Ejuke - How Good is This Player?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ejuke - How Good is This Player?

Post by Damunk »

mystic wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Onyekuru should be nowhere near the conversation by the way.

He is behind Ejuke, Dennis, Okereke and I would even invite Lookman ahead of him.

Okereke has not been consistent enough to merit national team attention. Ditto for Lookman. They are both promising players, but I don't think they are in the picture for this current window of international games.
But isn't it great that quality young players are having to fight for a call-up, not becos they are being asked to 'drop', but because there are other quality players fighting for the same spot.

Even at the best of times (94-98), our first eleven was basically set and the bench was weak. I really only recall us ever having a few 'strong' men on the bench, like Babangida for Finidi and Ikpeba. For the majority of positions, there was a marked drop in quality.

In fact, even some of our 'first eleveners' were questionable. How good were they really?
No disrespect to them, but players like Chidi Nwanu, Emenalo, Uche Okafor and Eguavon I did not regard as particularly brilliant but they were the best we had and we adored them regardless.
Same thing with Oparaku and Garba Lawal 4 yrs later.

I think Westerhoff got the best out of them as a team, rather than anything else.
Competition as we are seeing it now is good as it pushes standards higher.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Damunk wrote:
mystic wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Onyekuru should be nowhere near the conversation by the way.

He is behind Ejuke, Dennis, Okereke and I would even invite Lookman ahead of him.

Okereke has not been consistent enough to merit national team attention. Ditto for Lookman. They are both promising players, but I don't think they are in the picture for this current window of international games.
But isn't it great that quality young players are having to fight for a call-up, not becos they are being asked to 'drop', but because there are other quality players fighting for the same spot.

Even at the best of times (94-98), our first eleven was basically set and the bench was weak. I really only recall us ever having a few 'strong' men on the bench, like Babangida for Finidi and Ikpeba. For the majority of positions, there was a marked drop in quality.

In fact, even some of our 'first eleveners' were questionable. How good were they really?
No disrespect to them, but players like Chidi Nwanu, Emenalo, Uche Okafor and Eguavon I did not regard as particularly brilliant but they were the best we had and we adored them regardless.
Same thing with Oparaku and Garba Lawal 4 yrs later.

I think Westerhoff got the best out of them as a team, rather than anything else.
Competition as we are seeing it now is good as it pushes standards higher.
I was just thinking yesterday that we have never had a stronger 23 in our history. As you point out even though we have probably had stronger 11's our benches were never really strong. We have players today that would not even make our 23 that would be starters in previous editions. We have guys like Lookman, Okereke, Dennis, Ejuke who cannot make our squads who would easily start over the Oduamadis, Uzoenyi Ejikes, etc. Baloguns who would start over the Nwaneris etc.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

vancity eagle wrote:
I was just thinking yesterday that we have never had a stronger 23 in our history. As you point out even though we have probably had stronger 11's our benches were never really strong. We have players today that would not even make our 23 that would be starters in previous editions. We have guys like Lookman, Okereke, Dennis, Ejuke who cannot make our squads who would easily start over the Oduamadis, Uzoenyi Ejikes, etc. Baloguns who would start over the Nwaneris etc.
My bad! I thought you wrote a stronger u-23! upon reading again, it was obvious stronger 23 squad (SE).

Yes, we have had.....

Atlanta 1996. Gold

Rio 2016. Bronze
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

fabio wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Yes, we have had.....

Atlanta 1996. Gold

Rio 2016. Bronze
We've had stronger squads than this. The SE between 1996 and 1998 had a powerful squad that even the 1997 APOY, Victor Ikpeba, couldn't start a match. I remember Nigeria v Guinea in 1997 WCQ, in Lagos which we won 2-1. We had on the bench Amunike (Barcelona), Babayaro ( Chelsea), Ikpeba (Monaco), Babangida( Ajax) and Akpoborie ( Stuttgart).
Now that was strength in depth!
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

how can someone say that this is our strongest squad? lol or do you think it's about scoring at BACKWATER club that you use to define strongest? how many APOY 3 nominees are in this squad?? 0. how many APOY winners are on this team? 0 how many players are playing at the best clubs in the world i.e Chelsea, Barcelona etc 0. it's better to be quiet than speak nonsense
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

john12 wrote:how can someone say that this is our strongest squad? lol or do you think it's about scoring at BACKWATER club that you use to define strongest? how many APOY 3 nominees are in this squad?? 0. how many APOY winners are on this team? 0 how many players are playing at the best clubs in the world i.e Chelsea, Barcelona etc 0. it's better to be quiet than speak nonsense
Learn to read and comprehend, before writing nonsense!!!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:how can someone say that this is our strongest squad? lol or do you think it's about scoring at BACKWATER club that you use to define strongest? how many APOY 3 nominees are in this squad?? 0. how many APOY winners are on this team? 0 how many players are playing at the best clubs in the world i.e Chelsea, Barcelona etc 0. it's better to be quiet than speak nonsense
SQUAD. SQUAD. SQUAD.!!!!
A squad strength is an aggregate of all the players in it.
Otherwise Liberia's squad with George Weah as WPOY would have been one of the strongest squads of the time.
Anyway, since you seem to be the expert on 'backwater' leagues, for comparison purposes, TELL US WHICH OF THE 1994 SQUAD MEMBERS WERE IN FRONTWATER LEAGUES AND WHICH WERE IN BACKWATER LEAGUES.
Oya, we dey wait..... :D
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Damunk wrote:
SQUAD. SQUAD. SQUAD.!!!!
Otherwise Liberia's squad with George Weah as WPOY would have been one of the strongest squads of the time.
Anyway, since you seem to be the expert on 'backwater' leagues, for comparison purposes, TELL US WHICH OF THE 1994 SQUAD MEMBERS WERE IN FRONTWATER LEAGUES AND WHICH WERE IN BACKWATER LEAGUES.

How can you compare 1994 teams to 2020? Leagues were no way as strong as they were back then and there wasn’t the kind of money there is today. Still, the 94 team had players at Ajax, Frankfurt, Bruges,Santander Wimbledon etc all of which played in the top league of their countries.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Damunk wrote:
SQUAD. SQUAD. SQUAD.!!!!

How can you compare 1994 teams to 2020? Leagues were no way as strong as they were back then and there wasn’t the kind of money there is today. Still, the 94 team had players at Ajax, Frankfurt, Bruges,Santander Wimbledon etc all of which played in the top league of their countries.
How do you intend to back up this statement?
I'm just curious. They seem contradictory.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

This boy no get respect at all. See dribu! :shock:
[/video]
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:This boy no get respect at all. See dribu! :shock:
[/video]
That is simply insulting the defenders!
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

He has a good engine, awareness of space and dribble. I like his intensity, a menacing player with speed if running at a defender. He'll look really good on a counter attacking team. Take the dribble out of him and you break the player. Need to watch some of his games to determine ball distribution, set plays if any, ability in the air and how he copes with teams that won't give him space. Hope we see more of him. Dunno how much football we'll get per corona virus and all.

Nigeria should never miss the olympics again, perfect place for grooming upcoming young SE players.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

African players are really unlucky sha. just imagine some of these youngstars had Brazilian or Argentine names do you know the kind of clubs that will be aiming for their signature? real, Barca, etc we're unlucky in all manners of field
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

john12 wrote:African players are really unlucky sha. just imagine some of these youngstars had Brazilian or Argentine names do you know the kind of clubs that will be aiming for their signature? real, Barca, etc we're unlucky in all manners of field
But the Super Eagles are yet to use him.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

eaglesbreak
I feel like it's just a matter of time that he will be capped. the guy might even be listed on standby for our nextgame
Last edited by john12 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:eaglesbreak

I feel like it's just a matter of time that he will be capped. the guy might even be listed on standby for our nextgame
Weytin do your quote button since?
Are you using a BACKWATER phone and laptop? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

damunk
Are you using a BACKWATER phone and laptop? 

lol
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

john12 wrote:
damunk
Are you using a BACKWATER phone and laptop? 

lol
You still have a problem bro.
Your post above gives the impression you dey ask me kweshon.
Meanwhile, na me dey ask you kweshon.
So what is wrong with your device(s)?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Likes to celebrate goals with an Obafemi Martins style somersault too...
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

wiseone wrote:Likes to celebrate goals with an Obafemi Martins style somersault too...
That thing has become a Naija signature goal celebration.
I think it was Agahowa that was the King.
There was Martins, Babayaro.....

[/video]

Even 'big guy' Efe Ambrose

[/video]
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Anyone watching Ejuke Vs Ajax? He's tormenting Ajax. Just laid a sitter for his teammate who missed when it was far easier to score.

It's half time right now.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cally wrote:Anyone watching Ejuke Vs Ajax? He's tormenting Ajax. Just laid a sitter for his teammate who missed when it was far easier to score.

link ?
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

vancity eagle wrote:
Cally wrote:Anyone watching Ejuke Vs Ajax? He's tormenting Ajax. Just laid a sitter for his teammate who missed when it was far easier to score.

link ?
So sorry, I'm watching on ESPN+ App, so I cant post a link.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."