Victor Moses Named in Nigeria's All-Time XI

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Victor Moses Named in Nigeria's All-Time XI

Post by Enugu II »

oscar52 wrote:I will base this on players I saw play and sorry Keshi does not make the list for me, granted I saw him in the twilight of his career but I though he was clumsy on the ball:

-------------Enyeama---------------------------

Babayaro…….Taribo…...Okechukwu…….Iroha

Adepoju -------Okocha------------Oliseh

Finidi ------Yekini------------Odegbami
So how come you saw Odegbami when it was only Keshi's twilight that you saw? That is strange given that Segun retired the same year that Keshi debuted.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

That is a really weird formation and selection. Keshi in midfield. No Taribo West (who playd for AC Milan and Inter Milan) while Uche was playing in Turkey...
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Enugu II wrote:
oscar52 wrote:I will base this on players I saw play and sorry Keshi does not make the list for me, granted I saw him in the twilight of his career but I though he was clumsy on the ball:

-------------Enyeama---------------------------

Babayaro…….Taribo…...Okechukwu…….Iroha

Adepoju -------Okocha------------Oliseh

Finidi ------Yekini------------Odegbami
So how come you saw Odegbami when it was only Keshi's twilight that you saw? That is strange given that Segun retired the same year that Keshi debuted.
Videos clips on youtube. I added Odegbami last, I originally debated Kanu or Amokachi there. But if Keshi was that good, which I am guessing he was because he was the most popular Naija soccer player btw 1985-87 based on Lagos chatter at the time then I will give him Uche's spot. I just was just not a fan when I saw him play in 1993/94.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:Enyeama over Okalla?

too many weed smokers here....I warned about legalizing pot...

Txj,

Bia, are you stating you will take Okala over Enyeama? On this, I am with Cellular. Enyeama over Okala for me.

Sorry, Enyeama cannot clean Okalla's boots. What is with this revisionist history? I wouldn't even take him over Rufai!

You do remember that he won the African footballer of the year award, then conferred by ASJU in 1977

Well, what do you expect from a Vasco supporter :blush: :blush:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:I stopped reading at Enyeama……

I still remember the vampire days if he doesn't.
I used to be a big Okala fan. But Enyeama kept on improving... and arguably had one of the best performances a goalie has had against Messi's Argentina.

He was consistent over a long period of time.

Dont' forget he did it in the era of improved equipment by the shooters. Both boot and ball were on a different level... you can hit the ball and it comes at you with speeds not yet measured before that period plus the swerve.
You cannot be serious!!!

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Victor Moses in Super Eagles All Time XI
https://www.aclsports.com/victor-moses- ... l-time-xi/
Calvin Emeka Onwuka January 12, 2020Blogs, Football,

Former Chelsea player Victor Moses makes my first eleven in my All-Time Green/Super Eagles team I was asked to select by Temisan Okomi on twitter. A team that seems to have stirred controversy with followers on the Social Media app.

I decided to have a go and here is my team:

Enyeama; Okechukwu, Chukwu, Odiye; Moses, Keshi, Oliseh, Owolabi; Odegbami, Yekini, Okocha.
Subs: Okala; H Nwosu, Yobo, Kanu, Ekeji.
Coach: Westerhof
Formation: 3-4-3

As I started to think about the players who have won the Green-White-Green of Nigeria from when I can remember – which will be from 1977 to date, it had me stumped first.

Anytime I get asked this question I always try to think as a coach and a formation that can be used in a real match situation. I decided to go for a 3-4-3 formation.

Vincent Enyeama: I saw Emma Okala, Best Ogedegbe, Peter Rufai and a few others keep goal for Nigeria but there was none as consistent as Vinny. In the years I watched him closely, I can’t remember any goal the Super Eagles conceded in which I thought “Vinny could and should have done better there”. That is a special quality.

I chose three centre-backs:

Uche Okechukwu: Between 1989 and 1998 “Big Igbo” (as Westerhof used to call him) was the best Nigerian defender of that generation of Nigerian players. He was unbeatable in the air, tackled fiercely and led his men. He was also a very reader of the game which meant he rarely ever had to go on the floor to win balls.

Christian Chukwu: The first SI Unit of measuring defenders for the Nigeria national team. Took over from Godwin Achebe as the Green Eagles captain in 1975 holding the band till after captaining Nigeria to our first AFCON win in 1980. He was a leader, scoring goals for club and country.

Godwin Odiye: Famous for that own goal in November 1977 as the Green Eagles failed in the campaign to qualify for the 1978 Argentina based FIFA World Cup. Alongside Chukwu, Odiye was incredibly quick, tackled and headed anything that moved. Played for Nigeria at three AFCONs between 1976 and 1980. He speaks candidly here:

I chose four players ahead of the CBs two of who will be wing backs.

Victor Moses: His inclusion is what has caused consternation and has probably led to this blog. In the wing back role that I have chosen for this team to play, I can only give it to Moses. In South Africa when the Super Eagles won the AFCON in 2013 he was vital in the win as a free forward across the front line. In Brazil he contributed his bit with the team that eventually fell to France in the second round. Four years later, Moses was influential as the Super Eagles qualified from a tough qualifying group to make Russia. Played in the wing back role in Russia.

Felix Owolabi: AFCON ’80 winner, Owo Blow played in every role down that left hand side for the Green Eagles. He would be at home as Left back, Inside left or as left winger. He has the energy to play as a wing back and the defensive nous to cover for who will be the nominal left sided player.

Stephen Keshi. Another leader. The Big Boss was at home in central midfield as he would be as centre-back. He and Chukwu would not have been an ideal partnership at CB hence my moving him into midfield where he will form a double pivot with

Sunday Oliseh: Oliseh made his debut in 1993 and held his role till the end of AFCON 2002. He was the one who redefined the role for the Super Eagles after Westerhof had tried Austin Eguavoen and Emeka Ezeugo without much success in the role. Oliseh had it all in that role.

Austin Okocha takes the nominal role of being in the hole behind the two strikers. It was straight battle between Okocha and Henry Nwosu, in the end I plumped for JJ because he was pure magic and in tight situations he could be counted upon to produce a rabbit out of a hat.

Segun Odegbami: Nigeria’s first football superstar and the best player as Nigeria won the AFCON on home soil in 1980 would make any team of all time for anyone who saw him play. I had written about Odegbami in this article

Rashidi Yekini: Nigeria’s all-time leading goalscorer. Goalsfather needs little introduction as without him it would have been extremely difficult to qualify for our first world cup in 1994. He was the top scorer as we won the AFCON in Tunisia in 1994 and was Nigeria’s first African Footballer of the year in 1993.

The team will be coached by Clemens Westerhof. Here is an extensive interview with the former Super Eagles manager

With the team and formation I decided to go with, I have had to leave out Finidi George, Humphrey Edobor, Adokiye Amiesimaka, Emma Amuneke, Ben Iroha, Austin Eguavoen, Henry Nwosu, Patrick Ekeji and many many more. I have chosen a team to play.

Haruna Ilerika – he spoke to us here too , Thompson Usiyan I was too young to have watched them. Usiyan interview

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts.
No Finidi or Mikel? Nonsense. :boo:

As what? Recipient of a Gucci award? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:Enyeama over Okalla?

too many weed smokers here....I warned about legalizing pot...
Txj, what's your own line up?
In a 4-3-3 formation:

1. Emma Okalla
2. Okpalla
3. Yisa Sofoluwe
5. Christian Chukwu
6. Stephen Keshi
4. Mudashiru Lawal
8. JJ Okocha
10. Henry Nwosu
7. Segun Odegbami
11. Adokiye Amiesimaka
9. Rashidi Yekini

azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

I'm going to give two line-ups based on those i saw play.

