ARIBO: Too Weak for African Football --- Taribo West

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ARIBO: Too Weak for African Football --- Taribo West

Post by Enugu II »

GET HIM OUT Rangers news: Nigeria legend Taribo West says Joe Aribo is too weak to play for his country
Mark Walker
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... ribo-weak/
21 May 2020, 11:25Updated: 21 May 2020, 11:27

NIGERIAN legend Taribo West has launched an attack on Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo after claiming he's too weak to play for the Super Eagles.

Ibrox ace Aribo opted to play for Nigeria last year and has been widely praised in Africa for his performances in international football.
Aribo has scored two goals in just four appearances for Nigeria including a goal against Brazil in a friendly last year, as well as a goal against Ukraine.
But he's not convinced former Inter Milan, AC Milan and Derby County defender West, who doesn't think he's cut out to play for his country.

He believes Getafe star Oghenekaro Etebo should play ahead of Aribo instead.

West said: "I've watched Joe Aribo play for Nigeria, but in my view, it's clear he is yet to come to terms with it.
In my view, Taribo is correct but this problem is not a permanent one and can be overcome. We saw it with Iwobi in the early days but Iwobi has become comfortable with the physicality. Remarkably my own report on Aribo's recent game for the Super Eagles https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/11/ ... etter.htmlreflects the same sentiment.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
olu
Egg
Egg
Re: ARIBO: Too Weak for African Football --- Taribo West

Post by olu »

It's too premature for West to make such a statement. He's had just one bad game. Yes he struggled against Lesotho, but that's not because Lesotho was an overly physical team. He may have just had a bad day at the office. He was very good in the other 2 games against quality opposition.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

He is strong enough for World football.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Scottish football is very physical. Aribo struggled against Lesotho because of the bad plastic pitch.
I am happy
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Look who is talking but then again his reference point is on Stone Age football; Taribo would get red card every match if he played in today’s modern football. His Stone Age type tackling would not work in modern football of today.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote:Scottish football is very physical. Aribo struggled against Lesotho because of the bad plastic pitch.
Kpom. Lesotho isn't even a physical team.

I even rewatched 20 minute highlights from our Benin match, and Aribo made a few good plays. This is all much ado about nothing.

I like both Etebo and Aribo, both have their strengths, and I would perhaps consider starting either based on our opponents. It is good to have these options.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

we need to move from the thought that the cockney Eagles are ajebutters who will fear all physically rigorous ball. A lot of them come in prepared and informed about the differences.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

kalani JR wrote:we need to move from the thought that the cockney Eagles are ajebutters who will fear all physically rigorous ball. A lot of them come in prepared and informed about the differences.
Doubt anybody thought Shittu was ajebutter lol, the guy does look frail but hasn’t shown to not be up to the task as far as physicality is concerned.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Iwobi, Ekong, Balogun etc all adjusted. Aribo will be fine.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

The thought crossed my mind, but so far he's held his own.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

maceo4 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:we need to move from the thought that the cockney Eagles are ajebutters who will fear all physically rigorous ball. A lot of them come in prepared and informed about the differences.
Doubt anybody thought Shittu was ajebutter lol, the guy does look frail but hasn’t shown to not be up to the task as far as physicality is concerned.
Don't mention that lard azz.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

olu wrote:It's too premature for West to make such a statement. He's had just one bad game. Yes he struggled against Lesotho, but that's not because Lesotho was an overly physical team. He may have just had a bad day at the office. He was very good in the other 2 games against quality opposition.
Yeah, agreed. There’s more time for him to establish himself...and if you click West’s full comments via the link, he did say Aribo needs more time

My own issue with Aribo is that he tends to disappear in games
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Enugu II wrote:
GET HIM OUT Rangers news: Nigeria legend Taribo West says Joe Aribo is too weak to play for his country
Mark Walker
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... ribo-weak/
21 May 2020, 11:25Updated: 21 May 2020, 11:27

NIGERIAN legend Taribo West has launched an attack on Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo after claiming he's too weak to play for the Super Eagles.

Ibrox ace Aribo opted to play for Nigeria last year and has been widely praised in Africa for his performances in international football.
Aribo has scored two goals in just four appearances for Nigeria including a goal against Brazil in a friendly last year, as well as a goal against Ukraine.
But he's not convinced former Inter Milan, AC Milan and Derby County defender West, who doesn't think he's cut out to play for his country.

He believes Getafe star Oghenekaro Etebo should play ahead of Aribo instead.

West said: "I've watched Joe Aribo play for Nigeria, but in my view, it's clear he is yet to come to terms with it.
In my view, Taribo is correct but this problem is not a permanent one and can be overcome. We saw it with Iwobi in the early days but Iwobi has become comfortable with the physicality. Remarkably my own report on Aribo's recent game for the Super Eagles https://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2019/11/ ... etter.htmlreflects the same sentiment.
Prof EII:

Please check your PM
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

jette1 wrote:Look who is talking but then again his reference point is on Stone Age football; Taribo would get red card every match if he played in today’s modern football. His Stone Age type tackling would not work in modern football of today.
Taribo played for AC Milan and Inter Milan. Joe Aribo played for div 3 Charlton and useless Scottish league.

You are a number brother, so I am not surprised by you comment. :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

I think something similar was said about Ndidi. Look at Ndidi now? Too early to say, besides Aribo can easily adapt to African refereeing not necessarily the physicality per say and ofcourse he can also adapt to the physicality, just needs to bulk up a little and he'll be fine. It's more what the African referee allows to let go. Some of the offences they let go could quite easily collect a double Red Card in Europe, if that did indeed exist :laugh: .
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

You guys are basically giving credence to pace and power analysis.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

kalani JR wrote:You guys are basically giving credence to pace and power analysis.
No mind dem! If na oyibo talk am ,dey go dey shout racism!
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

Anybody listening to Taribo will think that he won the world cup for Nigeria when he played with his strength. I'm not sure Taribo watched Aribo against Brazil. Yes, that's the type of team that should be used to measure the strength of a player and not these poor African teams. Should Aribo improve on his work rate? Yes but all these talks about physicality hold no water. Players like Aribo did not grow up in a gra gra environment.
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

Were Algeria or Madagascar physically stronger than we were before beating us in AFCON. Doesn't make sense. Being an ex-international is no licence to express baseless sentimental opinions.
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:You guys are basically giving credence to pace and power analysis.
Kalani JR.,

Actually, there is a huge and crucial difference between the two.(1) What is criticized is one is written as an enduring characteristic i.e. unchanging. In addition, it is attached to a particular racial group. (2) What is discussed here is not an enduring characteristic but a learned behavior, which can change overtime.

The above is a crucial difference between what is criticized as radicalized and what is being criticized as a learned behavior.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

danfo driver wrote:
jette1 wrote:Look who is talking but then again his reference point is on Stone Age football; Taribo would get red card every match if he played in today’s modern football. His Stone Age type tackling would not work in modern football of today.
Taribo played for AC Milan and Inter Milan. Joe Aribo played for div 3 Charlton and useless Scottish league.

You are a number brother, so I am not surprised by you comment. :oops:
:lol: Jette1 is a numbered pickin! i have been noticing his silly comments for quite some time now :cry:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Kalani JR.,

Actually, there is a huge and crucial difference between the two.(1) What is criticized is one is written as an enduring characteristic i.e. unchanging. In addition, it is attached to a particular racial group. (2) What is discussed here is not an enduring characteristic but a learned behavior, which can change overtime.

The above is a crucial difference between what is criticized as radicalized and what is being criticized as a learned behavior.
Prof., Aribo is strong enough.

The first shock as also with EPL, Scottish League and African Football is the level of fouls the referee will let you get away with.

Once a professional comes to terms with the no-calls he will adapt.

He will go into challenges prepared, he will not dwell on the ball...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Kalani JR.,

Prof., Aribo is strong enough.

The first shock as also with EPL, Scottish League and African Football is the level of fouls the referee will let you get away with.

Once a professional comes to terms with the no-calls he will adapt.

He will go into challenges prepared, he will not dwell on the ball...
Cell,

I agree completely. He has the physical tools to eventually adapt to the non-calls and the physical aspects. If Iwobi can, I have little doubt that Aribo will.