This is the Best SE I have seen since 1994

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nzeogwu
Egg
Egg
Re: This is the Best SE I have seen since 1994

Post by nzeogwu »

Well, small poker or whatever Napoleonic complex you refer to yourself in the bedroom, it may be rubbish but it is factual rubbish. :)
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Well, small poker or whatever Napoleonic complex you refer to yourself in the bedroom, it may be rubbish but it is factual rubbish. :)
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

nzeogwu wrote:For all the Rohr haters, please remember some key facts. Westerhof was gored in 1989. He used 123 players between 1989 and the Nations Cip in Tunis. 1992, when we lost to Ghana in Senegal and ended up with a bronze we all called for his head. Then came along three magicians to join a hiding Daniel Amokachi. Amunike, Oliseh and Okocha. Sometimes, soup is just missing a few ingridients but it is still a good soup. Had Westerhof been fired, 1994 and 1996 never happens. If not for Abacha, Nigeria would have won the 1994, 96 and 98 Nations Cups.

Today, we witness the relegation of Balogun, Musa, Simon, Ezenwa, Etebo to the bench. We also witness the rebirth of Azeez much like Amokachi who had previously been discovered in 1990 but waited until he matured in 1993 to rejoin the team.

I venture to say that Osimhen will replace Yekini and that the three magicians of our time may actually become four. Kalu, Chukwueze, Aribo, Lookman and Ojo. Great teams have powerful and fluid midfields. I see Nigeria as no exception. I would not change the coach. He has adapted from a conservative Euro tactical style to allowing the boys to have fun. When all the pieces are in place, this may end up being the greatest and deepest team that we have produced. I say team and not individuals.
Like you said Amokachi was discovered 1990 playing for Ranchers Bees of Kaduna, however a sound baller was playing ahead of him, Samson Siasia who was benched by Westerhoff for his mistake against Cote D' Ivoire during 1993 World Cup qualifier match in Abidjan for not passing the ball to a free Yekini.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Tobi17 wrote:
ANC wrote:Whatever. The central defenders were awful. Would have chopped 20 goals today against Ghana, CIV etc.
Yeah ok Albert Einstein
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 'Einstein'
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

vancity eagle wrote:way. NFF would be the most foolish organization in history if they do not renew Rohr's contract.

Player Ratings

Troost - 7 - Was at fault for first goal, and had one lapse of concentration late in the game, but otherwise solid
How was Troost at fault for the first goal?

We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:way. NFF would be the most foolish organization in history if they do not renew Rohr's contract.

Player Ratings

Troost - 7 - Was at fault for first goal, and had one lapse of concentration late in the game, but otherwise solid

My bad that was AJayi. For some reason I thought it was Troost.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Player Ratings

My bad that was AJayi. For some reason I thought it was Troost.
Also when did Azeez lose any ball? Your definition of losing a ball must be different from the going understanding as the one play you might be referring to was when he was bumped, but he kept possession and shielding it for Troost to clear. Dunno how you call that losing the ball. Lets forget he had just come in the game and was trying to warm up to the tempo of it. After that play he had a nearly perfect game, accurate passes, bringing the ball out of the back and the assist for the 4th goal. Of course the downside to his game is he doesn't have the engine of an Etebo or Ndidi, but he is a player that tries to dictate the tempo of the game and keeps the ball moving accurately and safely (rarely losing the ball unnecessarily). Perfect midfielder to bring in when you are trying to calm things down and close out a game.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I’m personally a bit surprised at the rave reviews the team has received for this match. I can’t say I watched all 90 minutes, but I wasn’t very impressed.

I generally believe that there are many simple signs that tell if a team is ready for primetime. One of them is how they handle opposition that is far beneath them, and their professionalism in doing so.
On both fronts, I think Nigeria was average to poor. I know the common retorts about “no small team in Africa”, but I don’t buy it here. Nigeria to Lesotho is like England to Montenegro or Germany to Lithuania.

In my opinion, in a game like this, a team like Nigeria should score at least 3 unanswered goals at the minimum. Not being able to keep a clean sheet and scoring at least one questionable goal, to me, is an indication that this team is still on a journey to where they should be. We beat Lesotho because of the gulf in class, but as you face better teams, your professionalism will be key….because you’re not going to experience this much of a gulf in class.

We can get into player performance and tactics all you want, but I will stop at this level for now. It wasn’t a very coordinated/professional performance IMO. There were portions of that game that it seemed conceivable that Lesotho would come away with a draw...and that shouldn't be.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

deanotito wrote:I’m personally a bit surprised at the rave reviews the team has received for this match. I can’t say I watched all 90 minutes, but I wasn’t very impressed.

I generally believe that there are many simple signs that tell if a team is ready for primetime. One of them is how they handle opposition that is far beneath them, and their professionalism in doing so.
On both fronts, I think Nigeria was average to poor. I know the common retorts about “no small team in Africa”, but I don’t buy it here. Nigeria to Lesotho is like England to Montenegro or Germany to Lithuania.

In my opinion, in a game like this, a team like Nigeria should score at least 3 unanswered goals at the minimum. Not being able to keep a clean sheet and scoring at least one questionable goal, to me, is an indication that this team is still on a journey to where they should be. We beat Lesotho because of the gulf in class, but as you face better teams, your professionalism will be key….because you’re not going to experience this much of a gulf in class.

We can get into player performance and tactics all you want, but I will stop at this level for now. It wasn’t a very coordinated/professional performance IMO. There were portions of that game that it seemed conceivable that Lesotho would come away with a draw...and that shouldn't be.

But they have faced "better teams" very recently, and have more than held own. This is the first game that I can remember in a long while when it looked inevitable that we would come back and win even after going down. The team showed no panic at all and simply went back to their game plan, which i thought was a sign of their professionalism. We have struggled in the past against teams that we had "as much gulf in class" e.g. the likes of Madagascar at the nations cup.

The team is still work in progress, but I think they are making strides and showing the ability to come back even from early deficits, and break down teams that sit deep in an attempt to frustrate them.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

metalalloy wrote:
deanotito wrote:I’m personally a bit surprised at the rave reviews the team has received for this match. I can’t say I watched all 90 minutes, but I wasn’t very impressed.

But they have faced "better teams" very recently, and have more than held own. This is the first game that I can remember in a long while when it looked inevitable that we would come back and win even after going down. The team showed no panic at all and simply went back to their game plan, which i thought was a sign of their professionalism. We have struggled in the past against teams that we had "as much gulf in class" e.g. the likes of Madagascar at the nations cup.

The team is still work in progress, but I think they are making strides and showing the ability to come back even from early deficits, and break down teams that sit deep in an attempt to frustrate them.
I understand what you’re saying but I don’t consider friendlies the same way I consider competitive games. I want to see a professional performance. There is no explanation for Lesotho scoring 2 goals on us, own goal or not. It shows, to me, a lack of concentration and professionalism. Imagine Lesotho playing Germany. It’ll be 7-0 at the very least…and I’m more confident in the “0” than I am in the “7”. The best teams I know in any sport have a professionalism about them. If they need to close up shop, they do it with efficiency. For about 3/4s of that game, Lesotho had some real belief…and they can justifiably feel hard done by some of the refereeing decisions.

Don’t get me wrong. I am glad we got 3 points away from home, and I am a Rohr supporter…but in my experience, “best SE since 1994” is completely baseless. We still have a ways to go.

I've seen SE stuck at the same World Cup level for the last 25 years. I'm looking for signs that we can get beyond that....and I haven't seen them...yet
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

Well Said Deanotito : My same exact sentiments and line of thoughts.
We just dey make noise over Lesotho.
Make we defeat some top tier teams (1 - 10 ) in real competition and not friendly.
Rohr failed us woefully during the last World-Cup.
During a friendly we beat Argentina . Real game came during World Cup when it counts, they Beat us.

Meanwhile Nigerian coaches cannot qualify us for any international tournaments or we we cannot get to finals if we make it.
At this Point In Time, AT This Phase of our FOOTBALL, Rohr na the Best Thing.So we need to keep him.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

blueangel wrote:

Make we defeat some top tier teams (1 - 10 ) in real competition and not friendly.
During a friendly we beat Argentina . Real game came during World Cup when it counts, they Beat us.

Meanwhile Nigerian coaches cannot qualify us for any international tournaments or we we cannot get to finals if we make it.
At this Point In Time, AT This Phase of our FOOTBALL, Rohr na the Best Thing.So we need to keep him.
Yep. Recently, Lille got beat 4-1 in the champions league. Osimhen scored Lille's only goal, and in my own opinion, no striker on the opposition was as good as Osimhen. But that didn't stop Lille from getting beat 4-1. And it won't stop us from suffering if we don't improve.

I was reading Collin Udoh’s match report where he was talking about “sexy chemistry” and phrases like that, and I was scratching my head..against Lesotho?? If you can't pass between channels against Lesotho, where you go pass? Perhaps we’ve been starved for so long, and we’re leaping for anything that we can see. But work dey
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

deanotito wrote:
blueangel wrote:

Yep. Recently, Lille got beat 4-1 in the champions league. Osimhen scored Lille's only goal, and in my own opinion, no striker on the opposition was as good as Osimhen. But that didn't stop Lille from getting beat 4-1. And it won't stop us from suffering if we don't improve.

I was reading Collin Udoh’s match report where he was talking about “sexy chemistry” and phrases like that, and I was scratching my head..against Lesotho?? If you can't pass between channels against Lesotho, where you go pass? Perhaps we’ve been starved for so long, and we’re leaping for anything that we can see. But work dey
This is a very young team, relax and take a breather... CIV lost to Ethiopia today, Algeria the African Champs struggled to barely beat Botswana by a lone goal, Ghana struggled against Sao tome etc... players just want to avoid injuries and be in good shape for their clubs when playing on artificial fields and rough defenders .. Has that crossed your mind? there's more to life than getting your BP high over football.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

deanotito wrote:
blueangel wrote:

I have snoozed Colin Udoh for 30 days, he hasn't written anything tangible, Just like all the other media folks who are scared to ask **** real question about the SE.... the media has been compromised
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:
blueangel wrote:

Bros penetrative passing was made easy because they actually played an open game and tried to attack us at every chance so we were able to pass around easily when in possession. But when these smaller teams hunker down like Madagascar did and allow us to have possession while they retreat into a shell and hit us on the counter, we always have issues. Against Madagascar we had over 60+% of possession with very little penetration (1 tame shot on target).

https://www.espn.com/soccer/matchstats?gameId=539291

I do agree with you that this thread is reading way too much into this match against a poor team who actually tried to play against our much superior individual players.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Tobi17 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
blueangel wrote:

This is a very young team, relax and take a breather... CIV lost to Ethiopia today, Algeria the African Champs struggled to barely beat Botswana by a lone goal, Ghana struggled against Sao tome etc... players just want to avoid injuries and be in good shape for their clubs when playing on artificial fields and rough defenders/players from these small teams who more often than not just want to prove a point against the big teams, and go all out in the most physical context possible .. Has that crossed your mind? there's more to life than getting your BP high over football.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Many things

first off you admit that you didn't watch the full match. I did twice. Small team or not, Nigeria has not played as good as they did yesterday in any away competative game in over a DECADE. Yes they were that good.

And what I mean by good, is

creating scoring chances
controlling the match from start to finish
all the players attacked, ran into open space, it was not the usual static performance, slow build up with people walking around waiting for the ball.
the passing, crossfield, one touch, diagonal runs, was breathtaking. Again I have not seen this kind of swagger in Nigeria in a long time

and speaking of small teams

Ethiopia beat CIV on the road
Comoros and Kenya both tied Egypt
Mauritania tied Morocco
Ghana struggled to beat Sao Tome by 1-0
CIV struggled to beat Niger 1-0 at home

Even the current aFrican champs beat Botswana by a lone 1-0 away from home. So give credit where credit is due, because you are just making silly excuses for not acknowledging where this team is at the moment.

Keep in mind that we scored 4 goals and played beautiful football on an ARTIFICIAL PITCH, and at altitude.

Nigeria has never in her history done as well on the road in AFrica as we have done in the Rohr era. Its not even close. Perhaps 1994, but that is it.

To say Nigeria was average to poor in this match that you didn't even fully watch shows your complete utter bias and/or cluelessness.

These things happen in Europe as well, where they dont even have to worry about bad weather and poor pitches. France has had embarassing results before drawing Luxembourg at home and just this set of matches could only beat Moldova 2-1 at home. Look at all the top teams and they have far from convincing SCORELINES as well.

We were in control of this match from start to finish, there was never a period we did not control the match, and I would say had we played on a grass pitch, the scoreline would have been even more emphatic.

This is SE we are talking about. Before Rohr we would NEVER even dream about beating minnows on the road. Whether na Kenya, Lesotho, Namibia, Malawi or what have you.

now we are not only winning by multiple goals but playing better than we have been in any recent times, and here you are Bit%ing.

Get out of here. Agents of disorder. Agents of destruction.

Go carry your nonsense somewhere else.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

ANC wrote:Dude they played Lesotho

When we played Brazil, you said it was a friendly. Who would you like us to play? God's first 11?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

vancity eagle wrote:

Many things

first off you admit that you didn't watch the full match. I did twice. Small team or not, Nigeria has not played as good as they did yesterday in any away competative game in over a DECADE. Yes they were that good.

creating scoring chances
all the players attacked, ran into open space, it was not the usual static performance, slow build up with people walking around waiting for the ball.
the passing, crossfield, one touch, diagonal runs, was breathtaking. Again I have not seen this kind of swagger in Nigeria in a long time

Mauritania tied Morocco

Even the current aFrican champs beat Botswana by a lone 1-0 away from home. So give credit where credit is due, because you are just making silly excuses for not acknowledging where this team is at the moment.

Keep in mind that we scored 4 goals and played beautiful football on an ARTIFICIAL PITCH, and at altitude.

Nigeria has never in her history done as well on the road in AFrica as we have done in the Rohr era. Its not even close. Perhaps 1994, but that is it.

To say Nigeria was average to poor in this match that you didn't even fully watch shows your complete utter bias and/or cluelessness.

These things happen in Europe as well, where they dont even have to worry about bad weather and poor pitches. France has had embarassing results before drawing Luxembourg at home and just this set of matches could only beat Moldova 2-1 at home. Look at all the top teams and they have far from convincing SCORELINES as well.

We were in control of this match from start to finish, there was never a period we did not control the match, and I would say had we played on a grass pitch, the scoreline would have been even more emphatic.

This is SE we are talking about. Before Rohr we would NEVER even dream about beating minnows on the road. Whether na Kenya, Lesotho, Namibia, Malawi or what have you.

now we are not only winning by multiple goals but playing better than we have been in any recent times, and here you are Bit%ing.

I doubt he watched the game, person go just open brain dey type rubbish without even as much as doing a critical analysis by first WATCHING the game.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

metalalloy wrote:

KPOM.

abeg leave these agents of destruction alone. They will not be happy until Rohr is gone, and then a local coach will but SE decades back when the agency business is back up and running.

How any clown can watch that match and say it was poor, is beyond me.

Its one thing to criticize the tiny lapses in concentration, but other than that this game was virtually flawless.

They prayed for Brazil to humiliate us, they prayed for us to not have 100% in our AFCON opening matches. Had any of this happend the agents of destruction would have ammunition to not renegotiate. But now Rohr has shut them up and put the ball in their court.

Since our Bronze finish at AFCON we have drawn Ukraine and Brazil and won our first 2 AFCON matches. We are set and these fools want to destroy what is being built.

Shameless fools.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Also put into context the fact that we are now seeing a completely new core of players prosecuting the AFCON qualifiers, so of course the chemistry is still budding among the boys, for the past years we've been used to seeing the veterans like Ighalo, Musa, Mikel etc running the show... now we have younger players in Victor, Kalu, Chukwueze, Iwobi, Aribo etc now in charge... one would expect youthful exuberance or naivety will be the reason these guys will fail to step up to the new challenge...but they have more than held their own and have shown the resilient spirit in coming from behind to win key games (and I could care less if we are playing against a local government in Vietnam), you can only beat what is in front of you.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

FACT: SE has never been this good on the road or even in any AFrican qualifiers period since 1994.

and people are complaining. SMH it is obvious what is going on here and it is downright shameful.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

vancity eagle wrote:

Many things

creating scoring chances

Mauritania tied Morocco

Its hard to figure out where to start on this.

I watched about 60 minutes of the match. We did not control from start to finish - even the portion I watched. That’s just nonsense. In totality, we had the lion share of possession…but “from start to finish” implies you didn’t watch what you say you did…at least not with a clear head.

The passing and running into space was good at times…but I temper this with the quality of the opposition. If we cannot run into space against Lesotho, we should just close shop.

“Ethiopia beat CIV on the road
Mauritania tied Morocco
CIV struggled to beat Niger 1-0 at home”

Most of these examples you gave further underscore that your big/almost-big teams are not ready for prime time…and won’t make any impact on the World Stage..and guess what, they haven’t made any impact for decades. I am tired of 1st round strong showings and 2nd round exits. If we cannot show professionalism/concentration, we won't progress beyond that level.

On Rohr, I have said it too many times to remember that I like him and believe he has been successful….but his results are on par with many of the coaches that came before him. By his results, he is not better – by and large - than Amodu, Bonfrere, Keshi, Eguavoen etc. The ultimate proof of a coach’s worth is results…but there are signs along the way to show if a coach will ultimately get THE results.

On “average to poor”, I was referring to their professionalism and concentration in how they dispatched of this particular opponent. I said no such thing after the Benin game, even though we scored far less. I think Benin is a decent team. Lesotho is not. And for swathes of that game, Lesotho was given a chance to play (and play well).

Make no mistake, a defeat would have been disastrous. A draw would have been a bad result…but for Nigeria to get to the level we all want them to get, we’d have to be able to beat teams like Lesotho in a clean and competent manner…We didn’t do that....no matter what you think you saw.

I have seen enough ANC bronzes and too many close WC eliminations. Its time for the next level…and I haven’t seen signs of that yet.

Pre the days where CE started banning insults to peoples parents, I for say, na your ---- be agent of destruction.
Last edited by deanotito on Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.