Iwobi Is My Rightful Replacement Not Aribo - Mikel Claims

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

emjay
Egg
Egg
Iwobi Is My Rightful Replacement Not Aribo - Mikel Claims

Post by emjay »

Former captain of the Super Eagles of Nigeria John Obi Mikel has hailed the impact of Joe Aribo who inherited his number ten shirt in the senior national team of Nigeria following his retirement from international football.

Mikel quit the senior national team of Nigeria after the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after leading the team as captain to a third place finish at the tournament. They lost 1-2 in the semi-final to eventual winners Algeria.

Coach Gernot Rohr handed the number ten shirt won by Mikel who inherited it from Austin Okocha to Joe Aribo and the Rangers of Scotland midfielder has so far impressed with two goals to his name from four games for Nigeria.

Aribo according to Mikel only took his shirt number but his playmaker role in the team was inherited by Alex Iwobi right from the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

” Congratulations to the team they have done well in my absence although I have always insist that they can cope without me. I like the man who took my number Aribo but many people don’t understand that Alex Iwobi is the player in my role”, Mikel told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Iwobi started playing that role from the 2019 AFCON and I have been impressed with how he has settled in properly. We all know he is a good player so it’s no surprise that he has done well so far”.https://www.footynaija.com.ng/2019/11/i ... nt-not.htm
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Iwobi Is My Rightful Replacement Not Aribo - Mikel Claim

Post by waka-man »

Such a poorly written headline.
Mikel (if it was indeed him) is saying that Iwobi is playing his role in the team, the role of 10, although Aribo wears the shirt. Aribo is playing as an 8.
The word "rightful" in headline makes it sound as if he's questioning Aribo's place in the team.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I'm not convinced that Iwobi can fill Mikel's shoes. No player in the team can at the moment.

So there is currently no "rightful replacement". It all depends on form. Whoever is more effective in that role for the team plays the role.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Aribo is playing the Mikel role, while Iwobi is playing the Okocha role. Neither of them are fully there yet though.

Aribo still has a lot of improving to do, while over the long term, I think Ebere will be our ideal playmaker. In our midfield, only Ndidi really is ready for the big time.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Mikel is not a proper number 10. In 89 games he scored just 6 goals for the SE. Contrast with a real number 10 like JJ Okocha who scored 14 goals in 73 matches. Alex Iwobi has already scored 7 goals in 40 matches for Nigeria.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kali wrote:Mikel is not a proper number 10. In 89 games he scored just 6 goals for the SE. Contrast with a real number 10 like JJ Okocha who scored 14 goals in 73 matches. Alex Iwobi has already scored 7 goals in 40 matches for Nigeria.
Is it only measured by goals? How about assists? In my opinion, Mikel had an awesome career for Nigeria whether he was played as a DM or in the No. 10. Even JJ could not help Nigeria keep possession or control the midfield as much as Mikel did. While I think JJ may have been the best for Nigeria in the No. 10 position, Mikel's play should never be under rated.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Mikel didn’t create many chances for Nigeria. HIs replacement is actually Ndidi.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote:Mikel didn’t create many chances for Nigeria. HIs replacement is actually Ndidi.

The underlined is wrong if you are comparing him to others who have played for Nigeria, bros. I believe only Kanu assisted in more games than Mikel. Mikel created almost an assist for each game played just between 2011 and 2013, Iwobi for in stance has just 4 assists in all his appearances so far. Both create chances of course and both probably would have more assists if they were consistently featured as advanced midfielders in the middle of the field. As for Ndidi, he is always deep-lying in the midfield and cannot be compared to those two even though Mikel was deep-lying as well in some games for SE.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Enugu II wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Mikel didn’t create many chances for Nigeria. HIs replacement is actually Ndidi.

The underlined is wrong if you are comparing him to others who have played for Nigeria, bros. I believe only Kanu assisted in more games than Mikel. Mikel created almost an assist for each game played just between 2011 and 2013, Iwobi for in stance has just 4 assists in all his appearances so far. Both create chances of course and both probably would have more assists if they were consistently featured as advanced midfielders in the middle of the field. As for Ndidi, he is always deep-lying in the midfield and cannot be compared to those two even though Mikel was deep-lying as well in some games for SE.
Mikel is not a number 10. Mikel is more similar to Ndidi than he is to Iwobi.
Aribo is a box to box midfielder. Mikel used to be a box to box midfielder when he was younger.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Did this interview even take place?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Mikel is not a number 10. Mikel is more similar to Ndidi than he is to Iwobi.
Aribo is a box to box midfielder. Mikel used to be a box to box midfielder when he was younger.
Ohenhen1,

Mikel played as a No. 10 several times for Nigeria. I am not sure what you mean when you say a player is not this or that. A player is asked to play a certain position and over a career may play multiple positions. All three of the players that you mentioned -- Iwobi, Mikel, & Ndidi -- are different but in terms of playing No. 10, only Iwobi and Mikel have done so. That is not arguable, my brother. It is simply a FACT.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Not sure why people are still talking about side-way-passes.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Is Rohr also replacing keshi's role
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

kalani JR wrote:Did this interview even take place?
Good question, the link doesn't work. Probably fake news. Where's the rest of the interview and the leading questions Mikel responded to? Add the disconnect between title and content and it's all rubbish.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS