Report on the Match

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Report on the Match

Post by Tobi17 »

https://africanfootball.com/news/774393 ... of-Group-L

Nigeria got their 2021 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) qualifying campaign off the perfect start with a 2-1 win over Benin at Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo on Wednesday evening.

Victory moves the Super Eagles top of Group L after one round of fixtures, with Sierra Leone and Lesotho having played out a 1-1 draw in Freetown at the same time.

Benin silenced the home crowd as Stephane Sessegnon fired the visitors into an early lead. A lapse in concentration set up the former Premier League attacker for an easy finish as he fired home past Daniel Akpeyi with just five minutes on the clock.

Nigeria improved as the half went on and after Samuel Chukwueze rattled the woodwork, the Super Eagles were handed a golden chance to level matters on the cusp of half-time after Ola Aina was bundled over in the penalty area.

Lille’s Victor Osimhen stepped up to the spot and continued his goal-scoring form to draw the two teams level in first-half stoppage time.

Samuel Kalu sealed all three points in the 63rd minute following a superb solo effort as Nigeria now turn their attention to Lesotho, who they will face in Maseru on Sunday.

Next up for Benin is a home fixture versus Sierra Leone this coming weekend.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: Report on the Match

Post by Tobi17 »

Another one

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=34329

Nigeria produced an impressive comeback at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium after coming from behind to beat Benin Republic 2-1 in their opening group game of the 2021 African Cup of Nations qualifiers on Wednesday evening.

Gernot Rohr made three changes to the side that executed the last international game versus Brazil, with Daniel Akpeyi, Ola Aina and Samuel Kalu afforded starting spots in Uyo.

Nigeria suffered a blow after just three minutes in when some sloppy defending allowed Stephane Sessegnon to slot past Daniel Akpeyi and put the visitors ahead.

Nigeria flew out at their opponents after the setback, with Samuel Chukwueze and Alex Iwobi looking particularly dangerous, and the former could have gotten the equaliser when he struck the frame with his shot.

The leveller eventually arrived from the spot just before the break, after Iwobi played in Ola Aina who was brought down by Nabil Yarou in the area. Victor Osimhen duly stepped up and sent Fabien Farnolle the wrong way.

Rohr's team upped their ante after the restart and the pressure they sustained on the opposition soon paid off when Samuel Kalu took on the opposition defence in breathtaking style before bending a low shot into the bottom left corner in the 63rd minute.

The Squirrels however, nearly grabbed an equaliser late on when Jordel Dossou pranced through the Nigerian defence and crashed a powerful shot off the under side of the crossbar.

However, Farnolle was still required to palm away a sizzling drive from Iwobi in the closing stages, and that was as good as it got for Nigeria who thus, opened their qualifying adventure with a victory.

Nigeria's starting XI: Akpeyi, Ajayi, Troost-Ekong, Aina, Collins, Ndidi, Aribo, Iwobi, Kalu, Chukwueze, Osimhen.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

See us in 2019. :laugh:
[/video]
OCCUPY NFF!!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:See us in 2019. :laugh:
[/video]
:oops: :oops:
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

We had a game today? lolol
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:See us in 2019. :laugh:
[/video]
:oops: :oops:
Mschew waiting on proper highlights, what is this sef...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

But guys was making it sound like Akpeyi was at fault for Benin's goal...Na wa oh...smdh
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

this looks like a better highlight clips - make u na maange am :biggrin:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

walesvilla wrote:

You try abeg, half bread is better than puff puff.... Judging by the highlight... It seems the boys had some good attacking moments and had the Beninoise defence on the back foot for the best moments... more goals would have been scored if better decisions were made in the final third... they need to cut off the show-boating sometimes and make the easy pass for an open player.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

walesvilla wrote:

Who was that fool who took a pass after good hold up play from Osimhen, instead of shooting, decided to return the pass to Victor to shoot from a worse angle?!
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bushboy wrote:
walesvilla wrote:

Who was that fool who took a pass after good hold up play from Osimhen, instead of shooting, decided to return the pass to Victor to shoot from a worse angle?!
Aribo? Anyways good stuff, 3 points all that matters, looks like we were the better team overall
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote:
walesvilla wrote:

You try abeg, half bread is better than puff puff.... Judging by the highlight... It seems the boys had some good attacking moments and had the Beninoise defence on the back foot for the best moments... more goals would have been scored if better decisions were made in the final third... they need to cut off the show-boating sometimes and make the easy pass for an open player.
A lot of the time, not just sometimes.
Seems Chukwueze lets it get to his head. He is young but he needs to act maturely and professionally.
With all the attacking possession they only scored twice.

Well done to the boys sha, but....
"Can do better" 8-)
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

bushboy wrote:
walesvilla wrote:

You saw a fool in that 5min clip? That's foolish isn't it?
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

walesvilla wrote:

thanks for this. Clearest video ive seen so far. Man.. that iwobi to Osimhen connection is exciting!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

metalalloy wrote:
walesvilla wrote:

thanks for this. Clearest video ive seen so far. Man.. that iwobi to Osimhen connection is exciting!
Iwobi, Sami, and Osimhen combined beautifully... promising times for Nigeria
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
bushboy wrote:
walesvilla wrote:

Yes, I did. But on second watch, Osimhen's shot was very poor. A quality strker would bend that into the far corner. The angle was not as bad as I initially thought. But the pass back was not needed. I stand by that.
Who will be next?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bushboy wrote:
bushboy wrote:
walesvilla wrote:

Yes, I did. But on second watch, Osimhen's shot was very poor. A quality strker would bend that into the far corner. The angle was not as bad as I initially thought. But the pass back was not needed. I stand by that.
I agree. He shoulda taken the shot himself.
It was a bad decision but nothing more than that.
It was no more foolish a decision than your decision to call him "a fool".
We all get a rush to the head from time to know.
You've both had one within hours of each other. :D
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:
bushboy wrote:
bushboy wrote:
walesvilla wrote:

I agree. He shoulda taken the shot himself.
It was a bad decision but nothing more than that.
It was no more foolish a decision than your decision to call him "a fool".
We all get a rush to the head from time to know.
You've both had one within hours of each other. :D

He does what he does best, again. :taunt:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

We can finally see things clearly, kai Colin’s and poor defending :scared:

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:We can finally see things clearly, kai Colin’s and poor defending :scared:

[/video]
At last! Something to actually see.
Thanks maceo4.

Observations:
Collins was beaten silly for that Benin goal. Like he was still in the dressing room.
The team recovered from the goal well, didn't seem to panic.
Team chemistry seems very good.
Created many chances all thru the match, but they need to be more ruthless in front of goal.
Most players seem very comfortable on the ball.
Composure needed esp in final third: Osimhen, Aribo and Chukwueze all guilty of rushed decisions.
Kalu is a gem that will continue to win us free kicks wth his 'dont-touch-me' trickery in the box.

I think we can safely say we are at the dawn of a new era as the team gets even stronger with positive reinforcements - replacements have to be better than whoever they are replacing.

I am assuming this video is a fair reflection of how the game went overall. :thumb:
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Wow the scoreline would have spelt B.E.N.I.N if our boys were a bit more accurate with the amount of chances we got.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

why does a fan camera have better quality than a tv-station camera
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.