A: 4-4-2

1. Okala

2. Okpala
3. Yisa
4. Keshi
5. Okechukwu

6. Oliseh
7. Christian Madu
8. Finidi
9. Amunike

10. Amokachi
11. Rashidi

4-3-3

1. Okala

2. Yisa
3. Isima
4. Chukwu
5. Ojebode

6. Okpala
7. Muda
8. Nwosu

9. Finidi
10. Usiyen
11. Amaesiamaka
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Mennn the disrespect for Finidi is too much. Who says dude couldn’t play the RWB role? This is a guy that could play anywhere on that field he was just a baller. He played RW, LW, CM, AM in his career.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

4 pages and no mention of Peter Rufai! He's going to the 1998 WC seems to have ruined his legacy.
I am happy
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Dammy wrote:4 pages and no mention of Peter Rufai! He's going to the 1998 WC seems to have ruined his legacy.
True. Rufai, Keshi, and Yekini were the three names I head the most in the mid 80s. I still remember his magnet mid air catch at Maroc 88 against I believe CIV in the semis penalty shootout. The first ANC I could remember.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
ANC wrote:I was not at the game, but it was reported in the media that the coach asked both players to switch roles.
That was not what was reported by the media to the best of my knowledge. I saw no single media report saying Mikel was switched to DM. What was said was that Mikel was not a number 10 and Rohr eventully consented to not playing him in that role.

But forget the media. Even if you weren’t at the stadium. You watched it on TV. Did it appear to you that Mikel played DM???
deanotito,

Here are two tactical analyses that stress the position played by Mikel:

https://footballbh.net/2018/06/25/nigeria-2-0-iceland/
https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match ... vs-iceland

Enjoy.

Further, here is what was reported by the media before the game.
Mikel: I’ll Sacrifice, Play Defensive Midfield For Super Eagles Success
https://www.completesports.com/mikel-il ... s-success/
25 June 20, 2018 5:44 pm

Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi has promised to do whatever it takes to ensure the team advance into the latter stages of the Russia 2018 World Cup, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Eagles are currently bottom of their group and must beat Iceland on Friday to keep hopes alive.

The Nigerian side lost their opening match 2-0 to Croatia while debutants Iceland held group favourites Argentina to a 1-1 draw.

Mikel, playing in an advanced midfield role, was one of the Super Eagles’ worst performers on Saturday, with many fans calling for him to be subsequently dropped or given a withdrawn role.

Even former Nigeria captain Austin Jay Jay Okocha advised coach Gernot Rohr to either drop Mikel or make him play deeper.

When asked about playing in defensive midfield on Wednesday, Mikel said: “If I have to sacrifice for this team to progress, I will.

“If I have to sacrifice a position, go play wherever, I will do that for this team to win games.”

Mikel played as a defensive midfielder for most of his successful 11-year stay at Chelsea but has often been deployed further upfield for the national team.

Mikel’s former coach at Chelsea Jose Mourinho has also advised that the Nigeria captain should be a ‘number 6’, a defensive midfielder.

Below, is how I saw that game (v Iceland) on television in terms of how Mikel played (Read the rating section)

https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/06/ ... -hope.html
Bro, got to see your links, and thanks for them. I cannot dispute them, but I can say from what I saw in the stadium, I did not see Mikel as DM at all...and honestly beginning to second guess Rohr's competence fielding a midfield of Ndidi, Etebo and Mikel with Mikel as DM - 2 games in a row. What on earth kind of offensive production is that midfield supposed to have?

However, as we have alluded to before, if the point is that Mikel played DM for Nigeria, we can all agree that over a 10+ year career, this was an exceptionally rare occurrence....and likely only happened in 2 games in 2018.

If that is true, then how can we set up a Nigeria XI midfield with JJ as 10, Mikel as DM, and 2 wingers? On what basis can we form a team like that?

When it comes to the position that Mikel mostly played for Nigeria, i.e. #10, I'm not even sure Mikel is in our top 3 choices...and is also pretty arguable for top 5.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Sunday Eboigbe nko?
I am happy
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

List is a joke without Finidi
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Well, Victor Moses was the best Naija player all through his Eagles career. Dude wheeled Naija to ANC trophy. He was really good.

However, on an all time list, Kanu should not be in the best 16. I'll replace Kanu with Victor Moses, and replace Victor Moses with Finidi.

Reason?

Well, I don't think Moses would have gelled with Rashidi Yekini if they played in the same era. Moses game was just different. And of course we have seen Finidi/Rasidi combo.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Amokachi nko? Oh...what a player he was!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****