Dangote to renovate Abuja national stadium

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Dangote to renovate Abuja national stadium

Post by Dammy »

The minister of sports, Sunday Dare, has announced that Africa's richest man, Aliko Dangote, has agreed to renovate the Moshood Abiola national stadium Abuja as part of his organisation's Corporate Social Responsibility(CSR). Renovation work is expected to start in 2 weeks time.
This brings the question of why do we appoint incompetent people into important public offices? Solomon Dalung was sports minister for 4 years and all he did was wear a stupid red beret all over the place. He couldn't even regrass the pitch in the stadium for the SE's send off game for the 2018 WC, hence the match was moved to Port Harcourt.
At our level of national development we can't afford to waste time by appointment nincompoops like Dalung into public office.
I am happy
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Dangote to renovate Abuja national stadium

Post by ohenhen1 »

Waste of money, attendance at that stadium is low.

Should spend the money on the stadium in Lagos or build a new one.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Do you renovate the stadium every 5 years or something? You should just build another stadium in Lagos where it would be likely used for other events and hence likely generate revenue for continued maintenance. Abuja that I saw was a ghost town, it had no life like Lagos, unless things have changed in the last few years. Small Colleges in the US are able to maintain decent playing stadiums, why can't Nigeria?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

ANC wrote:Do you renovate the stadium every 5 years or something? You should just build another stadium in Lagos where it would be likely used for other events and hence likely generate revenue for continued maintenance. Abuja that I saw was a ghost town, it had no life like Lagos, unless things have changed in the last few years. Small Colleges in the US are able to maintain decent playing stadiums, why can't Nigeria?
You are on point, I have not even visited Abuja and I am a Nigerian. But the politicians dey Abuja, they are known for white elephant projects that only have political benefits, no real economic benefit.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ohenhen1 wrote:
ANC wrote:Do you renovate the stadium every 5 years or something? You should just build another stadium in Lagos where it would be likely used for other events and hence likely generate revenue for continued maintenance. Abuja that I saw was a ghost town, it had no life like Lagos, unless things have changed in the last few years. Small Colleges in the US are able to maintain decent playing stadiums, why can't Nigeria?
You are on point, I have not even visited Abuja and I am a Nigerian. But the politicians dey Abuja, they are known for white elephant projects that only have political benefits, no real economic benefit.
Look at this ohene, do you even go to Nigeria?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Look at this ohene, do you even go to Nigeria?
He goes on social media. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I am going to Lagos for Christmas 2 weeks. Lagos is my home. Could also take a trip to Calabar for the festival. Wetin concern me with dry Abuja and the crooks that call themselves. Law breakers:

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ohenhen1 wrote:I am going to Lagos for Christmas 2 weeks. Lagos is my home. Could also take a trip to Calabar for the festival. Wetin concern me with dry Abuja and the crooks that call themselves. Law breakers:
you've not been to Nigeria, talkless of even visiting and no one buys the crap you will be in gidi come Christmas . I am very sure
SuperEagles

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:I am going to Lagos for Christmas 2 weeks. Lagos is my home. Could also take a trip to Calabar for the festival. Wetin concern me with dry Abuja and the crooks that call themselves. Law breakers:
you've not been to Nigeria, talkless of even visiting and no one buys the crap you will be in gidi come Christmas . I am very sure
Why should I care what you believe or not?

:D

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Why should I care what you believe or not?

:D
you tried to pull a fast one, you've never been to naija
SuperEagles

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

A 60k brand new Stadium in Surulere would have been better. Super Eagles need to get back to Lagos the real home of the Eagles. We need our Wembley back.

They should have demolish both Stadium in Surulere.

Build something like this...Iraqi stadium

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Benedict Iroha wrote:A 60k brand new Stadium in Surulere would have been better. Super Eagles need to get back to Lagos the real home of the Eagles. We need our Wembley back.

I agree, I wrote to Ambode suggesting a 75K seater stadium. Some one responded saying they will consider my suggestion. The next thing that happened was that they renovated Onikan and put in natural grass for Teslim Balogun stadium. Also announced the renovation for the stadium in Ajegunle. The Onikan stadium is 5K. Teslim Balogun is about 25K. The FG was suppose to concession the National stadium in Lagos to the Lagos state government. Nothing has happened.

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:A 60k brand new Stadium in Surulere would have been better. Super Eagles need to get back to Lagos the real home of the Eagles. We need our Wembley back.

I agree, I wrote to Ambode suggesting a 75K seater stadium. Some one responded saying they will consider my suggestion. The next thing that happened was that they renovated Onikan and put in natural grass for Teslim Balogun stadium. Also announced the renovation for the stadium in Ajegunle. The Onikan stadium is 5K. Teslim Balogun is about 25K. The FG was suppose to concession the National stadium in Lagos to the Lagos state government. Nothing has happened.
They just finished renovating the Onikan Stadium. :boo:

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohenhen1 wrote:Waste of money, attendance at that stadium is low.

:agree: :agree: :agree: Besides, who is going to care for the Stadium after the renovation?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Selling the Abuja stadium renovation to Dangote as part of his corporate social responsibility is the type of brilliant idea we need in leadership.

Onikan stadium renovated also a good development. Per getting a shiny new stadium, seems nobody has figured out the benefit. SE playing there is not enough to motivate an individual nor consortium to build it and the government can't afford it. Investors are abound locally and internationally. Someone just has to sell it. Lagos is primed for a large capacity stadium.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Having a "national stadium" should not be a priority for Nigeria. People are talking of whether it should be in Lagos or Abuja etc. It should not be in either place! Nigeria cannot afford to build and maintain a massive 60,000 seater national stadium that will host a grand total of about 3 games every year (52 weeks). Building a stadium that will be empty for 95% of the time is a waste of money. It is feasible only if there is a local club team that can use the stadium when the NT is not playing there. Neither Lagos nor Abuja has a popular club team that can sell out a 60,000 seater stadium.

That means the best thing for now is to just let the NT use and rotate round good stadiums that are used by Nigerian club teams.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If they build the 75 k stadium and lease it to private management it can be properly maintained and it can be used for both sporting and non sporting activities. We can have conferences, concerts, Football games and etc. They must make it a fun family atmosphere to attract people. Can even have tours: Most be a modern stadium with Wi-Fi and etc. if done properly it will create jobs and increase tax revenue to help pay back the loan for the project. It should cost about 600 million dollars.

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The issue is that this is a palliative solution. After this, then what, when it falls apart again? Wait for another handout?

It was really stupid naming the stadium after Abiola. What's the point of doing that and then the stadium looks dilapidated?

They should've offered naming rights to one of the companies (telecoms, banks, oil and gas, aviation, etc), and used part of the revenue for maintenance. Then in return they get the NFA to guarantee that an agreed percentage of national team (world cup qualifiers, AFCON qualifiers, WWC, U-23, U-20, U-17) and even some important local matches are played there every year.

Airtel stadium, or MTN Stadium, or Access bank stadium, Emirates, or Total stadium makes a whole lot more sense than MKO Abiola stadium. There's already one of those in Abeokuta.

You want to honor Abiola, build a museum, that showcases his life, and the general struggle for democracy, have it include others like Kudirat, Dele Giva, Ken Sari Wiwa etc. Not some stupid stadium name that does nothing for his legacy.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

They just finished renovating the Onikan Stadium. :boo:

Renovating the Onikan stadium was another dumb idea. The place is way too small for a standard sized stadium.

They should've instead built a multipurpose complex there like the O2 Arena, TD Garden, Staples Center, MSG, etc that could've been used for basketball games in the hope of attracting NBA Africa, and even indoor concerts. Both Rwanda and Senegal have beaten us to the punch by building theirs. In addition to South Africa of course.

I don't know who advises these clowns. Yes I know they wanted to make money from the contract but they could've still made a killing while building something more sensible.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

theYemster wrote:Renovating the Onikan stadium was another dumb idea. The place is way too small for a standard sized stadium.

They should've instead built a multipurpose complex there like the O2 Arena, TD Garden, Staples Center, MSG, etc that could've been used for basketball games in the hope of attracting NBA Africa, and even indoor concerts. Both Rwanda and Senegal have beaten us to the punch by building theirs. In addition to South Africa of course.

I don't know who advises these clowns. Yes I know they wanted to make money from the contract but they could've still made a killing while building something more sensible.
Making too much sense as usual.
I could never quite figure out what the hell they thought they were doing building a 5000 capacity football arena?

Unless maybe something has been lost in translation.
Or maybe they got their measurements wrong.... :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Yup, naming rights fee and leasing fee is how you help fund maintenance costs. You can even have the private company that leases the stadium do all of the maintenance. The lease fee can cover security costs. Government can get a share of revenue and collect taxes.

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

theYemster wrote:

The issue is that this is a palliative solution. After this, then what, when it falls apart again? Wait for another handout?

It was really stupid naming the stadium after Abiola. What's the point of doing that and then the stadium looks dilapidated?

They should've offered naming rights to one of the companies (telecoms, banks, oil and gas, aviation, etc), and used part of the revenue for maintenance. Then in return they get the NFA to guarantee that an agreed percentage of national team (world cup qualifiers, AFCON qualifiers, WWC, U-23, U-20, U-17) and even some important local matches are played there every year.

Airtel stadium, or MTN Stadium, or Access bank stadium, Emirates, or Total stadium makes a whole lot more sense than MKO Abiola stadium. There's already one of those in Abeokuta.

You want to honor Abiola, build a museum, that showcases his life, and the general struggle for democracy, have it include others like Kudirat, Dele Giva, Ken Sari Wiwa etc. Not some stupid stadium name that does nothing for his legacy.
Kpom! Our leaders are out of tune with contemporary practices.
I am happy
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

To be honest that lagos is a disgrace. Look at the surrounding of the stadium. Haba!
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt