Can our boys play well when the tempo of a game is high?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Can our boys play well when the tempo of a game is high?

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] I would urge everyone to watch the Brazil game again and you will notice that the game was played at a very slow tempo
[2] Friendlies by their very nature are low tempo affairs, which is why it is dangerous to use them as yardsticks by which to measure a team
[3] When we beat Argentina 4-2, the game was played at a slow tempo but come the real deal when it was all guns blazing, we struggled
[4] Brazil I noticed were a very physical team. They simply did not let our boys rest ion the ball. Now, if that is done at a high tempo, just imagine how worse the possession stats will be
[5] Jesus Gabriel in particular was a beast, he simply never let Collins of Simon settle on the ball. He dispossessed them repeatedly
[6] If you watch the game again closely, you will realise that Collins, Simon, Chukwueze and Iwobi were guilty of losing possession whenever they were closed down
[7] With the World Cup looming, Rohr needs to line up games involving teams that play at a high tempo to condition his players. Teams like Germany, England, France, etc come to mind
[8] I actually think this team needs a physical trainer as apart from the fact that they get shoved off the ball too often, they run out of gas around the 60th minute. In a high tempo game, they will be done by half time
[9] I also noticed that Chukwueze does not have the kind of electric pace to get away from defenders like say Martins, Amokachi, Aghahowa or Ammunike. As of now, Chukwueze cannot win a match for us
[10] This team is a work in progress but there is still a lot more to be done. Samuel Kalu returning will help and yes, I long for Onyekuru and Nwakali to realise their potential
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Can our boys play well when the tempo of a game is high?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

It’s was played at a slower pace because we slowed Brazil down significantly, especially in the 1st half.

Read what Dani Alves has to say here

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/10/15/d ... t-nigeria/
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

:laugh: Iwobi will struggle in such a game. Mikel part 2.

Wha choo looking at?!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:It’s was played at a slower pace because we slowed Brazil down significantly, especially in the 1st half.

I wish owngoal had named their source(s)
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

You have this completely wrong. Totally backwards. The real question is whether the eagles can play when the tempo is slow. They simply cannot hold the ball and keep possession ...so they pass quickly and are always trying to use pace to beat the opposition. The real struggle against Brazil was that when Brazil was knocking the ball around - which was most of the game - we really had no answer...hence the lopsided possession stats
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

You have this completely wrong. Totally backwards. The real question is whether the eagles can play when the tempo is slow. They simply cannot hold the ball and keep possession ...so they pass quickly and are always trying to use pace to beat the opposition. The real struggle against Brazil was that when Brazil was knocking the ball around - which was most of the game - we really had no answer...hence the lopsided possession stats
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: [4] Brazil I noticed were a very physical team. They simply did not let our boys rest ion the ball. Now, if that is done at a high tempo, just imagine how worse the possession stats will be
It was probably strategic. They publicly stated why they were playing Senegal and Nigeria - our speed and physicality. So they came prepared.
But I maintain they didn't outmuscle us. They met a strong but fair physical side. How many free kicks did they win in dangerous areas? I remember only two.
That speaks volumes.
[6] If you watch the game again closely, you will realise that Collins, Simon, Chukwueze and Iwobi were guilty of losing possession whenever they were closed down
I don't think this says anything at all. Everton, Coutinho and Jesus were 'guilty' of the same thing. Their attack often fizzled out as a result.
[8] I actually think this team needs a physical trainer as apart from the fact that they get shoved off the ball too often, they run out of gas around the 60th minute. In a high tempo game, they will be done by half time
I agree, but I don't think strength is the problem, but stamina. I wonder why the ref called for a water break in the first half. Was it the heat? Humidity? Altitude? That might partly explain the fatigue which was pretty obvious in some of our players.
[9] I also noticed that Chukwueze does not have the kind of electric pace to get away from defenders like say Martins, Amokachi, Aghahowa or Ammunike. As of now, Chukwueze cannot win a match for us
False!!!!!!! He does it all the time in Spain and embarassed his marker several times v Brazil. The commentators repeatedly mentioned his and Osimehn's pace and how the Brazilians were struggling.
[10] This team is a work in progress but there is still a lot more to be done. Samuel Kalu returning will help and yes, I long for Onyekuru and Nwakali to realise their potential
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

I’d rather Nigeria dictate the pace of the game, getting bodies behind the ball when in offence is a sensible tactic but it’s what we do once we win the ball back that matters, we have to react as a unit or every time we are in position we’ll be forced to individually dwell on the ball!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Can we cope when a team decides to press us high? When the defence is pressed from the word go, how do we know they will not lose the ball?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Eaglezbeak wrote:I’d rather Nigeria dictate the pace of the game, getting bodies behind the ball when in offence is a sensible tactic but it’s what we do once we win the ball back that matters, we have to react as a unit or every time we are in position we’ll be forced to individually dwell on the ball!
Don't worry. We are learning :tic:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

cchinukw wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:I’d rather Nigeria dictate the pace of the game, getting bodies behind the ball when in offence is a sensible tactic but it’s what we do once we win the ball back that matters, we have to react as a unit or every time we are in position we’ll be forced to individually dwell on the ball!
Don't worry. We are learning
We better be because missing Afcons used to be the norm!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Damunk wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:It’s was played at a slower pace because we slowed Brazil down significantly, especially in the 1st half.

Apart from naming their source, it was exactly what happened and nothing to add.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Apart from naming their source, it was exactly what happened and nothing to add.
I don't disagree with his comments but you know what our haters are like.
Anything to discredit the facts and ignore the alternative view.

You no see as we no hear pimm on the matter again? :D
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Damunk wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Some of them have disappeared, but my friend Bigporkey say he must fight to the last to see Rohr sacked. Fabio phone me to say he has given up, that actually Rohr is doing a great job.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
Erm... NO. We won it just 6 years ago.

Missing out following that was an aberration. Just like Holland not too long ago.

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

cchinukw wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:

Missing out following that was an aberration. Just like Holland not too long ago.
What did we learn?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:

What did we learn?
How to win trophies!

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

cchinukw wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:

What did we learn?
How to win trophies!
And then earned a degree in "how not to qualify" after that :rotf:
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Totally disagree. You do know the game was played in sweltering conditions. Hence the water breaks. This is why Naija must play with a clear strategy, be more clinical. Being 2-0 up in that game would be game over. The pace of the game was directly affected by The heat and humidity. Rohr does not have as much tactical and strategic influence as you would like to think
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Scipio Africanus wrote::laugh: Iwobi will struggle in such a game. Mikel part 2.
He will struggle if all we do is chasing the ball and keep giving it back. In fact anyone will struggle.
Last edited by eyan on Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Tobi17 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:

What did we learn?
How to win trophies!
And then earned a degree in "how not to qualify" after that :rotf:
Qualifying is not a trophy. RohrWOrists think it is. I remember recently as 6 years ago that competing for a trophy was the least standard.

Just turning up at a tournament didn't excite like it does RohrWOrists now.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
According to Zebrudayia, please 'told them', because they seem to forget what happened to us in the two AFCONS before coach Rohr was hired
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Some of them have disappeared, but my friend Bigporkey say he must fight to the last to see Rohr sacked. Fabio phone me to say he has given up, that actually Rohr is doing a great job.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bigpokey24 can fight all he wants, but he certainly is fighting a losing battle. As for Fabio, I am delighted he finally has seen light.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.