Leon Balogun :(

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Paveman
Egg
Egg
Leon Balogun :(

Post by Paveman »

The boy really needs to move this January. He finally got a game after months out for tactical reasons. He was replaced at half time. Anyone seen the game?
Paveman
Egg
Egg
Re: Leon Balogun :(

Post by Paveman »

Interestingly, in the same game, Sheffield Wednesday gave a debut to 18 year old Osaze Urhoghide who I imagine is of Nigerian origin. Not to mention Dominic Iorfa, who also played..
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Naija's BEST!
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Paveman wrote:The boy really needs to move this January. He finally got a game after months out for tactical reasons. He was replaced at half time. Anyone seen the game?
Apparently, he got injured.
I am happy
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Paveman wrote:The boy really needs to move this January. He finally got a game after months out for tactical reasons. He was replaced at half time. Anyone seen the game?
If he doesn’t play much then how will any club even think of him?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
If he doesn’t play much then how will any club even think of him?
This happens all the time in modern football. Perhaps he might have to restart from the Championship though.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

why did he move to the EPl at the age of 30?This is one of the fastest leagues in the world! Even in his prime Balogun was not known as a quick defender. That should explain his struggles.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

gochino wrote:why did he move to the EPl at the age of 30?This is one of the fastest leagues in the world! Even in his prime Balogun was not known as a quick defender. That should explain his struggles.
:rotf: :rotf: lmao. Last retirement pay!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

gochino wrote:why did he move to the EPl at the age of 30?This is one of the fastest leagues in the world! Even in his prime Balogun was not known as a quick defender. That should explain his struggles.
Brighton did not sign Balogin to come and take over from the established partnership they had in Dunk and Duffy at the time he was signed. No one signs a 29 going 30 defender to come and take over from established players who still at their prime. He was signed to come and warm the bench, to provide cover, let me phrase it well, he was signed to come and be a sub.

Leon coming to the EPL was purely monetary, like someone said for a last pay, you cannot fault him for that either, he has paid his dues to the game and deserves that final pay whichever way it comes.

Sadly for him, I think Brighton got another center half who has managed to even bench Duffy, it means only one thing for Leon, he is on the count down to the end of his contract.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

He should just go back to Germany or the Seria A where the slower pace of the league might suit him more.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

oloye wrote:
Brighton did not sign Balogin to come and take over from the established partnership they had in Dunk and Duffy at the time he was signed. No one signs a 29 going 30 defender to come and take over from established players who still at their prime. He was signed to come and warm the bench, to provide cover, let me phrase it well, he was signed to come and be a sub.

Leon coming to the EPL was purely monetary, like someone said for a last pay, you cannot fault him for that either, he has paid his dues to the game and deserves that final pay whichever way it comes.

Sadly for him, I think Brighton got another center half who has managed to even bench Duffy, it means only one thing for Leon, he is on the count down to the end of his contract.

Oloye you are right. He was meant to bethefirst reserve, but now he is fifth choice...
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

He actually played well in this game and I think he got a knock that’s why he didn’t come back for the 2nd half.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote:He should just go back to Germany or the Seria A where the slower pace of the league might suit him more.
To do what? WHy dont you go back to Umunede? :roll:

At 31 or 32, you think Leon should still be interested in playing football "that suits him," rather than pilling up his retirement account?

After he has collected his egunje from Brighton, He needs to head to China or Saudi Arabia to continue to stock his bank account. Do that for 4 years or whatever, and then he can retire in peace and happiness.
Last edited by danfo driver on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

He signed a 2 year contract.
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

danfo driver wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:He should just go back to Germany or the Seria A where the slower pace of the league might suit him more.

At 31 or 32, you think Leon should still be interested in playing football "that suits him," rather than pilling up his retirement account?

After he has collected his egunje from Brighton, He needs to head to China or Saudi Arabia to continue to stock his bank account. Do that for 4 years or whatever, and then he can retire in peace and happiness.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Why Umunede? He should be heading to Mbiri or Aganigbode! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Igugu wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Why Umunede? He should be heading to Mbiri or Aganigbode! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Na Umunede first come my mind when I read the silly boy post.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

oloye wrote:

Chief Oloye, this your speculation get as e be ooo... Seriously, if you are running a business, would you pay someone lots of money just to sit on the sidelines? There are so many promising young defenders who would kill to sit on the bench of a PL team for a lot less money than Balogun is making. Somebody at Brighton believed Balogun had something to contribute. That’s the only reason why a professional football team would go out and spend a lot of money on a 30-year old. Believe that❗️

Cheers.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
oloye wrote:

Chief Oloye, this your speculation get as e be ooo... Seriously, if you are running a business, would you pay someone lots of money just to sit on the sidelines? There are so many promising young defenders who would kill to sit on the bench of a PL team for a lot less money than Balogun is making. Somebody at Brighton believed Balogun had something to contribute. That’s the only reason why a professional football team would go out and spend a lot of money on a 30-year old. Believe that❗️

Cheers.
There is no difference in what you and Oloye are both saying. With the new bumper TV deal, every EPL team now has money. The days of signing low level players are long gone. The need for a strong bench is very important, and it not uncommon to see established international players as "back ups" and that is what Balogun is. Even Joel Matip is sometines forced to play second fiddle to Joe Gonez. When was the last time you saw Eric Bially? This is life in the EPL bro. High payed bench warmers are the norm.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

oloye wrote:

Cheers.
And you took sitting on the bench literarilly even when the scenario I mentioned played out and is still playing out in your presence. So remind me again my dear bros, the matches Balogun played, was either of those two dropped for him or he played when one of them was down or out?

A reserve player might not look much to you, but the last time I checked a reserve player is also very very important to any team. There is a reason people talk of teams having a good bench, a good team is one that has a bench to call upon when there is crisis, so having an experienced head on the bench is nothing out of place.

Yes there are promising young players who could kill, but the coach or club is faced with a couple of problems, these players might be too expensive or they might become restless and create problem in the dressing room. They got Balogun on the free, correct me if I am wrong. An experienced defender with Bindersliga experience, that is is a kill as far as the transfer markets.

It is a good business and there is nothing new here, clubs with limited funds have been doing this since thy Kingdom come.

And by the way buying a player as a back up does not mean you are buying a player with nothing to contribute, geez my good friend where did you get that idea that just because they buy a player as a backup it means they don't have anything to give? Surely you did not get that from post :woot:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

bushboy wrote:
oloye wrote:

Cheers.
There is no difference in what you and Oloye are both saying. With the new bumper TV deal, every EPL team now has money. The days of signing low level players are long gone. The need for a strong bench is very important, and it not uncommon to see established international players as "back ups" and that is what Balogun is. Even Joel Matip is sometines forced to play second fiddle to Joe Gonez. When was the last time you saw Eric Bially? This is life in the EPL bro. High payed bench warmers are the norm.
Thank you ojare bros, na the heavy okporoko wey my padi man TTTK chop over Xmas nor allow see my point clearly.

olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

Balogun has always been an average player that has shuffled between the bench and first and also the top division and second division for his entire career. He became a leader for Nigeria and provided stability, but let's not fool ourselves as to who he is as a player. Balogun is a journeyman, who made a move to a different league and fell out of favour. It happens all the time. He'll make another move either in January or the summer and keep feeding his family with his craft.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

bushboy wrote:
oloye wrote:

Cheers.
Thank you HMV (his master’s voice) for that not so insightful dissertation. That EPL teams have money doesn’t mean they’re going to spend it on a player they don’t think will make an immediate impact. Situations can change in a short period of time; like a player losing form in the blink of an eye or a player falling out of favor, perhaps due to a coaching change such as is the case with a certain Henry Onyekuru but teams don’t go after players they think would be perennial bench warmers, ever. I don’t know what you mean by low level players. Even in division two, there are so many awfully talented young players who might be more attractive to management than older, already well established players, especially if they come with a cheaper price tag. Only a few short seasons ago, James Madison who I’m sure you’ve heard of, was plying his trade in division two. Did you consider him a low level player then? Well, surpriiise❗️

Cheers.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

oloye wrote:

Cheers.
They didn't sign him just to warm the bench. They needed insurance to provide cover and ensure that they remained in the EPL which at the end of the season is worth well over 100 million pounds. Conversely, Balogun needed to cash in on his last big pay day knowing that the window of financial opportunity was rapidly closing. It was a win, win deal for club and player. He is on the wrong side of 30 therefore cash maximization has to be his #1 priority right now. Of course it will be lovely to get the cash and also play regularly but for now 1 out of 2 will do nicely for him.