Iwobi's position under threat

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Iwobi's position under threat

Post by chief nfachairman »

Aribo is now playing the number 10 role in Rangers with the mandate to hurt the enemy. He's played this role extremely well soi far. A world class talent in his time (Gerard) always says Aribo is a top and special talent.

I would rather have Aribo playing our number 10 since Iwobi hasn't really lived up to it. Anyway, we need competition in that role.

******SImon Moses*****Osimhen*****CHukwueze

*********************Aribo******************

************Etebo***********Ndidi************

Collins********Ekong******Omeruo*********AIna

*****************Uzoho/Akpeyi****************

@John12, you can see no player on this list is playing in any backwater league.

Aribo Is Not A Winger – Liverpool Legend Gerrard Explains Super Eagles Star’s New Rangers Role

Joe Aribo has received huge praise from his club boss for how he has adapted to his new role on the football pitch.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard has pointed out that at no time did he ask the Nigeria international to play as a winger. Rather, Aribo has been given the freedom to rove all over the pitch in whatever capacity he believes he can help his team to hurt the opposition.

Get FREE football updates
email address
The 23-year-old has blossomed of late, delivering a string of fine performances as the Light Blues have clinched six straight victories in all competitions, including a fantastic 2-1 win at Celtic Park late last year.

Aribo’s last goal came over a month ago in a 3-0 win at Hibernian, but the former Charlton Athletic midfielder has been immensely influential for the Gers.

His contributions have seen Steven Gerrard’s men move to within five points of league leaders, Celtic, with two games in hand. One of those games will be played on Sunday, as Rangers make the trip to the Tynecastle Park to trade tackles with bottom side, Hearts.

Speaking at his press conference ahead of the crucial tie, Gerrard explained how he has been able to get the best out of his star player in recent times.

“I’ll have to correct you there because he hasn’t been playing wide”, the former Liverpool hero said in response to a journalist’s question about Aribo playing as a winger.

“He’s been playing as a number 10, with freedom to go and express himself and to be on the centre of the pitch, on the left of the pitch, on the right of the pitch, wherever he feels he can go and cause trouble for the opposition.

“We want to release him from any burden in terms of tactics. So that’s where we feel like we can get the best Joe Aribo.

“I think his form, certainly over the last couple of months has been fantastic. We’re talking about a top talent here and that’s the reason why we tried so hard to get him here in the first place.”

Aribo could feature in his 19th league game of the season at Hearts as Rangers chase down champions Celtic in the Scottish Premiership.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
Re: Iwobi's position under threat

Post by chief nfachairman »

Former Tottenham Hotspur’s striker Jermain Defoe has heaped praises on his Rangers’ team-mate after the youngster’s seamless adaptation to his new role as a number ten.

The ex-England striker has been left impressed with how Super Eagles star Joe Aribo has embraced the challenge of the Scottish Premiership since joining last summer. He also believes that the youngster has been able to express himself more since he was handed a free role in an attacking setup by Rangers boss, Steven Gerrard.

Get FREE football updates
email address
The Light Blues have been able to count on the technical ability and tactical nous of the Nigeria international since arriving the Ibrox from Charlton Athletic, with the 23-year-old nailing a regular shirt in Gerrard’s Rangers starting eleven.

During his early days, Aribo was usually deployed in deep-lying positions in midfield, but he has recently been moved further upfield where he enjoys the freedom of a classic Number 10.

It is in this new position that Gers frontman Defoe feels the youngster can better express himself even more.

“For Joe Aribo – where he was sort of like, played a little bit deeper and now he is playing as a 10, closer to the goal, where I feel like he can really express himself,” Defoe told Rangers TV.

“And almost like play off the cuff without thinking too much and I feel like that’s where he’s at his best, when he can just play off the cuff and just do what he does.

“He’s been a big player for us. He’s enjoying it, he’s enjoying playing that sort of role.”

Aribo has scored six goals and provided eight assists from his 35 appearances across all competitions for Rangers this term.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

CE it's a welcome development. They're now at the top 5 leagues albeit midrated teams. now is for them to start signing for historical big clubs one milan, inter and present big clubs Juventus, Utd etc when that happen then we can start expecting to be world beaters. for now, Baba has done a tremendous job from bringing them out of BACKWATERs to big 3
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Rubbish thread. No one in that team has Iwobi's skill-set. To say Iwobi hasn't performed well as a number 10 is plain lying. Another thread to disparage a young man that has given his all whenever putting on the green and white. Aribo can be hyped and talked up without running Iwobi down.

Anyways, Alex will continue to rise while his detractors continue to open threads on the Internet.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

what a very upsetting and annoying thread title...I repeat Iwobi is better than Aribo 100% offensively. Aribo is a better box to box midfielder .. they do not play the same position

[/video]

[/video]
sick higlights :thumb: :clap: :clap:

they are both Nigerians

England head no dey house for allowing them to go ..these boys a top class
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:CE it's a welcome development. They're now at the top 5 leagues albeit midrated teams. now is for them to start signing for historical big clubs one milan, inter and present big clubs Juventus, Utd etc when that happen then we can start expecting to be world beaters. for now, Baba has done a tremendous job from bringing them out of BACKWATERs to big 3
John, so rubbish Scottish league na top 5 to you now? Abi I'm missing something? Just asking for small clarification :biggrin:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

na Scotland is still a BACKWATER I was including iwobi for aribo as a cm
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Iwobi is definitely a more cerebral player than Aribo, Aribo has the better work ethic though.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

So Aribo is now the No 10 we’ve been longing for. Ok o! I”ll hold judgement until i see him against better opposition than kilmarnock and st Johnstone. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

The funny thing about this post is that the writer Tom out Iwobi to accommodate Etebo......when last did he play football? CE
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enyi wrote:The funny thing about this post is that the writer Tom out Iwobi to accommodate Etebo......when last did he play football? CE
Yup! The better lineup is actually Aribo & Ndidi behind Iwobi . Good catch!
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The best midfield trio we have currently is

Iwobi, Aribo, Ndidi

Etebo is the odd man out because he is not a cerebral player, does not have the passing range, intelligence, and calm goal threat and offensive ability that Aribo brings, while Aribo also brings much of the same skill set Etebo offers.

Once we get Ejaria, Etebo will move down further in the order and Ejaria will likely challenge either Aribo or Iwobi for a starting spot.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote:The best midfield trio we have currently is

Iwobi, Aribo, Ndidi

Etebo is the odd man out because he is not a cerebral player, does not have the passing range, intelligence, and calm goal threat and offensive ability that Aribo brings, while Aribo also brings much of the same skill set Etebo offers.

Once we get Ejaria, Etebo will move down further in the order and Ejaria will likely challenge either Aribo or Iwobi for a starting spot.
VE head don correct in 2020 :clap: :clap:

I think we actually play a bery effective 4321 with nacho and chukwueze behind osihmen. If all are healthy and in form this is the best team we got.

Uzoho

Ebuehi Ekong Awaziem collins

Ndidi Iwobi Aribo

Chukwueze Nacho

Osihmen

Imho, this is the best possible tram we can produce with the talent available.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

Iwobi, Aribo, Ndidi

I think we actually play a bery effective 4321 with nacho and chukwueze behind osihmen. If all are healthy and in form this is the best team we got.

Uzoho

Ndidi Iwobi Aribo

Chukwueze Nacho

Osihmen

As I look at this lineup my only thought is for Ndidi who will have a huge amount of work cleaning up following several ball turn overs from others. Meanwhile, the back four will be breathing hard seeking for help when in ball recovery mode. Just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:

Iwobi, Aribo, Ndidi

I think we actually play a bery effective 4321 with nacho and chukwueze behind osihmen. If all are
healthy and in form this is the best team we got.

Uzoho

Ndidi Iwobi Aribo

Chukwueze Nacho

Osihmen

As I look at this lineup my only thought is for Ndidi who will have a huge amount of work cleaning up following several ball turn overs from others. Meanwhile, the back four will be breathing hard seeking for help when in ball recovery mode. Just my tuppence.
You do have a point but i believe that this team will do a much better Job keeping possession of the ball. Aribo has a high work rate, he’s Very good at the recovery phase and could operate from deep.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:So Aribo is now the No 10 we’ve been longing for. Ok o! I”ll hold judgement until i see him against better opposition than kilmarnock and st Johnstone. :laugh:
Its a pity he chickened out of the Brazil game. :taunt:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Enugu II wrote:

Iwobi, Aribo, Ndidi

Uzoho

Ndidi Iwobi Aribo

Chukwueze Nacho

Osihmen

Agree.

And they should play to strength.

-----------Osimhen

------Nacho---------Samuel

Aina---Aribo(etebo)---Ndidi---Ebuehi

----kenneth--Ekong--Awaziem.

How I wish victor Moses would come back.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

It is unfortunate that in the ever evolving sport of football, people continue to be fixated with labels. Note that in modern football, a playmaker can operate from several different positions; from deep in midfield, from the wings and from a more forward position such as attacking midfielder or creative support striker. In the current dispensation, Iwobi is definitely our most effective playmaker, especially given the fact of Iheanacho’s exclusion from the team. The question for me is what is Iwobi’s best position on the field? Without a doubt, he is more effective on the wings than he is centrally. Therefore, Nigeria should be playing him on the left wing. Sooner or later, any sensible coach would have to consider Iheanacho in the picture. He is a premium creative support striker. That much should be obvious to any student of football. Personally, I believe the best formation for Nigeria, given the available personnel, is 4-4-2 and here’s how I would line them up:

Ezenwa
(I’ve never been sold on Uzoho and his performances haven’t exactly justified his selection as #1)

Awaziem Ekong Umeruo Aina (or whoever else is able to step up)

Chukwueze Aribo Ndidi Iwobi

Iheanacho
Osimhen

Cheers.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Interesting lineup, who would have imagined Amuneke playing as a right winger and Finidi on the left.
I can live with 442.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

When we cap-tie the likes of ademola lookman, Ejaria, Dessers and maybe Eze as it's seems very likely the case soon ... How will they fit into the team?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Iwobi back from injury and back in the starting lineup.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

maceo4 wrote:Iwobi back from injury and back in the starting lineup.

I see you are a fan of Iwobi :biggrin:
Sorry for the hard life you have as a fan.
I would hazard a guess that you are an Arsenal fan as well. :biggrin:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Iwobi is a poor poor player.