Oga vs Germany (April 1998)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Oga vs Germany (April 1998)

Post by maceo4 »

eyan wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
kolinzo wrote:When you rate Kanu above Okocha, it tells me how much you know about the game. A guy who never scored a single ANC goal after being to like 5 of them; same guy never scored a WC goal; the same guy was a striker for that matter! Puhlease! Okocha yesterday, Okocha today, Okocha forever. The greatest Naija player of all time.

How many goals did Okocha score at the World Cup?? How many assists?? Pls stick to being a Trump supporter. :dream:
I remember Okocha setting up Kanu 1-1 with the Keeper, but Kanu Cldnt even put the golden chance away. When it comes to SE, Kanu is one of the overrated players while Jayjay was one of the best.
Kanu that they had to beg to take PK when all the small boys like Mikel and Martins at that time weren't afraid to step up. That Kanu was seriously overrated for SE, he was great at Arseanal but just ok for SE.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Nigeria vs Cameroon
Afcon Q-final

Nigeria wins 2-1 to secure a long-awaited revenge against Cameroon

Okocha cancels out Etos goal with an audacious free kick

Kanu destroys the Cameroon defense with one pass to setup Utaka for the game-winning goal

To me this match exemplifies the best of both players
Both brilliant
Both unique
Both one of a kind the world may never see again

We were blessed to have them both in the same generation.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

zee wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:[/video]

I was there LIVE and DIRECT in Köln(Cologne) :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
The Germans were f--king scared of Oga & King Kanu.
Ike and Shakpoke(sp) were massive on that day too, sadly for Nigeria both missed the WC because of injury.
Shakpoke didn't play in that match, Pascal and Ajide were the full-back.
Shakpoke played against Holland in Amsterdam Arena, and I was there live to watch the match where we lost 5-1.
I am happy
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Dammy wrote:
zee wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:[/video]

I was there LIVE and DIRECT in Köln(Cologne) :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
The Germans were f--king scared of Oga & King Kanu.
Ike and Shakpoke(sp) were massive on that day too, sadly for Nigeria both missed the WC because of injury.
Shakpoke didn't play in that match, Pascal and Ajide were the full-back.
Shakpoke played against Holland in Amsterdam Arena, and I was there live to watch the match where we lost 5-1.
:thumb: you are right, but ol' boy your memory na fire.
After 21 years :scared: :D
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Okocha cultists are so predictable. So its Kanu that is overrated abi???. Stats don't like. Kanu won the APOY 2x. JJ OTOH lost the 98 APOY to a goat header from Morocco. Kanu at some point was voted 6th best player in the world. Where was JJ?? If Kanu had not had his heart defect, we would have been talking about how he is the greatest player to ever come out of Africa not those two brick layers Drogba and ETo. Kanu pre heart diagnoses makes those 2 look like rubbish players. His silky skills, deceptive speed, ability to create and score goals. No African player past or present comes close.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

bret- hart wrote:Okocha cultists are so predictable. So its Kanu that is overrated abi???. Stats don't like. Kanu won the APOY 2x. JJ OTOH lost the 98 APOY to a goat header from Morocco. Kanu at some point was voted 6th best player in the world. Where was JJ?? If Kanu had not had his heart defect, we would have been talking about how he is the greatest player to ever come out of Africa not those two brick layers Drogba and ETo. Kanu pre heart diagnoses makes those 2 look like rubbish players. His silky skills, deceptive speed, ability to create and score goals. No African player past or present comes close.
If Okocha was not a victim to racist assumptions about the ability of African playmakers, he would have played with some of the biggest clubs in Europe rather than toiling some of the best years of his career working for Big Sam in Northern England.

Look Kanu did some cool things for our youth teams but when it came to the Super Eagles, you could count on Oga to do what needed to be done, Kanu on the other hand...

When I reminisce as I often do, I remember Okocha shining at International tournaments, making Danish oyinbos drink garri and end a game unsure if they actually thanks to the display of the true maestro, when in reality they scored 4 to our 1. I remember his 2000 Nations Cup performance where he bamboozled Tunisia and scored a key goal in the final as well as the opening penalty in the shootout where a certain unnamed cloud botherer missed. I also remember his MVP performance four years later in the same tournament where he dragged a CCCCCCCCC coached team to the semi finals, in international football greatest tour de force since Maradona in 1986. The game against Cameroon brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it. Then I rack the depths of my brain to pick out even slightly notable moments of Kanu with the Super Eagles and the only contribution I can think of is Christopher Kanu...
dhoney
Egg
Egg

Post by dhoney »

kolinzo wrote:When you rate Kanu above Okocha, it tells me how much you know about the game. A guy who never scored a single ANC goal after being to like 5 of them; same guy never scored a WC goal; the same guy was a striker for that matter! Puhlease! Okocha yesterday, Okocha today, Okocha forever. The greatest Naija player of all time.
Don`t mind these "junkers". He was not good enough but he scored way more than Kanu who actually was playing as a striker/support striker. Some folks here should stick to volleyballs, handball or hockey..Disgrcaeful..!
And Jesus said to the only leper that came back to thank Him after He healed ten.... "Chai....na only you waka come?".
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I always remember that after this game the German manager (one Berti Vogts - remember him?!...) commented to the media that Nigeria was the only team in the world that had better players than Brazil in some positions.

In today's game, that two footed studs up tackle by Stefan Reuter on JJ in the 63rd minute would be a straight red card and probably a 3 game ban. Watching 1990s football, it is shocking to see how brutal the tackling was and how defenders could fly in with knee breaker challenges and still stay on the pitch. If JJ could do all that amazing artistry back then, imagine what he could have become in the modern game with stricter refereeing, better pitches, and VAR.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

JayJay has been wasting everybody's time for a long time. I just spent almost 1 hour on youtube watching the nonsense time waster
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

nanijoe wrote:JayJay has been wasting everybody's time for a long time. I just spent almost 1 hour on youtube watching the nonsense time waster
Nonsense, is right. Incomplete passes all day long.
Always close, but no cigars.
You are Your Own Dog
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

wiseone wrote:I always remember that after this game the German manager (one Berti Vogts - remember him?!...) commented to the media that Nigeria was the only team in the world that had better players than Brazil in some positions.

In today's game, that two footed studs up tackle by Stefan Reuter on JJ in the 63rd minute would be a straight red card and probably a 3 game ban. Watching 1990s football, it is shocking to see how brutal the tackling was and how defenders could fly in with knee breaker challenges and still stay on the pitch. If JJ could do all that amazing artistry back then, imagine what he could have become in the modern game with stricter refereeing, better pitches, and VAR.
I guess we will never know.
Let’s go with what we already know. JayBee, will always be JayBee
You are Your Own Dog
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

bret- hart wrote:

How many goals did Okocha score at the World Cup?? How many assists?? Pls stick to being a Trump supporter. :dream:
Bretina, I just dey read ya opaks after many weeks (well, that's because Eagles nest has been boring for years now) :lol: . Anyways, King Kanu was a king of opaks football.

Like Maceo said, King Kanu had his thumb in his mouth and asked mama to come take him home when he was asked to take a penalty where small pikins like Mikel and Taiye Taiwo took theirs with confidence. You wella so? :woot:
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

bret- hart wrote:Okocha cultists are so predictable. So its Kanu that is overrated abi???. Stats don't like. Kanu won the APOY 2x. JJ OTOH lost the 98 APOY to a goat header from Morocco. Kanu at some point was voted 6th best player in the world. Where was JJ?? If Kanu had not had his heart defect, we would have been talking about how he is the greatest player to ever come out of Africa not those two brick layers Drogba and ETo. Kanu pre heart diagnoses makes those 2 look like rubbish players. His silky skills, deceptive speed, ability to create and score goals. No African player past or present comes close.
Of course, no African player past or present comes close to opaks football. King Kanu wey no get heart to take penalty? (okay that didn't come out right but...well...ma bad...no pun intended).
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

kolinzo wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Okocha cultists are so predictable. So its Kanu that is overrated abi???. Stats don't like. Kanu won the APOY 2x. JJ OTOH lost the 98 APOY to a goat hearder from Morocco. Kanu at some point was voted 6th best player in the world. Where was JJ?? If Kanu had not had his heart defect, we would have been talking about how he is the greatest player to ever come out of Africa not those two brick layers Drogba and ETo. Kanu pre heart diagnoses makes those 2 look like rubbish players. His silky skills, deceptive speed, ability to create and score goals. No African player past or present comes close.
Of course, no African player past or present comes close to opaks football. King Kanu wey no get heart to take penalty? (okay that didn't come out right but...well...ma bad...no pun intended).

Yea because players cant miss PKs now and then. :dream: Please go and watch CNN. Your oga is about to be impeached.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

felarey wrote:There's a reason why when the legends of the game break bread, only OGA is present. I'm talking legends like Pele, Zizou, Ronaldinho etc. They have a party and only OGA gets the invite. For those saying he was overrated and his fans dont know football. I guess you know football better than Sir Alex Ferguson, Mario Zagallo, Peleand George Best etc. That have all stamped his game with eulogies. George Best actually gave him his name and said he was THE BEST.
Nuff said. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Abeg, no bring that one.
Kanu's heart condition had no negative impact on his game after his very successful surgery.
Professional athletes do not get to sign contracts with defective hearts.
It's not worth the risk.
It was a miracle at the time but post-surgery his heart obviously passed all the rigorous tests it was put thru for a high performance athlete.
And then Wenger saw him.
The rest is history.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "