Eze Picks England

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Eze Picks England

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

https://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/10/25/e ... with-rohr/

Told ROHR chill for a while but wil honour England's U21 call next month for a competitive game.
Can wenow move Eze issues to world football? :laugh: Opari!
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Eze Picks England

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Misleading headline
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

If he turns out for England U21, we should forget about him. Dominic Iorfa jnr after his yanga is now willing to play for Nigeria and is playing very well as a CD for one of the early pace setters in the Championship, Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Wolves.
I am happy
Next
Egg
Egg
Re: Eze Picks England: Ebere Eze UPDATE

Post by Next »

Ebere Eze Will Get Invitation To Super Eagles At The Right Time – NFF

https://www.brila.net/ebere-eze-will-ge ... -time-nff/
In form Queens Park Rangers forward Eberechi Eze will get an invitation into the Super Eagles at the right time, this is according to a top Nigeria Football Federation official.

Eze has been in terrific form for the England Championship side so far this season and scoring couple of goals as well.

However the English youth international is now appear to be on radar of Nigeria Football Federation, having linked up with the Africans sometimes in the past.

Nigeria Football Federation official who pleaded anonymity revealed that, the player is under the watch list of Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr and urged him to maintain his impressive form in the Championship.

“Yes, Ebere Eze is doing very well for Queens Park Rangers (QPR) in the Championship in England and it’s good news for us. Besides, he has come to the Super Eagles camp before when we went to play in London. Our scout knows him very well. Nigerians should not be too anxious and put him under undue pressure.”

“There is always space for a good player in a team, most especially like the team we are building at the moment. So the scouts are monitoring him, he’s known to us and we see how it goes. But you know a lot of young players have come into the team of late and it’s an ongoing thing. If you are good enough and you can bring something extraordinary to the team, we can always give you a chance.

“So we are very happy that Ebere Eze is doing well and believe that at the right time he will be giving the chance to play for the Super Eagles.” He said.
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:https://owngoalnigeria.com/2019/10/25/e ... with-rohr/

Told ROHR chill for a while but wil honour England's U21 call next month for a competitive game.
Can wenow move Eze issues to world football? :laugh: Opari!
Have you been drinking again?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

you see the nonsense that I have been preaching since infinity? Another broad day light insult. No man or country of Honor will tolerate such insults and is absolutely despicable how we keep treating these average players. they have to publicly signify their interest before Nff makes a move. otherwise, it will be embarrassment galore
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Misleading headline
The headline might be a bit provoking but it is not misleading at all. If Eze tells Nigeria to wait now it means nothing less than he wants to keep his options open to be called up by England.
Somehow I believe that the english FA works with strategic psychological methods. Because a lot of those young players who hail their nigerian background make a sudden U-turn and decide to play for England. Ich guess they promise these guys better career prospects and warn them not to make the wrong decision for their life.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
Next
Egg
Egg

Post by Next »

DAgrin wrote:
The headline might be a bit provoking but it is not misleading at all. If Eze tells Nigeria to wait now it means nothing less than he wants to keep his options open to be called up by England.
Somehow I believe that the english FA works with strategic psychological methods. Because a lot of those young players who hail their nigerian background make a sudden U-turn and decide to play for England. Ich guess they promise these guys better career prospects and warn them not to make the wrong decision for their life.

@DAgrin:

You are right with your assumption and it appears there is also a trend about this. But l think these Nigerian born British players should also learn something from history: Of all those that agreed to play for England how many have actually had a successful international carrier with the 3 Lions?

They just have to think about it but whatever choice they make they should also learn to live with it..

Cheers
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

How do? Rohr said Eze will continue to turn out for England U21s in COMPETITIVE games which means he will have to switch. He has essentially turned us down.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Not a surprise really. As I noted in a previous thread. He was part of the England u-21 squad just last month. I didn't see any indication that he would switch allegiance at this stage.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Oh well, there’s not much to read into if he prefers to play at U21 level for England rather than qualify to an Afcon and a potential World Cup then I wish him all the best,Nigeria can’t keep waiting (even though they are more likely to wait)!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Next wrote:
DAgrin wrote:

@DAgrin:

You are right with your assumption and it appears there is also a trend about this. But l think these Nigerian born British players should also learn something from history: Of all those that agreed to play for England how many have actually had a successful international carrier with the 3 Lions?

They just have to think about it but whatever choice they make they should also learn to live with it..

Cheers
I think these players are going with their heart. England is where they were born and raised. They probably dreamt of winning the world cup with the 3 lions. I've said this many times on here but there is no guarantee how ones career will turn out if representing England or Nigeria. As you've said very few players (if any) of Nigerian descent have had a successful international career with England. IMO based on evidence and logical thinking, the vast majority of these players (who are not even the cream of crop among British talents) would develop a better career if deciding to play for the SE however I'm sure they know this already. It's not ease for one to forsake ones dreams (playing for England). Eze probably feels it's too early right now.

Like you said, one should think carefully about the choice they make and live with it.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:If he turns out for England U21, we should forget about him. Dominic Iorfa jnr after his yanga is now willing to play for Nigeria and is playing very well as a CD for one of the early pace setters in the Championship, Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Wolves.
isnt that the boy with the foul mouth father? His father needs to apologize to Nigeria first
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Dammy wrote: If he turns out for England U21, we should forget about him. Dominic Iorfa jnr after his yanga is now willing to play for Nigeria and is playing very well as a CD for one of the early pace setters in the Championship, Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Wolves.
Agree! However and I like I have asked in the past severally, 'how good' are these players we are dying to get? If they are good, do they want to play for us?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Odas wrote:
Dammy wrote: If he turns out for England U21, we should forget about him. Dominic Iorfa jnr after his yanga is now willing to play for Nigeria and is playing very well as a CD for one of the early pace setters in the Championship, Sheffield Wednesday on loan from Wolves.
Agree! However and I like I have asked in the past severally, 'how good' are these players we are dying to get? If they are good, do they want to play for us?
Eze is REALLY good, I can tell you that much... the likes of Tottenham are already lining him up for a big transfer deal.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Zelex wrote:
Next wrote:
DAgrin wrote:

@DAgrin:

Cheers
I think these players are going with their heart. England is where they were born and raised. They probably dreamt of winning the world cup with the 3 lions. I've said this many times on here but there is no guarantee how ones career will turn out if representing England or Nigeria. As you've said very few players (if any) of Nigerian descent have had a successful international career with England. IMO based on evidence and logical thinking, the vast majority of these players (who are not even the cream of crop among British talents) would develop a better career if deciding to play for the SE however I'm sure they know this already. It's not ease for one to forsake ones dreams (playing for England). Eze probably feels it's too early right now.

Like you said, one should think carefully about the choice they make and live with it.
I am more surprised by many CE members who erroneously believe that Nigeria has a good chance getting one of these boys when England is also interested. Doing so will be unusual and a major coup. While parents of these boys have a high identity with Nigeria, the boys themselves are more likely to have a high identity with England. That is a social logic. Liking Nigerian music is one thing but these are several other more viable measures of identity including friendships, location of familiarity, etc. None of these decisions is surprising to be honest. If they had chosen Nigeria over a genuine England interest then that will be the SURPRISE.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Enugu II wrote: I am more surprised by many CE members who erroneously believe that Nigeria has a good chance getting one of these boys when England is also interested. Doing so will be unusual and a major coup. While parents of these boys have a high identity with Nigeria, the boys themselves are more likely to have a high identity with England. That is a social logic. Liking Nigerian music is one thing but these are several other more viable measures of identity including friendships, location of familiarity, etc. None of these decisions is surprising to be honest. If they had chosen Nigeria over a genuine England interest then that will be the SURPRISE.
Enugu, it depends on the parents. When we played England at Wembley, most of the England born and raised in the crowd were wearing green and white.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

cic old boy wrote:
Enugu II wrote: I am more surprised by many CE members who erroneously believe that Nigeria has a good chance getting one of these boys when England is also interested. Doing so will be unusual and a major coup. While parents of these boys have a high identity with Nigeria, the boys themselves are more likely to have a high identity with England. That is a social logic. Liking Nigerian music is one thing but these are several other more viable measures of identity including friendships, location of familiarity, etc. None of these decisions is surprising to be honest. If they had chosen Nigeria over a genuine England interest then that will be the SURPRISE.
Enugu, it depends on the parents. When we played England at Wembley, most of the England born and raised in the crowd were wearing green and white.
They will do that but always remember that these lads are adults and will make the decision and not their parents. My sons and daughter have the new Nigerian kit but if they were ever good enough, I know they would take USA first even though they follow both the SE and USA teams closely. Surely, most parents will sincerely want them to play for Naija but these lads have a network of friends that is in England and not Nigeria. I have a guy here doing work on second generation Nigerian immigrants. He was was shocked when he interviewed the second generation Nigerians. They loved the music and some of the food but most loved being in USA than going to Nigeria. They just felt that they did not have a solid network of friends outside the country and they believe they are USA citizens while their parents are Nigerian citizens. Of course, these footballers will be glad to play for the SE if handed the opportunity but only as a default if England does not come calling. We are seeing that and I am not AT ALL surprised. If I was in their shoes, I probably will do the same thing and BTW it is not to state that Nigeria is bad but merely an indication of place of comfort.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

All these British born Nigerians who think representing England is like climbing Mount Everest. What they don't realize is that England they use them and dump them. Iwobi and Moses have benefited playing in World Cups and are constant starters for Naija.

Nigeria need to stop relying on all these foreign born players, I haven't seen anyone actually shine for Nigeria. Stop begging and create your own players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Benedict Iroha wrote:All these British born Nigerians who think representing England is like climbing Mount Everest. What they don't realize is that England they use them and dump them. Iwobi and Moses have benefited playing in World Cups and are constant starters for Naija.

Nigeria need to stop relying on all these foreign born players, I haven't seen anyone actually shine for Nigeria. Stop begging and create your own players.
Benedict Iroha,

It cuts both ways. You remember Sunday Stephen, Efan Ekoku, Kayode Odejayi, and Steven Ukoh? They were all foreign-born and bred who took the chance playing for Nigeria. How many appearances did each of them make? Were they used and dumped by us?
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

moses and iwobi definitely Shined for us
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Prof, I think this is where you and many others are making assumptions. Probably because you are based in North America where the dynamic is very different.

The UK is pretty unique, maybe because we are a small island.
We are only 6 hrs away from Nigeria and in the same time zone.
We are many here and concentrated in clusters, especially London and the big cities.
Peckham in south east London for instance is known as 'mini Lagos'. Other areas like Plumstead and Thamesmead have huge numbers of Nigerian families.
Our churches congest traffic in parts of London on Sunday mornings.

But above all else, pop culture is having a powerful influence on the Nigerian identity and dare I say British society on the whole. Music, film, fashion, food and even language. Nigerian kids born in the UK are now very fluid with their identity. Trust me, I have grown kids, nephews and nieces. Plus I'm dealing with young adults all the time in the course of my work.
In one generation I have seen a clear difference in attitude towards Nigeria. In the last 15-20 years alone I have seen how the very strong Caribbean (Jamaican) culture has slowly ceded ground to African (Nigerian) culture.

Back then I often wondered how and why British-born Jamaican kids that had never been home would clearly identify with Jamaica before they would Britain. It was the norm. It is clearly happening to Nigerian kids too. Yes, they (black kids) are British, but there is something about Britain (or maybe England) that doesn't quite fully 'connect' with them. So when there is a valid alternative identity, they wear it with pride. I grew up as a kid in this country pretending to be Jamaican. Not British or English. Jamaican. That's what black boys did back in the day. Its all changed for Africans now. Its "so cool to be different (African) now", according to my daughter. In short, 'Daz How Star Do'. 8-)

Of course it is not universally so and there are families in which the Nigerian parents are going thru their own identity crisis and have no pride in their own roots for whatever reason. So they pass on their insecurities to their kids. But by and large, many many of our kids here are happy in both skins, so allegiance to one is NOT an easy choice as you suggest. It is more a career choice for most of them (footballers). Emotionally, many are genuinely torn.

I laugh when I read comments like "he is just playing us", or "he never wanted to play for us in the first place", or "He is English, not Nigerian" all followed by insults and general abuse. Its not that simple. People have to realise that everyone needs an identity. For black kids in the UK, even in 2019, 'Britain' or 'England' isn't the ideal identity they are looking for. We can go into reasons for that another time. You can even see here on CE how many if not most Nigerians resident here in the UK can be very anti-British. There's a reason.

