football in the nutshell.

The word best league and best team is subjective. Let´s work with your theory. There was a time, whether you agree with it or not. The Premiership was the best league in the world with the arguably the best teams in Europe.... How did the three lions perform in WCs and European champions? We were told it´s coming home blah, blah, The English football always disappointed.

Until, there was a root and branch review of English football. Spain, France and Germany models were studied. St. George´s park was created, a new emphasis was placed on youth tournaments (which was always looked upon with disdain) England won both u-17 and u-20, the best players from sourced from the likes of Bournemouth etc. Suddenly the senior Three Lions started performing better than previously assembled star-studded team.

Of course, the point is conceded, that Spain and it´s Tiki-taka ruled world football, with players from the best league and best clubs playing week in, week out. this in my view was down to structure and philosophy, as opposed to we play in the best league with the best team, that will or must translate to we will automatically the ´best and achieve something huge in world football´

Also, the Argentinian team, most of it´s squad member playing the the best league and best club in the world, yet it´s a shadow of it´s old self. It is not a given, playing in the best club and best league equals world football achievements. Sometimes the whole team can propel the team to victory (Greece as European Champions) or an inspirational individual or two can propel the team to victory (Portugal as European Champions).

Please get rid of this mentality of playing in backwater league, that means you are automatically inferior. Take a look at the on-going Rugby WC. Host Japan defeated Ireland and Scotland who were better ranked than Japan and have players playing in the top leagues in Rugby. The Japanese Rugby played to their strengths, not their opponents perceived advantage or superiority.

The truth is, excuses will be forever made by Rohrbots for Rohr from no CL playing experience, we are ranked low, we are not playing in the best leagues and best clubs in the world, we are playing backwater leagues etc. Like father will say: Fabio, excuses can only take you thus far in life.....These words are inscribed on Karl Marx grave “The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Yes. High level consistency is key because the variables for performance fluctuate. Need to push the ceiling of 2nd round at the World Cup.
john12 wrote:Like I have always said for Nigeria to Compete with the best and achieve something huge in WORLD FOOTBALL, we need our players at the BEST CLUBS in the world and also the BEST LEAGUE in the world playing week in and out anything contrary, we’re still going to remain stagnant in world football and it doesn’t matter whether ROhR, Keshi, Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola is the Coach. Obviously, there can be random upset in football ala Costa Rica 2014 etc but we’re not going to hope on upset. When I see rohr, I see a man that has improved our team immensely because when he came on board, most of our boys were at BACKWATER leagues now our boys are at top 5 leagues playing for MIDRATED teams. The next step is the final step and when they get there, I can understand people arrogance if we’re facing any opposition