This is the Best SE I have seen since 1994

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This is the Best SE I have seen since 1994

Post by Gotti »

Damunk wrote:Who was referring to your post?
You sef.
You can get a little too prickly a little too often.
That YOU thought my comment referred to YOU smacks of paranoia! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I am tempted to say what the fact that you're apparently clueless that the post you signed-on to was addressed DIRECTLY to me smacks of, but too respectful of elders to do so... :lol: :lol: :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Gotti wrote:
Damunk wrote:Who was referring to your post?
You sef.
You can get a little too prickly a little too often.
That YOU thought my comment referred to YOU smacks of paranoia! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I am tempted to say what the fact that you're apparently clueless that the post you signed-on to was addressed DIRECTLY to me smacks of, but too respectful of elders to do so... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
'Apparent' to you, but in reality, you're the one who has got it all mixed up. :taunt:

I was going to add to my last post that simply because the deantito post I was responding to was itself responding to you, does not automatically imply that I was doing the same. Surely as a top lawyer you get that.
No?

The deantito post clearly had elements to it which could be taken as general comments - particularly about 'debating Keshi' which is what I specifically highlighted and responded to.
If it was all about you and "debating Keshi with you" I am sure he is quite capable of making that very clear.

For whatever reason you are being a bit defensive here and if anyone in the past has rightly or wrongly accused you or even merely suggested that you are a Keshi apologist of some sort, I really am not aware of it and don't carry it around in my head. That was the furthest thing from my mind when I responded in that post. Besides, I was accused of being one myself when he was in charge.
But 'apparently', I am now a WOWO. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So believe it or not (and it matters not anyway), I was NOT referring to you in my response.

This from over 6 months ago gives some idea of what I was referring to. As far as I know, you've never accused me or most others of disrespecting Keshi simply by supporting Rohr. But some have and those are the ones I was referring to.
Damunk wrote:Becos VE is with us in backing Rohr does not make us 'guilty by association' of denigrating Keshi and his achievements.
Maybe it makes some of them feel justified in denigrating what Rohr has achieved so far.

I don't know why we can't just wholeheartedly support our national team coach - whoever he might be - until he well and truly fails.
But that's the complex country called Nigeria for you. :idea:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=294217

I hope that clears things up. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:By the way deano, full game dey for YouTube if you’re interested:

Thank you Mace. Just did. And even more than before, I think the people that started and are promoting this thread probably didn't watch the game with a clear head. Wasnt a clean performance at all, and we were given 2 BIG breaks by the referee that were quite frankly, confusing. The only place I changed my mind was on Aribo. He didn't play quite as badly as I had previously thought. He was actually pretty decent.

but when people quote Keshi as the greatest for qualifying for the 2nd round of WC from THE EASIEST GROUP that year, do they also mention the BIG BREAK we were given against Bosnia, when they scored a legitimate goal that was called off.

Breaks are a part of every game.

Let me clarify for you something you dont seem to understand.

In terms of ATTACKING FOOTBALL
In terms of PASSING AND OFF BALL RUNNING
In terms of CREATING CHANCES

all things we generally associate with "Nigerian football"

Yes this current SE OVER THE PAST 4 MATCHES, is better than any SE team I have seen since 1994-96

Capiche
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

vancity eagle wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:By the way deano, full game dey for YouTube if you’re interested:

Thank you Mace. Just did. And even more than before, I think the people that started and are promoting this thread probably didn't watch the game with a clear head. Wasnt a clean performance at all, and we were given 2 BIG breaks by the referee that were quite frankly, confusing. The only place I changed my mind was on Aribo. He didn't play quite as badly as I had previously thought. He was actually pretty decent.

but when people quote Keshi as the greatest for qualifying for the 2nd round of WC from THE EASIEST GROUP that year, do they also mention the BIG BREAK we were given against Bosnia, when they scored a legitimate goal that was called off.

Yes this current SE OVER THE PAST 4 MATCHES, is better than any SE team I have seen since 1994-96

Capiche
"People" are "people". They say wharever. You're obviously falling into the same trap...and are free to do so.

When I judge teams and coaches, I take level of difficulty into account, quality of play and quality of victories, breaks - for and against.

But I'm yet to see signs that this team can exceed the performances of predecessor teams...and that's really what matters at this point. I've seen great passing before. What I am tired of is the Nigerian team losing to Argentina by 1 goal in 5 of the last 6 world cups....and whimpering into the 2nd round only to be eliminated. That is the definition of stagnation.

What we need is professionalism in our play.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Deano,

You do make some valid points, but have you taken into context (and I did bring this up in my earlier post) that our players simply wanted to play cautious football (you know keeping it simple) against Lesotho in order to avoid injuries? especially when you consider how tricky it can be playing on an artificial turf. Needless to mention the very important aspect of weather/altitude which could also factor into the whole point... and remember those supposedly minnow teams have majority of their players based in Africa and playing in their indigenous clubs, so they know the turf better than the mostly foreign based players that the big teams parade. Also I could be wrong, but the boys didn't even have adequate time gap after that Benin game to rest and train (acquaint themselves with the Lesotho turf and revv up their engines after some good rest)... maybe that's why they didn't come out firing from all cylinders for the best part of the first half?

My point is, no player wants to get injured and face the risk of losing out on a full season for his club because he's on international duty, over-commiting yourself to the typical rough terrain and conditions of African football especially against smaller teams whose players have nothing to lose, and will break your legs if they can just to drive home that point isn't particularly smart. The boys have got careers to protect as well, so you shouldn't expect pretty/perfect football within that context.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Tobi17 wrote:Deano,

You do make some valid points, but have you taken into context (and I did bring this up in my earlier post) that our players simply wanted to play cautious football (you know keeping it simple) against Lesotho in order to avoid injuries? especially when you consider how tricky it can be playing on an artificial turf. Needless to mention the very important aspect of weather/altitude which could also factor into the whole point... and remember those supposedly minnow teams have majority of their players based in Africa and playing in their indigenous clubs, so they know the turf better than the mostly foreign based players that the big teams parade. Also I could be wrong, but the boys didn't even have adequate time gap after that Benin game to rest and train (acquaint themselves with the Lesotho turf and revv up their engines after some good rest)... maybe that's why they didn't come out firing from all cylinders for the best part of the first half?

My point is, no player wants to get injured and face the risk of losing out on a full season for his club because he's on international duty, over-commiting yourself to the typical rough terrain and conditions of African football especially against smaller teams whose players have nothing to lose, and will break your legs if they can just to drive home that point isn't particularly smart. The boys have got careers to protect as well, so you shouldn't expect pretty/perfect football within that context.
I did not mean to imply that the players did not play well or that the result was not good. It was. I am just surprised at the level of “carry away” that I am seeing both on CE and outside. I read one report and had to do a double take to make sure it was the same match I watched that was being referred to.

There was lots to clean up. And my sincere hope is that they clean it up.

I was in Russia, and I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to be attending another World Cup for some time to come, but in recent months, and with the prodding of a friend, I have started to reconsider. I will like to do a 180 and go to Qatar, but for me, I have to see signs that Nigeria is not going to crush my soul again.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

vancity eagle wrote:but when people quote Keshi as the greatest for qualifying for the 2nd round of WC from THE EASIEST GROUP that year, do they also mention the BIG BREAK we were given against Bosnia, when they scored a legitimate goal that was called off.

Capiche
Feel free to go petition FIFA...
And if they decline, to go cuddle the nearest live transformer. :lol: :lol: :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

vancity eagle wrote:Yes I said it.

Since 2019 ANC Rohr has answered his critics by playing free flowing attacking football which I have not witnessed since 1994. Finally watching this team brings absolute pleasure.

Anybody who does not wish for his contract to be renewed is treasonous to the nation.

The way the boys spray passes is a joy to watch. The off ball running has drastically improved. No longer are players static, they are running all over the pitch into space playing quick passing, dynamic play, then they will switch the play with a crossfield pass. It was a beauty to watch. Going by the Benin extended highlights I also noticed how we were creating so many chances.

So we have now drawn Brazil and Ukraine while playing beautiful football against Ukraine and now 2 very attacking displays against Benin and Lesotho.

I dont think people understand how hard todays game was on an artificial pitch, at altitude after traveling from Nigeria 8 hours or so..

This team can really do damage in 2022 and Rohr is actually building something great, while his haters plot his downfall. Thank goodness these enemies of progress did not get their way. NFF would be the most foolish organization in history if they do not renew Rohr's contract.

Player Ratings

Akpeyi [/b]- 6.5 - still the weakest link, wasn't tested much but was completely flat footed for Lesotho's first goal. Should have at least been on his toes ready to react. This guy is not it.

Aina - 8 - Did very well at LB, I have been calling for him to play here for a while since we have so many RB options and Collins is a liability. His joining the attack is a joy to behold. Adds that extra element to our attack, his combo play was very impressive, did OK defenseively as well.

Troost - 7 - Was at fault for first goal, and had one lapse of concentration late in the game, but otherwise solid

Ajayi - 7 - Solid but gave away a few uneccesary fouls. Lesotho troubled our backline a little more than I would wish

Awaziem - 7.5
- Solid game. His crossing ability is great. Unlucky own goal

Ndidi - 8 - Bossed the midfield and really joined in on the attack

Aribo - 7 - Decent showing but a little off the mark, tired out near the end

Iwobi - 8.5
- Very good attacking display. Was the maestro on the pitch, linked up well with team mates, ran into space all the time to recieve the ball and orchestrate attacks. We need more displays like this from Iwobi

Simon - 7
- Decent showing but needs to get a little more involved. Had some good attacking plays and defends well as always

Chukwueze -8
- Harassed the Lesotho defenders and linked up well with attack

Oshimehn - 9- All over the pitch worked hard, hold up play was on point, 2 goals and 2 assists. This guy is going to be special. His work ethic and die hard attitude is what we want to see

SUBS

Azeez - 6.5 - did OK but was lackadaisical as soon as he came on and lost the ball when he had an open man to simply pass to. Nice pass for Oshimens last goal

Musa - 5 Piss poor once he came on. Was losing the ball and missed a sitter. He looked out of form.

Kalu - NOt enough time to rate

you are high...drink milk
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)