Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Iwobi in action
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13389
Location: USA
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
charlie wrote:
And this is why we need to calm down with the hate against these players.
They put their bodies on the line to entertain us, and sometimes yes the cost is too high.



Emm, they don't do it to entertain us. They do it because they love the game and get a handsome reward. If I had the chance, I would do it in a heartbeat....and entertaining you will be way down on my list of priorities.
Chicken and egg.
They wouldn't get such handsome rewards and probably wouldn't love the game so much if we were not thoroughly entertained by them.


No, it's not a chicken and egg issue. Our entertainment is a by-product of their love. You pick up a ball because you love to do so...It's not a public service, but a personal/commercial service first.

Saying 'they put their bodies on the line to entertain us' is pretty ridiculous. They are among the highest-paid humans in the world. Does the Investment Banker put his brain/body on the line to provide humanity capital? Is that why he/she does it?

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iwobi in action
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:14 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 40652
Location: UK
deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
charlie wrote:
And this is why we need to calm down with the hate against these players.
They put their bodies on the line to entertain us, and sometimes yes the cost is too high.


Emm, they don't do it to entertain us. They do it because they love the game and get a handsome reward. If I had the chance, I would do it in a heartbeat....and entertaining you will be way down on my list of priorities.
Chicken and egg.
They wouldn't get such handsome rewards and probably wouldn't love the game so much if we were not thoroughly entertained by them.


No, it's not a chicken and egg issue. Our entertainment is a by-product of their love. You pick up a ball because you love to do so...It's not a public service, but a personal/commercial service first.

Saying 'they put their bodies on the line to entertain us' is pretty ridiculous. They are among the highest-paid humans in the world. Does the Investment Banker put his brain/body on the line to provide humanity capital? Is that why he/she does it?
I disagree that it s not chicken and egg.
This is a difference of opinion/perspective - which is fine.
But for you to insist that your perspective is the sole 'right' perspective is what is wrong and that's why I disagree.

Lets possibly agree on a slight modification to that sentence....
'they put their bodies on the line and entertain us'.

What do you think? :sneaky:

As for the bankers, they're putting nothing on the line anyway. Nothing of theirs is at risk in their jobs.
Soldiers, police officers, intelligence operatives, firemen...maybe even doctors and nurses, yes. They love their jobs no more or no less than the footballers.

Pay is just a function of how much society values and is willing to pay for their services.
Entertainment obviously pays more.

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Iwobi in action
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 13389
Location: USA
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:
deanotito wrote:
charlie wrote:
And this is why we need to calm down with the hate against these players.
They put their bodies on the line to entertain us, and sometimes yes the cost is too high.


Emm, they don't do it to entertain us. They do it because they love the game and get a handsome reward. If I had the chance, I would do it in a heartbeat....and entertaining you will be way down on my list of priorities.
Chicken and egg.
They wouldn't get such handsome rewards and probably wouldn't love the game so much if we were not thoroughly entertained by them.


No, it's not a chicken and egg issue. Our entertainment is a by-product of their love. You pick up a ball because you love to do so...It's not a public service, but a personal/commercial service first.

Saying 'they put their bodies on the line to entertain us' is pretty ridiculous. They are among the highest-paid humans in the world. Does the Investment Banker put his brain/body on the line to provide humanity capital? Is that why he/she does it?
I disagree that it s not chicken and egg.
This is a difference of opinion/perspective - which is fine.
But for you to insist that your perspective is the sole 'right' perspective is what is wrong and that's why I disagree.

Lets possibly agree on a slight modification to that sentence....
'they put their bodies on the line and entertain us'.

What do you think? :sneaky:

As for the bankers, they're putting nothing on the line anyway. Nothing of theirs is at risk in their jobs.
Soldiers, police officers, intelligence operatives, firemen...maybe even doctors and nurses, yes. They love their jobs no more or no less than the footballers.

Pay is just a function of how much society values and is willing to pay for their services.
Entertainment obviously pays more.


Hey Bro, I was planning on checking on this topic and typing something very similar to what you just typed. It ain't worth arguing about....if we just switch some words. I think both of us understand each other's points...and our points (and Charlie's) are more similar than where they may have originally seemed.
:thumbs:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group