It is also why the 'Cricket Test' debate came about in the 90s.
The cricket test, also known as the Tebbit test, was a controversial phrase coined in April 1990 by the British Conservative politician Norman Tebbit in reference to the perceived lack of loyalty to the England cricket team among South Asian and Caribbean immigrants and their children. Tebbit suggested that those immigrants who support their native countries rather than England at the sport of cricket are not significantly integrated into the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_test
The American experience seems very different. My observation is that Africans seem quick and very happy to take on the American identity. You can again see it reflected here on CE and I guess it says a lot about the nature of American society that somehow, despite all its flaws, makes people feel a part of it. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Damunk wrote:
Prof, I think this is where you and many others are making assumptions. Probably because you are based in North America where the dynamic is very different.

The UK is pretty unique, maybe because we are a small island.
We are only 6 hrs away from Nigeria and in the same time zone.
We are many here and concentrated in clusters, especially London and the big cities.
Peckham in south east London for instance is known as 'mini Lagos'. Other areas like Plumstead and Thamesmead have huge numbers of Nigerian families.
Our churches congest traffic in parts of London on Sunday mornings.

But above all else, pop culture is having a powerful influence on the Nigerian identity and dare I say British society on the whole. Music, film, fashion, food and even language. Nigerian kids born in the UK are now very fluid with their identity. Trust me, I have grown kids, nephews and nieces. Plus I'm dealing with young adults all the time in the course of my work.
In one generation I have seen a clear difference in attitude towards Nigeria. In the last 15-20 years alone I have seen how the very strong Caribbean (Jamaican) culture has slowly ceded ground to African (Nigerian) culture.

Back then I often wondered how and why British-born Jamaican kids that had never been home would clearly identify with Jamaica before they would Britain. It was the norm. It is clearly happening to Nigerian kids too. Yes, they (black kids) are British, but there is something about Britain (or maybe England) that doesn't quite fully 'connect' with them. So when there is a valid alternative identity, they wear it with pride. I grew up as a kid in this country pretending to be Jamaican. Not British or English. Jamaican. That's what black boys did back in the day. Its all changed for Africans now. Its "so cool to be different (African) now", according to my daughter. In short, 'Daz How Star Do'. 8-)

Of course it is not universally so and there are families in which the Nigerian parents are going thru their own identity crisis and have no pride in their own roots for whatever reason. So they pass on their insecurities to their kids. But by and large, many many of our kids here are happy in both skins, so allegiance to one is NOT an easy choice as you suggest. It is more a career choice for most of them (footballers). Emotionally, many are genuinely torn.

I laugh when I read comments like "he is just playing us", or "he never wanted to play for us in the first place", or "He is English, not Nigerian" all followed by insults and general abuse. Its not that simple. People have to realise that everyone needs an identity. For black kids in the UK, even in 2019, 'Britain' or 'England' isn't the ideal identity they are looking for. We can go into reasons for that another time. You can even see here on CE how many if not most Nigerians resident here in the UK can be very anti-British. There's a reason.

It is also why the 'Cricket Test' debate came about in the 90s.
The cricket test, also known as the Tebbit test, was a controversial phrase coined in April 1990 by the British Conservative politician Norman Tebbit in reference to the perceived lack of loyalty to the England cricket team among South Asian and Caribbean immigrants and their children. Tebbit suggested that those immigrants who support their native countries rather than England at the sport of cricket are not significantly integrated into the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_test
The American experience seems very different. My observation is that Africans seem quick and very happy to take on the American identity. You can again see it reflected here on CE and I guess it says a lot about the nature of American society that somehow, despite all its flaws, makes people feel a part of it. :thumb:
Damunk, :clap: :clap: :clap: insightful and bang on the money.

The issues run really deep, when you listen to the likes of Leon Balogun, Ekong and now Okoye, there is a common attraction all tied to identify. The likes of Tammy, Dele Ali have a different orientation and growing up in the English establishment they feel 'accepted' and have a deep sense of wanting to belong, just like the likes of Ian Wright.

The good thing is that the Nigerian brand is rising internationally, be it music, film or sport. Those that will buy in don't need convincing. As a country it is important that we extend the opportunity to all whole merit it but we should let those who choose otherwise to live in peace.

For every Eze, there are another half a dozen that haven't been discovered.