NFF says Enyimba is second and will represent Nigeria in CAF

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
NFF says Enyimba is second and will represent Nigeria in CAF

Post by Purity »

The NFF refused to announce the runners up in the Nigeria league to clarify teams that will represent Nigeria in CAF clubs competition.

also, DG of NCDC, releases letter sent to Anmabra FA ahead of the election that was cancelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_KFr3nbe0I
Last edited by Purity on Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NFF yet to announce runners up in NPFL

Post by Enugu II »

Purity wrote:The NFF refused to announce the runners up in the Nigeria league to clarify teams that will represent Nigeria in CAF clubs competition.

also, DG of NCDC, releases letter sent to Anmabra FA ahead of the election that was cancelled.

Purity,

One issue that I am surprised has not raised any dust is the mechanism for selecting the other rep for the CAF Cup. How was it decided to give the last year's FA Cup champ another short at a trophy for which they were previously entered the year before? What was the thinking behind that (Am I correct on this?). Is this not an unprecedented opportunity of a second bite at the cherry? Why was the 4th placed team in the NPFL not considered to represent Nigeria ahead of the Pillars? What exactly was the rationale here?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
Purity wrote:The NFF refused to announce the runners up in the Nigeria league to clarify teams that will represent Nigeria in CAF clubs competition.

Purity,

One issue that I am surprised has not raised any dust is the mechanism for selecting the other rep for the CAF Cup. How was it decided to give the last year's FA Cup champ another short at a trophy for which they were previously entered the year before? What was the thinking behind that (Am I correct on this?). Is this not an unprecedented opportunity of a second bite at the cherry? Why was the 4th placed team in the NPFL not considered to represent Nigeria ahead of the Pillars? What exactly was the rationale here?
EII,

I think Kano Pillars are regarded as the FA cup champions, having not yet been dethroned, and took the automatic slot reserved for the cup winners.

I may be wrong but I do not think NFF is at liberty to change CAF statute on who represents the country in CAF competitions.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

OFFICIAL: Plateau United and Enyimba to represent Nigeria at the CAF Champions League while Rivers United and Kano Pillars will be representatives in the CAF Confederations Cup.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
NFF announce Enyimba as runners up in Nigeria league. (updat

Post by Purity »

The Nff says Head to head will be used. Meaning Enyimba is second and not Rivers United.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Purity,

EII,

I think Kano Pillars are regarded as the FA cup champions, having not yet been dethroned, and took the automatic slot reserved for the cup winners.

I may be wrong but I do not think NFF is at liberty to change CAF statute on who represents the country in CAF competitions.

Good point. But is it fair?

That means they get two bites at the competition. Okay oooo!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Purity,

EII,

Good point. But is it fair?

That means they get two bites at the competition. Okay oooo!
I get your point EII but we are in extraordinary times without enough resources to navigate through it. Staging the competition in one venue under covid measures, like Uefa is doing with the knock-out phase of UCL, would have been the ideal thing but the NPFL and the clubs are resource constrained.

Even the method adopted in ending the league cannot be said to be fair. Some teams played more home matches than others. Also, some teams pick up later in the season when injured players return, funds are released, distractions of continental competition are over, etc. etc. If PPG was used in EPL at the time it was stopped, Leicester City would be in UCL and ManUtd in Europa.
ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: NFF says Enyimba is second and will represent Nigeria in

Post by ukwala »

Rivers United To Drag LMC To FIFA, CAS Over NPFL Table

https://www.completesports.com/rivers-u ... pfl-table/
Rivers United are ready to drag the League Management Company (LMC) to both FIFA and CAS over the final NPFL table released by the body, reports Completesports.com.

The Port Harcourt-based club described the final NPFL table which placed them third behind Enyimba as “fake.

The LMC on Friday published the final NPFL standings for the aborted 2019/20 season on Friday.

Enyimba were placed as runners-up on both PPG and WPPG ahead of Rivers United.

In a statement signed by general manager Okey Kpalukwu, Rivers United challenged their placing.

“Our attention has been drawn to a purported Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) table being circulated around the media space wherein Plateau United, Enyimba and Rivers United were placed first, second and third respectively,” the statement read in part.

“According to the purported table, while Rivers United and Enyimba were tied on same number of points, a totally strange/ inconclusive head-to-head consideration affected by same force majuere was used to place Enyimba in the second position.

“Nothing can be further from the truth; as such consideration can only exist in the imagination of those peddling the fake table.”

Rivers United argued their case: “For emphasis and to inform discerning members of the public, what is internationally known and even in the rule books of League Management Company (LMC) of Nigeria is that points are the first basis of separating teams, followed by goal difference before head to head.

“The Points Per Game (PPG) model adopted by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and LMC is a straight forward co-efficient of dividing the total number of points with the total number of matches played as when the league was suspended in order to guarantee fairness to club that played less number of matches.”

They continued the argument, “With the application of PPG , all teams are now measured equally erasing the scenario of whether or not any club played higher number of matches than the other.

“It also follows therefore that in separating the tie by goal difference, is to divide number of goals scored by number of matches played to arrive at a coefficient.

“Based on the above, it is obvious that Rivers United is the second-placed team and no amount of false narratives will deceive those who should know.”

Rivers United said they will petition relevant authorities to resolve this impasse.

“We have already made our position known to the NFF and LMC and, we expect that justice will be served without fear or favour,” they said.

“On a final note, we may be compelled to explore all legitimate means available, including formal petitions to FIFA, CAF, and CAS to ventilate our grievances and press for justice.”

© 2005-2020 Complete Communications.All rights reserved Optimised by Newsgain
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote:Rivers United To Drag LMC To FIFA, CAS Over NPFL Table

Rivers United are ready to drag the League Management Company (LMC) to both FIFA and CAS over the final NPFL table released by the body, reports Completesports.com.

The Port Harcourt-based club described the final NPFL table which placed them third behind Enyimba as “fake.

The LMC on Friday published the final NPFL standings for the aborted 2019/20 season on Friday.

In a statement signed by general manager Okey Kpalukwu, Rivers United challenged their placing.

“Our attention has been drawn to a purported Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) table being circulated around the media space wherein Plateau United, Enyimba and Rivers United were placed first, second and third respectively,” the statement read in part.

“According to the purported table, while Rivers United and Enyimba were tied on same number of points, a totally strange/ inconclusive head-to-head consideration affected by same force majuere was used to place Enyimba in the second position.

“Nothing can be further from the truth; as such consideration can only exist in the imagination of those peddling the fake table.”

Rivers United argued their case: “For emphasis and to inform discerning members of the public, what is internationally known and even in the rule books of League Management Company (LMC) of Nigeria is that points are the first basis of separating teams, followed by goal difference before head to head.

“The Points Per Game (PPG) model adopted by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and LMC is a straight forward co-efficient of dividing the total number of points with the total number of matches played as when the league was suspended in order to guarantee fairness to club that played less number of matches.”

They continued the argument, “With the application of PPG , all teams are now measured equally erasing the scenario of whether or not any club played higher number of matches than the other.

“It also follows therefore that in separating the tie by goal difference, is to divide number of goals scored by number of matches played to arrive at a coefficient.

“Based on the above, it is obvious that Rivers United is the second-placed team and no amount of false narratives will deceive those who should know.”

Rivers United said they will petition relevant authorities to resolve this impasse.

“We have already made our position known to the NFF and LMC and, we expect that justice will be served without fear or favour,” they said.

“On a final note, we may be compelled to explore all legitimate means available, including formal petitions to FIFA, CAF, and CAS to ventilate our grievances and press for justice.”

:rotf: :rotf: This is just grandstanding and empty threats. Wake me up when Rivers United actually takes this step. Just moments of laughter, if you ask me. If I am NFF, I will not lose any sleep.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

ukwala wrote:Rivers United To Drag LMC To FIFA, CAS Over NPFL Table

I can tell you that Rivers United will lose this case. Just look at the Scottish league as an example. The League's decision was final due to the unprecedented circumstances
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Rivers United have a very good case, but it will cost money to facilitate this and it has to be done now. Head to Head should count first, but only if the two sides have played each other.. In this case, They only met once, the next step should be goal difference.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

1 Rivers United earned all their points on the pitch
2. Even with PPG Rivers United were ahead on goal difference
3 why use Head to head when they played only one game in aba .
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Rivers United could appeal this.. See press their release..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1eh1D ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf1eh1DF4qE[/video]