Semi Ajayi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Zelex
Egg
Egg
Re: Semi Ajayi

Post by Zelex »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Zelex wrote:I'm sorry but how the hell are 3rd-4th division (Europe) scouted players "ready made" or "polished" for the SE?

Whilst Semi Ajayi deserve a lot of credit and appreciation for his development as footballer over the last few years. His 1st invitation to the SE was based on his performances with Rotherham at League One which led to their promotion to the Championship. I doubt he was many peoples radar at that point but Rohr and his team saw the potential ability he had rather than him being "ready made". That season he took his game to another level, which I attribute a large part of this to the confidence/experience he gained from becoming a member of the SE (akin to the progress Troost-Ekong has made since his 1st invitation to the squad as a 2nd division Dutch player).

Now I'm not interested in this HB vs FB argument but I feel some you need reminding. In recent times, players such as Shehu Abdullahi and Etebo (both who have over 30 caps and have been great servants) were HB players at the time of their invitations to the SE and just like Ajayi have benefited from a manager that believed in their development. I see a player like Stephen Odey who scored for Genk in the UCL last week. He was an NPFL top scorer at one point but barely had a look into the SE under Rohr. If we can believe in the current scouting method (based largely on potential ability) which has provided us Ajayi, Aribo then lets do the same for that previously gave us Oboabona, Etebo etc. It's only logical.

Erm, uncle Zelex,
Semi was in the Championship when he got invited to the SE last year (after the world cup).

https://ng.soccerway.com/players/semi-ajayi/268823/
Indeed. I don't dispute that. However, my point was more focused on the scouting aspect. Rotherham had just been promoted that season and he received his invite in August, i.e the 1st few weeks after season started. Considering that invitations tend to occur about 2 weeks before the international fixture. I guess it's possible Semi was invited after being scouted whilst playing only one game in the Championship (that would be a little disappointing though) but I think it's more likely he was on the radar whilst in league one. (just like Aribo).

@Damunk: Fair points! :thumb:
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

fabio wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
fabio wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
fabio wrote:Somewhat hypocritical, Semi used the Brazil game to gain more confidence.... Why are such opportunities not available to HB players?

The usual respond is... Give us the names of those HB players. Answer: That's what the coach is paid to do. Scout.
Well most national teams wouldn’t just pick lower level players just to boost their confidence (I.e Seria B,Bunders2 etc the NPL isn’t even on the level of professionalism as the English League 2 (4th Division),home based players have the CHAN and WAFU to improve their game but our players lost to Togo twice so if you think fielding them in actual class A friendless will boost their confidence then what would a high scoring defeat by a 1st list Brazilian National team do for their moral?
CHAN and WAFU are now a measure of the quality of HB? Okay. :D
Well the CHAN and WAFU tournaments use pure home based teams so logically that’s the best way to measure their quality collectively!And if that’s not enough get better home based coaches to select the right players!
Don't want to be harsh.... The post is not really making much sense. If the HB coaches are not up to the job, why is Rohr not in charge of the CHAN team?
Then that would lead to the question of "why are home based coaches not given a chance",the home based coaches need to practice whilst they are not involved in the main Super Eagles but Rohr should obviously work with them as the Super Eagles is the ultimate National Team of Nigeria!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Didn't now Ajayi played for us at the U19 Toulon tournament back in 2013

Interestingly, Wilfred Ndidi, Jamilu Colins, Shehu Abdullahi, Moses Simon and Sebastian Osigwe, (GK) were also part of that squad. :thumb:

Why I dumped Arsenal – Ajayi
Published March 19, 2020

Ebenezer Bajela

https://punchng.com/why-i-dumped-arsenal-ajayi/

Towering West Brom defender, Semi Ajayi, has lifted the lid on why he left Arsenal for Cardiff City after just two seasons with the North London club in 2015, citing search for first-team football as reason for his departure.

Ajayi, who spent a season at Charlton Athletic before joining the Gunners, said he was spotted by Arsenal while playing for Nigeria at the U-21 Toulon tournament in France in 2013.

He added that he joined the London giants because of the quality of the Arsenal academy.

But the Nigeria international was forced to quit Arsenal after he failed to break into the first team, as the Gunners former manager, Arsene Wenger, couldn’t guarantee him a place in the starting 11.

“In fact, I got close to the first team. At one stage, I was first understudy behind Mertesacker and Koscielny but they then bought Gabriel Paulista in January,” Ajayi told the club’s website.

“Arsene Wenger was very honest with me in that he said he wanted me to stay and develop but he couldn’t offer me first-team football at that point.”

When asked if his allegiance was always with Nigeria or England, the 26-year-old responded,

“The decision was made a long time ago. I decided to play for the (Nigerian) U-20s when I was 19 and the goal was always to play for the first team,” he said.

“As a youngster, we would go there (Nigeria) every two years to visit my mum and dad’s families. It was nice to meet my grandparents and all my cousins. It’s a really nice country; mum’s family is in Lagos.”

Ajayi made his senior debut for Nigeria in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles in 2018.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Damunk wrote:Didn't now Ajayi played for us at the U19 Toulon tournament back in 2013

Interestingly, Wilfred Ndidi, Jamilu Colins, Shehu Abdullahi, Moses Simon and Sebastian Osigwe, (GK) were also part of that squad. :thumb:

Why I dumped Arsenal – Ajayi
Published March 19, 2020

Ebenezer Bajela

https://punchng.com/why-i-dumped-arsenal-ajayi/

Towering West Brom defender, Semi Ajayi, has lifted the lid on why he left Arsenal for Cardiff City after just two seasons with the North London club in 2015, citing search for first-team football as reason for his departure.

Ajayi, who spent a season at Charlton Athletic before joining the Gunners, said he was spotted by Arsenal while playing for Nigeria at the U-21 Toulon tournament in France in 2013.

He added that he joined the London giants because of the quality of the Arsenal academy.

But the Nigeria international was forced to quit Arsenal after he failed to break into the first team, as the Gunners former manager, Arsene Wenger, couldn’t guarantee him a place in the starting 11.

“In fact, I got close to the first team. At one stage, I was first understudy behind Mertesacker and Koscielny but they then bought Gabriel Paulista in January,” Ajayi told the club’s website.

“Arsene Wenger was very honest with me in that he said he wanted me to stay and develop but he couldn’t offer me first-team football at that point.”

When asked if his allegiance was always with Nigeria or England, the 26-year-old responded,

“The decision was made a long time ago. I decided to play for the (Nigerian) U-20s when I was 19 and the goal was always to play for the first team,” he said.

“As a youngster, we would go there (Nigeria) every two years to visit my mum and dad’s families. It was nice to meet my grandparents and all my cousins. It’s a really nice country; mum’s family is in Lagos.”

Ajayi made his senior debut for Nigeria in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles in 2018.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

more
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved