Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Semi Ajayi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:15 pm 

chief nfachairman wrote:
Zelex wrote:
I'm sorry but how the hell are 3rd-4th division (Europe) scouted players "ready made" or "polished" for the SE?

Whilst Semi Ajayi deserve a lot of credit and appreciation for his development as footballer over the last few years. His 1st invitation to the SE was based on his performances with Rotherham at League One which led to their promotion to the Championship. I doubt he was many peoples radar at that point but Rohr and his team saw the potential ability he had rather than him being "ready made". That season he took his game to another level, which I attribute a large part of this to the confidence/experience he gained from becoming a member of the SE (akin to the progress Troost-Ekong has made since his 1st invitation to the squad as a 2nd division Dutch player).

Now I'm not interested in this HB vs FB argument but I feel some you need reminding. In recent times, players such as Shehu Abdullahi and Etebo (both who have over 30 caps and have been great servants) were HB players at the time of their invitations to the SE and just like Ajayi have benefited from a manager that believed in their development. I see a player like Stephen Odey who scored for Genk in the UCL last week. He was an NPFL top scorer at one point but barely had a look into the SE under Rohr. If we can believe in the current scouting method (based largely on potential ability) which has provided us Ajayi, Aribo then lets do the same for that previously gave us Oboabona, Etebo etc. It's only logical.

Erm, uncle Zelex,
Semi was in the Championship when he got invited to the SE last year (after the world cup).

https://ng.soccerway.com/players/semi-ajayi/268823/

Indeed. I don't dispute that. However, my point was more focused on the scouting aspect. Rotherham had just been promoted that season and he received his invite in August, i.e the 1st few weeks after season started. Considering that invitations tend to occur about 2 weeks before the international fixture. I guess it's possible Semi was invited after being scouted whilst playing only one game in the Championship (that would be a little disappointing though) but I think it's more likely he was on the radar whilst in league one. (just like Aribo).

@Damunk: Fair points! :thumb:

Post subject: Re: Semi Ajayi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:58 pm 

fabio wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
fabio wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
fabio wrote:
Somewhat hypocritical, Semi used the Brazil game to gain more confidence.... Why are such opportunities not available to HB players?

The usual respond is... Give us the names of those HB players. Answer: That's what the coach is paid to do. Scout.

Well most national teams wouldn’t just pick lower level players just to boost their confidence (I.e Seria B,Bunders2 etc the NPL isn’t even on the level of professionalism as the English League 2 (4th Division),home based players have the CHAN and WAFU to improve their game but our players lost to Togo twice so if you think fielding them in actual class A friendless will boost their confidence then what would a high scoring defeat by a 1st list Brazilian National team do for their moral?

CHAN and WAFU are now a measure of the quality of HB? Okay. :D

Well the CHAN and WAFU tournaments use pure home based teams so logically that’s the best way to measure their quality collectively!And if that’s not enough get better home based coaches to select the right players!

Don't want to be harsh.... The post is not really making much sense. If the HB coaches are not up to the job, why is Rohr not in charge of the CHAN team?

Then that would lead to the question of "why are home based coaches not given a chance",the home based coaches need to practice whilst they are not involved in the main Super Eagles but Rohr should obviously work with them as the Super Eagles is the ultimate National Team of Nigeria!