Centrebacks who are comfortable on the ball is now a must

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Centrebacks who are comfortable on the ball is now a must

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] Has anyone else not noticed that the high press is such a feature of the game today
[2] Teams hound you from goal kicks, forcing your centrebacks to play the ball out of defence
[3] Any errors and you are in trouble
[4] Come the 2022 World Cup, teams that do not have centrebacks who can play will be in serous wahala
[5] Fortunately for Nigeria, Ekong, Omeruo, Awaziem and Ajayi can all play the ball out of defence. They are all comfortable on the ball
[6] I would like to see them cope under pressure, however and see how they manage a situation whereby the forwards press them as soon as they get the ball from Uzoho
[7] Personally, I think that with the emergence of Ebuehi and Collins, Nigeria should play with three at the back as we have the centrebacks to play with this formation
[8] Of late, Ekong in particular has improved on his ability on the ball and that will be key as he is the man in the middle of the back three
[9] Semi Ajayi just needs to cut out his unnecessary showboating. If he does, he can go very far, as he is very comfortable bringing the ball forward. I would like to see him in the Premier league next season to see how he copes at a higher level
[10] If we are going to play with three centrebacks, however, out 2022 squad will need about six centrebacks, so Rohr still has some searching to do. I think it is agreed that Balogun is past it, so we need more depth
Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: Centrebacks who are comfortable on the ball is now a mus

Post by Robotnik »

Now you know right..
'Ballers' are needed everywhere
Possession play starts with the GK and defenders
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Semi Ajayi Brimming with Confidence
And Ajayi, who will be part of the Albion squad that takes on Middlesbrough on Saturday, admits it was a nice feeling to keep Brazil's attacking stars quiet.

"I’ve given myself a lot of confidence coming up against the big stars," he said.

"Hopefully I can carry that form into our league game on the weekend.

“You want to play against the best players and test yourself. If you come out of that with a good performance and result that is even better so the trip went really well.

“I don’t really focus on their names, it is more about what they do on the pitch. I felt like myself and my team-mates dealt with their threats really well and it is something we can take a lot of pride from.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... onfidence/
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

For me off all the players, eligible to play for Nigeria. Tomori was the one, followed by Ezeh we needed the most. That boy will be huge, plays like vintage Italian defenders.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.