21-MAN LIST FOR U23 AFCON

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
21-MAN LIST FOR U23 AFCON

Post by Gotti »

I am usually an optimist...
But this one go hard well well.

Team left for Egypt on Thursday...
After not really training together.

Top 3 teams qualify for 2020 Olympics.
GOOD LUCK LADS!!!

#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 21-MAN LIST FOR U23 AFCON

Post by Gotti »

Some of the Lads

Tom Dele-Bashiru

Kelechi Nwakali

*Picture Credit: NFF Twitter
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

For those CEs resident in the US...
U23 AFCON matches will be televised by BeIN Sports.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I remember watching nwakali vs Atletico's Madrid and thinking "what a talent" only for him to go into oblivion. it will be good if he can stamp his authority at this tournament
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Do we know if all the foreign based players will be released by their clubs?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

olu wrote:Do we know if all the foreign based players will be released by their clubs?
For them to be on the official final list, one woulda thought all that woulda been confirmed.

Again, sad to see there are only 6 local players that made the squad even at this U23 level, 3 of whom are 'keepers.

"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The team has arrived in Egypt...

#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:Again, sad to see there are only 6 local players that made the squad even at this U23 level, 3 of whom are 'keepers.
The local players have not played competitive football in almost 6 months (since May)...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:Again, sad to see there are only 6 local players that made the squad even at this U23 level, 3 of whom are 'keepers.
The local players have not played competitive football in almost 6 months (since May)...
Also, like Rohr said, you invite them today and tomorrow they are in Europe. Sunday Faleye starred in the last CHAN finals while Valentine Ozornwafor was in Enyimba last season. There could be others in the team like that. There is no static pool of home based players.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Gotti wrote:
Same with a number of the foreign based players.

This is going to be a very hard one for the lads. Players lacking match fitness and no time playing together. But this is furball, anything can happen.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Gotti wrote:
What happened to the local league? I hope it's not all down to politics again.

I would take these guys over the local U23 side that failed to inspire in so many games tho. At least here we don't know what we're gonna get.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I would take these guys over the local U23 side that failed to inspire in so many games tho. At least here we don't know what we're gonna get.
The CHAN team was supposed to have been the U23 side.
How true is this and how many made this squad we now have?
I
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Damunk wrote:
Orion wrote:
Gotti wrote:

The CHAN team was supposed to have been the U23 side.
How true is this and how many made this squad we now have?
I
This U23 project had problems from the start as the coach is seemingly unable to put a local team together that can get results. Each time they're bailed out by the foreign-based pros. The local guys featured in the WAFU Cup and CHAN qualifiers (which ideally, should have been adequate preparations for this competition) but they messed up there too.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Gotti wrote:For those CEs resident in the US...
Thanks, Gotti.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:I am usually an optimist...
But this one go hard well well.

Team left for Egypt on Thursday...
After not really training together.

Top 3 teams qualify for 2020 Olympics.
GOOD LUCK LADS!!!

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Outside of Uzoho's injury, it is about as good a squad that we could have hoped for, given the inactivity of the homeboys & the fact that none of the top 5 leagues will release their regular squad players (So no Osimhen, Okereke, Dennis) etc.

The Falcons losing out is a big bummer, but it will be great to have 3 Nigerian teams at the Olympics. The men's football and both basketball teams (the women still need to qualify though).
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Gotti wrote:For those CEs resident in the US...
Great news! thanks for the info!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

There is some talent in this squad particulary in MF and attack:

Azubuike and Dele Bashiru are both very good CMs.
Okonkwo is a direct, strong, and pacy wing forward that can score goals.
Awoniyi is a solid CF.
Bright was pretty good last season with Coventry in league one. Will be interesting to see how he does on loan this season with Wigan in the Championship.
Despite question marks about fitness, Nwakali remains a very talented young player.

The problem for this team may be team chemistry. Also, not sure about the defense and goal keeping departments.
Last edited by olu on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

olu wrote:There is some talent in this squad particulary in MF and attack:

Azubuike and Dele Bashiru are both very good CMs.
Okonkwo is a direct, strong, and pacy wing forward that can score goals.
Awoniyi is a solid CF.
Bright who is currently on loan with Wigan from Wolves has been very good this season even though he's currently playing in league one.
Despite question marks about fitness, Nwakali remains a very talented young player.

The problem for this team may be team chemistry. Also, not sure about the defense and goal keeping departments.
Yes, the squad contains reasonable talent...
However, we cannot just throw together random players and expect great team performance.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Rohr drops by the U23 training in Ismailia, Egypt...

Picture Credit: NFF Twitter page
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Gotti wrote:Rohr drops by the U23 training in Ismailia, Egypt...
I am not sure its a good idea. He could have just turned up at the tournament to watch the boys.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Lolly wrote:
Gotti wrote:Rohr drops by the U23 training in Ismailia, Egypt...
I am not sure its a good idea. He could have just turned up at the tournament to watch the boys.
Nah national team coach now.. He could offer his thoughts to the coaching staff.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Nwakali has been named skipper. This may be his last chance. I am tired of this boy's constant waste of his talent.